Sign in to follow this  
oukej

What Difficulty settings do you use?

What is your favourite difficulty?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite difficulty?

• RECRUIT (unmodified)
    • REGULAR (unmodified)
    • VETERAN (unmodified)
    • ELITE (unmodified)
    • One of the above, but MODIFIED (please specify!)

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]What difficulty preset do you prefer?

Recruit, Regular, Veteran or Elite?

Please, vote in the poll!

If so, please specify how in a post in this thread.

• [*=left]Do you adjust the AI UNIT SKILL sliders? How?
    [*=left]Do you change some of the sub-options (Enabled/Disabled)? Which?
    [*=left]Do you make any manual change inside the .Arma3Profile?

[/TD]

[TD]Difficulty_Settings.jpg[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thank you!

Do you adjust the preset of your choice?

Regular modified.

1. AI Unit sliders to 0.4

2. Sub-options set to match veteran.

3. No other tweaking.

Veteran modified, mainly with HUD options on (not all, HUD show group = clutter) to know where my squadmates are and what they are "thinking", and precision tonned down (maybe will lower these values) because terminators.

class veteran
{
	class Flags
	{
		HUD=1;
		HUDWp=1;
		HUDWpPerm=1;
		HUDGroupInfo=0;
		AutoSpot=0;
		WeaponCursor=1;
		ClockIndicator=1;
		3rdPersonView=1;
		UltraAI=0;
		CameraShake=1;
		DeathMessages=1;
		NetStats=1;
		VonID=0;
		ExtendetInfoType=0;
	};
	skillFriendly=0.80002338;
	skillEnemy=0.76002342;
	precisionFriendly=0.64004201;
	precisionEnemy=0.5680421;

Regular modified

Skills set to 0.8ish

Autospot, extended armour, friendly/enemy tag, minetag, extended map info, 3rd person, clock indicator, death messages and auto guide AT all off.

I prefer the "Regular" difficulty as I always assumed that the four difficulty settings were templates for the sub settings and sliders in the difficulty window. With the recent recoil experiments, I am no longer 100% sure that is true.

1. I put the AI skill sliders to 1 as I assume they serve as multipliers to the editor-set skill levels, so if a mission maker places a unit with max skill on, I prefer them to be set at 1 instead of (1 * Difficulty multiplier)

2. Yes, it's one of the reasons I prefer Regular as all the options are open to adjustment instead of being locked in the higher "templates". Here are the things I change from the default "Regular" setup:

• Extended armor - Off (Difficulty default: On) - I don't like to artificially reduce the killing power of the enemies
  • Auto report - Off (Difficulty default: On) - As I use friendly TAG for close range identification of units, and leave the Enemy TAG off because I don't want to accidentally discover units I was not aware of, for the same reasons I turn the Auto report off. I can manually do it if necessary.
  • Unlimited Saves - On (Difficulty default: Off) - I'd rather just outright enable myself to save as much as I want rather than being forced to tab out and backup saves every now and then. I take saving for granted in games today unless the games design has it's gameplay structured so that not saving actually affects you instead of forcing you to do the boring parts again just because you died. Mission makers often times do not include auto saves in their missions after parts you should only see once or that do not change or benefit from going through multiple times (Ironman in XCOM will always be turned on as the gameplay benefits from it and you don't have to go through whole "drive to AO", "kill fish in barrel" segments between autosaves)

Here are my reasons for not changing "controversial you are not hardcore if you have this enabled" options:

• Friendly TAG - Difficulty default: On - I use this as a close range friendly identification as it's not easy to know who is who as in real life. I don't like that it works for larger distances, and would rather I had the option to only show close range friendly TAGs, but it stays on as I find more use out of it for close range than it bothers me for long range.
  • Crosshairs - Difficulty default: On - It was made less of a precise tool for long range shooting in A3 and it shows when invisible geometry is blocking my shot. Maybe one day when we're playing with Occulus Rifts I'll turn it off.
  • Third person - Difficulty default: On - I love to fly, and flying from first person is limited unless you have a TrackIR. As I can't afford one, I use 3rd person because otherwise I can't make fast stops or certain precision movements that require some sense of positioning you cannot acquire without TrackIR. (You can't keep your head level with the horizon while slowing down hard in a chopper with just keyboard and mouse, thing which TrackIR is incredibly useful for)

3. No, I do not like to manually edit the profile files if I can avoid it and I can.

Regular modified

Main reason is that I want to play with unlimited saves. (For example if a unit gets stuck it sometimes can be solved by saving and loading).

