NemesisoD

Realistic Wounding System [RWS]

This looks great and I think the quick check idea is bang on. In reality you can determine a lot more than you can in this game, I think the quick check (with the LOS check), assuming it gives you generics (and maybe an inaccuracy/error percentage) is a good way to cover the gap between game limitations and perceptions available in reality (eg, blood pools, not responding, obvious breaks etc)

With regard to the treatment/revive, is it possible to define the time it takes? You mentioned the 'death' countdown is modifiable but is there scope for a more "arcade" version and full realistic version? (ie. can you complete treatment in 30 seconds?)

Looking forward to a public test - I am keen to get this in missions on our server.

I'm lost I guess. So, the "Realistic" part of your title isn't really that if you're going for the "quick check." As a medic, yeah, I can take a fast look out the window of the ambulance and perhaps assume that the people laying out on the highway are "unconscious." But they can also be dead. I'm not following on what the premise is behind it all. In the CMS mod, people actually have to run up and check the airway, pulse, respirations and response level to determine what Triage priority they are. Even there, we can jump off the helo and say, "I have three people down," by seeing that they are laying in the dead prone animation or the unconscious animation set by BI. IMO, the quick check is a cheat. IRL, if you don't actually go and check each patient, you're not being a very good medic and not serving those in need properly. A huge dis-service to those we are there to protect and treat.

I disagree with the above - The quick check (as I understand anyway) doesnt tell you exactly what is wrong with them - just the basics that you may reasonably be able to determine in reality.

I find it a lot easier to tell in real life if someone is not conscious (unconscious or dead) or has a major injury (significant bleed, traumatic amputation, etc) than in this game... As long as the quick check only gives generic information I think it is good. Until graphics and in game perception match reality, we will need workarounds or will just not have the same level of awareness.

I see it as a limitation workaround (no different from having someone's name flash up when you look at them and to a lesser extent, something like shark tac HUD).

That said - if it is unerringly correct and detailed every time, I do agree with you.

@NemesisoD: thx for clearing it out. nice with the LOS check. Its a good idea to "quick" check it but is it really necessary? If you see already a buddy down, hmm... you see he is down. why would i need a windows that tells me he is down?

Yea - I guess ideally too it could be customisable (amount and accuracy/inaccuracy of information etc)

Numrollen - refer to above for my thoughts why... I think its a great idea

A small mod I made for myself (for arma 2 ace) added a similar feature but only to YOURSELF rather than other people. As checking other people is fairly easy due to the blood decals etc etc but if you have third person off(and even when it's on) it's hard to tell how badly hurt you yourself are, so I added a quick check that gave you a rough idea of how messed up you were and where (coloured coded where yellow meant significant damage and red meant critical)

The reason I mention this is because IMO this should be implemented as well as checking other people.

Is there planned to add medical station ?(a big med tent or building where you can finish the main treatment)

I saw in the screenshots that you can add bloodpacks, its quiet unrealisitc that someone carrys these arround in the field.

We are working on a variable which allows you to attach a "medical ability" to an object. But we are also working on medical facilities. You cannot use the bloodpack in the field, you need a medevac or a military hospital.

You will be able to disable quickcheck. Zodd got the point, quickcheck gives you only a generic information about the wounded.

There will be many options for missioncreators to customize RWS. You can define wether you need a medevac or if a medic is able to give a "magical" full heal in the field.

It is up to the missioncreator how realistic RWS will be.

A small mod I made for myself (for arma 2 ace) added a similar feature but only to YOURSELF rather than other people[...]

The reason I mention this is because IMO this should be implemented as well as checking other people.

A selfcheck is already implemented in RWS and the result you get depends on the medical training you had. A medic gets more information than a "normal" soldier.

Edited by NBRC_FOX

I am loving the work your team is putting into this idea and mod and our community can not wait to help test this and give feedback.

also with the rad and gas zones will you be adding gasmask and stuff to keep you safe?

Edited by Falcos

[...]We are working on Suits, gasmasks and a Geiger-Mueller counter. For Addon-makers we might make protection classes so you can add a specific protection-level to your addon, e.g. a gasmask protects you against some chemical warfare agents but not against radiation.

So, yes we are working on gasproofed equipment ;)

that sound brill defo looking forward to seeing your guys work man.

Edited by Falcos

Arma 3 has provided us with some lovely new wounded anims, and we're still using the default Arma2 BIS first aid module anims from 2009, broken necks and all.

Maybe it's time to use the new ones? They're much more realistic, other than that It's beautiful, very awesome to see a complex wounding system thanks a bunch guys!

