Sign in to follow this  
krazikilla

Sniping impossible since the 2nd last patch?

Just curious if you feel the same but since 2 patches, long range sniping nearly got impossible for me.

The weapon sway during aiming is just ridiculously high and jumpy.

Try it out:

- get a lynx and a nice SOS scope

- lie down, be totally relaxed

- aim at a atatic long range target (around 2km) *EDIT* OKOK SORRY, try 1.5 KM its enough.

- right mouse to hold breath

- have fun hitting it

Even if you hold right mouse button, which should actualy decrease the sway for a few seconds (holding breath) its just still totally jumpy.

I am not talkin here about the normal sway, which always was fine, but something big changed here.

For me its especially sad, because since the latest patch my fps went down to around 20, nvm what i change in config. So the only thing i can actually do is sniping, or driving vehicles.

Ye, but even i love sniping in this series since operation flashpoint, arma, arma2, arma3 (until the 2nd last patch), looks like i suddenly cannot do it anymore.

Edited by KrAziKilla

That's pretty realistic, really. 2km is very very long range. Though they should probably implement bipods. For now you can use a bipod mod.

What we need related with aiming are two things:

- Functional bipods and weapon resting. They're both different and important.

- A script command to tweak a global multiplier for sway. Like setUnitRecoilCoefficient does for the recoil.

Ok you got me wrong, its also a totally strange weapon sway on not so long range shooting. Just on long range you can see it far better.

Its not just the normal weapon sway which should be quite fluid actually, but it is jumpy and stuttering. I am pretty sure that this is a bug actually. can somone confirm that? For me and 2 mates its actually the same.

Until Bis gets the sway sorted out and the bipods working, you can use this: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20816

to stabilize your gun and eliminate most if not all the sway with it, you can practically rest your weapon on just about everything except water ;)

works with every gun.

Until Bis gets the sway sorted out and the bipods working, you can use this: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20816

to stabilize your gun and eliminate most if not all the sway with it, you can practically rest your weapon on just about everything except water ;)

works with every gun.

Thanks, i know this awesome addon, unfortunatly i love to play on big public PVP servers which doesnt allow any addons :)

I like it. You gotta think, at such extreme ranges and magnification, every tiny, little, miniscule, muscle tremor muscle tremor is going to throw off your aim. I think it is quite realistic... we just need bipods as already mentioned.

Without trying to be rude; I feel that sniping in ARMA3 is extremely boring. It is as easy as a point-and-click adventure game. Of course I'm talking about pvp. I find it extremely un-interesting when everyone grabs the one-hit-kill .408 and .50 then sprints around with the things and almost never miss while standing or crouching. Which would be pretty much impossible for a human to pull off. I digress.

Without trying to be rude; I feel that sniping in ARMA3 is extremely boring. It is as easy as a point-and-click adventure game. Of course I'm talking about pvp. I find it extremely un-interesting when everyone grabs the one-hit-kill .408 and .50 then sprints around with the things and almost never miss while standing or crouching. Which would be pretty much impossible for a human to pull off. I digress.

Exactly. Everyone whining about sway just wants an easier game. You have incredible problems sniping at 2km? Good.

Exactly. Everyone whining about sway just wants an easier game. You have incredible problems sniping at 2km? Good.

You ever tryed it? Try it out and see how natural the sway feels..NOT. sway is good and fine and i am ALL for realism, but for sure a real sway isnt jumpy nor stuttering. Now try it out before u post again.

And as i already stated before its not only on this long range! just u see it better there. Why u even reply if u dont read the posts??

You ever tryed it? Try it out and see how natural the sway feels..NOT. sway is good and fine and i am ALL for realism, but for sure a real sway isnt jumpy nor stuttering. Now try it out before u post again.

And as i already stated before its not only on this long range! just u see it better there. Why u even reply if u dont read the posts??

I've tried it. And what you describe has everything to do with range; at that distance magnification is so affected by micro-movements of muscles that stuttering is very possible.

I've tried it. And what you describe has everything to do with range; at that distance magnification is so affected by micro-movements of muscles that stuttering is very possible.

The sway was fixed with the new fatigue, but it was pulled out right before the latest update to be refined more. But to give you an idea of how it looks, look at VBS2.

