Maio

Content Licensing - Questions and Answers

Does the released content from ArmA 1 include Queen's Gambit files?

The Arma 1 Sample Data package does not contain them, as it is just re-release of the old package with new licenses. However, the Arma Licensed Data Pack does contain the Queen's Gambit PBOs.

Is there something specific you look for?

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

Dumb question but I made some missions for ArmA 3 based on Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis using voice-overs from that game. I would assume the license I need to use is APL. How do I go about implementing them into the missions in a way that is recognized officially?

If you use data from Voice.pbo in your missions, please use the APL-SA, as this PBO has been released under this license (check the diagram for license selection: http://www.bistudio.com/images/licence_chart.jpg). I recommend to state (e.g. in readme) that your mission is released under APL-SA (ShareAlike, NonCommercial, ArmaOnly requirements) and credit the original voiceover data (Attribution requirement).

If you use the data from PBOs released under APL, you have more options (see the diagram), but in any case, you need to fulfill the license's requirements: Attribution, NonCommercial, ArmaOnly.

The Arma 1 Sample Data package does not contain them, as it is just re-release of the old package with new licenses. However, the Arma Licensed Data Pack does contain the Queen's Gambit PBOs.

Is there something specific you look for?

Indeed, I was wondering if the unbinarized data of the DC3 from Queen's Gambit had been released. Seriously missed the old gal in Takistan. The An-2 was never a good mistress. ;)

Indeed, I was wondering if the unbinarized data of the DC3 from Queen's Gambit had been released. Seriously missed the old gal in Takistan. The An-2 was never a good mistress. ;)

I don't think Queen's Gambit MLODs have been released. I don't see them listed here:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_1_Sample_Models

Any possibility that this might change?

Hello,

i recently have been working on a new lighting addon (sub addon for AiA to be exact) for arma3, in that process i made some tests with retexturing of the skybox, at one point i tryed the sky_*.ppa files from TkoH for personal testing purposes.

Eventually i would like to use these textures for my Arma3 addon to improve the lighting especially of ported maps. These textures in particular turned out to be quite fit and i would love to use them for the addon.

Is there any chance i can get permission for that?

C64FD51C1EA2B2658D66005C57B020E3809FA11B

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

I don't think Queen's Gambit MLODs have been released. I don't see them listed here:
From checking the ALDP it turns out that the binarized data can be found the dbe1 and hotfix_dbe1 PBOs, but their contents do not have unbinarized counterparts in the public Arma 1 Sample Models pack. :(

The former PBO includes the RG-6 grenade launcher (think an early/mid-90s Russian "revolver" grenade launcher like the M32 MGL) under its GRAU designation of 6G30, technical versions of the Datsun and Hilux with PKs or DshKms, the DC-3, and their map icons and description entry images. The hotfix_dbe1 PBO includes a replacement DC-3 config that on top of calling an included newer P3D also tripled the supplyRadius, quadrupled the wheelSteeringSensitivity, and added cabinOpening ("false") and ejectSpeed[] entries (a "0, 0, 0" array).

@Dirtylarry

Sorry but this thread is meant for questions regarding BI content modding and I had to delete the off-topic posts.

BI fixes bugs on a daily basis and releases updates via the devbranch. There is a log of the changes here. You might also want to keep an eye on the Feedback tracker to see if a specific bug that is bothering you is being worked on. Also remember that some "bugs" can actually be script errors from the mission you are playing. If you are sure it's a game related bug, submit it via the feedback tracker and/or the forums troubleshooting section, but please make sure that no one else has reported a similar problem.

P.S. You can post in the off topic section to increase your post count.

Thanks.

Edited by Maio

Can I use Russian Radio Protocol from Arma2 for my Arma3 Russians addon? The audio files, I mean.

Of course you can. The radio protocols from Arma 2 were released as part of the ALDP_A2_PBOs_part1_APL-SA package (dubbing.pbo). If you release the Russian protocol based on these data, just please don't forget to do so under APL-SA. :) Good luck!

Of course you can. The radio protocols from Arma 2 were released as part of the ALDP_A2_PBOs_part1_APL-SA package (dubbing.pbo). If you release the Russian protocol based on these data, just please don't forget to do so under APL-SA. :) Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I just wanted to make sure.

And thank you for the Great Game! :-))

no answer to my request? :X

You've got PM. :)

@Sudden: You're welcome, looking forward to hear some classy Russian radio chatter in A3!

