Sign in to follow this  
dr_eyeball

Tactical Battlefield - Upcoming Release Announcement

sounds like something that could help arma3 multiplayer a ton. awesome initaive guys!

THIS LOOKS INCREDIBLE! Much more so than what I thought it would be :) I'll be on the 12th TS at 21:00 Friday to get the download link and get involved straight away!

For all those bitching about a lack of good PvP in ARMA, make sure to get your ass into a server next Friday and show your support!

Can't wait!

For all those bitching about a lack of good PvP in ARMA, make sure to get your ass into a server next Friday and show your support!

Can't wait!

This. And everyday after that.

:coop::shoot::soldier::uzi::638::681:

Can't wait!

yes sir! can't wait to call hacks on anyone who dares to kill me ;)

i particularily like that part that sounds like insurgency (S&D). good to see this won't be just AAS and that's it. have you thought about adding something like a "kill the VIP" mode or something to get even more team play going? or are there any other more role based modes planned? hostage rescue or something? just curious.

Seeing we already expected to have the suppression screenshot to kick up some dust, here is a video of the effect:

Can't wait for this release.

The key in its longevity will come in what servers host it and the organization of us players to organize squads that work together in game. If its just a bunch of rambos running around it will just turn into one of their other PvP game modes.

about VTS_Ballistic, maybe i've got older version, but i've been playign a lot with this addon, what adds wind detection, but somehow it had some gravity problems, like granades were often flying very long trajectory, like they were a tennisball or something. If it's in module, you can disable it, then thats not a prob.

---------- Post added at 04:54 ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 ----------

Seeing we already expected to have the suppression screenshot to kick up some dust, here is a video of the effect:

nice, that seem to do the job it should.

I know suppression effects are a controversial topic, but that effect in particular seems really extreme. I can't see how it would be at all possible to have a firefight with that much blur. I hope you'll consider toning it down, as my suspicion is that it will lead to a situation in which whoever fires the first shot will win the engagement, regardless of how accurate they were.

I know suppression effects are a controversial topic, but that effect in particular seems really extreme. I can't see how it would be at all possible to have a firefight with that much blur. I hope you'll consider toning it down, as my suspicion is that it will lead to a situation in which whoever fires the first shot will win the engagement, regardless of how accurate they were.

or it shows, that you have to seek cover immedetly!

Yeah, but within like 2 shots the screen was so blurred you couldn't see anything. To be honest, if we are going to have suppression effects, I'd prefer the Arma 2 system of inducing aim shake, and it would be better if it was based on volume of fire. Obviously I have very little idea of the precise nature of the suppression effects in this addon, but my initial impression was that it seems a little bit unreasonable that one shooter can put someone else so thoroughly out of commission that quickly, without landing a single shot.

well maybe your right, whati imagine, when your on the ground asphalt or beton, or near stone/cement wall, and bulets hit them close to your face, you get small shrapnells and dust from the bullets and material, hiting at it nearby, so it theoreticaly affects your vision. No idea from just flying bullet nearby. So maybe blured vision could be more "realistic" applied only in that situation.

Sounds great! Looking forward to test it and hope to see more of this and less of Wastetime servers.

/KC

The thing is, you cannot achieve proper suppression effect in game. You just don't get the same level of self preservation that you do in real life. So we have to compromise.

Try to remember a moment in your life when you were the most scared or spooked you have ever been. Now imagine that in that moment, you were given a rifle and a half concealed target 100 meters away. Would you be able to hit it in 1,5 seconds?

Now compare this solution, does it achieve the same thing ? Is it still not a working solution?

Oh I've been waiting for this since PR:A2 died out! Finally teamwork oriented PVP!

It's so nice to see a suppression system, since it completely changes the gameplay and stops a lot of rambo'ing. Good work!

And and and ... Not more "everyone has a sniper/scope/NVS" PVP! Man this is going to be a good Christmas after all!

about VTS_Ballistic, maybe i've got older version, but i've been playign a lot with this addon, what adds wind detection, but somehow it had some gravity problems, like granades were often flying very long trajectory, like they were a tennisball or something. If it's in module, you can disable it, then thats not a prob.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16371

Basically, every frame on which you setVelocity a grenade makes the engine ignore any other simulation on that grenade. When I tried to modify the mod to actually simulate wind on every frame instead of using the inconsistent scripting scheduler to calculate simulation steps, grenades would just fly straight and I had to disable wind for grenades completely.

I really hope they use my modified version, which has:

1. Specific config coefficients for each bullet (which can later be adjusted if we have more RL data, as I only have RL data for M24, and the rest are scaled off of it using very basic and assumption-heavy physics/geometry), replacing the original values in the mod which have hardly anything to do with the bullet type - ArmA configs have no useful values for wind calculations (even those that seem like they should be useful, are in fact inconsistent for any realistic purpose), which is actually why the original mod maker abandoned the mod.

2. Initialize using CBA XEH rather than running a loop over all units every 10 seconds.

3. Does not broadcast code across the netwrok to every client and JIP client. Of course this does mean everyone need the mod so it must be integrated into TacBF if it was to be used (not sure if VTS wind is actually integrated or just on the list of mods you should be running).

