Sign in to follow this  
ZeroG

32x32km Real Life Map Project: call for inspiration and aid

Hello folks!

We see with ALTIS that 32x32km are amazing and possible - yet not as a single person (in a lifetime that is :o).

I love A3's RV engine and thus am keen on creating a really interesting and beautiful map the same size, preferably from a real life area based on high resolution data (10m at least). As we read, for that, you need a team of terrain artists.

So: as holidays are coming and V4 might be round the corner, I am calling out for skilled and wanting terrain editing personnel who really are about to stick to the project until finished.

Now, which region shall be recreated? Well, that is my second biggest problem: there is plenty of highres RL data available so that I have spent nights checking areas all over the world without falling in love immediately. That might be as I am not easy to please and also am in a kind of creative dropdown (note that I never have released a map to public yet - this is one of the reasons :mad:).

I simply need inspiration (or good arguments) :o

I bet there are lots of people out there who drive past an amazing scenery every day to work and would love to play on it, yet are scared off by the huge learning curve terrain editing approaches with (thats how I started digging into the topic in December 2009). I wanna give those ideas a platform, an opportunity for these dreams to become true :)

So:

If you are seriously interested in coworking as terrain/vegetation/building artist: PM, Skype, anything else...

If you have serious wishes: post, discuss pro's and con's (preferably with acquisition information to the corresponding highres DEM, if the area is not located in the US)

If there are several good ideas, we shall start a poll :)

P.S.: I know that due to the lack of objects, currently only a mediterranean setting is possible. Furthermore, we cannot recreate every building 1:1 due to engine limitation and playability. Thus, it is even more important that heightmap (and satmap) alone are amazing enough so that you can disregard the type of buildings and vegetation.

P.S.: I know that due to the lack of objects, currently only a mediterranean setting is possible.

I could be wrong, but shouldn't you be able to use the A2 houses as well, now that the models are released?

I could be wrong, but shouldn't you be able to use the A2 houses as well, now that the models are released?

Of course thats possible. There are some custom vegetation and building packs available that were designed for A2. I also used them for tests etc, but the question is: do they really "fit" into the RV4 setting, compared to A3 vegetation?

It may sound crazy but: How about Africa?

If not, then definitely somewhere hot.

But please no sand... it's so boring (imo).

Can't name a realworld equivalent, but what i would like to see is an island that is kind of flat in one area and then with big mountains in the other area. Possibly even with snow at the peak - A climate change within the map.

But please no sand... it's so boring (imo).

Can't name a realworld equivalent, but what i would like to see is an island that is kind of flat in one area and then with big mountains in the other area. Possibly even with snow at the peak - A climate change within the map.

Kind of vulcano-formed islands. They are rather flat with nice vegetation, but they can raise a mountain quite high.

Best example is Mt. Fuji.

@ZeroG:

What kind of gameplay do you expect to have on this geospecific map? It's good to have this question answered before start looking for highres data and thinking about a level of map generalization especially when dealing with geospecific(Real Life Map) landscapes.

I can provide quite a lot of technical support as well as useful hints during map design process, as this is what I've been doing for last 6 years in BI and BISim.

What I mean with technical support... I'm still working on my Blender Terrain Tools and such project would be good stress test for the tool. It supports terrain sculpting, surface mask painting, object placement and so on, I'm also working on a technology to render topographic map for printing...

I think China would be ripe for it... there is so much varied terrain, and a rice patty (even if done as buildings) area, or really anything with terraced agriculture or construction in some spots.

It also allows DRASTIC contrast... for example you could have:

- Mountains

- Plains

- developed farm regions

- ancient world towns/villages

- modern cities with skyscrapers

- massive national infrastructure projects

- massive sea ports

- massive industrial areas

- totally untouched natural areas/forrest

- rain forest

- dessert

honestly I know it's harder, but a hodge podge of natural areas like Sahrani was done with the Azore islands but not 1 for 1 would be the most ideal.. you can look for beautiful/striking regions/areas you want to include and then stitch them together?

