Sign in to follow this  
dr_eyeball

Tactical Battlefield - Upcoming Release Announcement

We knew that the suppression effects screenshots / video were going to be a bit controversial until everyone sees it in action. It's not perfect but it works well and changes game play tactics for the better IMO. We can continue the suppression discussion when everyone has a chance to try it.

As for how I would react in real life, I believe that all modern militaries train their troops to return fire as quickly as possible in response to suppression fire. If you don't then you die.

Exactly! You can still return fire. You just won't be dead accurate. The problem is that a lot of people think "return fire as quickly as possible" means grabbing your scope, looking where the fire comes from, aiming and trying to make some quick headshots. A lot of players simply don't respond to suppressing fire without any forced effect. I've had plenty of moments since we added suppression where I was taking fire, quickly returned fire so I could get away a bit more easily. Without suppressing fire my quick return fire would be useless. With suppression quick return fire buys me some extra time to get into cover. I'm usually the one that goes crazy when people talk about "realism", but having a forced effect makes people respond to incoming fire in a more realistic way.

Suppressing fire effects really aren't suited for a lot of modes, but it feels very in line with the rest of TacBF.

@Chev and Hurtz. Does that signature really need to be so massive? ;)

Exactly! You can still return fire. You just won't be dead accurate. The problem is that a lot of people think "return fire as quickly as possible" means grabbing your scope, looking where the fire comes from, aiming and trying to make some quick headshots. A lot of players simply don't respond to suppressing fire without any forced effect. I've had plenty of moments since we added suppression where I was taking fire, quickly returned fire so I could get away a bit more easily. Without suppressing fire my quick return fire would be useless. With suppression quick return fire buys me some extra time to get into cover. I'm usually the one that goes crazy when people talk about "realism", but having a forced effect makes people respond to incoming fire in a more realistic way.

Suppressing fire effects really aren't suited for a lot of modes, but it feels very in line with the rest of TacBF.

@Chev and Hurtz. Does that signature really need to be so massive? ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Having been in combat myself I know it is nearly impossible to effectively return fire when your being engaged first. You have to do any or a combination of things before you can return effective fire (break contact, find cover, use smoke, suppress back or another friendly element suppress) THEN you can return effective fire.

Suppressing the enemy is what almost all battle drills are focused around. To simply not include any type of suppression system kills any simulation experience. This should also add to force some more teamwork and coordination between friendly elements. More benefit for support by fire and overwatch positions.

This already works as intended in PR:BF2 by forcing a change of gameplay. I think the system has been proven successful.

It forces you to get to cover and promotes teamwork and communication.

With suppression quick return fire buys me some extra time to get into cover.

Well I was always assuming getting to cover would be the first thing you do, before even returning fire, unless there is no cover to get to. If you don't get to cover you should be dead (I'm assuming that video was a set up and not actual gameplay, as there was no excuse for not killing you in that situation). Again, I have very little idea how the system works yet, but my concern was more of what happens after you get to cover, because if I can't shoot back at that point then my team and I are just waiting to be killed. I've played games with a screen blur suppression effect before, and it rather than force me into cover it usually forces me to try and move as quickly as possible so I can see again. Anyway, suppression effects are really tricky to get right, and I guess we'll have a better idea how it works on Friday.

I believe that all modern militaries train their troops to return fire as quickly as possible in response to suppression fire.
Well I was always assuming getting to cover would be the first thing you do, before even returning fire, unless there is no cover to get to. If you don't get to cover you should be dead (I'm assuming that video was a set up and not actual gameplay, as there was no excuse for not killing you in that situation).

Make your mind up mate :), in regards to moving and shooting yes you would move and shoot while getting into cover (this means move, stop, shoot, move), I think as with all suppression effects you've got to compare it to the game we are playing.

Because its Arma we feel that the level of suppression should be representative of the level of gameplay, I think currently everything from TacBF will be under review from the players, for me I think Suppression will be tweaked as time goes by.

But please don't assume anything, any suggestions on the TB forum will be heavily scrutinized by everyone, so it will be easy for us to spot assumptions ;).

I think from that video the dev team have got it very right. Standard SOP in open ground is to dash forward to cover, roll on the floor (so even if they saw you drop they won't necessarily be able to hit you still), then put rapid fire into the enemy position. The Section then moves as two fire teams by bounding and covering each other towards the nearest piece of cover, from there you can get proper eyes on the enemy and put out appropriate fire. Fire and Manoeuvre is the act of covering each other in bounds. Against human players (with no suppression) this has limited effect, as they'll simply find a small hole to fire out of. However, with the TacBaf Suppression, it appears if you shoot a wall and someone is behind it, they'll get the suppression effect. And when too many rounds are coming in on their position, the worse the suppression gets, and you are forced to get out of that piece of cover.

This suppression will make Reaction to Effective Enemy Fire very interesting indeed, as you won't be able to 'snipe' with your standard scope, instead it really will be 'general fire into the enemy's position'. It's looking absolutely ace.

gufhgdughrdiugrdhgiu YABADABADOOOOOO excited to play with this mate.

will there be official servers? if so, how many?

can we host ours? by simply clicking HOST server

Soon enough we will know how it turns out. Worst case scenario it will be tweaked.

This is fantastic, this reminds me the dear old BF2 mod project reality but with Arma touch which is the best of the best, can't wait to install this and play

gufhgdughrdiugrdhgiu YABADABADOOOOOO excited to play with this mate.

We will have two of our own servers up and several communities have already applied to setup their own official server. Official servers are servers that will be listed on our forum and can use a official server tag. This means the server is using the settings and mods that we have approved.

