wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

^^ Remember that the enemy OPCOM must be syncd to your base HQ mil placement (and marker) for it to attack.

^^ Remember that the enemy OPCOM must be syncd to your base HQ mil placement (and marker) for it to attack.

yep my opcom is synced to my mil placements and the enemies and vice versa.

however it is on stratis not altis.. when i try altis it seems to work the otherway around :/ blufor dont like attacking and opfor do.

maybe because its dynamic its different every time?

im looking forward to more mission types and maybe more opcom styles other than invasion and occupation?

dont exactly know what the diff is anyway ha

im still having a blast.. :D

the only problem is that its like never ending???? is there an end to this madness warzone :P

It ends in 2 years, after Iran give up. :D

Love what you have done for everything so far! So far the only issue is I can't seem to get CQB working for civilian military placements. It works fine for the military, but it seems like it might super-cede the civilian ones. Regardless, great job and I look forward to more!

Love the mod so far, great work; has anyone been able to use custom factions? I only play with massi's factions; African conflict and his US factions. The manual says to just separate with a comma but it keeps placing csat forces down with every combo I have tried. Maybe I'm putting in the wrong commands? Thanks.

Love the mod so far, great work; has anyone been able to use custom factions? I only play with massi's factions; African conflict and his US factions. The manual says to just separate with a comma but it keeps placing csat forces down with every combo I have tried. Maybe I'm putting in the wrong commands? Thanks.

Just like MSO - all units need CfgFactionClasses and CfgGroups to work. That's the only way ALiVE can work without having to create custom settings for every single unit mod available.

If the mod author has no idea what we're talking about, send them this way - I'll be happy to explain. We plan to start a thread in the mods area to encourage unit mod authors to use cfgFactionClasses and cfgGroups in their configs.

I have created factions and groups for units before, but if the author doesn't merge the configs back into their original work, they potentially become obsolete after the current release.

Can anyone give me the codex to decipher the objective locations? I have no idea how to read a location of : [[9950,19950],138.697]. I know it must be an XYZ coord but... where is that exactly? Haha.

A grateful thanks to everyone involved in creating this, ever since I first started using the editor I've dreamed of something like this where scenarios can easily be setup with modules, awesome work :)

Can anyone give me the codex to decipher the objective locations? I have no idea how to read a location of : [[9950,19950],138.697]. I know it must be an XYZ coord but... where is that exactly? Haha.

That's on the to do list to convert to a map grid reference.

As an aside, its [[x,y],objective size] - but that probably doesn't mean anything to you anyway.

Awesome to hear Wolffy. One more question - for the communications tower objective, we planted dozens of charges and the thing doesnt want to come down. We looked into the it more in the tasking and noted the other locations listed. Shouldn't we be able to just place some det's on the tower itself? Or do we have to take out everything listed in the tasking?

I'm assuming this is primarily for MP mission making and nothing to do with SP?

SpectreRSG - we have to wait for Highhead to answer that one.

I'm assuming this is primarily for MP mission making and nothing to do with SP?

Assume = Ass + u + me :D

You are assuming incorrectly - ALiVE works perfectly fine in the editor/SP.

Has suddenly stopped working well for me. Initially it would populate the area's without a hitch, however now it can take 2+ minutes before anything occurs on the map - this is with the same unedited mission that was previously working. I am also getting that module_init error.

Also, i have not been able to get civilian military placement to work despite following the tutorial to a T.

EDIT:

So after 600 seconds the mission is now actually populating. Again the thing I find unusual is this wait time as my first run through were very very fast.

Also, how do I use the admin teleporting etc?

Edited by RAINF
Results

Hello, I would like to make a small mission where a group of players attack Agia Marina (Or any town), with people patrolling and in houses, also civilians would be nice, but I'm pretty new to the whole Arma Editor, and I can only modify already existing mission.

I would greatly appreciate if there were some kind sir or lady who would like to help me by explaining step by step how to make it work. As I understand it this mod, is pretty easy to work with and I've tried myself but let's face it, I can't figure out how to do it myself.

