Sign in to follow this  
peral

A-10C for Arma 3

The A-10C is in it's alpha version and about to start closed testing for first release. Shooting for a alpha release first half of January. CCIP and CCRP and screen systems are going to take longer then planned, so will not be in alpha version.

2013-12-30_00003_zps24a2bb5b.jpg?t=1388430731

The A-10C is in it's alpha version and about to start closed testing for first release. Shooting for a alpha release first half of January. CCIP and CCRP and screen systems are going to take longer then planned, so will not be in alpha version.

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t670/Christopher_Peral/2013-12-30_00003_zps24a2bb5b.jpg?t=1388430731

HOly god, oh my god oh my god... that's looks soooo awesome!!!

spongebob.jpg?w=233&h=300

Are you accepting applications for the closed testing or do you already have a group in place?

Is it just me or is everyone thinking how nice it would be to have the cockpit functionality in all aircraft for the Arma series?

I know Nodunit and Franze spent along time making the Ah64D, and with a considerable amount of help to get the project working. But, with that said, the A10 seems to have been built pretty quick using that functionality. I think Nodunit and Franze have opened the floodgates now and started most of the ground work to have this sort of cockpit operation for all the vehicles. I'm no modder and would love to be able to do it myself. but think of the possibilities of realism for clans and mil-sim groups. Pilots have to "warm" the engine first before they can fly, this then adds real waiting time for ground units wanting CAS if an aircraft is on alert 5.

I might be getting off point here but for Mil-sim groups this new addition to aircraft addons is quite frankly AWESOME! Credit to Nodunit and Franze for pioneering this type of addon and credit to Peral for his work on the A10. I can't wait!:yay:

I don't know how much of the function Franze changed but NouberNou deserves credit as well since he provided us the means to overcome issues that were present prior..and if nothing else he deserves credit for pushing us to to it, the guy was very persistent and it paid off.

yeah! finaly some good addons to bring realism back to this arcade game!

Well, may you ask the DCS team for some scripts to make it better ^^

Thats not quite how it works...they use two different languages for one.

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t670/Christopher_Peral/2013-12-30_00003_zps24a2bb5b.jpg?t=1388430731

Looking great, though if I may make a suggestion, the DCS flood lights seemed a bit too green, there is a FAA standard for cockpit that are to be used in tandem with night vision equipment and it seems to be more of a seagreen across

https://www.google.com/search?q=FAA+cockpit+lighting&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=iObBUsj7EIrOkQephoB4&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=934

Nothing you have to act on of course, it is your addon so you do with it as you wish. Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing where you go from here.

the guy was very persistent and it paid off.

I am the herpes of pushing SQF tech. :p

971d2e015a9286a40a51bd203d7932479bc8ee0d9396be7f87e5e44963e1cfa8.jpg

I am in for closed testing if you need more people. :cool:

Having experience with DCS:A-10,X-Plane 10 and many custom made vehicles for ArmA ,

i would like to offer my services as an tester for your A-10c.

Any bugs or feedback will be given to you in an organised, reproducable and responsive manner.

Oh man I can't wait!

Out of interest can you start the plane via keys? (Shift for easy start up) This question has probably already been asked, but I thought it would be easier to just ask. Great addon by the way!

more pacific sounds for the A-10
I think ocean waves and whales is exactly what's needed from this mod... Imagine being buzzed by this thing only for it to sound like waves crashing over your head ;)

On a more serious note, I'm part of a Milsim unit and we're watching this mod very closely, anything that increases realism gets our vote. We're experienced players and testers and would volunteer our time to help you test your mod

Edited by PeckTF91

Please tell me the GAU-8 doesn't vaporize main battle tanks. That's always bothered me.

Please tell me the GAU-8 doesn't vaporize main battle tanks. That's always bothered me.

30mm depleted uranium fin stabalized sabot high explosive combat mix at 4200 rounds per minute goes thrue mbt's like a hot knife thrue butter. There's absolutely no armored vehicle on modern battlefield that can resist the Gau 8. 5 or 10 individual 30mm rounds? Maybe, perhaps even 30 or 40, but not 200 fired at a little 100 square foot box.

30mm depleted uranium fin stabalized sabot high explosive combat mix at 4200 rounds per minute goes thrue mbt's like a hot knife thrue butter. There's absolutely no armored vehicle on modern battlefield that can resist the Gau 8. 5 or 10 individual 30mm rounds? Maybe, perhaps even 30 or 40, but not 200 fired at a little 100 square foot box.

