tpM

Advanced Combat Sound Environment (A3) WiP Thread

Hey,

Since it will be only for Arma 3, having a thread in this section is appropriate.

We are working on it for more than two and a half years now, but it's really complex stuff, so we are not completely there yet. It will be coming when it's done, hopefully sooner than you'd expect.

Current (working) features:

- Distance and environment specific weapon firing and grenade explosion sounds; 1st person, close, medium, far, farer (pop) * desert, woodland (terrains with lots of trees around), forest, urban, and interior spaces (+ seperate "clear" and "obstructed" variants of these simulating terrain and/or objects between you and the sound source.

- Different sound on firing last round from magazine (from certain weapons, like AR15 based firearms, SVD, etc).

- Different interior/exterior firing sounds for vehicle weapons.

- Sound for raising up the weapon for aiming (sights).

- Dynamic pitch shifting based on perspective (behind / next to / front of the muzzle).

FAQ:

Will it be compatible with other soundmods like SoS or JSRS?

No, ACSE is a sophisticated scripted soundengine, structured differently than any other SM. It has it's own sound library.

When it will be released?

When it's done.

When it will be done?

This year. Prolly Q1.

Will it affect performance?

Minimally if at all, though (I guess) it depends on what specification you'll running it on.

Demonstration:

(Please note that if you hear clipping or distortion in some of the sounds presented in this video, it's recording issue. It won't be like that ingame).

Edited by tpM
added FAQ

best sounds ever heard, so powerful, real and immersive! I have some questions. Is it cpu-heavy? Are you using in this video custom sounds or default sounds only acse-modified?

This sound mod will totally change the way we'll feel/play A3, thx for working on this great mod.

yes yes yes, omg yess! ;) Finally you are back, was following you since arma 2, when you started to work on it! Love distant filtering and forest echo! Damn!

Very cool. Loving how dynamic the sound is, really adds to the immersion. Was very impressed by the difference in sound when indoors or when standing behind a vehicle.

Arma 3 - sound simulator? ;)

You guy know how to make my pants all jizzy :eek:

Sorry, that usually never happens to me:o

Damn, having flashbacks watching that vid. The sound is pretty accurate.

What is the tradeoff for this awesomeness?

............looks like LordJarhead has a challenger now, i cant choose but i think this sounds a lot more realistic with the gunshots

I used to live about 1km from a shooting range in a woods. The longer range woods sounds are really accurate. Sounds just like home.

Thanks for the kind words.

best sounds ever heard, so powerful, real and immersive! I have some questions. Is it cpu-heavy? Are you using in this video custom sounds or default sounds only acse-modified?

Well, I don't have a very good computer by today's standards (Q9550@3.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 4850) but I didn't notice performance issues. I can imagine that battles where a thousand of AIs firing simultaneously might blow up your PC, but I guess you'd get similiar results with vanilla game too. :)

ACSE has its own custom sounds designed for specific situations.

What is the tradeoff for this awesomeness?

Long development time.

And if you have a good sound setup with volume turned way up, you might find some of the sounds really, well... annoying. You won't want to fire higher calibre weapons indoors, believe me. :D

ACSE is part of ACE?

Well, it's being made by me and some fellow ACE collegues, namely zGuba (basically he is the father of the ACSE engine), Rocko, ViperMaul, and our radio technician Mr. NouberNou. ;)

It's a standalone mod, but will also work with ACE, and for example, with earplugs in, you will only hear muffled sounds (it will be the same set of sounds that we have for obstructed source).

can this be used with speed of sound addon? that would be insane!

No, ACSE has it's own code with it's own sounds. It's working differently than other dynamic soundmods. Sure, you will able to use some vehicle or nature or whatever sound mod with it, but it covers weapons on it's own.

Edited by tpM
typo

Sounds good. :ok: Looking forward for the firste release of it :pet5:

This is the sound mod I've been waiting for can't wait for a release. Great attention to detail.

Hello,

how is it compatible with JSRS 2 ?

It does really seems like speed of sound addon ...

Thanks

I've been an avid fan of JSRS ever since it was released for A2 but tbh this looks like it could be the next best thing that has happened to arma, Sound is a Huge deal in this game because of the distances we fight and more often than not we dont actually see whats around us but have to rely on the audio cues.

I absolutely love how well this scales with the different environments and distances so I am looking forward to trying this.

Thank you so much.