So if anyone is willing to help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I'm currently studying game development but at an early stage, so I can figure out a bit for myself but I need the extra push, so to speak!

Edited by Fiddi
Further information

Great work so far! Are there any plans for full integrated Artillery support both for the players and AI? I noticed that Artillery is currently spawned but it appears the AI doesn't know how to use it yet. And will this perhaps also include mobile mortars?

You can set up an artillery thing your self with scripts here on the forums or with the games default artillery method. Should work just fine just dont sync them to the profile system.

Arty support is planned yes. It will support all current arty available in game. Can you elaborate on mobile arty and what you would expect here? Assuming you want to see OPCOM move its fires support assets as necessary?

Okay, maybe I'm just a total noob as I'm pretty new to editing in Arma, but in the second tutorial video, with the example of the Hunter. I can't get it to work correctly. I put in a empty Hunter GMG and I do not get the yellow box icon for it on the map, instead I get a blue Hunter icon and it does not spawn and despawn correctly. It is placed when I preview the mission, but it will not despawn at all. Any help would be great.

Is there a way to dynamically change the number of AI via a script? The problem is that if you start playing with only 3 players and get completely overwhelmed, and then 8 more players join (if the original 3 haven't quit in frustration yet) and now the AI no longer stand a chance and the players get bored.

Not at this point in time, not a bad idea. Will consider it as a feature request. Right now you can select the size of OPFOR force based on how many players you expect.

For regular gear, is it completely up to external scripts? Or does ALiVE do anything to the gear as well (say upon player respawn)? So far, I have noticed that shortly after respawn in the demo TvT mission all my magazines are slowly removed. What is supposed to be saved and when am I supposed to add gear to players (first login? Any login? Every respawn? Is ALiVE even supposed to do anything gear related in the current version?).

Are you playing hosted or dedi? On dedicated you need to place the Player Persistence module, this will recover player state after a disconnect/reconnect. For respawn, you need to place the respawn module to get gear returned to you after you have respawned. RC2, we will return player state after a server restart with our DB features.

How do you make the opcom spawn the side missions? Or is it automatic just by placing it, with syncing only giving it more specific locations?

What's not clear today is that OPCOM can take up to 10 minutes to initialize before our player tasks system kicks in. There are various reasons for this, but suffice to say that OPCOM needs to analyze the entire map and workout who should be doing what. After that is done, our Player Tasks system fires up and starts providing objectives. Its not ideal, but its how it happens in our Alpha at the moment.

Is there a way to make the support transport/CAS respawn?

Respawn or resupply? You mean if you lose a chopper/aircraft have it be resupplied? We're working on a logistics module that should cover this. In the meantime, don't get shotdown ;)

What about headless client support?

Again, the plumbing is in but the taps aren't installed. The way ALiVE works reduces the need for a HC, but we are working on supporting it so you can get maximum active AI into the fight.

Is there a safe way to give player initial gear on first connection and on every respawn, but not when he reconnects with the player persistence module? Basically, what I want is:

1. Player joins first time - Give him gear with my script.

2. Player respawns - Give him gear with my script (or give him gear he had when he died, though in the end I'd probably prefer to just use a script).

3. Player reconnects and spawns where he was when he disconnected - My script should know ALiVE is restoring his position and gear and thus not do anything.

Is this currently possible?

So far, "resupply" seems like a fancy form of "respawn", but yes, that's what I meant :)

In the end, for a persistent mission, anything that "only works once" is unfortunately not very useful :(

I have to say this seems to be a great mod, but I just can't get it to work. I've tried just about everything I can think of. I've turned off all the other mods except CBA and still no joy. I just can't get the spawning of the third blufor base to work in the 3rd video. I just get the plain markers on the map instead. I would love to get this to work so I can make some missions for my buddies and I to have a go at, so if anyone can share some insights would be great.

Is it, or will it be, possible to destroy units that aren't spawned nearby? I noticed that artillery couldn't damage distant, non-spawned units. Does this mean that If I launch a long range missile or bomb that it can only kill 'real' units?