Adjusted Precision settings to counter the insane AI precision. AI Mods used: TPW mods

class regular
{
	class Flags
	{
		Armor=0;
		FriendlyTag=0;
		EnemyTag=0;
		MineTag=0;
		HUD=1;
		HUDPerm=0;
		HUDWp=0;
		HUDWpPerm=0;
		HUDGroupInfo=0;
		AutoSpot=0;
		Map=1;
		WeaponCursor=0;
		AutoGuideAT=0;
		ClockIndicator=1;
		3rdPersonView=1;
		UltraAI=0;
		CameraShake=1;
		UnlimitedSaves=1;
		DeathMessages=1;
		NetStats=1;
		VonID=1;
		ExtendetInfoType=0;
	};
	skillFriendly=0.75;
	skillEnemy=0.72909224;
	precisionFriendly=0.52999989;
	precisionEnemy=0.49000001;
};

Regular with modifications:

};

class regular

{

class Flags

{

Armor=0;

FriendlyTag=0;

EnemyTag=0;

MineTag=1;

HUD=1;

HUDPerm=1;

HUDWp=1;

HUDWpPerm=1;

HUDGroupInfo=1;

AutoSpot=1;

Map=1;

WeaponCursor=1;

AutoGuideAT=0;

ClockIndicator=1;

3rdPersonView=1;

UltraAI=0;

CameraShake=0;

UnlimitedSaves=1;

DeathMessages=1;

NetStats=1;

VonID=1;

ExtendetInfoType=1;

};

skillFriendly=1;

skillEnemy=0.55000001;

precisionFriendly=0.99999994;

precisionEnemy=0.19;

Regular with the following parameters i care enough about to remember:

Extended Armor: Off

Tags: Off (Makes identifying units feel a bit cheaty)

Unlimited saves: On (The reason i use regular)

Crosshairs: Off

3rd person: On (Though i would prefer a separate '3rd person in vehicles only' option)

HUD show group: On (Otherwise it can get really hard to figure out who is in your team)

Auto report: Off (Though sometimes i feel like this setting doesnt actually work :p )

HUD waypoints info: I toggle this often. When i am messing around in the editor i usually turn it on. If i play a serious mission i have it turned off.

Extended map info: Off (I would rather not play at all than play with this turned on)

In ArmA2 i tweaked the AI options a lot, including the AIprecision paramaters in the config. I always had high AI skill combined with lower precision.

However i havent touched them since they were tied to the AI skill at some point and i dont know how it currently works which somewhat annoys me.

In ArmA3 i have the AI slider set to 0.5 for both friendly and enemy units.

Edited by NeMeSiS

Elite with all options turned down, if the mission has "normal" skills for AI.

If the mission has problems with AI skills definition (i.e. everyone is at skill 1, because of CreateUnit) => "Regular" with all options turned off and AI at 0.5.

I play with A3Profile adjusted to show

BluFor AI "Friendly Skill" = 1 and BluFor "friendly precision" = .90

I have "Enemy Skill" = .74 and "enemy precision" = .35

I still don't see a large difference from BluFor to Enemy (to be honest). Blufor continually seems lost and not effective as AI teammates. And when enemy precision is above .50 their accuracy is just crazy good.

Regular, modified - mainly because I need to see reported units on the map.

I find it unrealistic that my mates cannot point and explain precisely, where the enemy is - therefore I use the map.

AI skills both on 0.4 simply only because of their super-aim abilities right now. I would of course prefer other skills on max and aiming toned down. I also tried to edit AI precision in the config, but for some reason it seem not working at all - I can't see any difference now but it used to work well in Arma 2. So I have to tone down the whole skills to see some effect on accuracy. Maybe a bug here?

- Extended armor disabled

- Friendly TAG disabled

- Enemy TAG disabled

- Show detected mines enabled

- Extended HUD info disabled

- Permanent extended HUD info disabled

- HUD waypoints info enabled

- HUD waypoints info permanently enabled (I don't know how would anyone move according to your AI leader chaotic orders without waypoints being visible)

- HUD show group disabled

- Auto report disabled

- Extended map info enabled

- Weapon crosshair enabled (needed mainly to see if my weapon is blocked by an obstacle and to aim hand-grenades)

- Auto guide AT disabled

- Clock indicator enabled

- 3rd person view enabled/disabled according to current mood

- Super AI disabled

- Camera shake enabled

- Unlimited saves enabled (I have no time in my life anymore to play it old-school like OFP back in those days, however I would welcome limited amount of saves but one is not enough - three would be better)

- Allow full hud info disabled (don't know what it does)

Edited by Bouben

I prefer the "Regular" difficulty as I always assumed that the four difficulty settings were templates for the sub settings and sliders in the difficulty window. With the recent recoil experiments, I am no longer 100% sure that is true.