Hey I will try my luck here,

Since we cannot use any copyrighted music in the contest I was wondering if it is ok, to use copyrighted unit names and logos, like Navy SEALs, Delta Force, SAS?

Thanks,

Hi Lato, I am not sure if military unit names are copyrighted, but I suppose you can use them as general terms (I cannot imagine all the people writing about worl militaries having to obtain permission to use the names in their books)? Logos might be trickier, as many organizations have regulations for use fo their symbols. If you have more information about this, please do share them here or send me a PM, I would definitely like to learn more!

You may also consider whether a particular unit patch or name is indispensable for making a good modification. :)

On a side note, you can use copyrighted material (e.g. music), but only in case you don't violate the material owner's rights (e.g. by obtaining a permission from them).

Thank You, I was wondering about using SEAL name and logos, but I think I can handle this without adding them and stay with just a code name or sth :)

what is the legality of DayZ Origins? It seems that they have copyrighted ArmA 2 code as well as terrain. The DayZ Origins server operators have been issuing DMCA takedown notices on communities like opendayz. Here is a pastebin of the letter.

http://pastebin.com/umU8840G

what is the legality of DayZ Origins? It seems that they have copyrighted ArmA 2 code as well as terrain. The DayZ Origins server operators have been issuing DMCA takedown notices on communities like opendayz. Here is a pastebin of the letter.

http://pastebin.com/umU8840G

Martin made island himself and noone can demand from Martin to give his resources for others to free edit is , just like noone can demand from me for example releasing my MLODs , addon content made by addonmaker belongs to addonmaker (original creator) and only he can decide to give it to others or not ,

if Martin do not want some mods to edit and use his island - it is his property and his individual case,

mods who edited Martin addon broke the rules - not Martin ,

one cannot host edited other people mods the way someone want and collect donations on not his own mod,

if addonmaker collect donations - his case, if other person collect donations on NOT his addon - crime, now do you understand ?

i can put my addons and put "donate" button on my addon because it was made by me, you cannot do it with my addons because you not made them, if you do it, than DMCA or legal action such as lawsuit may happen (because it is piracy),

the same with Dayz modding

Martin made Taviana - it is his property and only he can decide how to use it and in which mod and on which conditions, addon belong to addonmaker - this thing is hardest to understand by majority of Dayz community, addon is not opensource to be reedited, addon is freeware like "home use" programs, on "home use" edition you cannot open company,

Origins content was made by people who cooperated with Origins mod just like CWR2 content was made by CWR2 team, just like RACS mod content, like I44 content, like RHS content, like French Army mod content, like BW mod content, like dozens other mod content,

hateflood from dayzscene against mod which indeed has it's own content (not downloaded other people addons from Armaholic without asking authors like some mods did in past) is not needed here, we do addons here, not download addons to tell they are "our mod",

if you want Origins mod content - do yourself weapons models, vehicles models, houses models, helicopter models, do yourself island (map) , noone is stopping you, oxygen is available, visitor is available, you can do your own content, i know that many people in dayz community hate orginal authors , cause they cannot do simple model, simple terrain, but they want to have "their mod" and put servers on it and hire servers or enable "donations" ,

this kills addonmaking which was always opposite to it since 2001 since Operation Flashpoint, anyone can do addons if he has ability , if he is skilled, if he has free time and good will, there is no license to do models , there is no license to do map,

when you will spent 6 years on making 500 models and 6 years on making large map, you will understand, since many years we all here in this forum respect that author keeps his author's rights which are not disputable unlike on some dayz forums which claim that "once you released addon it belongs to everyone and it is opensource", on this forum we respect authors and not call them dirty words, which happens on dayz forums, i even read on one topic that copyrights of addonmaker are equal to copyrights of user/player,

there is link to BIS tools in which you can do addons (models, terrain) https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BI_Tools_2.5

there is link to free gimp on which you can do textures legally: http://www.gimp.org/

if someone is server operator and want to make servers and get players to pay for that servers - than he should not use other persons content, if you want to host server or hire server - do your own addons or ask addonmaker BEFORE use whether he agree or not agree (lack of answer = answer no) ,

Martin spent countless thousands of hours making Taviana since scratch since 2006 when he made first objects like buildings, why don't you spend 8 years like Martin ? Taviana contain hundreds of custom objects if not thousand custom objects (buildings, road elements, scenery elements) , it is enormous effort of work of Martin and all his free time