Contrary to popular belief, the GAU-8 Avenger is not a magic death ray.

Most modern Main Battle Tanks utilize a large 120-125mm gun for a reason. These guns have a much larger muzzle velocity, and a much larger effective range (1200m vs 4000m). The 3BM48 "Свинец-2" round designed for a 125mm smoothbore gun can penetrate around 800mm of armor (which means it can blast through Chobham armour). But the GAU-8's 30mm Depleted Uranium (AP) round can only penetrate about 70mm of armour at 500m, and about 40mm at a range of 1000m.

Instead of going "thrue mbt's like a hot knife thrue butter", the most the GAU-8's going to do is help me pry open that slippery pickle jar.

Do some research. The Avenger is not some wunderwaffen, it can NOT penetrate the armor of a T62, let alone something bigger and better.

Color yourself educated after at least reading this.

1.gif

Click Me

How much can penetration vs heavy and light armor be simulated in Arma?

The real question is can you have the 4:1 combat mix for the Avenger. The armor penetration is simple.

Do some research. The Avenger is not some wunderwaffen, it can NOT penetrate the armor of a T62, let alone something bigger and better.

Color yourself educated after at least reading this.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/booce/A10%20Coloring%20Book/1.gif

Click Me

Alright first of all I don't appreciate that kind of childish sarcasm. I might not know everything about weaponary, but I do know one or two things about physics. And like I said in my pervious post, its not the ammo type itself, its the way in which its delivered on its target. 10 or 20 rounds fired from a Bradly IFV won't do much. But 200 or 300 round landing on the target simultaneously is a whole diffrent story.

Its called the law of conservation of energy. Its bascially a force multiplier effect, that many rounds hitting pretty much the same spot pretty much simultaneously not only puts massive stress on the armor. It also heats up and becomes softer. There have even been cases of T-72 which were hit by the Gau-8 in the Gulf War, where only 1 or 2 rounds actually penetrated, but the heat on the armor caused the munitions inside to combust and the crew burned to death.

That's why the Gau-8 is so effective, its not power or even accuracy, its saturation.

So sir next time you try to make a witty sarcastic remark, in advance, please do your homework yourself:

[img ]http://0.tqn.com/d/create/1/0/R/k/3/-/Physics.JPG[/img]

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Alright first of all I don't appreciate that kind of childish sarcasm. I might not know everything about weaponary, but I do know one or two things about physics. And like I said in my pervious post, its not the ammo type itself, its the way in which its delivered on its target. 10 or 20 rounds fired from a Bradly IFV won't do much. But 200 or 300 round landing on the target simultaneously is a whole diffrent story.

Its called the law of conservation of energy. Its bascially a force multiplier effect, that many rounds hitting pretty much the same spot pretty much simultaneously not only puts massive stress on the armor. It also heats up and becomes softer. There have even been cases of T-72 which were hit by the Gau-8 in the Gulf War, where only 1 or 2 rounds actually penetrated, but the heat on the armor caused the munitions inside to combust and the crew burned to death.

That's why the Gau-8 is so effective, its not power or even accuracy, its saturation.

Except that the Gau-8 isn't even close enough to accurate enough to do that. At the ranges stated above as able to penetrate the rear armour of the T62, let alone anything more modern, 80% of the rounds fall within 12m. Which is a huge circle. Thats like twice the length of the vehicle, which means something like 75% of the rounds are going to miss.

Also, conservation of energy is entirely not what you think it is.

Except that the Gau-8 isn't even close enough to accurate enough to do that. At the ranges stated above as able to penetrate the rear armour of the T62, let alone anything more modern, 80% of the rounds fall within 12m. Which is a huge circle. Thats like twice the length of the vehicle, which means something like 75% of the rounds are going to miss.

Also, conservation of energy is entirely not what you think it is.

Well the accuracy is to be debated, there are a lot of factors that change how accurate a pilot can be with the gun. Aswell as it has been improved over time with the Gau 8 as it was upgraded for the A10C, aswell as the ammo.

However what's there not to understand about conservation of energy? I know that the law states its a closed cirquit but I doubt that would impact the result very much. Depleted uranium is the hardest metal known to man, and most tank armor is made up out of somekind of polarised titanium/metal allo, which is also very hard. Force meets force, there's no initial chemical reaction so pretty much all of the energy translates in heat. A lot of heat, because speed is the most decisive factor in that law. A 3 pound projectile traveling at 4 or 5 times the speed of sound, made out of that material... do the math.

