Sign in to follow this  
m1lkm8n

Sahrani for A3 by SMD

0LTkzir.jpg

Hello everyone. We are pleased to announce our plans to move Sahrani into Arma 3. We feel that with many people migrating to Arma 3 now is the time to start. This like our Arma 2 version will be independent of CAA1/AIA.

We've got big things planned for the future of Sahrani to make it one of the best and most completed terrains. First we will be moving all assets into A3 and then from there will begin the upgrade process.

Things on the to-do list include:

1) Opening up all buildings

2) Removing the mashed together buildings and buildings embedded halfway into the ground. The mashed together buildings will first be combined then later made enterable. The buildings embedded in the ground will either removed/moved or have the terrain altered to fix those issues.

3) the podestas or retaining walls that most of southern Sahrani is built on will be looked into to see how we can fix ai not using them. I've been thinking of possibly combining them to form one object to allow for a correct path lod to be placed down so ai will be able navigate them. if we need to make 100's of individual models of them to get the ai to function all over the terrain correctly then that's what will be done.

4) bathymetric data will be altered to fix some issues there and rocks and underwater things (such as a shipwreck) shall be added to provide underwater enjoyment.

5) converting the terrain height map data to 4096x4096 x 5 meter cells. this will allow us to have a better flowing terrain and remove most of the terrains sharp edges.

As we make progress the thread will be updated with pictures and videos. Hopefully you will follow us on this journey it's going to be an exciting one!

Click the link in my signature to check out the Arma 2 Version and my YouTube channel!

Edited by M1lkm8n

Guys, thank you for doing this! Im looking forward for this release. I love this island so much, im pretty excited what you guys can do to bring the 'old lady' to arma 3 standard (open buildings for example) :notworthy:

Ahh! Nice. Good luck with this massive project! :)

Good luck dude , this map is a classic and we need it to be in arma 3 !

Sounds great! Especially the part about also upgrading the assets to A3-ish standards, so it's not just a port. That's a lot of work, but should definitely be worth it in the end :) All the luck to you guys!

YES! Can't wait to get this into Arma III. One of the all time best maps for Arma. Look forward to playing on it when it's ready.

Good to see that this is happening. Even better that the map is being upgraded to A3 standards :)

Really great news ! :yay: is anybody have planned to port the units on arma 3 ?

We already have our own units in our a2 version. I'm sure plisken(who made the textures) will do them for a3 as well.

could you do all the maps from the arma series XD haha dont know till you ask

Now this I look forward to!

Will be following closely :)

hell yea Capt. hopefully when i sign up for the 15th i can fight alongside you on an A3 op (going to be either corpsman or an at)

M1lkm8n delivering happiness to your door as always!

Keep in mind folks you can ALREADY play our higher resolution ground texture A2 version with lots and lots of additional enterable buildings, much better functioning AI, and alpha/alpha grid system so artillery computers work properly... You can use it in Arma 3 as well thanks to kju's amazing All in Arma Project.

I will try to throw together a decent teaser trailer of what it's like now using AiA so we can get some great comparisons for when the A3 version is ready to release!

Edited by CiforDayZServer

Very nice. So I get this is a rework of United Sahrani which features Rahmadi but will it have Porto as well? I haven't fought on Sahrani since Arma2 came out, can't wait!

Will the map actually look like this, with Rahmadi included onto the same map; But Porto being a fair bit off the southern edge? (currently not drawn into this shown map): http://arma.atreid.cz/download/Sahrani-map_144dpi.jpg

Afaik, according to BIS' Arma-lore, Sahrani lies somewhere in the Northern-Atlantic, so perhaps Porto could be to the south, a bit nearer to the equator since it's a rather tropical island.. But please within viewing 12km distance from mainland Sahrani to keep travel-distance acceptable.) Thanks for your consideration, and already splendid work! Please do keep it up, and again best of luck! :)

My most complete map in the series imho, have followed your Arma2 version -be great to see it in arma3

Will the map actually look like this' date=' with Rahmadi included onto the same map; But Porto being a fair bit off the southern edge? (currently not drawn into this shown map): [url']http://arma.atreid.cz/download/Sahrani-map_144dpi.jpg[/url]

Afaik, according to BIS' Arma-lore, Sahrani lies somewhere in the Northern-Atlantic, so perhaps Porto could be to the south, a bit nearer to the equator since it's a rather tropical island.. But please within viewing 12km distance from mainland Sahrani to keep travel-distance acceptable.) Thanks for your consideration, and already splendid work! Please do keep it up, and again best of luck! :)

Hehe

Thani lets not get to far ahead of ourselves :)

Currently the version of Sahrani we will be working on is the original terrain. We'll see how that goes then maybe think about U.Sahrani.

Awesome news!

How many members does your group have to work on this?

Our group's ranks have thinned a bit, we had a few people doing some of the modelling, and M1lkm8n doing the terrain, however the modelling was never really done up to the standards we were hoping for. So, M1lkm8n took it upon himself to learn the modelling as well.

There is no way of overstating his contributions, the A2 build we're about to put out will be of tremendously superior quality to the previous release and that is entirely due to M1lkm8n.

Very nice. So I get this is a rework of United Sahrani which features Rahmadi but will it have Porto as well? I haven't fought on Sahrani since Arma2 came out, can't wait!

Originally we were enormously lucky to get the source files from Bohemia, and all that was made available was the original Sahrani files. Further, prior to the recent updated MLOD release and licenses, the majority of the United Sahrani buildings were not open for modding.

In view of above we opted to focus on making the most robust and clean version of Arma 1's Sahrani possible. Now we will shift our focus towards doing the same for A3, while also again upgrading the quality of the map to meet A3 standards. Once this is finished, we will again circle the wagons, and move on to doing United Sahrani versions for both A2 and A3... By then we should have had some time to open up more of the feature buildings from United Sahrani like the TV Station, Sawmill, and Quarry plant.... Our hope is to do some similarly interesting things to bring these buildings to life as we did with the Aircraft Hangers that have been lying dormant for so many years:

Will the map actually look like this' date=' with Rahmadi included onto the same map; But Porto being a fair bit off the southern edge? (currently not drawn into this shown map): [url']http://arma.atreid.cz/download/Sahrani-map_144dpi.jpg[/url]

The map is currently available in A2 here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162282-SMD_Sara_A2-Full-Sahrani-Map-Port-Initial-Release

A newer version with DOZENS of newly opened buildings with amazing features such as:

- Animated Destruction

- All doors and many windows/shutters openable

- Door Breaching

- Animated/SFX enhanced mechanical doors

- Painstakingly configured and tested LODs

- Shattering Glass - Individual panes not just 1 sheet per building

- AI pathing

- Furniture inside buildings!!!! :p

- Multiple versions with different furniture arrangements for variety

Currently there is no Porto included at all, we do not have the files for that, and I do not BELIEVE the required parts were released... although we will both look into the packages to see if they were released, and eventually submit a request directly to BI if they turn out to not be available. Honestly though we have 1-2 years worth of work on our plate right now with just A2/A3 Sahrani and United Sahrani. Our "version" of the map is identical to the picture you posted only we have switched to the Alpha/Alpha grid system so that Artillery Computers work properly.