Any way you might combine your ideas with the medical system in Americas Army 3. Would be nice if it was as detailed as the AA3 medical system. It also has the possibility of actually killing the player if the medic makes the wrong choice in treatment based on given symptoms. Here are some videos of how the system functions, I think a medical system like this combined with your ideas would be the best thing to happen to arma in a long time.

Videos Inside

In the actual game when you examine a wounded soldier you get a pop up with symptoms. When you select treat you get a radial wheel with all available forms of treatments. Obviously if you attempt to use a chest vale when not needed it will kill the wounded soldier or if you OD him on morphine and Epinephrine.

With your different zones of damage you can create things like sucking chest wound and a need to stabilize the player for casevac to the battalion aid station for full recovery or something thats flagged as a BAS like how you can flag objects to work as a medical tent in ACE. I know that the AA3 system is a bit too hardcore for most so maybe an easy system like ACE2 Wounds and have a additional hardcore module for mission makers who want full on realism like what you see in the videos. Just giving you some ideas to think about. I know allot of realism units would greatly appreciate something to this level of detail. Would be great for expanded use on persistent database missions and make use of the Golden hour rule.

As you can tell i cant wait for this mod. I really want a detailed medical system in arma.

Edited by Cytreen

cytreen that stuff look brill and yer am with you on that would be nice to see if you could try and do what he said with the system.

Arma 3 has provided us with some lovely new wounded anims, and we're still using the default Arma2 BIS first aid module anims from 2009, broken necks and all.

Maybe it's time to use the new ones?[...]

We are using animations of the animation viewer, atm i am not quite sure if these are the new ones you mentioned. But another nice feature is, when dragging a wounded, the body moves while being dragged. You are not having the standard "freeze in animation" position, known from other medical systems.

Any way you might combine your ideas with the medical system in Americas Army 3. Would be nice if it was as detailed as the AA3 medical system. It also has the possibility of actually killing the player if the medic makes the wrong choice in treatment based on given symptoms. Here are some videos of how the system functions, I think a medical system like this combined with your ideas would be the best thing to happen to arma in a long time.

At the moment we are not quite sure if we integrate symptoms like in AA3, but we will figure that one out. We are planning effects like overdose of medication and adverse effects of different treatments.

Will it run with Arma II as well?

This Addon will be Arma 3 only. Some scripting commands are not compatible with Arma 2. We also do not plan to make it Arma 2 compatible, sorry for that.

My guys and I are really looking forward to this one. The hitzones and variable injuries will be a major improvement on the ACE wounding system.

I'm lost I guess. So, the "Realistic" part of your title isn't really that if you're going for the "quick check." As a medic, yeah, I can take a fast look out the window of the ambulance and perhaps assume that the people laying out on the highway are "unconscious." But they can also be dead. I'm not following on what the premise is behind it all. In the CMS mod, people actually have to run up and check the airway, pulse, respirations and response level to determine what Triage priority they are. Even there, we can jump off the helo and say, "I have three people down," by seeing that they are laying in the dead prone animation or the unconscious animation set by BI. IMO, the quick check is a cheat. IRL, if you don't actually go and check each patient, you're not being a very good medic and not serving those in need properly. A huge dis-service to those we are there to protect and treat.

I agree with you there -- unless, like the other guy said, the level of wound graphics in ARMA3 (I haven't gotten my copy delivered yet so I don't know) is not detailed enough to allow visual estimates of the damage. I would prefer to do a check with my own eyes; for example, you could look for head trauma and listen for sounds of extreme pain. However, if that isn't possible then the Quick Check is a good idea to make up for it.

A "quick check" in my opinion is a check for all life-threats - bleeding, emergency fractures and other trauma that will or has 'more' of a potential to kill the patient. As opposed to a slower, full head-to-toe where you are feeling and taking your time around every nook and cranny looking for a range of potentials. I always thought it was more a primary survey application. On the other hand as Jeff says, visually looking at the patient and walking up to them can decipher and reduce the number of potentials.

There´s always a way through the middle.....

Watch and monitoring at the Patient simultaneausly by checking him of >SICK - ABCCDE< is a good way, I think.

As Rye said - evaluate the " more potential treat" for the Patient.

Nice would be some Hints, if the Patient is developing a shock or loosing consciousness.

Like in real life, you don´t have to monitor his face all the time - You get a clue (e.g. colour of Skin, breathing, sweating, flood of words, restless limbs...) when he´s getting unconscious and don´t have to check his parameters again.

This looks really good, nice one guys I am looking forward to the release.

Great addon guys, keep up the good work! It would be nice if you keep us up-to-date with weekly news or something like that.