Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

What about custom music in MANW-missions / campaigns?

Are they allowed / forbidden?

I'm thinking of 3 categories of custom music:

1. Music of soundtracks, movies, etc.

2. Selfmade music

3. Music of previous Arma games (OFP, A1 and 2)

While I believe I know the answer for 1 (guess they're forbidden :( - or what do you think?), I really would like to know if we can add old BI game songs to our missions!

1. This would not be allowed. Copyright issue

2. If you made literally everything about the song yourself, no sampling or whatever, it's fine

3. Unsure on this.

Basically since theres money involved using copywrited material is a biiig nono. I suggest royalty free music sites.

1. Definitely not allowed.

2. As long as you made the music yourself or it is licensed under a license compatible with the contest terms.

3. Pretty much the same answer as number one unless BIS states otherwise.

That may mean at least two things:

1. Most projects will be without music;

2. Contest is also potentially attractive for the composers/musicians, which is great thing, as there are very few known to me around at the moment, while good music illustration is so important.

i was thinking to try myself on making custom music pack, which my own tracks, for user missions usage. In which category can this fit, addons?

BIS, can we please use your (previous) Arma tracks??

Would be great because the A3 music is quite... thin in terms of quantity and diversity...

Edit: Ok, I partially have to revoke that :) - just looked in the config viewer in the editor. There is a decent number of tracks available, which I didn't know about. I only looked in the Bonus folder which comes with the Support Edition.

Nevertheless there could be some more tracks. ;) Many of them are contained twice or even more.

Edited by Undeceived

That may mean at least two things:

1. Most projects will be without music;

2. Contest is also potentially attractive for the composers/musicians, which is great thing, as there are very few known to me around at the moment, while good music illustration is so important.

I'd been thinking about the whole music aspect of things myself recently and come to some similar conclusions...

There IS a reasonable range of "Default A3" music tracks to work with - pretty good ones at that!" - I've been quite impressed with the standard of music in the new release - but if everyone's using the same tracks they're likely to get quite "stale" after a while... plus, the essence of a good soundtrack lies in it's ability to complement and enhance the action on-screen, whether it's atmospheric in-mission background music, an intro, a cutscene or promo video... you want it to fit...

i was thinking to try myself on making custom music pack, which my own tracks, for user missions usage. In which category can this fit, addons?

Sounds like a terrific idea, NeuroFunker!

I'm pretty sure a "Generic Soundtracks Pack" would be a hugely welcome addon - I'm not sure if there's actually any other similar addons around at all! Like Rydygier says, there's very few "composer-modders" around!

If you're interested in your music being part of a competition submission it might also be a good idea to offer your services to a Mod Team (or two) as "in-house composer", which would allow you to work in conjunction with other team members - "storyboarding" your music sections into their various cutscenes, etc for a really professional result, specifically tailored to the purpose... With a different modteam, it might be a similar workflow, but a whole different style and ambience of music to suit their particular atmospheres...

Plenty of creative opportunities!

After a decade or two gathering dust, I've just recently dusted off my old synths & guitars collection and started messing with some incidental music myself!... I bought a cheap(ish) Audio Interface for the PC and got a freebie basic Cubase with it! :) - Wow! Last time I used this program it was on an Atari ST... heheh...

Results have been fairly cheesy so far :D... it's been a lot of fun though!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I'd been thinking about the whole music aspect of things myself recently and come to some similar conclusions...

There IS a reasonable range of "Default A3" music tracks to work with - pretty good ones at that!" - I've been quite impressed with the standard of music in the new release - but if everyone's using the same tracks they're likely to get quite "stale" after a while... plus, the essence of a good soundtrack lies in it's ability to complement and enhance the action on-screen, whether it's atmospheric in-mission background music, an intro, a cutscene or promo video... you want it to fit...

Sounds like a terrific idea, NeuroFunker!

I'm pretty sure a "Generic Soundtracks Pack" would be a hugely welcome addon - I'm not sure if there's actually any other similar addons around at all! Like Rydygier says, there's very few "composer-modders" around!

If you're interested in your music being part of a competition submission it might also be a good idea to offer your services to a Mod Team (or two) as "in-house composer", which would allow you to work in conjunction with other team members - "storyboarding" your music sections into their various cutscenes, etc for a really professional result, specifically tailored to the purpose... With a different modteam, it might be a similar workflow, but a whole different style and ambience of music to suit their particular atmospheres...

Plenty of creative opportunities!

After a decade or two gathering dust, I've just recently dusted off my old synths & guitars collection and started messing with some incidental music myself!... I bought a cheap(ish) Audio Interface for the PC and got a freebie basic Cubase with it! :) - Wow! Last time I used this program it was on an Atari ST... heheh...

Results have been fairly cheesy so far :D... it's been a lot of fun though!

B

thanks for the reply, already got replied by Korneel in questions thread, yeah maybe i'll offer my work to any mod teams out there. after i have done some. hehe enjoy the process, making music is really one of most creative jobs out there ;)

Just for your information, the music from Arma series has been released as part of the Arma Licensed Data Pack, so there is a possibility of using all the older tracks in Arma 3:

• ALDP_CWC_PBOs_APL-SA\Music.pbo
  • ALDP_A2_PBOs_part2_APL-SA\music.pbo
  • ALDP_A2OA_PBOs_APL-SA\music_e.pbo
  • ALDP_A2OADLC_PBOs_APL\OA_BAF\data_baf.pbo
  • ALDP_A2OADLC_PBOs_APL-SA\OA_PMC\music_pmc.pbo

Of course, seeing the dedicated music packs for Arma again would be awesome (in case of taking part in the contest, please submit to the Addon category)! :) Anyone remembering Cassandra G's tracks done for Ballistics' Tonal pack or tracks the FDF Mod got from Airut?

Interesting discussion, as Neurofunk said. Maybe it's time to reroute some of ones spare time for film music composition. :D

so how is arma 3 ,future' then?

modding is not allowed very freely?

if we cant use any content from ofp or arma 1-2, to make arma 3 better, what we can do or play?

what content we can use from bi games and what not?

EDIT:

i found my answer

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169634-Content-Licensing-Questions-and-Answers

Edited by Faultron

Is it okay to enter the contest with some 3rd party custom music and voice-acting, both made for the mission. Also having some sounds from freesounds.org. Planning later probably to have totally 3rd party free version (only for the competition), but would be nice to apply for the contest already when it starts.

I would assume that 3rd party music is OK as long as

1. It's your creation in it's entirety (the copyright lies with you).

2. In the public domain (the copyright expired or is otherwise not applicable)

3. Licensed under Creative Commons or otherwise and you comply with said license to the letter (the copyright is freely extended under terms).

You could technically purchase a license for copyrighted materials if you want to, but it's probably outrageously expensive.

The only question that remains: are the MANW entries considered a commercial product?

Sign in to follow this