Sign in to follow this  
ZeroG

32x32km Real Life Map Project: call for inspiration and aid

Haiti is a diverse area to build a map from. Especially up north near Gonaives where you get coast/cities/mountains all in a short trip inland.

Above post is correct about the more realistic potential for regional volatility. The UN is already there all the time due to this.

I vote for you make Polar Arctic and Antarctic sea ice. snow. With hidden Ice caves. Totaly new enviorment never seen in Arma Community.

Hi ZGM,

I'm interested in coworking in a terrain editing project. I also would like to contribute with giving my suggestion about location. I've been on holidays near CHIUSA in Italy. I found ii interesting for military scenarios.

here we are som images

Frank

Klausen_in_suedtirol_um_1900.jpg

B-0750-klausen-chiusa.jpg

chiusa.jpg

Edited by frankltcol

Hm, Salzburg in Austria maybe? I mean, its mainly a City, but there is the river in the middle of the city and on the one side the Kapuzinerberg and on the other side the Festungsberg, with the "Festung Hohensalzburg", one of the biggest castles in europe.

There is also the biggest casern of Austria, Schwarzenbergkaserne and the Airport is also near. In the City there is also the Riedenburg and the Rainerkaserne.

That should all fit in the 32x32, maybe you can put in there Freilassing too.

Depending on where you start with the 32x32km its a map for mainly urban fighting i think - maybe not what you search for.

EDIT: OSM: http://osm.org/go/0IdfwN9--

Data - could be possible to get some from SAGIS, testdata is available there http://www.salzburg.gv.at/themen/se/sagis/download/testdaten.htm

Bit i dont know if its possible to get enough data for free (a shame... we pay for the research of this data and we dont get the data when we need for free*sigh*)

Edited by natrius

An island of the Hawaiian coast maybe a good one. Because this is for a game you need to think of playability and scenarios.

Agreed, coastline would be ideal..

OChristie wouldn't mind seeing your Aileu, Timor-Leste ported over sometime as well. Really enjoyed many hours in VBS2 on it.

An island of the Hawaiian coast maybe a good one. Because this is for a game you need to think of playability and scenarios.

I second the vote for a Hawaiian map, the islands of Oahu, Kauai, or Maui would be awesome.

Oddly enough that looks a lot like JC2's map.

Far from it lol

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

I second the vote for a Hawaiian map, the islands of Oahu, Kauai, or Maui would be awesome.

Sounds great, but isn't there someone already making Hawaii right now? Would be sad to see resources go to make the same areas.

;2591535']Agreed' date=' coastline would be ideal..

OChristie wouldn't mind seeing your Aileu, Timor-Leste ported over sometime as well. Really enjoyed many hours in VBS2 on it.[/quote']

Sig, I appreciate the kind words!! Unfortunately, having, misplaced the source files I am unable to make improvements to the terrain! :(

Hmm..San Clemente ain't more than a rock, is it? I think it should be more interesting = flats and mountains

Langkawi looks very nice, but comes only in low resolution I assume?

Well, tbh I have already found one favorite spot thats well suited....

Edited by ZeroG

How about Grenada or the surrounding islands like Carriacou and Petite Martinique?

Edited by ZeroG
Up for sth

It is also very interesting for the sea underwater and the fauna. Here we are an eventual inspiration for a Project Logo and Mascotte ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9dD4oqW-V5Uscyp9oWxeCRD5vpjr76pq0qfGWWn1cPylPALEe

Great choice, in my opinion. The area seems definitely seems interesting and has a lot of potential.

Good luck with your project.

I am willing to help with the heightmap section of the project specifically. I'm veryyy familiar with heightmap editing, and can provide a high quality one for the project, but am new to arma editing, and would love to gain the knowledge available by working with a group. I usually do my maps based on fictional locations, but I have just as much experience recreating real world places. Based on the idea for a hawaiin island above, I created a quick terrain to give an idea of a terrain I could provide fairly quickly.

album: http://imgur.com/a/nvtWY

1 (220 kB)

2 (232 kB)

3 (263 kB)

Edited by aaglo

If you're still taking location suggestions I think a Japanese island would be cool one of the bigger ones, maybe even main land Japan.

I really want to see what skilled hands can create In the Japan setting since it offers many types of terrain, kinda hope BIS will do Japan as the first dlc terrain they are planing, so they can throw 20 devs in a room lock the door for a week and see what they create.