Edited by vilas

martin is not part of GamersPlatoon that was charging people to play on their server then sending these fake DMCA notices to other DayZ Origins servers.

dayz community at it's best, one short sentence and 3 lies;

- Martin is owner of Taviana, Martin with Alex is core Origins team and they can agreed with GamersPlatoon,

- GamersPlatoon doesn't charge for playing, what a bullshit, anyone who downloaded Origins mod can play it for free without paying, download yourself their mod and join any server and proove that you cannot join without paying, although i do not play any zombie stuff, i know that many people play Origins and never payed single cent for it, when Martin was asking me to play with him , i downloaded Origins mod, i installed it and i joined game for 5 minutes (and ended cause i do no like neither 'vampires' nor 'zombies') and i didn't had any "pay to play" messages on startup, i downloaded regular version of their mod from their website, i know few persons from my town who play it and NEVER payed single PLN, saying that they charge players is LIE !!

- "other" servers mean pirated with stolen code and stolen content, because server files were not released by Alex,

what so much bothers you ? cause you not earned money on other people hard work ? goddamn dayz community,

learn to make models, learn to make map, and host for money your OWN work, not OTHERS' people hard work, this dayz stopped several addonmakers from making mods and even BIS made Dayz Standalone not modable (and i hope it will never be modable, so we do not need to spend time on looking who stole our addons and host them for money) because of people who "wanna host server" and use free of charge addons to earn money on hosting servers,

i seen on dayz forums questionizing Martin as creator of Taviana, even my Project 85 was questionized whether i can decide about P85 addons cause P85 doesn't belong to me but was made by SV5000 according to few posters on dayz forums (which suprise to read that my addon is not made by me, saying anywhere that i do not have any rights to P85 would cause laugh anywhere except dayz forums),

Origins mod made their content, they can do with this content whatever they want and deal with anyone they want , there is no obligation that moder must work with anyone, because of people like you who "demand" to give something to dayz (mostly to earn money on our FREE work) stopped me from modding for half year,

it is Martin's and Alex intellectual property and it is not arguable nor arbitrary, they can do with their property whatever they want and deal with anyone they want,

all what Martin and Alex made belongs to Martin and Alex and only they can decide where they keep server files, if others had server files - they were either hacked, stolen, pirated - no less , no more,

i know that keeping servers is profitable, i know, it is money, and thats why so many dayz community members hate those who not share their work with them to set server and charge players themselves,

DO MOD YOURSELF and than host it the way you want

Edited by vilas

Hi all.

So I've heard that some people got trouble for retexturing weapons in the past. Is this true ? and if yes, is there a restriction on retexturing original ARMA 3 content regarding weapons ? I'm asking because I myself am working on an unit addon and wanted to release it with retexturing some of the available weapons from base ( vanilla ) content. Thought that crediting BIS etc would be enough like in the past. Do I now need special licensing for that and are there also restrictions on some unit textures now ? I've tried to find information on such specific cases reading through the new licensing rules etc but couldn't encounter any details or rather want to be sure I actualy did fully understand what I read. I don't want to release anything I later get trouble with. So I'd really appreciate if someone could help me with this.

Edited by Comm_Yuri

Okay guys, i have a question. If i use APL stuff like vehicles, and port it into ArmA 3 - i have to release source of my mod also? I saw many mods, no1 release source, so if i do the same - Its okay with license?

Okay guys, i have a question. If i use APL stuff like vehicles, and port it into ArmA 3 - i have to release source of my mod also? I saw many mods, no1 release source, so if i do the same - Its okay with license?

Does this mean you're just about ready for first release version of the samples mod, ALL PRAISE ALDURIC OUR MIGHTY OVERLORD! My bandwidth is at your disposal my overlord. :P

@Alduric you only have to release the source when you use the APL-SA content. Meaning that your A2MP is breaking the license right now, because you're using the terrain files + the buildings, etc. (The terrains, buildings, stuff like that are all under APL-SA)

What is the difference between the APL licenses and a Freeware License? I came across a mod that uses a Freeware license and nothing else. Where does that fall? It states that permission must be granted by the license holders prior to any use of said mod in any mission or mod.

What is the difference between the APL licenses and a Freeware License? I came across a mod that uses a Freeware license and nothing else. Where does that fall? It states that permission must be granted by the license holders prior to any use of said mod in any mission or mod.

same question