Sign in to follow this  
jgbtl292

the houses and ruins are the mp problem ...

It's physics based not Physx based. Though many games found a way to give AMD users access to the Nvidia Physx stuff like Apex and others.

Care to elaborate?

It's physics based not Physx based. Though many games found a way to give AMD users access to the Nvidia Physx stuff like Apex and others.

Um, no, it's PhysX based. VBS 3 uses PhysX. Why would they incorporate PhysX and not use PhysX to do physics calculations?

Care to elaborate?

Star citizen is using Physx features like APEX for AMD users.

Star citizen is using Physx features like APEX for AMD users.

What apex?

The only AMD GPUs I know that are PhysX capable are the ones in XBone and PS4, excluding the 3rd party drivers, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: To not derail the whole thread, what exactly did you mean by "It's physics based not Physx based."

Edited by CaptainObvious

The game uses Physx as the physics engine, this does not mean it uses Apex to run physics on Nvidia graphics cards improving framerate(Apex is often called Physx mistakenly).

damn! reading this i actually realized why they do this though. i think at least. wasn't there some weird behaviour of map obejcts like when you delete them that you have to restart the game to make them reappear or something? i could swear i read that somewhere.

so if they would totally delete the original house they would have to dynamically create stuff a lot. like when a mission restarts it resets all houses (at leasst it should). that at least would be a reasonable purpose of being able to "heal" houses. can't really think of another one to be honest.

still. if they would change the system to a total swap and allow a "back swap" there should be an improvement.

I remember that, it probably is one of the reasons, but I believe it just requires the island reload to bring the objects back as they were instead of the full game reset. Either way, it appears really inefficient way to do things. If you think about it, in addition to spawning yet another instance, there's also a need to track which ruin belongs to which object in case the damage was reversed at some point, which kinda means they are already dynamically creating and removing a lot of ruins.

I suspect object deleting/recreating wouldn't be necessary if all you were doing is swapping the model for the entity. For certain objects, textures already get swapped depending on the damage level. I see no reason why a saner solution wouldn't be to implement damage tied model swaps too.

What they did in A2/OA was to stop deletecollection from removing trees, Houses in A2/OA can still be removed and they do get replaced every time now without having to reload a another map.

Edited by F2k Sel

I remember that, it probably is one of the reasons, but I believe it just requires the island reload to bring the objects back as they were instead of the full game reset. Either way, it appears really inefficient way to do things. If you think about it, in addition to spawning yet another instance, there's also a need to track which ruin belongs to which object in case the damage was reversed at some point, which kinda means they are already dynamically creating and removing a lot of ruins.

I suspect object deleting/recreating wouldn't be necessary if all you were doing is swapping the model for the entity. For certain objects, textures already get swapped depending on the damage level. I see no reason why a saner solution wouldn't be to implement damage tied model swaps too.

yea i totally agree on all points. was just trying to make sense of the usual BI madness ;D

Im still not convinced the new window breaking method is not having a bad impact too , I plan to do a replacement config and remove the hitpoint and animation sources to test .

Can't developers just use Physx as their physics model now? I mean it is far more efficient and has no impact on performance in any game It has been on. Like Nvidias Shadowplay, it is amazing how I can record and not lose even a single frame due to capture unlike alternative stuff that uses the CPU. In fact why do we need cpus at all? gpus are far more powerful, seem to just handle anything you throw at it.

Does ARMA 3 have physics any ways? The vehicles control like they did in the first Playstation, Helicopters don't even feel remotely realistic, BF3 Helicopters feel like you're in the air, in ARMA 3 it just feels like you have no clip on. The world is so static too and there is no jump or anything... where are the physics? lol.

Edited by scaramoosh

Here are the physics bro : (i do believe this issue was fixed though, didn't happen last time i played)

djCuqzeYu_M

It would be interesting if the AI considers all the Objects nearby for calculations.

Doesn't sound impossible to me that the sunken buildings are included in some calculations.

That would slow things down even further..just an idea that popped up in my head though.

Can't developers just use Physx as their physics model now? I mean it is far more efficient and has no impact on performance in any game It has been on. Like Nvidias Shadowplay, it is amazing how I can record and not lose even a single frame due to capture unlike alternative stuff that uses the CPU. In fact why do we need cpus at all? gpus are far more powerful, seem to just handle anything you throw at it.

