Sign in to follow this  
krazikilla

Sniping impossible since the 2nd last patch?

Wonder who some people are...

Might want to consider being a bit more clear in your OPs/comments if you don't want everything to get sidetracked and your views to be misinterpreted. Took you what, 23 posts to correct everyone? You wonder why a bunch of people "trolled" you when it seemed to everyone you were making a really odious point about sniping at 2km...

Ok you got me wrong, its also a totally strange weapon sway on not so long range shooting. Just on long range you can see it far better.

Its not just the normal weapon sway which should be quite fluid actually, but it is jumpy and stuttering. I am pretty sure that this is a bug actually. can somone confirm that? For me and 2 mates its actually the same.

IF this bold line is not so easy to understand for some, i feel very sorry. was actually my 2nd post.

Over and out.

I totally agree OP's view, the aiming sway is totally overdone by BIS, so I personally made a mod to decrease it to half, then long distance sniping became interesting. The swaying feature is related with the parameter: aimPrecision.

And anyway, this issue, as progamer said, already got fixed with the new stamina system. So stop defending bugs, omg xD

No its not. The sway we have in stable branch now is the new sway that was introduced in dev branch with the new fatigue system. They held back on the fatigue but not on the sway. This sway is here to stay. 99% sure of that.

I try repeating the steps in the OP and I must say I don't see the problem. Aiming at a pop up target from 1.5km away while prone and holding breath is very very easy - like 90% hits.

With higher magnification and range your aim is going to appear less smooth and more shaky because the optics and distance magnifies those minute, involuntary muscle twitches everyone has. This feature is not unrealistic and I personally hope its here to stay. Its already far to easy to use the sniper rifles/high magnification.

Bipods would always be an improvement though.

No its not. The sway we have in stable branch now is the new sway that was introduced in dev branch with the new fatigue system. They held back on the fatigue but not on the sway. This sway is here to stay. 99% sure of that.

If you would at least be able to read the TOPIC! or just parts of the 1st post (the 1st line would be enough), then you would clearly see that i wrote "2nd last patch" - means it was a patch where the new fatigue system was not even born in dev-branch yet. Reading? Anyone??

I don't see the problem, without a bipod the aim should be jittery when engaging at the distances of over 1.5km.

I emptied a whole magazine to a popup target 1500 meters out and hit every time, at 2km I missed twice.

Sniping surely isn't impossible, more like too easy, as there's no wind affecting the bullet, but that's another story.

Yes, sniping should be harder. But it should be harder with realistic featuers, like wind (direction and strenght), air density, earth rotation and elevation, but NOT by unrealistic high and bugged weaponsway.

As i said (and now the ability to read comes handy again):

try aiming at a HUGE radar dome 600 meters away, center ur zoomed aimcross in the middle of it and watch the sway goin high up in the air, coming back somehow, stuttering and what not. This neither realistic nor wanted and BIS already fixed it within the new fatigue system (which is currently not avaliable, also not on DEV-Branch). What is so hard to understand about this? :(

All of you are missing an important point.

Yes a 2km shot IRL would be recordworthy. Why? Because there is WIND and all kinds of other stuff that affect the bullet. We have none! of that in A3. The bullet will fly perfectly straight only affected by Bullet drop. It is extremely easy to hit somebody with a sniper rifle in A3. We need wind in this game.

Yes, sniping should be harder. But it should be harder with realistic featuers, like wind (direction and strenght), air density, earth rotation and elevation, but NOT by unrealistic high and bugged weaponsway.

As i said (and now the ability to read comes handy again):

try aiming at a HUGE radar dome 600 meters away, center ur zoomed aimcross in the middle of it and watch the sway goin high up in the air, coming back somehow, stuttering and what not. This neither realistic nor wanted and BIS already fixed it within the new fatigue system (which is currently not avaliable, also not on DEV-Branch). What is so hard to understand about this? :(

You haven't used a high magnification scope IRL, have you?

If you would at least be able to read the TOPIC! or just parts of the 1st post (the 1st line would be enough), then you would clearly see that i wrote "2nd last patch" - means it was a patch where the new fatigue system was not even born in dev-branch yet. Reading? Anyone??

I am sorry man but I don't understand. If you are reading my posts, (in which I have repeated myself on multiple occasions) I am saying that what is in stable branch currently is the weapon sway that progamer is talking about. It has been changed in stable since the 2nd last patch you are talking about. So make up your mind, are you complaining about the current weapon sway in the stable branch or some previous iteration of it that is no longer and use (and thus totally irrelevant and pointless to discuss.)

I have read your original post multiple times before and after you have edited as well as the rest of the thread and all I see is you blatantly ignoring the valid points that people have made for why the jerky sway at such extreme ranges is realistic. If there was someone not reading or at the very least acknowledging other peoples posts it is you my friend.

realistic nor wanted and BIS already fixed it within the new fatigue system (which is currently not avaliable, also not on DEV-Branch). What is so hard to understand about this?

No! They didn't! This is what I am trying to tell you.

Ok i give up :)

Maybe Progamer can state it more clear then i am capable of.

Have fun doing whatever you want in this already (for me) solved thread.

You haven't used a high magnification scope IRL, have you?

Actually, i did.

Edited by KrAziKilla

Ok i give up :)

Maybe Progamer can state it more clear then i am capable of.

Have fun doing whatever you want in this already (for me) solved thread.

Did anyone in this thread mention this bug? http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16166

/But I don't have any problems hitting in dev branch. I don't see much sway when holding breath.

//Just tested in stable and yes there's weird bumby sway + the bug above which makes the hitting literally impossible because the bullet disappears in the air :D

Edited by St. Jimmy

Actually, i did.

Then you should be familiar with the jittering, which is caused by muscle tension and explained by -Coulum- in post #14

@KrA

You really need to work on clearly communicating things. Your first line mentioned the difficulty of long-range sniping. Then you mention shooting at 2km. Even now with the edit you've mentioned 1.5km, which is still ridiculously far, which leads me to believe that I was actually right and you are complaining specifically about long-range sniping being too difficult due to sway, in which case my prior comments stand.

I thought I was wrong and you were complaining about some sway bug, but now I'm pretty sure I was right and you were complaining about sway making extreme-long-range sniping too difficult, which it should be. And if we don't have all these other things factored in (wind particularly), then we need that sway. Fact is, right now sniping's too easy, and just about any player can load up with a super-weapon and annihilate 50 AI from a good perch without issues. It's a gameplay issue more than anything. Easy sniping is fing boring as hell, and it makes games boring as hell when 2/3rds of the players want to do that instead of something slightly exciting.

Without weapon sway, sniping was way too easy in ArmA 2. All you needed to know was "bullet drop" and you would hit the target.

Yes, it is more frustrating in ArmA 3. Even though the rifles zero to much farther ranges, it is harder to hit people at those ranges. In ArmA 2 just place crosshairs on target and instant hit. In a couple instances I even hit (although not killed) players at over 1500 meters with an M24 because the bullet was almost perfectly accurate in the vertical plane, no wind, no loss of stability at subsonic speeds, etc :j:

However, I preferred the ACE2 system with working bipods and much more precise elevation and wind adjustment.

Edited by Goose

Even with wind sniping is pretty easy as shown in ace 2. I know ace couldn't implement it perfectly realistically but Basically wind just meant a couple extra clicks. After that it was just a matter of placing the cross hair on target. There needs to be some sway or some other form of weapon inaccuracy that the player is able to counter to be successful. It should not be so easy to quickly drop and snipe from 700m+ as it is now. And it should not be a common skill for people to snipe things at 1500km.

Just my opinion of course, but it is necessary for more realistic scenerios.