Sign in to follow this  
danil-ch

Will the Hand Signals/gestures ever return?

Will the Hand Signals/gestures ever return? Arma%202%20ACR%20Screen%2001.jpg

We have an analysis for hand signals, but it's not yet implemented as it required a lot of work to do to the right standards and there are lots of more 'fundamental' animations I'd like to see polished first.

• Gestures should work in all stances (standing, crouched, prone) and adjusted stances
  • Gestures should work underwater
  • Gestures should work in multiplayer
  • Gestures should work with rifles and pistols
  • Gestures should work with weapon raised and lowered
  • Gestures need not work in conjunction with binoculars or launchers (i.e. no gesture played)
  • Gestures need not work when unarmed (i.e. no gesture played)
  • Gestures need not work outside of the scope of playing as a soldier (i.e. not played in vehicles, aircraft, parachuting/ free-falling)
  • Gestures need not work when incapacitated (i.e. no gesture played)
  • Gestures should work across the full range of movement in Standing or Crouched and with weapon raised or lowered
  • Gestures need not work while moving in prone (i.e. no gesture is played)
  • Gestures should not prevent or delay weapon discharge in any stance
  • Gestures should not prevent or delay movement in any stance

For past 10 months there wasn't any news about this. So maybe developers can clarify what can we expect.

Like you said, there hasn't been any news about it in months. So, it's likely that implementation is months away too, if ever.

I think they still have a lot higher priority issues at the animation department.

Well,

if you play TvT - the lack of hand signals is a big issue - if you prefer to play a realistic teamplay. I am also not sure, if the AI react to ACRE.

Well,

if you play TvT - the lack of hand signals is a big issue - if you prefer to play a realistic teamplay. I am also not sure, if the AI react to ACRE.

We have tech required to do the hand signals quite well, we have mocap data for this, its all down to design now. Best you can do is post a ticket on feedback tracker and vote up the feature.

Edited by Smookie
  • Like 1

I thought that there was already hand signals. I know that in one of the Wasteland variants they have them, and that didn't require a separate download (the dev used all vanilla stuff with scripts.)

Unless I'm totally wrong and the hand signals were added by a script of some sort. I'm not actually sure.

I thought that there was already hand signals. I know that in one of the Wasteland variants they have them, and that didn't require a separate download (the dev used all vanilla stuff with scripts.)

Unless I'm totally wrong and the hand signals were added by a script of some sort. I'm not actually sure.

True, i remember playing on a server where i would stand across the hill, and wave at enemies at their base... Not sure how it was implemented though, im sure it's via. script. Most likely server side. Though, having this feature widely implemented, as Smookie stated, a Feedback ticket.

True, i remember playing on a server where i would stand across the hill, and wave at enemies at their base... Not sure how it was implemented though, im sure it's via. script. Most likely server side. Though, having this feature widely implemented, as Smookie stated, a Feedback ticket.

Animation files for the same hand signals as they are in Arma 2 are already included with the game files, then the scripts in those missions or addons call on them to trigger them on your unit.

Certain hand signals in Arma 2, in addition to being callable by script, were also played with certain radio commands you gave out. For Arma 3 they are no longer played when you use radio commands, and this is what I believe Smookie means by design.

Arma 3 has vastly improved the radio protocol and there is full audio support so you can hear orders by the other, friendly or hostile, squads around you. You can hear the enemy properly, so if the hand signals were just tied to the radio commands as before, they would be kinda redundant as you are already communicating by voice with your squad and if you tried to use it in a "stealth" manner, the enemy would hear you anyway.

They probably made a decision that if they are to re-implement them again, they need to do so properly, so you can issue commands with hand signals without playing audio so they aren't just useless visual gimmicks to the radio commands but instead a worthy and useful addition to the infantry combat.

Arma 2 had a non-gimmick implementation with ACE2, which implemented a "mouse gesture" system that played appropriate hand signals and issued orders silently, so it added some actual purpose to them.

Animation files for the same hand signals as they are in Arma 2 are already included with the game files, then the scripts in those missions or addons call on them to trigger them on your unit.

Certain hand signals in Arma 2, in addition to being callable by script, were also played with certain radio commands you gave out. For Arma 3 they are no longer played when you use radio commands, and this is what I believe Smookie means by design.

Arma 3 has vastly improved the radio protocol and there is full audio support so you can hear orders by the other, friendly or hostile, squads around you. You can hear the enemy properly, so if the hand signals were just tied to the radio commands as before, they would be kinda redundant as you are already communicating by voice with your squad and if you tried to use it in a "stealth" manner, the enemy would hear you anyway.

They probably made a decision that if they are to re-implement them again, they need to do so properly, so you can issue commands with hand signals without playing audio so they aren't just useless visual gimmicks to the radio commands but instead a worthy and useful addition to the infantry combat.

Arma 2 had a non-gimmick implementation with ACE2, which implemented a "mouse gesture" system that played appropriate hand signals and issued orders silently, so it added some actual purpose to them.

Understood, however, can't remember the server, probably one of Sa-matra's or some else. They used the Num pad. It gave no voice commands, and was useful, ounce you got a hang of it, in terms of memory. But on everything else, you are correct.

Understood, however, can't remember the server, probably one of Sa-matra's or some else. They used the Num pad. It gave no voice commands, and was useful, ounce you got a hang of it, in terms of memory. But on everything else, you are correct.

Yes, that's what I'm saying, I might have not been clear enough.

The animations for hand gestures are in game itself, Arma 2 and Arma 3. When you just play that animation by script, no order or radio command is issued in either game.

In Arma 2, when you used the built in radio commands (~ - 1 - 6), the character says their line, the order is given, the hand signal animation is played.

In Arma 3, only the sound is played and the order is given.

When implemented by script to use such animations, in either game, it depends on the person who coded it on what, why and how something happens.

One can make it so when you press Num 2, only the animation is played, or only the voice command is played, or only the order is given, or any combination of the tree. They are three separate entities.

Animation files for the same hand signals as they are in Arma 2 are already included with the game files,...

You should be The Head of Department of Explaining Stuff, mate :). Seriously.

Yeah, I think it was Sa-Matra's. Haven't been on in a while but that might have been it.

Arma 2/OA Vanilla never had hand signals by default. They were part of a mod. So you are demanding their return from the BI developers about something that was not there before.

You can try the gestures yourself in the editor

Just type following into the debug window:

player playAction "GestureGo";

You can replace "GestureGo" by:

"GestureCover"

"GestureAttack"

"GestureCeaseFire"

"GestureFollow"

"GestureUp"

"GestureAdvance"

"GesturePoint"

Some of them are duplicates and some dont work....

ACE forArma 2 also gives you the option to execute Hand signals via the numpad keys. It is extremely convenient and fast once you remember wich key does what.

Arma 2/OA Vanilla never had hand signals by default. They were part of a mod. So you are demanding their return from the BI developers about something that was not there before.

False.

I4GuBFGl.jpg

That's a screenshot from Arma 2 as vanilla as it gets.