Sign in to follow this  
brightcandle

What I found about performance and I what I want to help fix it

thats good news.

will anything be done regarding buildins? destroyed building is a performance killer aswell.

thats good news.

will anything be done regarding buildins? destroyed building is a performance killer aswell.

I plan to check it (assign somebody).

I understand that IF optimizations happen they will increase some FPS when people die . But will this also have an effect during a firefight without any KIA soldiers?

I only play on Hostile Takeover servers with no ai and 48 players. Framerate is nice at the beginning , ~55 frames but sometimes it slowly drops until it reachs 30-40 frames. Didnt saw crashed buildings but many kills where made and a few vehicle wrecks. If i restart the game and rejoin the framerate is playable again.

I only play on Hostile Takeover servers with no ai and 48 players. Framerate is nice at the beginning , ~55 frames but sometimes it slowly drops until it reachs 30-40 frames. Didnt saw crashed buildings but many kills where made and a few vehicle wrecks. If i restart the game and rejoin the framerate is playable again.

I have exactly the same behavior as you (on King of the Hills missions on Hostile takeover servers)

report: Dead bodies optimization is in progress.

Yay for optimisations! Optimise all the things! ;)

I plan to check it (assign somebody).

Didn't we already establish that buildings are just "saved underground" ? If so: are their animation stages being constantly put trough the system, perhaps? Is the system still calculating wether or not it's geometry lod has to interact with humans, vehicles or ammunition?

I wonder whether Bi employees still sometimes take screenshots of their results. You know, For sience...

Is the new stand-alone Dedicated Server package in the DEV gonna help with any type of optimization ?

can't the buildings be cached instead? like the ai in the alive mod?

As requested we rerun a mission with extremely poor FPS (CPU limited) with the development branch using the diag_captureFrame.

I took note of the server FPS throughout the game and never saw it below 47. Client side FPS started at 77 and dropped to about 55 once the mission was loaded and then by the time we were in range of the enemy FPS was down to 30. GPU usage was low throughout the mission, dropped at the end (when FPS was worst) to 30% according to GPU-Z.

Pathagia mission

- 15 players(!) in multiplayer

- around 100 AI with 4 light vehicles (2xtrucks, 2xifrits) most in and around the town. Some static assets like 50cals, tow and most AI in static fortified positions.

Traces taken at various points through the mission for comparison:

(1) - All players connected, no AI or other mission assets: http://pastebin.com/p9VgvNdm

(2) - AI loaded but players still at main airport: http://pastebin.com/LvvqGFYG

(3)- Players down 1KM southwest of objective town moving in: http://pastebin.com/tC3aZYGP

- Points taken through the mission as we enter the town and fight through:

(4) http://pastebin.com/3xZD4L3G

(5) http://pastebin.com/GQvvHgjF

(6) http://pastebin.com/N5bQvKwh

(7) http://pastebin.com/yXRiKLWw

- Mission completed, nothing but dead bodies around in the town: (8) http://pastebin.com/aPnACFDH

Also earlier in the day I captured the following with the mission load, just me in ghost amoung the AI, should tell us what the players are costing us in comparison to trace 4: http://pastebin.com/xkaBteJj

Let us know if you need any more information. I will start taking a look through all the traces myself and try to summarise what grows in time consumption as the mission progresses.

report: Dead bodies optimization is in progress.

I though dead bodies got optimised in Arma 1? Or was it Arma 2? Can't remember, hopefully we will get it in Arma 3. Or will dev time have to be spent on it again when Arma 4 comes?

Pretty much with dead bodies you have to clean them off the mission. Have a script that will run for every 5 minutes to delete them off the mission so get your frames back.

In these profiles how would the scripts manifest themselves? Its not clear from the cryptic names which aspects our scripts are potentially impacting.

From this output it appears that the simulation part of the game is struggling most in the town, what contributes to that and what can we do about it exactly? Are scripts perhaps getting accounted into that and in which aspect?

Outside of the town however the game seems to be struggling on the render aspect, it climbs from 16ms to 22ms. Thus it looks like there are too many draw calls occurring there in the open ground and thus responsible for the poor performance. In general the render time is always hovering around 16+ ms so is right at the edge of what is possible, is there an excessive amount of draw calls occurring?

