Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

I'm free!

today was my last day at work! woohoo! more time for OFP...until i return to school.....damn.....

oh well..

Do your self a favor and enjoy some physical (outside) activity for that short time. You will probably spend lots of time on OFP during school too. Winter is coming... (probably where you live)

Just suggestion.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Aug. 31 2002,05:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm free!<span id='postcolor'>

I thought i specifically ordered them to.... errrr... nothing wink.giftounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Aug. 31 2002,05:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Winter is coming...<span id='postcolor'>

in LA, winter consists of:

above 40 degrees farenheit temperature,

no snow, but occasional rain biggrin.gif

snow is always fun. especialy when it gets so bad to the point ware work/school gets called off for the day. winter in north east Ohio its common to get snow up to the waist...at least in my back yard. always fun watching the cats that are light enough to walk on top of the ice covered snow w/out sinking while i must brave the deep to feed my dog in the back outdoor pen.

That's the beauty of living in Southern California -- if Ralph heads West for an hour, he can surf the waves. If he heads East for an hour, he can ski or snowboard.

You can literally do both the same day without too much hassle (unless it is a holiday weekend and the roads into the mountains are packed).

(Damn, I can't even spell "ski" right... mad.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Aug. 31 2002,06:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can literally do both the same day without too much hassle (unless it is a holiday weekend and the roads into the mountains are packed).<span id='postcolor'>

yup! i left my office today at 3:30 pm, and it took me 2 hrs to get home. I-10 became unusually growded(from Centinela to interchange of 60 and I-10), and then we had some brush fires around Rosemead(near 605), which pretty much blocked everything from 710...

but yeah, the beauty is that it's just some driving away. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cam0flage @ Aug. 31 2002,10:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it expensive to live in southern cali?

// cam0flage<span id='postcolor'>

depends where in southern california, but if you are talking about 'traditional LA', yes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">depends where in southern california, but if you are talking about 'traditional LA', yes.<span id='postcolor'>

How about the usual level of income? High rents & taxes, high income? I mean, like being paid pretty good for crappy jobs too. My friend is thinking of moving to southern cali to study something-i-don't-know.

// cam0flage

Whats the betting this will be closed before it gets to page 3?

Come on, its not really going anywhere........

Want to talkl about California? Start a dedicated thread!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cam0flage @ Aug. 31 2002,11:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about the usual level of income? High rents & taxes, high income? I mean, like being paid pretty good for crappy jobs too. My friend is thinking of moving to southern cali to study something-i-don't-know.

// cam0flage<span id='postcolor'>

sorry for late reply, but here it goes.

for a single person to live in LA, in decent community, I'd say you;d need to earn about 35K. of course you can leave with 30k or so, but to make some decent leaving i'd suggest 35k. job wise, there are very simple jobs that pays you low amount of pay, to highly paid jobs, that mostly requires some professional degree.

apartment/flat rates are so high. a single will cost you 800 or above, one bedroom will be 1100 or above.

price here is somewhat high, and influx of ppl will keep it that way for awhile. currently, real estate market in california, especially southern california seems to be never stopping. so living cost is going up.

lol biggrin.gif

I'm moving today, and will be sharing a 3-room apartment with one other guy. My rent: 1400 danish kroner.

~115Å

~180$

~185€

And that's smack dab in the middle of Copenhagen smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ Aug. 31 2002,18:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">with one other guy<span id='postcolor'>

Why don't you just say it: with your lover biggrin.gif

No, but seriously, that is very cheap. I pay about 300 €/month for my 25 m^2 apartment. The good thing is that it is pretty central (10 minutes by subway or bus) while still having a lot of nice nature around.

Otherwise in Stockholm the standard form of living is in co-operative flats where you have to first pay a one-time amount of between 10 000 - 100 000€ and then have a rent between 300€ - 2000 €/month, depending on the location. There are of course much more expensive apartments too..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 31 2002,12:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Otherwise in Stockholm the standard form of living is in co-operative flats where you have to first pay a one-time amount of between 10 000 - 100 000? and then have a rent between 300? - 2000 ?/month, depending on the location. There are of course much more expensive apartments too..<span id='postcolor'>

Scary, I have some plans for moving to Sweden (not yet), since I have a pretty large family there and Comp Science people are still respected there, I guess I'll have to live with the family at first... 100 000 Euros is not pocket change.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 31 2002,18:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Otherwise in Stockholm the standard form of living is in co-operative flats where you have to first pay a one-time amount of between 10 000 - 100 000€ and then have a rent between 300€ - 2000 €/month, depending on the location. There are of course much more expensive apartments too..<span id='postcolor'>

sounds pretty much like getting homeloans from banks in america.

in US, you typically make downpayment of 20% of house's value, then rest will be borrowed from the bank and be paid in 15,20, or 30 yr monthly payment.(usually like 1000bucks-not sure though)

the difference would be that in US after making all the payments after 30 years, you own the house. not to mention all the tax credits while paying your loans.

As punishment for making fun of me at the expense of gay people,

here's a secret spy-cam photo of Denoir at the latest Moderator Conference:

donut.jpg

( smile.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ Aug. 31 2002,19:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As punishment for making fun of me at the expense of gay people,

here's a secret spy-cam photo of Denoir at the latest<span id='postcolor'>

No, that would be Gimbal. I wore a pink skirt wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Aug. 31 2002,19:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 31 2002,18:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Otherwise in Stockholm the standard form of living is in co-operative flats where you have to first pay a one-time amount of between 10 000 - 100 000€ and then have a rent between 300€ - 2000 €/month, depending on the location. There are of course much more expensive apartments too..<span id='postcolor'>

sounds pretty much like getting homeloans from banks in america.

in US, you typically make downpayment of 20% of house's value, then rest will be borrowed from the bank and be paid in 15,20, or 30 yr monthly payment.(usually like 1000bucks-not sure though)

the difference would be that in US after making all the payments after 30 years, you own the house. not to mention all the tax credits while paying your loans.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, to buy an apartment is also possible. Basically the same way as you describe it. Most common (downtown) is however that the people living in a building own it together. If you want to rent an apartment, you have to buy your share. If you want to move out, you sell your share. The rent you pay goes to repairs etc.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 31 2002,19:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ Aug. 31 2002,19:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As punishment for making fun of me at the expense of gay people,

here's a secret spy-cam photo of Denoir at the latest<span id='postcolor'>

No, that would be Gimbal. I wore a pink skirt wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

This you?

valentine1.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Aug. 31 2002,23:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">nah..it's more of red color<span id='postcolor'>

drag.jpg

back to the subject California living and being free- they aren't the same.

I live in Long Beach, which is still in LA county but barely. LB has slightly cooler weather, less crime, equally atrocious school, (i go to the same one Snoop Dogg went to), but is cheaper and in my opinion much nicer. Don't know if those in Europe know this, but on Novermber 5 there will be a vote on whether or not the San Fernando valley will secede. If they do, LA proper will be much smaller, with an average temperature about a 100 degrees lower. The valley is hell during summer.

Anywho, I don't have to get a job for another year. And by then all the cushy jobs at city-run camps will be gone, LB is 46 million in debt.