Just some inspirational pics I grabbed real quick from google:

http://www.impactlab.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/Wonders-of-China-24.jpg (451 kB)

http://d1vmp8zzttzftq.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Amazing-View-Of-Guilin-China-1600x1063.jpg (482 kB)

Also leaves SOOOO much room for inventive play too.... you could try to work with waterfalls, the terraced rice patties and extreme mountains as building objects i/o actual terrain.... all the amazing unique and drastically varied construction....

I think it would be the most ideal terrain, as it offers so many styles that you have a much higher chance of grabbing peoples hearts if even for one style/portion of the work.

Obviously it's a total dreamers project, but I say go big or go home lol.

Best of luck I'll be following the progress for sure!

@ZeroG:

What kind of gameplay do you expect to have on this geospecific map? It's good to have this question answered before start looking for highres data and thinking about a level of map generalization especially when dealing with geospecific(Real Life Map) landscapes.

I can provide quite a lot of technical support as well as useful hints during map design process, as this is what I've been doing for last 6 years in BI and BISim.

What I mean with technical support... I'm still working on my Blender Terrain Tools and such project would be good stress test for the tool. It supports terrain sculpting, surface mask painting, object placement and so on, I'm also working on a technology to render topographic map for printing...

Good call! Well, combined arms operations should be the core feature, I guess. I am not such a big fan of urban combat, but there also should be room for that of course. Earlier, I was thinking of a DayZ/Wasteland map with features like a forest of burned trees etc. but skipped the idea, as it will only attract a part of the community and not the whole.

Your offer sounds promising - I appreciate it! Maybe we can get together on some messager at times to discuss it..

Hmm.. interesting topic here. Interesting indeed. South China Sea seems like a relative future hotspot. :D

Hmm.. interesting topic here. Interesting indeed. South China Sea seems like a relative future hotspot. :D

I agree completely here, a South China sea themed map would be awesome, i would love to see a terrain based on the Paracel islands but on a grander scale (like a much bigger island with other small islands).

Keeping with the trends of modern day world powers, i believe within the next 20-50 years the U.S. and China will inevitably become military adversaries, and I have been wanting to get together a large modding team to make a huge Sino-American war mod for Arma 3, when enough resources become available. The mod would create a modern day(2014-2020 time frame) PLA faction, and USMC faction, with modern day vehicles weapons, etc. There would be no better place to have these factions fight than on a large scale, South China Sea themed terrain.

Some things i would love to see on a large scale island:

-Mountain region(similar to the Altai Mountains)

-large modern cities like Shanghai, Beijing, etc..

-agricultural area, for rice paddies and such

this, no doubt would be a huge project spanning months(possibly a year or more?) of time, but i think it would be something a lot of Arma 3 players would love and play for a long time

Well, a "Hell in the Pacific" mod is already being worked on..with several islands.

The core problem there is for most places of the earth except the US: only low res height data available, unless you pay quite a high amount of money. Altis and Stratis look that nice because they features trenches, humps, riverbeds etc. Imho, nothing and nobody forms terrains as awesome looking as nature itself....thats the reason for my call.

Well, in my experience, some of the best places to live are oregon/washington area, i lived in Oregon for a large portion of my childhood, and the scenery there is beautiful, so based on a scenery standpoint, that would be awesome, i would think it would be very object dense though (like you said before there are very dense, thick forests)

i would also love to see a Washington D.C. map, to do some Modern Warfare 2 type battles

• Like 1

if you were interested in a terrain that is large and still achievable for a small group of dedicated individuals in a timeframe under 12months I would suggest maybe something like, my 'The Red Centre' concept based on outback Australia I have two working concepts a 10x10 and 40x40, the terrain type means that the resolution of dem data can be lower as it is fairly flat, the distance between built up areas reduces the amount of work in placing stuff......less but higher quality. I can provide a pbo that has the 10x10 concept if you would like to have a look. the plans were to do lots of custom buildings and animals, I have a Kangaroo already, it just won't move :'( anyways I just don't have the time to work on it any more, so it is another option.

Strict of Messina, where I live could be interesting, a little part of Sicily with the Eolie islands, then the Strict and Calabria, in the perfect center of the mediterrean Sea.