Not quite sure what it all means yet, but I don't see one thing, I see a few things that clearly grow in size in a real game, with the simulation aspect of the main thread being the primary concern.

should be optional to remove dead bodies. Often you need to go back to resupply, say a tank appears and you downed an AT guy a few minutes ago.

At least choose whether both the body and gear or only the body should be removed

I bought a 4770 along with 4x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 21333Mhz (CL9), 2x nVidia 780 Ti and just for the fun...2x 512GB Samsung 840 PRO which I putted in Raid0. I overclocked the processor to 4.5Ghz and the videocards to 1150Mhz/7800Mhz....launched ARMA3 thinking that now I have a badass computer where I can really enjoy playing this game on good videosetting....only to find that AUTODETECT game me less under 20FPS avarage in Altis in any missions I tried out. I found myself needing o lowering each of my videosetting 2, 3, even 4 steps in order to get above 60FPS which is a number Im happy with.

Okey, I love the visual in the game, no dought about that and I do love the game but Im supprised that the developer didnt improve the optimalization as ARMA2 struggled. I bet my new computer will not even run ARMA2 on ULTRA settings.

Anyway, I hope we will see more optimalizations on the game...even thought its been out public for almost 9 months now.

I bought a 4770 along with 4x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 21333Mhz (CL9), 2x nVidia 780 Ti and just for the fun...2x 512GB Samsung 840 PRO which I putted in Raid0. I overclocked the processor to 4.5Ghz and the videocards to 1150Mhz/7800Mhz....launched ARMA3 thinking that now I have a badass computer where I can really enjoy playing this game on good videosetting....only to find that AUTODETECT game me less under 20FPS avarage in Altis in any missions I tried out. I found myself needing o lowering each of my videosetting 2, 3, even 4 steps in order to get above 60FPS which is a number Im happy with.

Okey, I love the visual in the game, no dought about that and I do love the game but Im supprised that the developer didnt improve the optimalization as ARMA2 struggled. I bet my new computer will not even run ARMA2 on ULTRA settings.

Anyway, I hope we will see more optimalizations on the game...even thought its been out public for almost 9 months now.

Bro, do you even English?

hm could be the SLI that Confused the autodetection. Heard that SLI is not that big with A3

Bro, do you even English?

Bro, please tell me which part of my post you didnt understand and I will gladly explain it better for you...

Bro, please tell me which part of my post you didnt understand and I will gladly explain it better for you...

I was referring to your horrible spelling and grammar. :p

I understood everything he wrote, no need to turn this into a grammar contest :)

If you turn up the visibility so you can see the whole map then chances are, based on the traces I took, the game is struggling to make enough draw calls and is CPU limited in its main thread resulting in the FPS drop. However if you don't turn up the visibility and instead run it at something reasonable like 2000 and play a real multiplayer game what you find is FPS still drops to 25 fps, and it seems to do so because the simulation of the game world itself is taking a huge amount of time, not particularly because of draw calls. On that main thread are calls out to Input, PhysX, AI, Sound, visualUA, rendering and the game world. With nothing in the world the rendering part takes at least 10ms from anywhere on Altis, more often its 16ms and my traces show it up to 22ms or more. So its very hard for the game to exceed 60 fps just due to the render calls on the main thread. But when you start putting AI and such into the game then game world updates take over as the dominate problem.

The issue is its not one thing growing, its basically everything as far as I can see but with the game world updates being the biggest climber throughout the mission. It keeps getting worse despite the AI dying off, the last trace is just us surrounded by dead bodies in a town, with depleted players and everything else. What is taking the simulation so long in those circumstances? Because its got considerably less to do than at mission start which had AI moving around, players moving around etc etc. At the top level lots of the game sim elements grow between my traces, the growth is in basically all the top elements of game world updates, but the names are too cryptic to work out what they mean and do. And because so much shares the main thread the offloaded AI, the doubling of the time processing sound and extra render calls all push it into unplayable FPS. Its not as simple as to say its geometry, so while its true if you have the visibility so high the problem I am looking into is wider than that. I can live with lower visibility settings but we do need a real game (15 players is not a big MP mission) to have playable frame rates.