4. Simulates wind on every frame, rather than spawning a loop that may or may not run every 0.05 seconds depending on the ArmA 3 script scheduler.

5. Neglects elements of the wind vector that are parallel to the velocity of the bullet, as that's how it is in real life - Forward/Rear wind are negligible compared to the projectile's speed and the coefficient would have been different anyway. Real life snipers completely ignore wind from front/rear.

6. Works for all weapons and vehicles (mortars too!). Not just player fired weapons. Can be easily adjusted to only work for the player and the player's vehicle if the wind simulation proves too performance-expensive in certain situations, such as lots of AA guns firing at the same time. However currently even tracers fired by friendly units will show wind effects. Note that even when wind is not simulated on another unit's projectile, you will still see the correct impact point as it is synchronized across the network.

7. Uses pure game wind instead of recording wind into a variable and then using that. It is now the mission's (and BIS's) job to synchronize wind across clients. This makes sure that every client will see wind effects depending on the wind he actually sees, instead of the original mod allowing there to be a difference between the wind you actually see and the wind effects on your projectiles.

If you dig enough on the TacBF forum you can find the test version for download. If there is enough demand I'll make an official separate release for those who wish to use it outside of TacBF.

As for whether this will be used in TacBF or not, is now purely up to the TacBF developers. They have full permissions to use it as they see fit, and in fact the only reason I made it was so they don't have to use the unfinished VTS wind mod.

Yeah, but within like 2 shots the screen was so blurred you couldn't see anything. To be honest, if we are going to have suppression effects, I'd prefer the Arma 2 system of inducing aim shake, and it would be better if it was based on volume of fire. Obviously I have very little idea of the precise nature of the suppression effects in this addon, but my initial impression was that it seems a little bit unreasonable that one shooter can put someone else so thoroughly out of commission that quickly, without landing a single shot.

It is based on volume of fire. Suppression builds up with more rounds coming in. For me I could still kill the guy shooting at me, and that was with an MG firing full auto. I think what you thought was 2 bullets was more like 10 or more already and even then the suppression wasn't all that much. Also the closer you fire the more suppression will be applied. It's not that you can just spray at someone without aiming and ruin his day. Anyway, all of the values can be changed very easily so if it proves to be too much with higher player counts we can adjust it if needed.

Keep in mind that this is a game and you can't force the real idea of fear on someone easily. I'm also not a huge fan of the dynamic blur I have to use, but radial blur is an effect that you can turn off easily. Seeing it's a PvP mod, most people will have their radial blur turned off. I haven't found a way to turn off Dynamic Blur yet which is very important. We're still looking into forcing players to have radial blur, but no luck. The thing is that it's still very easy to aim with most camshake. We have some control of the parameters. The two parameters that would make aiming very hard, cause bullets to not hit where you're aiming. That gives us the battlefield style suppression where suddenly your gun now longer works properly, because the player feels fear and is something we do not want. It also helps to get players into cover and to give them that idea that they're getting fired on, but can't instantly place the exact location of the enemy.

Trust me, it was quite hard to come up with something that would keep most players happy and have the effect that we would like. This creates a new tactic: Effective suppressing fire. Creates some chaos for the player, allows them to get to cover quick (Suppression resets your fatigue back to 0, so if you weren't able to sprint anymore the 'adrenaline' rush gives you some extra sprint), makes it harder to take off precise shots while getting shot at and works the same for every player (Not based on graphic settings or anything).

The exact values might have to be changed, but we can only figure that out if we get more players to test with.

Thanks Galzohar for looking into the wind issue and developing this script. We will seriously consider this for TacBF in the coming weeks. When you first showed me what you were working on it was just too close to introduce something new with the Dec 6th deadline we had for ourselves to release TacBF. Remember that TacBF is still open beta at this point and we are open to suggestions and contributions from the community to make it better.

The thing is, you cannot achieve proper suppression effect in game. You just don't get the same level of self preservation that you do in real life. So we have to compromise.

Try to remember a moment in your life when you were the most scared or spooked you have ever been. Now imagine that in that moment, you were given a rifle and a half concealed target 100 meters away. Would you be able to hit it in 1,5 seconds?

Now compare this solution, does it achieve the same thing ? Is it still not a working solution?

Well, I didn't say remove the suppression effect altogether, since the developers clearly want it in there. I said maybe tone down the screen blur. If you want to simulate dust and shrapnel from bullet impacts, you can just modify the bullet impact particle effects to do that. As for how I would react in real life, I believe that all modern militaries train their troops to return fire as quickly as possible in response to suppression fire. If you don't then you die.

Edit:

OK, but dont you think you should wait two days and play the mod first before saying that.

Yeah, that's why I said that I can't know exactly how it was implemented yet, and that it was just my initial impression. Thanks for being receptive to feedback and not telling me to get lost and stuff.

Edited by roshnak

OK, but dont you think you should wait two days and play the mod first before saying that. Its good that you are here and giving your opinion but i dont believe the screenshot and the video can give a clear enough picture of how the suppression will impact the game. But i will guarantee you that we will take in all suggestions on this and other stuff but only ones people have actually played the mod and have seen it work for themselves.