Maio

Content Licensing - Questions and Answers

Hopefully this is the right place to ask, is using the voice acting from the ARMA II campaign acceptable in ARMA III missions, I'm porting Manhattan at the moment and I wanted to be sure that it would be OK to use the voice acting before spending time on it. The impression I'm getting from the post below is it probably isn't (since I assume the campaign isn't in the mentioned data packs) however I figured it would be worth asking.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148171-Forward-porting-of-Arma-content

I'm not sure that I understand one point so I wanted to ask for clarification:

There is a model in the A2 content for which I would like to obtain the MLOD's. Specifically, the 76N6 radar.

How would I go about requesting this permission?

JUSTIFICATION: I wish to add camo textures and ladders natively to the model. My current "attachTo" solution works but it cannot easily accommodate the new camo textures.

(since I assume the campaign isn't in the mentioned data packs)

Your assumption doesn't hold ;) The voice files can be found in the A2 data pack ("ALDP_A2_PBOs_APL-SA_part3") and are, as the archive name suggests, licensed as APL-SA.

That means that if you do use them in a mission you have to make your mission available for others to edit and/or re-distribute. (The "SA" stands for "share-alike")

---------- Post added at 07:38 ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 ----------

There is a model in the A2 content for which I would like to obtain the MLOD's. Specifically, the 76N6 radar.

Hey! The 76N6 radar is part of the Arma2 (unbinarised) sample files. It is available under APL-SA in the "A2SM_Data_APL-SA" pack, under Map_Objects\CA\misc2\Samsite

Since it's APL-SA (Share-alike) that means (roughly) that you have to make your modifications available for others to freely edit/use/re-distribute if you release them.

Your assumption doesn't hold ;) The voice files can be found in the A2 data pack ("ALDP_A2_PBOs_APL-SA_part3") and are, as the archive name suggests, licensed as APL-SA.

That means that if you do use them in a mission you have to make your mission available for others to edit and/or re-distribute. (The "SA" stands for "share-alike")

Excellent, must have downloaded the wrong things when I was looking. Thanks for the help!

Hey! The 76N6 radar is part of the Arma2 (unbinarised) sample files. It is available under APL-SA in the "A2SM_Data_APL-SA" pack, under Map_Objects\CA\misc2\Samsite

Since it's APL-SA (Share-alike) that means (roughly) that you have to make your modifications available for others to freely edit/use/re-distribute if you release them.

I did not know this - thanks for pointing that out!

How would I go about requesting this permission?

JUSTIFICATION: I wish to add camo textures and ladders natively to the model. My current "attachTo" solution works but it cannot easily accommodate the new camo textures.

Are you adding ladders or just configuring the visible ones? Check your PMs and I believe that I may have exactly what you're looking for. ;) Let me add that you'll be looking in a different folder for the "warfare" MLODs with the camo nets and whatnot, I just included the radar by itself.

Is it allowed to edit binarized or anyother content of APL licensed mods? If I found a mod that is licensed as APL, have some errors or not working and I cannot contact developer (via PM, e-mail or any other method). I can fix it with HEX-editor. Is it allowed to do that and re-release it?

Of course if developer don't give permission, I will not do that but what to do in the situation above?

Edited by Kukus

Is it allowed to edit binarized or anyother content of APL licensed mods? If I found a mod that is licensed as APL, have some errors or not working and I cannot contact developer (via PM, e-mail or any other method). I can fix it with HEX-editor. Is it allowed to do that and re-release it?

Of course if developer don't give permission, I will not do that but what to do in the situation above?

you have contacted me. the answer was no i will not give permission.

I am asking not about your mod, Burnes15th. I have already answered you abou that. I am interested in situation described above. I found several mods that can fix and make playable again. That is why I am asking. I don't want to break any rights.

I'm sorry but why don't you make your own port with your own changes?

With the time and effort you spent discussing the matter here you would've probably been halfway through already. :P

Because I don't have enough skills for that (scripting, modelling, etc.). But I have enough skills to fix some small annoying errors that ruins some aspects of gameplay.

If I see a great mod, why not to fix it if I can?

No. You can not. You must always obtain the content creators permission.

M1lkm8n, but APL says:

"With this licence you are free to adapt (i.e. modify, rework or update) and share (i.e. copy, distribute or transmit) the material"

Are sure about that? May you please specify paragraph about that? My English is not good, will take some time to translate the whole License.

As I understand, developer should use custom license to prevent content modification, but APL gives such rights.

Edited by Kukus

You should still contact the creator. It's the polite thing to do.

Of course it is unpolite to do that without permission. But in legal terms I don't have to do that. Am I right?

It still contains modifications done by the modder, so no you can't just take it and do whatever you want with it.

Thank you for clarification, Chairborne.

It still contains modifications done by the modder, so no you can't just take it and do whatever you want with it.

I think this is important enough to repeat:

A mod that uses BI's "APL" licensed data does not automatically become APL licensed itself. This is exactly what Chairborne is referring to and it's why you cannot modify most 'port' mods.

If a mod is actually licensed as "APL" itself this will usually be made very obvious (usually unbinarised sources will be made available, too). Those mods you *can* modify and re-release. Very few mods are currently licensed this way and, as said above, virtually no ports are.

IMO, you license the whole mod, if you don't want others to modify your mod, license it with appropriate license. If mod is stated as APL, i think that anyone can modify it.

Edited by Kukus