Sign in to follow this  
Tisor

Rotatory Beacon Lights effects

Hi all.

Back working on FFAA Mod I come to this doubt.

I'm planning to add to the VAMTAC Ambulance and UME versions a real rotatory style beacon lights.

You can see a video of the real life thingy here:

My doubt is if this effect can be really done in ArmA3. I supposed it is because I saw a video from a RPG mod with a lightbar similar to this one.

The main thing is; how can I make a directional light source come out from a point, without using the reflectors class in the config.cpp (As this is used for the headlights when I press L, and I don't want to go all around with the lightbar on everytime).

Hope someone can help us.

Regards.

Up! Now one get any clue on this?

Well, according to this thread ( http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?155462-Reflector-lights/page2 ) "If you want to have blinking reflectors, you could probably do it by running a script to periodically setHit it form 0 to 1 and back (destroying the light and mending it again). But if you want to have a blinking all-direction light, I'd just use MarkerLights instead."

So, you should be able to script a solution while using reflectors that can be based on event handlers...I think. I'm not a pro and am just learning this stuff myself.

Abs

Mmm got the point for taht for blinking lights, but I don't know how to apply it to rotatory ones :S

Well, the light will be pointing in a direction, right? Try animating the light so that it rotates first. Once you have that, work on destroying the lights. I'm pretty sure the process will work (after all, planes have lights on their landing gear that is then animated when the gear folds), but I don't know how to actually implement it myself yet.

Abs

Oh! Got the idea. Will give it a try tonight.

see the Beacon article in wiki - there is a solution on UserActions with periodicaly unhiding part of emmissive light in a model: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Cars_Config_Guidlines#Reflectors.2C_markerlights_and_beacons

I don't want a emissive light but a directional light source, like the front lights. For that we use hidden selections on lightbars or blinkers, but the lights I want to make here are rotating a light flash around.

I don't want a emissive light but a directional light source, like the front lights. For that we use hidden selections on lightbars or blinkers, but the lights I want to make here are rotating a light flash around.

You could ask here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?131825-Skype-groups-amp-other-contact-groups&p=2101700&viewfull=1#post2101700

try taking a look at the lighthouse config, that seems to do a pretty good job of it. although It might be different with a smaller light source