dr_eyeball

Tactical Battlefield - A PvP Modification

Am I invited?

As Dev I'm interested how this will work.

You are welcome. It's an open event on an unlocked server, but signature checking is on so you need the PlayWithSix repo from our website to get signed (by us) versions of ACRE and JayArma3Lib to connect with.

We're having another go at hosting with ACRE, tomorrow night (Friday) a couple of clans are going to give it a stress test.

what time would it be CET?

For RPs it seems either there is a huge delay between shooting them and them actually being destroyed, or that you need to shoot about 3 magazines into them to destroy them. Haven't had the time to test which one it is - To be safe I always just shoot 3 mags as I never have ammo issues anyway.

To be safe I always just shoot 3 mags as I never have ammo issues anyway.

Yeah, that is another thing - too much ammo. I often end with 20+ mags without even picking them up! Yesterday the squad medic had 29 smoke grenades which he then overused and, I don't know if those facts are related, caused A LOT of desync. Could have been a coincidence with lots of dis\connecting people.

Both problems are on BI field. Capacity issues were tweaked to some extend on the Dev Branch along with fatigue and I'm not sure if they ever reached main branch. Another thing that seems to be on Dev Branch is that you can't use some items that are stored on your backpack which could help a lot.

The new fatigue never reached the main branch. Hopefully they get it done because I find it a pretty important tweak.

Also, there is a bug in TacBF saving your ammo along with your backpack type, but your backpack type already contains ammo by default, so you get your backpack ammo duplicated on every respawn if you saved your loadout with an ammo backpack once (which is why you will get a "no room for X" messages when you respawn).

Well, we only had a dozen or so players most of the evening, but the ACRE test went well.

Only issues to address are occasionally on respawn you don't get a radio (can grab one out the ammo box though), and on death, you can hear the opposing team giggly evilly sometimes.

Server was rock steady throughout, would of had more players as saw loads try to join without the right mods.

This game mode is so damn fun... for the first 15 mins to half hour you play it. But then you're stuck in that game mode on the same terrain for literal hours while waiting on the thousands of tickets to drop. Or half the already dwindling server quits and leaves a handful of players on a 4 Kilometer map to run from cap point to cap point while never seeing each other. Or you get stuck with Call of Duty team mates who can't read, and you're stuck spawning a click back from every single objective.

Everything in this mode needs scaled back; size, players, # of objectives, etc. Perhaps even a smaller map size "fast action" mode with sector spawning or something? Something to give you more to do and less time to walk the miles between objectives getting more and more pissed about the last six dudes who couldn't catch the hint when shooting at the same helmet they're wearing.

Edited by TheCapulet

This game mode is so damn fun... for the first 15 mins to half hour you play it. But then you're stuck in that game mode on the same terrain for literal hours while waiting on the thousands of tickets to drop. Or half the already dwindling server quits and leaves a handful of players on a 4 Kilometer map to run from cap point to cap point while never seeing each other. Or you get stuck with Call of Duty team mates who can't read, and you're stuck spawning a click back from every single objective.

Everything in this mode needs scaled back; size, players, # of objectives, etc. Perhaps even a smaller map size "fast action" mode with sector spawning or something? Something to give you more to do and less time to walk the miles between objectives getting more and more pissed about the last six dudes who couldn't catch the hint when shooting at the same helmet they're wearing.

It's definitely a bummer when a full server empties out suddenly, leaving you stuck on a mission with a large AO, but that's why there are missions with smaller AOs available, for which you can initiate a vote (not that they are always successful due to the aforementioned failure to read, but it's something). I don't think limiting TacBF to small missions is the solution, as bigger missions with a full server can offer some outstanding gameplay. Similar to PR, we do need those "skirmish" missions for quick play and seeding, but the real meat is in A&S and S&D.

Plenty of quirks like this to be ironed out, but even in its current state TacBF offers some of the best gaming out there, IMO.

BTW, I'm pretty sure you fragged the crap out of me yesterday. Nice one!

Just to make it clear. The last map you played was Shrine and the mission maker made a error when he set the parameters for tickets in that mission it shouldn't of had 1200 tickets. But still we are looking at ways or game modes that are shorter. Just wanted to let you know that that mission was just broken.

It is still beta and to observe some thing we need number of players. In about the month will be update according to observation we are making right now.

Also I will like we talk about technical issue out of BIS forum. For complainant and observation or suggestion pleas join on Tactical Battlefield forum and let this forum just as an information about TacBF.