Yes and no. Yes people can setup their own unofficial server and do what they want mod wise, if they dont want to become part of the official server list. You can not setup a server by pressing the host button because the mod requires certain config changes to work. Also the mod isn't really made for small scale server, so it might not even run properly considering most mission require at least 24+ player and perhaps non-dedicated server wont be up to that task, but im not a expert on server so i could be wrong.

We will have two of our own servers up and several communities have already applied to setup their own official server. Official servers are servers that will be listed on our forum and can use a official server tag. This means the server is using the settings and mods that we have approved.

Yes and no. Yes people can setup their own unofficial server and do what they want mod wise, if they dont want to become part of the official server list. You can not setup a server by pressing the host button because the mod requires certain config changes to work. Also the mod isn't really made for small scale server, so it might not even run properly considering most mission require at least 24+ player and perhaps non-dedicated server wont be up to that task, but im not a expert on server so i could be wrong.

thanks for answering, ill stick with the official servers.

i use PWS so hopefully when sickboy gets in contact a modset can be released and be able to join servers through pws.

i also have a little suggestion..

counter-strike style gameplay?

- money

- buy weapons

- stay dead till round ends etc...

- restriction from going outside of map zone.

Conquest style gameplay

- each side has number of tickets

- first to deplete other sides tickets wins etc.

thanks for answering, ill stick with the official servers.

i use PWS so hopefully when sickboy gets in contact a modset can be released and be able to join servers through pws.

i also have a little suggestion..

- money

- buy weapons

- stay dead till round ends etc...

- restriction from going outside of map zone.

Conquest style gameplay

- each side has number of tickets

- first to deplete other sides tickets wins etc.

I dont see that happening. Its not the gameplay we had planned. But hey, who knows what sort of game modes we will make in the future.

Conquest style gameplay

That is already in, only we call it (Assault and Secure) and (Attack and Defend). Its practically the same as conquest except for how zones work. In Conquest as you know it in Battlefield games you could take over any zone any time. Our zones are linked to create a front line. Also i believe you can spawn on zones in Conquest and that is not possible here. Here you have to take a FO(Forward Outpost) crate from main base and transport it were ever you want it setup and people can then spawn on it.

Edited by Ch3v4l13r

Do you have a game manual with the basic game mechanics and keys?

I dont see that happening. Its not the gameplay we had planned. But hey, who knows what sort of game modes we will make in the future.

Conquest style gameplay

That is already in, only we call it (Assault and Secure) and (Attack and Defend). Its practically the same as conquest except for how zones work. In Conquest as you know it in Battlefield games you could take over any zone any time. Our zones are linked to create a front line. Also i believe you can spawn on zones in Conquest and that is not possible here. Here you have to take a FO(Forward Outpost) crate from main base and transport it were ever you want it setup and people can then spawn on it.

no harm in asking right :)

sounds brilliant cant wait to try some decent TvT

one thing i'd like to see taken from counter strike though would be a bomb place or defuse game mode. something more creative than just capping places. or maybe something about a truck one team has to retrieve/steal. arma offers so many possibilities. and as i said before. some role based stuff like VIP and hostage missions would also be nice. or just in general something that moves the point of interest instead of having it set. dunno. just some thoughts i had.

one thing i'd like to see taken from counter strike though would be a bomb place or defuse game mode. something more creative than just capping places. or maybe something about a truck one team has to retrieve/steal. arma offers so many possibilities. and as i said before. some role based stuff like VIP and hostage missions would also be nice. or just in general something that moves the point of interest instead of having it set. dunno. just some thoughts i had.

At least there's S&D where you need to find the cache(s) or whatever the target(s) is/are. I remember that kind of game mod from PR:A2 in Zargabad which was my favorite. I think we will see a similar mode in this.

VIP secure sounds cool if the AI doesn't screw up :P

yes a counter strike hostage rescue game mode but different to cs maybe

It would be interesting to see a gamemode where players were the hostages.

VIP secure sounds cool if the AI doesn't screw up :P

not AI! one player is the VIP. there were awesome missions like that in alpha but people just stopped hosting them. not sure about players being hostages since it would easily drift into silly RP stuff. not saying RP is silly but someone talking shit all mission can be funny but depending on the person also very annoying.

yea just something objective based in general i guess. it makes it more interesting than just fighting for a general area.

these are just ideas though. don't want to sound like i'm not excited for what we will get initially and or like i'm requesting anything. really curious how S&D will turn out. can't remember playing that in arma 2 PR.

S&D is still a WIP but the mode is basically search and destroy caches where one team defends the cache and the other has to destroy it. Blufor will need to gather intel to get the cache locations. S&D it is in the Public Release but the missions have not been thoroughly tested. It's hard to test these large missions with only 40 beta testers. The mechanics are there and it's a hell of a lot of fun. There are still many features that haven't been shown in the screenshots so you guys are going to have a treat. Dr_Eyeball, TacBF Team and the Contributers have done an awesome job putting this all together. There are also plans to add other game modes in the near future. Hostages and VIP's maybe, AI I don't think so.

Reminder that the release date is Friday December 6th. Come on over to www.tacticalbattlefield.net and join the discussion.

Edited by Hurtz72

Do you have a game manual with the basic game mechanics and keys?

Hi mate,

There is an in-game 'manual' that covers basic game mechanics and keys. At the beginning the mod also actively prompts you in-game about setting up some of the initial important keys.

Hope to see you there :)

Warm regards,

Swedge