Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

How to add an addon to mission file

Hello everyone!

BI dev Edge said that it is allowed to use an addon in contest missions / campaign if that addon is part of the mission file.

But... How can one do this? :) E.g. if I need an unit addon for a mission - how can I add it to the mission.pbo so that the player doesn't need to download and install it additionally?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Undeceived

Not possible as far as I'm aware.

The way I'm interpreting that post is that you can't ask the user to go download a separate addon of their own accord, but addons you distribute with the mission or campaign are fair game. CBA comes to mind as an example; you can't ask the user to download and install CBA, but if you get permission to include it with your submission it'd be fine.

Once again this is my best guess, so I'd recommend waiting for a more official response.

Arma supports the "Addon mission format" since Arma 1 I believe. It's how BI missions and campaigns are distributed, since you'll notice there are no missions in the "Missions", "Campaigns" or "MP Missions" folders.

Basically you're creating an addon that contains the mission, therefore you can add more stuff than with the pure mission format. You can find more about it here.

What I think Ivan is saying, is that as long as you stick to that single .pbo, you can add new units or whatever with it. Multiple PBO's for missions seem to be disallowed. (Distributing your mission.pbo and an additional unit.pbo)

At least that's how I'm interpreting that "no extra addon installation" bit.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Yeah, that's how I understood it as well.

Thanks for the info, sniper - helped a lot!