Sign in to follow this  
pipyn1970

Forcing AI Panthers to fire

Hi Guys, ive searched the forum for this but i cant find what im looking for. Im having trouble with this in my MP missions & would like some help please.

Bigger picture:

Blufor infantry are out on patrol with AI controlled Panthers in support. Infantry get shot at from a location & need big rounds on target.

Goal:

I would like to use the Panthers in a stand off position as an FSG.

Questions:

I want them to follow their WP's to their over watch pos & stay there no matter what until their next WP is switched via a trigger. While at their over watch, i would like to have a radio trigger to call them to engage a predefined area until i recall them to stop firing. Is this possible & if so how please?

Is it possible to have 2 panthers (not grouped as i always have trouble with grouped vehicles moving) hitting 2 areas close together but on the same radio trigger?

Scene:

Infantry on patrol, Panthers move to over watch pos & stay there without shooting anything. Infantry get hit. A player calls on the radio for the panthers to hit an area, they do so. Infantry assault the area but at danger close the player calls the panthers again to stop shooting. Area clear & the infantry move on to next area. The Panthers start their next WP once the infantry move into a switch trigger. The panthers move to their next over watch pos & the whole process starts again.

Many many thanks for any help given guys

Thanks sandy but its telling me what I need to know. Thanks anyway

Which part of the implementation are you having trouble with?

If you're totally new to scripting and the editor you should just start off with simpler goals, learning how to synchronize waypoints, use triggers and AI related scripting commands. Bohemia's wiki has documentations for most of the basic things, and a world of awesome tutorials is just a google search away. A lot of stuff even back from OFP days work on Arma 3.

Hi Sandy

i dont have any problems with WP's. My original post was to give people a better picture of what im trying to do so they could be able to help me better.

Ive been building missions for my clan since the Alpha came out. Now we've decided to be an armoured infantry unit, i want to try to build missions around that. But my clan is very small at the moment, so i have to rely on the AI for all the background stuff like being an FSG placed about 800m away!

i think what i need help with is setting up a panther to hit an area (predefined in the editor) via a radio trigger & then to stop it firing at the area with a radio trigger. If im able to do it then i would like 2 panthers (not grouped) hitting 2 areas close together but i want them on the same trigger. (i think i need to just sync each radio trigger together & have 2 triggers: 1 for start & 1 for stop).

but its the physical act of getting them to fire & stop i need help with. I think whats confusing me is i was talking to someone about this & they said i have to set up all sort of game logics or something.

I understand what you're saying about starting small. Problem is when i make missions i want to challenge myself in the editor with the ideas ive got. But i cant do the ideas without first finding out how to do things like this 1st. My imagination has gone a bit limp at the mo i feel with the skills ive already got & so i need to add more dynamics to my missions & each mission i like to add something new.

Anyway thanks once again Sandy

All the best

There probably isn't an easy way to get AI-controlled IFVs to provide some sort of proper and realistic "suppressive fire". The simplest way is leave it for the AI to find and pick targets (the reveal command can help the AI in detecting enemies) and engage them according to their (bad) abilities. Some sort of complex script could be made with doTarget and commandFire, but I'm not sure if the AI will fire at targets it knows are there but cannot directly see (that or the AI could turn out to be too effective). You'd have to experiment. Unfortunately the game doesn't have the sort of invisible dummy targets like ACE does in A2, afaik.

Getting the IFVs to stop firing should be easy enough by having the trigger set their combat mode to never fire ("blue") and/or behaviour to "careless".

Edited by SandyBandy