Thanks for understanding.

Just to make it clear. The last map you played was Shrine and the mission maker made a error when he set the parameters for tickets in that mission it shouldn't of had 1200 tickets. But still we are looking at ways or game modes that are shorter. Just wanted to let you know that that mission was just broken.

Btw Ch3v, I do want to apologize for that last round. Had been TK'd several times already and lashed out when it happened last. And understood on the bug.

But to reply to the idea and specifically Harzach, I agree completely that full servers with large missions can offer some of the best gameplay in Arma. I never stuck around PR to see skirmish mode though. But while big missions are great, I still think smaller missions, smaller server sizes have a place. Not everyone wants to play a hectic logistics driven 64 player monster of a mission, but TacBF still has a ton more to offer Arma PVP players past just those massive missions, I hope. And Arma 3 player #s need to be considered too. While massive 80 player missions can offer a metric shit ton of fun some of the time, it will offer zero (or minus) fun the rest of the time. Even the smallest missions are guilty, like Pano Valley or Agia Marina. While it's fun with 24 guys on, if you only have a struggling server with 6-8 guys on, it's almost guaranteed that they'll see no action. If instead we're on an infantry map with 3 semi-close objectives and controlled sector respawn, those 8 dudes now have a much greater chance at staying 8 dudes instead of dropping to 2 dudes within minutes.

All this isn't to say that big missions need to go or anything stupid like that. They have their place just the same. But I think having missions designed for smaller #'s with faster action would really benefit the mod and keep more people playing for longer.

Hi, the mod looks fantastic, I have a question I could use only for COOP, you could revive and separates the medical system for use in co-op?

this is very close to being the new ACE XD

WWW.CIATIERONE.ES

All this isn't to say that big missions need to go or anything stupid like that. They have their place just the same. But I think having missions designed for smaller #'s with faster action would really benefit the mod and keep more people playing for longer.

I think we're in agreement.

Hi, the mod looks fantastic, I have a question I could use only for COOP, you could revive and separates the medical system for use in co-op?

It's a PvP mod, so I'm not sure how you would play co-op as there are no AI.

Just seeing this now.

Yep my bad guys, should be fixed in the latest mission pack. :)

Thought we had while playing one of the night maps with ACRE - it would have been a lot more awesome if there was a parameter to disable all NV goggles and scopes. The night time lighting of A3 is incredible, and a firefight would be so pretty!

But I think having missions designed for smaller #'s with faster action would really benefit the mod and keep more people playing for longer.

I'll try make one/two missions this weekend to help seed the server populations and provide 'faster' infantry based action.

Personally I prefer missions with medium to large AOs (area of operations). Due to the size of the beta testing team in the months prior to release we focused primarily on small to medium AOs.

In the end it's good to have a spectrum of missions, and also have a spectrum of gamemodes, which is what were working towards.

...it would have been a lot more awesome if there was a parameter to disable all NV goggles and scopes...

It's been discussed as a future feature but low priority at the moment.

Currently we need to ensure the experience is consistent and stable across the mod, and then allow missions to allow/restrict kit assignments etc.

Edited by mad rabbit

Yes time and weather are forced by the missions and cannot be overridden by the parameters. You can change the fog level in the parameters however. This is something we'll discuss for the future but it was decided that the mission maker designs a mission for certain time of day and weather and this should not be changed.

Yes time and weather are forced by the missions and cannot be overridden by the parameters. You can change the fog level in the parameters however. This is something we'll discuss for the future but it was decided that the mission maker designs a mission for certain time of day and weather and this should not be changed.

I play on a server that has a massive amount of missions capable of changing time, date, and weather via the parameters before game startup.

Have you looked more in depth if this is possible, are you aware it's been done?

We designed it that way. It's not that we don't know how to make the params work we wanted to leave it up to the mission makers to determine the parameters and not the admin.

Hi Guys, loving the mod and gameplay. Is there any chance this mod could be converted to suit singleplayer as you have done wonders with extras like suppression, first aid and the squad hud etc. Just wondered.........

Maybe release modules from you main mod as stand alone mods people can use elsewhere? Like the stuff cub1 is interested in.

Suppression effects on player seem to work in singleplayer and the squad hud, however the voices of your squad have been muted (obviously for multiplayer) so no target call outs. I know singleplayer isn't the purpose of this game mode but was just curious.