The sway was fixed with the new fatigue, but it was pulled out right before the latest update to be refined more. But to give you an idea of how it looks, look at VBS2.

Perfect, thanks. Knew it must have been a bug or some unwanted thing.

No idea why some people still defend this total mess and call it realism xD

And as i already stated before its not only on this long range! just u see it better there. W

why u even reply if u dont read the posts??

Definitely tried it. In fact this jittery shake wasn't just introduced with the latest patch - if anything its less of an effect than it was prior. But the fact is that this its actually quite forgiving compared to reality. Imagine: a small twitch of the arm by 1/10th of a milimetre can transfer to a muzzle deviation of 1mm. And at 2km, that 1 mm off will convert to up to four metres off target. Right now its pretty simply to keep aim within 1 metre of the target at these ranges while steadying your aim. In reality every little twitch you have would result in a jump of the sight reticule. It would be far from a smooth sway.

Despite the jitter, it is still entirely possible to engage targets at that range. I get around 60% hit ratio when I just fired it up to test. That's pretty decent for such extreme ranges and I am sure I could get better.

Unfortunately, being a video game there really isn't a possibility for a "natural" feel. If it was smooth like you suggest it wouldn't be more natural - it would simply be easier.

I do agree we need bipods though to further control sway.

No I switched to stable after the latest patch and I am 99% sure that the new sway was carried over independent of the fatigue. It is much more a up and down sway and less a random curls sway. And even on dev branch prior to them taking out the fatige, when you zoomed in at far range it was still twitchy rather than smooth as it should be IMO

Edited by -Coulum-

What Bawb is trying to say is that landing a shot at a range of 2km is EXTREMELY hard, and should be reflected as such in the game. FYI, some of the longest recorded sniper shots in history are around 2km, give or take a few hundred meters. A trained sniper, in real life, is not expected to hit anyone at that range.

What Bawb is trying to say is that landing a shot at a range of 2km is EXTREMELY hard, and should be reflected as such in the game. FYI, some of the longest recorded sniper shots in history are around 2km, give or take a few hundred meters. A trained sniper, in real life, is not expected to hit anyone at that range.

A 2000m kill shot would be a top ten world record shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

"EXTREMELY hard" may be overly optimistic.

Stop, just stop. The real world has no bearing on this thread.

Stop, just stop. The real world has no bearing on this thread.

Lol! :)

(Hope that was sarcasm)

---------- Post added at 04:48 ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 ----------

A 2000m kill shot would be a top ten world record shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

"EXTREMELY hard" may be overly optimistic.

This^

No, you will never convince some people with reality (the point of this thread as I see it now). They want X and reality is irrelevant to their desires. I am being quite literal.

Things that only a select few can master after years of effort should be the game's standard under any conditions.

2 km rofl

You shouldn't be able to hit anything at that range.

Have you ever looked through a scope at all ? At 2 km you would need a 50x or even 100x magnification. Good luck holding that crosshair steady . Not with a bipod, and not even with a front and back sandbag.

No . Just no.

2 km rofl

You shouldn't be able to hit anything at that range.

Have you ever looked through a scope at all ? At 2 km you would need a 50x or even 100x magnification. Good luck holding that crosshair steady . Not with a bipod, and not even with a front and back sandbag.

No . Just no.

Does actually anyone even a BIT read the posts in here before replying some total useless stuff?

OK to make it clear: AIM AT A RADAR DOME, from 600 meters, with a lynx and a SOS Scope. Center your aim in the middle of the dome and then dont touch ur mouse anymore. You can see, even on this range, that the view is raising up in the air ridiculously high, without any proper reason.

And anyway, this issue, as progamer said, already got fixed with the new stamina system. So stop defending bugs, omg xD

Does actually anyone even a BIT read the posts in here before replying some total useless stuff?
- aim at a atatic long range target (around 2km)

- have fun hitting it

Right. Either you expect to hit something at 2km or that part of your OP was useless.

Someoene please close this threat as its already solved.

It was obvious a bug or some accident and is fixed when the new stamina system is included.

Not interested in answering to some people who cannot even read a few posts but just want to annoy with some useless trolling.