1. I put the AI skill sliders to 1 as I assume they serve as multipliers to the editor-set skill levels, so if a mission maker places a unit with max skill on, I prefer them to be set at 1 instead of (1 * Difficulty multiplier)

2. Yes, it's one of the reasons I prefer Regular as all the options are open to adjustment instead of being locked in the higher "templates". Here are the things I change from the default "Regular" setup:

• Extended armor - Off (Difficulty default: On) - I don't like to artificially reduce the killing power of the enemies
  • Auto report - Off (Difficulty default: On) - As I use friendly TAG for close range identification of units, and leave the Enemy TAG off because I don't want to accidentally discover units I was not aware of, for the same reasons I turn the Auto report off. I can manually do it if necessary.
  • Unlimited Saves - On (Difficulty default: Off) - I'd rather just outright enable myself to save as much as I want rather than being forced to tab out and backup saves every now and then. I take saving for granted in games today unless the games design has it's gameplay structured so that not saving actually affects you instead of forcing you to do the boring parts again just because you died. Mission makers often times do not include auto saves in their missions after parts you should only see once or that do not change or benefit from going through multiple times (Ironman in XCOM will always be turned on as the gameplay benefits from it and you don't have to go through whole "drive to AO", "kill fish in barrel" segments between autosaves)

Here are my reasons for not changing "controversial you are not hardcore if you have this enabled" options:

• Friendly TAG - Difficulty default: On - I use this as a close range friendly identification as it's not easy to know who is who as in real life. I don't like that it works for larger distances, and would rather I had the option to only show close range friendly TAGs, but it stays on as I find more use out of it for close range than it bothers me for long range.
  • Crosshairs - Difficulty default: On - It was made less of a precise tool for long range shooting in A3 and it shows when invisible geometry is blocking my shot. Maybe one day when we're playing with Occulus Rifts I'll turn it off.
  • Third person - Difficulty default: On - I love to fly, and flying from first person is limited unless you have a TrackIR. As I can't afford one, I use 3rd person because otherwise I can't make fast stops or certain precision movements that require some sense of positioning you cannot acquire without TrackIR. (You can't keep your head level with the horizon while slowing down hard in a chopper with just keyboard and mouse, thing which TrackIR is incredibly useful for)

3. No, I do not like to manually edit the profile files if I can avoid it and I can.

Pretty much the same,except for the auto report. I have no idea what that does, so I keep it on.

Modified. I play on Regular, but with everything off expect HUD, Waypoints (not the permanent options), camera shake, and infinite saves. The AI for both friendlies and enemies is maxed.

I leave the saves on as I use mods, so it gets pretty unreliable at times.

Regular modified.

1. Enemy AI Unit sliders to 0.3, Friendly AI Unit sliders to 0.5

2. Sub-options set to match veteran.

3. No other tweaking.

All difficulty settings as in veteran (but with unlimited savegames). Both sliders (enemy/friendly) set to 0.85.

Hi, i use the Regular setting but set up as Vet just to keep the unlimited saves, i don't go crawl like a rat and do 1h turn arrounds just to get a perfect headshot from one of the AI aimbots; that annoys me very much. Let's C ya

Thank you for voting and giving us feedback!

Were you willing to provide the .Arma3Profile you use for our internal purposes, we'd be grateful - please send the single file to me (use my nick at the company address)

Were you willing to provide the .Arma3Profile you use for our internal purposes, we'd be grateful - please send the single file to me (use my nick at the company address)

Do you mean 'yournickname' at bistudio dot com?

Do you mean 'yournickname' at bistudio dot com?

yup

Mostly modified regular and settings depend on my mood and how hard the mission is. So if there's too much enemy AI against me and AI I just lower enemy and increase friendly skills. Veteran doesn't let change the AI sliders freely.

So regular modified to veteran but 3rd person and crosshair off and AI skill depending on the mission.