Sign in to follow this  
alduric

Chernarus port from samples

I fround cherno map (and others) in samples - So i can now port it legally and share? Samples have no textures for hole map. Can i use textures from ArmA 2 like i have to with vehicles and weapons?

//EDIT

Okay i talked with DnA, we booth waiting for answer from someone "higher".

At this point, mod is finished and ready to eventualy Release. I menage to make Chernarus and Utes 100% working, with A3 Lights, proper night sky/day sky. Shaders, buildings, roads, forests - all working.

Mod is called @A3CM - ArmA 3 Chernarus Mod

Little screen:

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/6682/r7cl.jpg (549 kB)

(Units and cars from Arma Samples Mod - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169068-ASM-Arma-Samples-Mod )

When DnA respond me with news (hope good one for us all) I will update info.

Edited by Alduric

PLEASE, NOTE THAT THIS SUMMARY HAS NO LEGAL EFFECT AND IS ONLY OF AN INFORMATORY NATURE DESIGNED FOR YOU TO GET THE BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE CONTENT OF THIS LICENCE. THE ONLY LEGALLY BINDING PROVISIONS ARE THOSE IN THE ORIGINAL AND FULL TEXT OF THIS LICENCE.

With this licence you are free to adapt (i.e. modify, rework or update) and share (i.e. copy, distribute or transmit) the material under the following conditions:

- Attribution — You must attribute the material in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the material).

- Noncommercial — You may not use this material for any commercial purposes.

- Arma Only - You may not convert or adapt this material to be used in other games than Arma.

- Share Alike — If you adapt, or build upon this material, you may distribute the resulting material only under the same license.

The full text of the license is part of the archive and can be obtained at http://www.bistudio.com/licenses/arma-public-license-share-alike.

Okay, polishing Cherno now then - Its fully working :)

Can i use textures from ArmA 2 like i have to with vehicles and weapons?

If textures are not in the files from BIS you cannot distribute under that license , so you must leave them out

Yep. Nice little trolling that is... Releases incomplete CWC-A2OADLC assets so that you can work from them but not directly port and release them without doing something illegal, that way they still can sell their old games. So, no, you're still not getting Chernarus, Takistan, or whatever other island/terrain you want for free. Still have to require the previous games.

I will send question to DNA, best way to get answer :)

I really don't even understand the point in releasing binarized pbos. I mean, do they want people to rip them open? And, if so, why not just release the textures with the samples?

Yep. Nice little trolling that is... Releases incomplete CWC-A2OADLC assets so that you can work from them but not directly port and release them without doing something illegal, that way they still can sell their old games. So, no, you're still not getting Chernarus, Takistan, or whatever other island/terrain you want for free. Still have to require the previous games.

well of course this is assuming the PBO binarised downloads which are also available does not have the data , i think what alduric is missing is that he can actually change then name of Chernarus and release and if the PBO contain the data then his new PBO wont affect them . which if he Gets a TAG would mean win win win for everyone

I really don't even understand the point in releasing binarized pbos. I mean, do they want people to rip them open? And, if so, why not just release the textures with the samples?

All cherno samples models are not binarized.

All cherno samples models are not binarized.

Samples don't have the textures, the other download, which contains pbos, are binarized pbos. That's not just Cherno, but all the islands in that zip file. My point, is what was the point of releasing the binarized pbos? The samples aren't in pbo files. They're just folders. And, since the textures are in the binarized pbos, I'd assume that you aren't allowed to take the textures from the pbos. Your sample models still require the textures.

Samples don't have the textures, the other download, which contains pbos, are binarized pbos. That's not just Cherno, but all the islands in that zip file. My point, is what was the point of releasing the binarized pbos? The samples aren't in pbo files. They're just folders. And, since the textures are in the binarized pbos, I'd assume that you aren't allowed to take the textures from the pbos. Your sample models still require the textures.

So there was somwhere legally to download binarized pbos with texutres?

Samples don't have the textures, the other download, which contains pbos, are binarized pbos. That's not just Cherno, but all the islands in that zip file. My point, is what was the point of releasing the binarized pbos?

"Arma Licensed Data Pack - Binarized data from the Arma series (from CWC to A2:CO) in PBO files. The purpose of this package is to clearly identify which game data is licensed for public use and modification, and what are the related conditions and requirements."

I interpret it as you can take the textures from that pack.

But I'm not sure I understand it correctly?

"Arma Licensed Data Pack - Binarized data from the Arma series (from CWC to A2:CO) in PBO files. The purpose of this package is to clearly identify which game data is licensed for public use and modification, and what are the related conditions and requirements."

I interpret it as you can take the textures from that pack.

But I'm not sure I understand it correctly?

yea but the point here is that the textures aren't in the pack but instead inside the arma 2 files that can only be acquired though purchasing the game, i think. so by saying "The purpose of this package is to clearly identify which game data is licensed for public use" they are saying you can release chernarus as long as you remake all the textures and don't use any of the original ones. which is really lame if you ask me.

Yeah, if the textures are not there, then we have a problem.

I understood from Flemmings post that the textures were included in the pack.

Havn't managed to dl it yet, but there should be other goodies.

Does the objects have textures included?

Then it should still be easy as long as the user own A2.

Just dl'd pack number 3 from the Arma Licensed Data Pack.

All the textures for the structures, objects, Utes layer files and more is there.

So, they should be free to use as I understand?

Utes should be portable without any hustle.

A not so wild guess is that the same goes for Chernarus.

Just dl'd pack number 3 from the Arma Licensed Data Pack.

All the textures for the structures, objects, Utes layer files and more is there.

So, they should be free to use as I understand?

Utes should be portable without any hustle.

A not so wild guess is that the same goes for Chernarus.

No, because those textures are in a binarized pbo. Honestly BIS explicitly says they are, them I'm not sure. If they are free to use, then I wish they'd have just put them with the sample models, or put them in a new zip folder to cut down on size.

I'm so glad to know that all of this is common access now.

Let the ports begin.