Sign in to follow this  
Game__On

We need 64 bit support !

Read :

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=13693

This game engine is too ancient to take proper use of MODERN hardware

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Over 70% of steam users are on 64 bit OS , and have more than 4 Gig of memory .

Why is arma STILL 32 bit ?!?!??!

Read :

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=13693

This game engine is too ancient to take proper use of MODERN hardware

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Over 70% of steam users are on 64 bit OS , and have more than 4 Gig of memory .

Why is arma STILL 32 bit ?!?!??!

Correct thread would be YOU need 64bit binary file. Who is we in your sentance? How would you know if I need it or not?

/?

Because 30% aren't.

haha :D I'm guessing (sarcasm) that's NOT the reason that arma 3 is still on ancient 32 bit :D

BI is a small indie developer in a rather small country in Europe.

They don't have the time, resources, manpower, or money to make a new engine.

It will make the company lose a lot of money and produce little money because ArmA 3 isn't particularly an extremely popular game.

Also because of DayZ a lot of the stuff above was allocated to that game instead of ArmA 3. But if it weren't for DayZ, I believe this company would be crumbling right now.

^ Since we do not have any confirmation on this, this is my take on the situation. Please don't rage at me for having a opinion.

we need more people like you op, BIS has no clue about their game and engine, you are literary opening their eyes on their own product.

Correct thread would be YOU need 64bit binary file. Who is we in your sentance? How would you know if I need it or not?

/?

Judging by number of page faults and combined usage of virtual memory with file mapping memory exceeding 7gb+, I would say everyone kinda would benefit from it.

we need more people like you op, BIS has no clue about their game and engine, you are literary opening their eyes on their own product.

Serious!!! But he pwns at BF3- surely he knoes better???? :p:p:p

yep, it's so obviosly, when you are having 120 fps in bf3, you should have the same in arma 3 as well!

64 Bit exe is unnecessary IMO. What would be good would be if a maxmem switch of 4096 was allowed so that those of us with 64 Bit Windows could have the maximum address space available to the application. Surely this would be quick to implement?

64 Bit exe is unnecessary IMO. What would be good would be if a maxmem switch of 4096 was allowed so that those of us with 64 Bit Windows could have the maximum address space available to the application. Surely this would be quick to implement?

well, what you think, it isn't yet implemented then?

So apart from Memory allocation what does 64bits and pieces have that 32bits and pieces doesn't have... except for 32 more 1s ?

I mean do we really need the extra 1s... my hard drive is pritty full, do I really want to slow it down even more with these extras 1s ?

SAY NO TO THE 1s

Edited by BL1P

Because 30% aren't.

The needs of the Many outweigh the needs of the few....... Time to move on from old 32 bit system... and embrace the "Future"..

It really is necessary for the next installation. Probably necessary for this current one also. I don't think I could ever run certain settings on their highest levels because 4GB would be totally insufficient to handle all the data without lots of hiccups.

The time has passed where the 32-bit addressing limitations are no longer acceptable. I can understand why the switch wasn't made for A3, given how stretched their resources were, but it's a major issue now that we're still stuck in 32-bit space, and I think quite a few performance complaints boil down to RAM usage (or lack thereof). Point is, performance may already be heavily constrained by RAM limits, and any future releases are going to see that constraint only tighten much harder as quality expectations (and RAM requirements) rise. They need to spend a lot of resources now on making the transition for the future.

So apart from Memory allocation what does 64bits and pieces have that 32bits and pieces doesn't have... except for 32 more 1s ?

I mean do we really need the extra 1s... my hard drive is pritty full, do I really want to slow it down even more with these extras 1s ?

SAY NO TO THE 1s

Your 60 GB harddrive is full ?

You don't say .

That's not even enough space for ONE game like BF3 + map packs. :D

So everybody should suffer horrible performance just because there seem to be some people that have hard drives the size of usb sticks ? Yeah let's hold off ALL technology for the three stragglers :yay:

In fact, SAY NO TO everything ! I wantDOS back ! :j:

I'm just kidding somewhat . -_-

Anyway, back on topic, arma 3 SHOULD have been 64 bit already. 70% of people NOW is already on 64 bit, and the game is barely out.

Imagine how many that will be in + 1 year, or + 2 years.

well, what you think, it isn't yet implemented then?

as far as I know, 2047 is still the maximum

ArmA 3 is LAA so it can (if it needs to) use up to 4GB, as far as i know.

And about the benefits of a 64bit app, let me quote a man who definately knows it:

This is not true. You can compute with 64b real numbers ("doubles") in 32b without any issues. With some limitations you can even compute with 64b integers - this is easier and somewhat faster in 64b, but this is something which has extremely limited use.

Moreover, all games perform most (or all) of their computation in 32b real numbers (float), because it is a lot faster and the precision is enough for the purpose.

Summed up: the benefits on native 64b are extremely small for a game. (With content creation tools the situation is different - 64b is useful here, because you frequently work with data larger than 4 GB).

Edit: moreover, there are downsides to 64b native: all your pointers are double in size, which usualy means memory consumption grows about 10-40 percent depending on how many pointers are stored by the application. Larger memory footprint also means reduced cache efficiency.

Good thing we already do have 64 bit support.

Myke quoted the lead programmer's explanation why BIS does not consider 64 bit executable necessary. If you disagree, you can use any one of the countless other threads where this was discussed.