The terrain is Urban, a bit flat and then it Goes up to the Mountain from were you can check the entire Strict.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

I know that many flight sim games like EECH or Falcon 4 have developed on the idea of a "cold war gone hot" scenario in the korean peninsula. I think either a terrain based on a part of seoul and its surrounding countryside or a part of the DMZ, maybe next to the western gulf would be interesting. Don't know about high res images, but i am sure if south korea it wouldnt be too much of a problem. Also, the korean landscape would be very interesting as it is very mountainous, forested, and would make a lot of sense for a near future confict zone. Hell, you could even do an area in afghanistan, I know i'm not ready to fully say goodbye to desert landscapes. Takistan was my favorite, and I think a massive 32x32 km deset area with mountains, villages, and the like would be fun as hell. Other places include israel/surrounding area, south america, or you could even do a section of the US rocky mountains/nevada area, and claim the setting as middle east or something. Just some ideas, good luck and i hope to see good things

Hello. I'm Chinese, interested! But do not know how to start, and now has been doing a good job of topographic map.

Hello. I'm Chinese, interested! But do not know how to start, and now has been doing a good job of topographic map.

Everyone interested in contributing: build at least one simple island with config, some clutter, objects and roads for yourself first, so that you get the idea of the basic island creation. When that is done, you are ready to work on the project.

To the suggestors: please ensure that there is at least 10m high-res elevation data available for your desired region. The quality difference between SRTM 90m/ASTER 30m and USGS 10m is dramatic. A large desert area in low resolution will be finished quickly, but is boring without fine bumps, dunes and trenches imho. Although you could do an air-only map - but then again

you wouldnt need a team.

@irishpride: indeed, I found and checked on quite some nice spots in Oregon, actually have begun a map around Tillamook already. You have some special AOI in mind that I could check on?

Edited by ZeroG

@irishpride: indeed, I found and checked on quite some nice spots in Oregon, actually have begun a map around Tillamook already. You have some special AOI in mind that I could check on?

Well i personally lived in the Grants Pass/Medford area which is a little more south, but i think Tillamook is an awesome area to start with, and if we play on a Tillamook terrain, you'll have to put the cheese factory in :p

Just use an area that has LIDAR Data avalaible in Google Earth. You can get very high resolution ground textures + the 3D LIDAR Data and some detailed 3D Buildings

.. I found and checked on quite some nice spots in Oregon, actually have begun a map around Tillamook already. ...
Want me to get you real pictures in the area? I think I can borrow a Go-pro too, putt around on my Mt bike.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:27 ----------

...Tillamook is an awesome area to start with, and if we play on a Tillamook terrain, you'll have to put the cheese factory in :p
And the blimp barns. The ones at the airport. Also a railroad, goes through some very narrow stuff. Also there are a few CIA sat dishes. Large ones tucked in the woods.

It may sound crazy but: How about Africa?

Australia? :P

QKSXWiK.jpg

Wish we got snow here below 1200m...

Can't find any many propper landscape photos but this is the area from around the ADF School of armor and School of Artillery...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16118167@N04/6197483522/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshuahopkinson/5671020135/

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1311/1086785732_184292335b.jpg

Pretty varying in the way of rolling hills for infantry, flat open paddocks/gentle slopes for armor and a mix of thing tree lines to dense forests for cover of both infantry and armor and not so dense like areas of vietnam or china that will murder your frame rate, you can thin out the trees in the bush here and no one would tell the difference.

Up further north if you're looking for a tiny bit more green there's shoalwater bay, where Talisman Sabre is held biannually (Also mentioned in Arma 2 when Kowalski states he had a fun time there ;) )

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Freshwater_Bay_DN-SD-01-04615.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Shoalwater_Bay.JPG

http://www.flickr.com/photos/compacflt/5963386660/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Marines_Talisman_Saber_07.jpg

And dryer, in the same area no less.

http://images.defence.gov.au/20130903ara0000_01.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjwar/1140184708/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/compacflt/5945817062/

Great suggestions so far

Just like to suggest terrain around north Zimbabwe.

after looking around the northern part...near the A12 road that heads north to the town of Centenary (nice airfield there btw) and look south of the large lake to the right of that town...beautiful looking and a nice mix of flatter terrain and hills and mountains,there is a good mix of arid and lusher green parts too!

http://goo.gl/maps/u1kYy

Not sure if a3's current vegitation and houses would totaly fit with that terrain!

Edited by BiGGiBs