Sign in to follow this  
willywonka

make ARMA not war contest

After all, the number of wanting realism is much less than the number of wanting fun, look Dayz effects.

And as a studio, I bet income means much for BIS than its reponsibility of promote mil-sim, just like the title said "make arma not war".

The title is a play on words. I don't think most Dayz players realize the Dayz standalone is going to be crazy hardcore. But Arma has always been a realistic game. Realism is fun because real world know how and knowledge can be used. You aren't given a medal for trying. You win with superior tactics, knowledge and resources. Why would BI ditch their community to chase the COD and BF cash flow and fight EA and activision? BI isn't EA or Activision.

The majority of players want the game to be realistic, that's why it's not competing with COD or BF. Things are as they are now because of engine limitations, AI and lack of time and resources.

Edited by ProGamer

The title is a play on words. I don't think most Dayz players realize the Dayz standalone is going to be crazy hardcore. But Arma has always been a realistic game. Realism is fun because real world know how and knowledge can be used. You aren't given a medal for trying. You win with superior tactics, knowledge and resources. Why would BI ditch their community to chase the COD and BF cash flow and fight EA and activision? BI isn't EA or Activision.

The majority of players want the game to be realistic, that's why it's not competing with COD or BF. Things are as they are now because of engine limitations, AI and lack of time and resources.

----No matter you agree or not, No matter what type the mod would be, if only the mod could boost arma3 sell another 100,000 copies, the mod deserve the top award.

As you said, you feel realism is fun, but main steam players wouldn't agree, they feel GTA, COD10, BF4 are much fun. I by myself is a mil-sim fan, I like fly A-10C, BS2, I think they are fun, but I've found it is very hard to persuade my surrounding friends to play them, they prefer fly BF4 jets. And I bet the number of BF4 jets player is 100times bigger than the ones of A-10C. Mil-sim players are always minority.

ArmA3 engine has lots of potential of evolve into a sandbox RPG game, so the GTA online, S.T.A.L.K.E.R online, Fallout online type MOD could definitely attact much mainstream players. Main steam players always like survival, killing each other, jeopardize....this will bring them, easy and fun experience, and also a kind of show of hunman animal nature.

My post was buried in the other thread so I'll ask again here:

Regarding the ICRC award, would it be possible to clarify this a little bit:

Special Award:

• From all the Entries, members of the Jury representing the International Committee of the Red Cross will select an Entry covering the issues of health care in danger in the best way according to their personal opinion.
  • Shall the quality of the Entry allow it and shall the Organizer be interested in utilizing of the complete execution of the Entry for commercial purposes, the Organizer will offer the Participant conclusion of a relevant contract (i.e. publishing agreement).
  • The decision of the Sponsor, ICRC and the Jury is final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest.

Does this indicate that Bohemia is looking for medical system that could be hard-coded into core game here?

As an additional question, will the winner of this award be chosen solely by the representatives of the ICRC or do the other members of the jury have an influence on the decision in practice (eg. recommending the entry that would match their commercial interests best to the ICRC representatives?)

I think all of the points regarding content control are valid, it is definitely a concern. but my two cents on it would be to take part, and anything that promotes or grows the game is never a bad thing. I intend to enter one of the categories not sure which yet but ultimately have to trust that BI will run the competition fairly

i have a question, if i would try to make custom music pack, composed by me, which category would it fit in, or it doesn't fit "make arma not war" contest?

My post was buried in the other thread so I'll ask again here:

Regarding the ICRC award, would it be possible to clarify this a little bit:

Does this indicate that Bohemia is looking for medical system that could be hard-coded into core game here?

As an additional question, will the winner of this award be chosen solely by the representatives of the ICRC or do the other members of the jury have an influence on the decision in practice (eg. recommending the entry that would match their commercial interests best to the ICRC representatives?)

We're not looking for something to hardcode (e.g. medical system) into the core game. The topic of health care in danger will be considered very broadly, but to clarify this a bit further, we'll be sharing more details (including an interview with the ICRC) in the beginning of next year. The winner will indeed be selected by the representative(s) from the ICRC (but of course they might ask for advice from the other jury members).

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

i have a question, if i would try to make custom music pack, composed by me, which category would it fit in, or it doesn't fit "make arma not war" contest?

Unfortunately there's no category that is solely aimed at music, but having a great score can be a major plus (whether it's a singleplayer campaign, multiplayer mode, or modification). It simply adds a lot to the experience. Therefore, I would definitely recommend you to join forces with other people - or others to recruit you ;-)

Edited by Korneel

Wake-up call. They already own all our mods.

wrong

We're not looking for something to hardcode (e.g. medical system) into the core game. The topic of health care in danger will be considered very broadly, but to clarify this a bit further, we'll be sharing more details (including an interview with the ICRC) in the beginning of next year. The winner will indeed be selected by the representative(s) from the ICRC (but of course they might ask for advice from the other jury members).

Thanks a lot for the answer! :) This helps quite a lot already, but I still hope that you make the interests/motives and goals of this award as clear as possible then, so that the community would know what you might be possibly looking for. Looking forward that info splash :)

wrong

Game companies always do, unless you can show me the EULA that proves otherwise.

Even if they can't take it (not that they ever would), the authors have next to no rights to it, and BI can shut everything down at a moment's notice.

Unfortunately there's no category that is solely aimed at music, but having a great score can be a major plus (whether it's a singleplayer campaign, multiplayer mode, or modification). It simply adds a lot to the experience. Therefore, I would definitely recommend you to join forces with other people - or others to recruit you ;-)

i see, thanks for the answer, maybe i'll try to offer my work to anybody. :)

I'm a really good programmer/developer but I belive I might be too young to participate in a 500,000 euro worth contest. So I ask how old someone must be to submit to the contest.

18+. If below that you need consent from parent/legal guardian. It is written on the MANW contest page under rules.

Sign in to follow this