Sign in to follow this  
astrospud

Command mode question: getting fire teams to mount up in vehicles

I've been playing around with the High command module and voice commands, inspired by video put up by Jester814.

My question is: In command mode (CTRL + Space), how do you order fireteams into vehicles, like the Marshal?

The work around by Jester in the video was to have direct control of the infantry units, but I would like to have the team leaders linked to the subordinate module, for a simulated unified chain of command.

Is this possible, or am I missing something? My teams don't want to respond the vehicle in any way....

I never managed to do it in A2 and since it haven't changed in A3, don't think is possible. I'm not even sure it is "officialy" on A3.

IMO the HC can be a good answer to some player controlling squad AIs problems.

I've done some digging in the Feedback tracker (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12934) and it seems you need to sync a fireteam with their own transport before syncing that with the subordinate module. I haven't tried this, but I foresee a problem when things invariably turn to chaos.

The way I see it, at the end of an engagement there may be some losses - be they mechanised or infantry. If a Fireteam still has the numbers, but their synced transport has been knocked out, there is no way they can "bum a ride" with, say a Ghosthawk or similar. They are forced to slog it to next waypoint. This offers a level of inconvenience that I think needs to be addressed, unless there is a workaround that I haven't come across yet.

That being said, I am only learning how to do this side of things with the assistance Jester814's Youtube channel.

Is there any documentation anywhere to say how to use modules in Arma 3?

So, it turns out that you need to place a mechanised or motorised team down from Groups, not create fire teams and hope they jump in any Marshall.

For each Mechanised unit, put down a Subordinate module and sync the Squad leader to that SO module, then sync the SO module to your HC module.

Now preview the mission, give each team a way point, right click the waypoint, select Type, then Get In.

You are effectly giving orders to the Squad leader and not the Vehicle Crew. The squad leader will order the squad to mount up, given the vehicle is nearby.

A word of warning, though. It turns out that driver awareness isn't that great in AI, so you may have one or more of your squad members becoming road kill if they get in the vehicles way.

Now, all I need to do now is learn how to organise multiple mechanised units into formation...