Hey, guys.

So I'm releasing this thing now.

It is a mod/script that attempts to find a compromise between the first-person-only Vs. all-of-the-persons debate.

Personally, I prefer to play first-person only, but I do understand the appeal of being able to look at your character in third-person to check out your awesome gear and/or totes hot bod.

So, yeah. Essentially, the script hides enemy units that the player shouldn't be able to see when in third-person.

If you are in first-person, and you can't see a unit, you will not be able to see that unit in third-person, either; he will be invisible.

By default, this is true for all enemy units up to 100 meters. Enemy units up to 400 meters will be set to invisible if they are moving 5 km/h or faster. Units beyond 400 meters are completely ignored.

So, yeah, that's the mod. It's not perfect, but it is a thing that exists.

The following are all of the variables that server admins can adjust:

_outDis = 400; /////////////////// Outer perimeter. Units outside this radius are ignored. (meters)
_inDis = 100; //////////////////// Inner perimeter. Units outside this radius are ignored if they are moving slower than 5 km/h. (meters)
_refresh1P = 0.04; /////////////// How often the script should check to see if the player is still in first person. (seconds)
_refresh3P = 0.5; //////////////// How often the script iterates through the array of units inside the outer perimeter while in third-person. (seconds)
_vMethod = 2; //////////////////// Method for how to treat the player if he's in a vehicle. (integer from 0 to 2, 0 = same as when not in vehicle, 1 = same as vanilla ArmA 3, 2 = no 3P while in vehicle)
_refreshV = 0.1; ///////////////// How often the script should check to see if the player is still in a vehicle. (seconds)
_hideFriendlies = false; ///////// Whether or not the script should hide friendly and civilian units.

And here's a much-longer-than-it-needs-to-be video demonstration:

Download (includes addon and script versions):

- Version 0.7 - 8/12

Also, the first person to name the movie wins everything.

Edit: That was fast. Bad Benson wins everything. Melancholia is the answer I was looking for.

Edited by Outlawled
Changed "m/s" to "km/h"

nice one outlawed!! I remember your first post about this idea. and a short video you did. Its nice to see you kept with it! Thanks alot for this i know the community/and I will use the shit out of it!!

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

"Its good to admire it sometimes." :D Wonderful demonstration! :D

A must have. Im a hardcore realism player but lot of times when things get hot i find myself cheating with the third person view. This mod fix my issue :)

Thank you for sharing.

this mod is Great idea!!

is this mod need only server side? or need cliant side or both of them?

Man thanks so much for this. I love using 3rd for when I'm being suppressed behind a rock because I need to see where impacts etc are landing. I always hated that I could see the enemy cause it felt like cheating. This is very,very cool, even a bit spooky in a good way.

Wow, what a cool idea for a mod. I would use it but playing Arma right now for me is basically a waste of time (comptuer is too slow and code isn't optimized enough). I would hope BIS would just put this in the engine as culling so it doesn't have to be a script but good job... and don't beat yourself so much in the videos man :)

New mod or update v0.7 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@outlw_thefourthwall.png

@ Outlawled;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Hmmm, is this still working? Not working on this end using Dev Branch

yea i want this working again! i want 3rd person in pvp but i dont want cheating

---------- Post added at 01:58 ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 ----------

Ok i tested the new ver and it dose work! bomb!!!

Hey man i really want to see how this works so i paste the link on the search bar and it takes me to youtube. Then the video says

"This video contains content from Nordisk Film, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Alex this is how it works.....

when your in first person the camera is IN the head of your avatar and you see as you would a person.... You cannot see over walls and around corners unless you get on something to look over, or peak your head around the side...

So,

What this mod does is this... if you cannot see a person or AI in First Person, IF you do NOT have, "line of sight". then you will not see this person when using the third person camera.....

so, for example your standing against a wall and want to CHEAT, and look over it, so you use third person camera... Even if there is someone there you will not see them in third person... the mod will make them invisible... because you cannot REALLY see them when your in first person.. its that simple..

it doesnt apply to buildings and such just units, crewed vic's. things that are "alive" in game..