Does ARMA 3 have physics any ways? The vehicles control like they did in the first Playstation, Helicopters don't even feel remotely realistic, BF3 Helicopters feel like you're in the air, in ARMA 3 it just feels like you have no clip on. The world is so static too and there is no jump or anything... where are the physics? lol.

They're using a combination of PhysX library and a legacy BI physics simulation library. From what I can tell, all vehicles in vanilla, many small objects and grenades are using PhysX. Soldiers, missiles, rockets and bullets are using the BI physics simulation.

Using PhysX doesn't mean it has no impact on performance, everything has an impact on performance. None of us can say one thing is better than another because we do not have insight on BI library. CPU is used for PhysX in Arma 3 because the simulation must also run on computers that do not have Nvidia cards.

I'll agree that the world feels static, but it's not due to the lack of physics simulation, it is there. Things that you describe that feel like first Playstation have full physics simulation via the PhysX library. It's due to the lack of things we take for granted in games today. Dynamic cloth, "jigglebones", hinges, ropes and whatnot, which are currently sacrificed for the scale of the simulation and the world. I'd really love to see things like moving pouches, sideskirts on tanks having some movement and small things like that. It would indeed give the world a slightly more dynamic feel.

It would be interesting if the AI considers all the Objects nearby for calculations.

Doesn't sound impossible to me that the sunken buildings are included in some calculations.

That would slow things down even further..just an idea that popped up in my head though.

It could be a factor, but even in a controlled environment with no AI present, performance impact of a destroyed town is very noticeable.

Has anybody tried a test to decide whether its a graphical complexity (wreck model higher detail than original house model) issue or a background code issue (something causing extra cpu load) i.e. run town destruction test whilst looking away from the town to see if it still results in a considerable frame rate drop?

Extra graphical complexity would also show up for many as a CPU bottleneck... Calculating scene geometry and handling draw calls seem to be what cap things at the CPU for many already (without AI and scripts even).

Destroying the airport at Stratis 1000 radius

no damage 44 fps

Destroyed 31 fps

ruins removed 35 fps

still about a 25% loss in fps

Not all buildings have a ruin so some still stand.

I'll agree that the world feels static, but it's not due to the lack of physics simulation, it is there. Things that you describe that feel like first Playstation have full physics simulation via the PhysX library. It's due to the lack of things we take for granted in games today. Dynamic cloth, "jigglebones", hinges, ropes and whatnot, which are currently sacrificed for the scale of the simulation and the world. I'd really love to see things like moving pouches, sideskirts on tanks having some movement and small things like that. It would indeed give the world a slightly more dynamic feel.

You hit the nail on the head. These things are or the lack of them to be more precise is so needed. Just a few to make the most beautiful game feel More alive

You hit the nail on the head. These things are or the lack of them to be more precise is so needed. Just a few to make the most beautiful game feel More alive

I still awe at marvel of the man who decided to link suspension to the antenna wires in the OFP jeep in the interior LOD. A very simple and subtle effect made riding in that vehicle feel special. 5:30 onwards in this video. :inlove:

I just don't understand how someone could possibly let this go or think this was a practical way of doing something. Its a like some shoddy workman leaving his sandwiches and rubbish under your floorboards and your left wondering why your house stinks so bad. :mad:

Makes you think what else is lurking about where someones just made shortcuts in work to do something....

Edited by Opticalsnare

I just don't understand how someone could possibly let this go or think this was a practical way of doing something. Its a like some shoddy workman leaving his sandwiches and rubbish under your floorboards and your left wondering why your house stinks so bad. :mad:

Makes you think what else is lurking about where someones just made shortcuts in work to do something....

Yeah it is a bit poor mate. I looked at the ticket and it's on "reviewed" status so I don't know if that means they know about it and are working on it, or if it's going to be left alone.

I still awe at marvel of the man who decided to link suspension to the antenna wires in the OFP jeep in the interior LOD. A very simple and subtle effect made riding in that vehicle feel special. 5:30 onwards in this video.

It was indeed a stroke of genius.

Yeah it is a bit poor mate. I looked at the ticket and it's on "reviewed" status so I don't know if that means they know about it and are working on it, or if it's going to be left alone.

It only means a moderator has looked at it.