Well, with help of FrankLtCol I was able to discover 5m data for spain and 2m data for Italy...so atm Im very interested in that.. :)

I am willing to help with the heightmap section of the project specifically. I'm veryyy familiar with heightmap editing, and can provide a high quality one for the project, but am new to arma editing, and would love to gain the knowledge available by working with a group. I usually do my maps based on fictional locations, but I have just as much experience recreating real world places. Based on the idea for a hawaiin island above, I created a quick terrain to give an idea of a terrain I could provide fairly quickly.

album: http://imgur.com/a/nvtWY

1 (220 kB)

2 (232 kB)

3 (263 kB)

Terrific job on the heightmap aaglo! - L3DT?

You should definitely have a go at putting one in-game...

If you're familiar with L3DT then you're at least 2/3 of the way there... Follow thru the rest of it's render procedure, generating a basic Attributes layer and Texture layer and you have a "Mask & Sat" to match your heightmap... From there all you need is a handful of suitable groundtextures (BI ones can be used) and a few config files and you're pretty much ready to go!

Arma 3 terrains are a little trickier right now since we lack some of the fundamental tools required... there's a few tricky workarounds available which will produce a working result, but it's perhaps not an ideal situation for a "First Go"...

However - if you have Arma 2, then we DO have a fully functional set of terrain tools, with tried and tested procedures to match, which you'd probably find fairly straightforward to follow. That would quickly get you all the way to your first "in-game solo terrain" (A massive personal buzz when you get it working for the first time - believe me), and 99.9% of the experience gained in doing that will be relevant for Arma 3 terrains when the appropriate tools - finally - arrive...

Take a look at This Tutorial... it's basically an L3DT heightmap, Attribute layer (Mask) and Texture layer (Sat image), plus the absolute basic necessary procedures and additional files necessary to get it in game and running...

It's well worth a try and, if you've grasped something as tricky as L3DT, you shouldn't have too much trouble following thru the rest of the procedure...

B

Terrific job on the heightmap aaglo! - L3DT?

You should definitely have a go at putting one in-game...

If you're familiar with L3DT then you're at least 2/3 of the way there... Follow thru the rest of it's render procedure, generating a basic Attributes layer and Texture layer and you have a "Mask & Sat" to match your heightmap... From there all you need is a handful of suitable groundtextures (BI ones can be used) and a few config files and you're pretty much ready to go!

Arma 3 terrains are a little trickier right now since we lack some of the fundamental tools required... there's a few tricky workarounds available which will produce a working result, but it's perhaps not an ideal situation for a "First Go"...

However - if you have Arma 2, then we DO have a fully functional set of terrain tools, with tried and tested procedures to match, which you'd probably find fairly straightforward to follow. That would quickly get you all the way to your first "in-game solo terrain" (A massive personal buzz when you get it working for the first time - believe me), and 99.9% of the experience gained in doing that will be relevant for Arma 3 terrains when the appropriate tools - finally - arrive...

Take a look at This Tutorial... it's basically an L3DT heightmap, Attribute layer (Mask) and Texture layer (Sat image), plus the absolute basic necessary procedures and additional files necessary to get it in game and running...

It's well worth a try and, if you've grasped something as tricky as L3DT, you shouldn't have too much trouble following thru the rest of the procedure...

B

Thanks for the links, I'm fairly familiar with the various tutorials at this point, maybe having read or bookmarked nearly all of them from the last 5 years... Problem is I played arma2 only a handful of times, never was interested in doing any content, then arma3 comes, I gain interest, but the tools are still for arma2. I think one day we will get arma3 tools, but I don't want to waste my time learning outdated tools when perhaps in the future we will have far greater ability with a modern editor. We cannot forget how old the current gen of tech is, I can't see any argument to learn it at this point in both the tool, and the current games life cycle. I have had a map transferred in game thanks to zerog, but I'm not interested in playing all too much, empty terrain, out of place objects, etc. For now I will just work with my heightmap, there is a lot of detail that I need to add before I could consider adding anything beyond terrain anyway. The images above were just a render I did for the hawaii idea someone threw out (I believe I saw it multiple times), but I'm actually slowly working away on another project;

1 (203 kB)

2 (363 kB)