tpM

Advanced Combat Sound Environment (A3) WiP Thread

Currently we are concentrating only on weapons and explosions.

My ears are crying for this mod.... hope to hear it on the battlefield soon.

Great work so far!

I love the JSRS mods both in Arma 2 and 3 so far for me one of the best sound mod available to enhance the sound part. However this one also sounds to be a nice addition, I like the firing sounds so far for guns a lot especially the ones in the forest but overall I like them all.

I hope you go for a complete modification, including detail environment like when you move around and when you hear the discharge gun mechanisms of your weapon in first person like in jsrs, of course with your own flavor :cool: ... Anyway it looks like it will be very difficult for me to choose one of both weapon mods as a favorite when you have such a complete sound modification in mind even so that I will not be able to pick one in the end :p

best of regards

Edited by LiquitHQ

...and when you hear the discharge gun mechanisms of your weapon in first person like in jsrs, of course with your own flavor :cool:

Hi,

These "mechanism sounds" is a difficult topic for me, because some say that the sounds of bolt and other moving parts are really prominent when you fire a weapon, but there are also quite a few people who say that you can't hear such sounds because the discharge is so loud that it basically "overloads" your senses (hearing) and you can't pick out such details. For creative and gameplay reasons however, I add mechanism sounds to 1st person firing, but it's subtle compared to what you can hear in JSRS.

Edited by tpM

The demo video says it all, it's going to be really nice, good work so far! My best wishes on it. :) BTW, are infantry walking, equipment, misc, etc. stuff going to be included in this mod?

Hi,

These "mechanism sounds" is a difficult topic for me, because some say that the sounds of bolt and other moving parts are really prominent when you fire a weapon, but there are also quite a few people who say that you can't hear such sounds because the discharge is so loud that it basically "overloads" your senses (hearing) and you can't pick out such details. For creative and gameplay reasons however, I add mechanism sounds to 1st person firing, but it's subtle compared to what you can hear in JSRS.

It really depends on the gun used, how you hold it, and your hearing if you can hear the mechanical sounds or not. YOur solution should be acceptable for everyone. Do you have plans to work on the vehicels when you finish with the weapons? Are vehicle weapons covered?

For creative and gameplay reasons however, I add mechanism sounds to 1st person firing, but it's subtle compared to what you can hear in JSRS.

Good enough for me :-) best of luck with the development for you and the team, I will keep my ears healthy for the release :p

For the love of everything that isn't a god, how could I have missed this whole thread and everything in it for about 2 months? I must pay attention better.

For the love of everything that isn't a god, how could I have missed this whole thread and everything in it for about 2 months? I must pay attention better.

You would have been better off not paying attention for another 2 months where it might be out or closer to being so :)

Hi,

The mechanism sound is actually really prominent when you're resting your cheek against the metal (aiming down sights) as you fire. It is so loud, that you will only hear the "bang" as an echo (because the mechanical sounds overload your hearing senses, as you said). If there is someone firing next to you, you will hear their gun discharge more than your own.

If you remove your cheek from the gun, you will no longer hear the mechanics.

I say this from my personal experience with Galil AR and AK4 (both are assault rifles) and KSP-58 (aka FN MAG, light machinegun).

The good thing about Arma3 is, that it already includes weapon mechanical sounds, that play at the same time as the normal weapon sounds - easy to adjust their characteristics.

The good thing about Arma3 is, that it already includes weapon mechanical sounds, that play at the same time as the normal weapon sounds - easy to adjust their characteristics.

Haha, well, I disabled those sounds to avoid playing 2 sounds per shot, so you won't reach your sample limit that quickly. :D

The balance must be very difficult to get right; would you say the balance between 'authenticity' and 'fun' is about 50/50, tpM?

Any tentative plans for further showcases videos of ACSE in action?

Keep up the good work.

Well, all I want to achieve regarding authenticity is to make weapons sound believable compared to their type ("class"). Giving them uniformity/consistency as assault rifles, batte rifles, MGs, SMGs etc AND overall as firearms, while also maintaining each weapon's uniqueness (so for example, two .45 handguns shouldn't sound the same, but still very similiar). Really hard to pull it off properly. Especially when you have situations like when you find one sample almost perfect with good balance of having a nice low end while keeping it crisp and clear, and then a person says that it's distorted, another comes in to say that it's too loud, a third one jumps in to say that it's really good BUT he was in XY army and it shouldn't sound like that, aw and then a fourth one comments that it's perfect and he doesn't want it to be changed... and this shit never ends. :'D

Video... well, I'm still polishing the sounds because I dont feel that I got them right yet. Maybe I'll post some little something sometimes soon.

Edited by tpM
authencity xD

This could very well be the best sound mod I've heard in ArmA!

Ha I can imagine that could be demotivating and cause a few days off now and again :P I wonder how much is 'psychological'. That is, if you hear the sound whilst immersed in a battle in-game, the imperfections/ qualities might not be so noticeably out of place. Given a sound on Windows Media Player, the psychological setup is all wrong for the experience, perhaps.

Honestly though, it sounds incredible to me (disclaimer: a civilian). I've always heard games designers say that they don't use real sounds because they just don't do the real thing justice, or that the real thing is underwhelming, so they hit a trash can with a baseball bat and record that instead. But having heard a few gunshots near and far I think you could get a good appreciation of the gravity of the sound (and feeling) produced, and ACSE is the first thing that really comes close to me, in more than one environment, with its variety allowing so much more. So thanks for your efforts.

Edited by SaBrE_UK

Seriously, you do a great work and dont try to please everyone. That will never work out.

You are God of your own mod.

I'd love to see your mod come to light soon.

This mod sounds good, the deep popcorn in the microwave sound you got going for fire fights in the distance = legit.

I hope the explosion sounds are deep and gut wrenching. I wanna feel the shockwave via ear canal. That deep low echo'ed in some reverb on just the lows, then merged with the default and slightly adjusted for the hi and mid. THOOOOM!

Love the sounds so far, looking forward to the release of this mod. Dont worry if not everybody is happy with it, cant please em all!

No more news ? :(

You just made baby Jesus cry! Shame on you.

No news = no news. You wait like the rest of us!

You wait like the rest of us!
Literally made me think of something along the lines of what Family Guy would say... or would be... "Talk to me when you done!" Thanks for the laugh man!

I hope the explosion sounds are deep and gut wrenching. I wanna feel the shockwave via ear canal. That deep low echo'ed in some reverb on just the lows, then merged with the default and slightly adjusted for the hi and mid. THOOOOM!

=== ^ ^ ^ This ^ ^ ^ ===