Look, even if it takes 5 runs to destroy a tank. Its going down, that weapon was specifically designed to destroy tanks, and that's what it does. And I wish Arma would simulate things like wind, balistics and armor. But it doesn't, so if you're making a mod like this you have to consider what you want to sacrifice in terms of realism. I think it would be stupid to nerf the Gau-8 to a gun that's only capable of taking out infantry. Because it would defeat the entire purpose of having an A10. The A10 was built to make that gun airborne, its literally a flying gun. Everything aroud it was made to accomodate it, not the other way around.

However what's there not to understand about conservation of energy? I know that the law states its a closed cirquit but I doubt that would impact the result very much. Depleted uranium is the hardest metal known to man, and most tank armor is made up out of somekind of polarised titanium/metal allo, which is also very hard. Force meets force, there's no initial chemical reaction so pretty much all of the energy translates in heat. A lot of heat, because speed is the most decisive factor in that law. A 3 pound projectile traveling at 4 or 5 times the speed of sound, made out of that material... do the math.

744kj give or take. Carbon steel has a SHC of 0.49, so 1 round will (making the massive assumption that all the energy is transferred as heat and it doesn't bounce or make noise or any other method of energy transfer) heat up a 100kg lump of carbon steel 1.4c, so assuming (another massive assumption) that a full 70 rounds from a 1 second burst hit the same section of armour you're looking at raising it 100c. Or, in plain english, there is no way the maths works out. Because a good 95+% or the energy is actually going to be kept in the round as it bounces off.

Look, even if it takes 5 runs to destroy a tank. Its going down, that weapon was specifically designed to destroy tanks, and that's what it does. And I wish Arma would simulate things like wind, balistics and armor. But it doesn't, so if you're making a mod like this you have to consider what you want to sacrifice in terms of realism. I think it would be stupid to nerf the Gau-8 to a gun that's only capable of taking out infantry. Because it would defeat the entire purpose of having an A10. The A10 was built to make that gun airborne, its literally a flying gun. Everything aroud it was made to accomodate it, not the other way around.

Gau8s can penetrate the armour of most tanks from some angles, but its not like using a chainsaw on butter. Generally the top armour is vulnerable to it on most tanks, as is the rear armour. But an A10s main weapons for engaging tanks are Mavericks and GBUs, the Gau-8 is more useful for use on lighter armoured vehicles, especially like Shilkas. The Gau 8 has a longer effective range than the ZSU-23s on a shilka, allowing an A10 to kill shilkas before moving in to engage rest of a formation.

744kj give or take. Carbon steel has a SHC of 0.49, so 1 round will (making the massive assumption that all the energy is transferred as heat and it doesn't bounce or make noise or any other method of energy transfer) heat up a 100kg lump of carbon steel 1.4c, so assuming (another massive assumption) that a full 70 rounds from a 1 second burst hit the same section of armour you're looking at raising it 100c. Or, in plain english, there is no way the maths works out. Because a good 95+% or the energy is actually going to be kept in the round as it bounces off.

If 95% of the energy is retained after impact that would mean that the round would fly atleast another 2 miles after impact, which is just not true. Besides, I never said that the heat involved is what ultimatly kills the tank. Its the fact that it has a huge effect on the way the ammunition behaves witht he armor on impact. If a sabot get just a littlebit of penetration, it can claw itself into the armor and the energy behind that round is forced onto a much smaller spot. That's what a sabot is desgined to do. Its why in the Gulf War they were so devestating. Because most tanks in use were old, badly greased soviet tanks that had been sitting in the sun all day long.

Isn't this all getting a bit out of control and off topic a little? Peral is working on things as best he can, and I know that you all are aware of this, but if you all are so full of information, maybe you can help him find a scripter that will help out with the CCIP and things, lol. It was fun to read the last ten posts or something, but let's get back on topic of the model itself, right?

Isn't this all getting a bit out of control and off topic a little? Peral is working on things as best he can, and I know that you all are aware of this, but if you all are so full of information, maybe you can help him find a scripter that will help out with the CCIP and things, lol. It was fun to read the last ten posts or something, but let's get back on topic of the model itself, right?

I don't see how this is off topic. We're discussing the A10. If Peral thinks he needs my help he's more then welcome to ask.

It is completely OT to discuss the GAU-8. This is about the A-10 which is in the works by Peral. If you don't fell comfortable, i'm willing to hand out thread bans if it is necessary.