wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Hi Reaper - You could try setting the Armoured spawns to 0 in the placement module (below where you set primary weighting under Overrides)

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Military_Placement_(Military_Objectives)

You could also blacklist certain unit types although I think that would be more work

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Military_Placement_(Military_Objectives)#Custom_Unit_Blacklists

Thanx Savage - I will take a look at your suggestion this evening. Appreciate the fast reply :)

REAPER

Hi Savage!

That would be great thanks! Also I am having a weird issue with an A-10 not taking off on the Rasman runway I have the azimuth set so its pointing directly down the runway but when I calling CAS it sort of drives around until it gets stuck without taking off. What am I doing wrong? lol They worked before

Thanks!

Hi there,

Complete noob here with the editor, but the awesome mod that is ALiVE made me start looking into it.

I try playing in single player using a local dedicated server but I can't managed to get the respawn working :

- I've set up a multispawn and chosen the Insertion option

- put a marker named: ALiVE_SUP_MULTISPAWN_INSERTION_%FACTION% and ALiVE_SUP_MULTISPAWN_DESTINATION_%FACTION%

- create a description.ext in my C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\Arma 3\missions\stratis_total_war-4.Stratis folder

- description.ext content is respawn = 3;respawnDelay = 15;

So I run the arma3server.exe, launch my mission but when I die I got a blackscreen with "respawn..." written and then the mission shutdown and I'm back to the lobby with the message "All players died" ...

I've spent the evening on this, must be missing something but can't figure out what it is ...:confused:

Second issue (which might be linked to the first), when I launch my game with arme3server running in the background I got the message "problem occurred while saving profile data. the file may be set to read-only or can be blocked by another instance of the game (e.g. dedicated server)". Both .exe are already launched as administrator. :confused:

Thanks in advance for the help !

ALiVE_SUP_MULTISPAWN_INSERTION_%FACTION% where %FACTION% is whatever faction you are using such as BLU_F for vanilla NATO forces. So the markername should be ALiVE_SUP_MULTISPAWN_INSERTION_BLU_F. As a fallback, place a marker named respawn_west. This is the default arma respawn location and ALiVE will revert to that if the multispawn fails for any reason. Description.ext is correct.

Not sure about that second one - doesn't seem related. Profile data is normally saved to the War Room with the ALiVE Data module is placed. You don't really need that until/unless you want persistence, and that's always a bit tricky when you're running a 'local dedi' server because your IP will change often. Try without it for the time being.

Very happy that ALiVE has piqued your interest in editing. This is after all why we built it in the first place so I hope you get a lot of fun out of it :)

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

Hi Savage!

That would be great thanks! Also I am having a weird issue with an A-10 not taking off on the Rasman runway I have the azimuth set so its pointing directly down the runway but when I calling CAS it sort of drives around until it gets stuck without taking off. What am I doing wrong? lol They worked before

Thanks!

Try the other end? Runways and AI really don't seem to get along in ArmA, it's a never ending source of frustration. It's most often because the runways are not recognised by the AI pilots and they just think they're roads. I'm no map editor so I'm not sure how they're defined in the configs.

Try the other end? Runways and AI really don't seem to get along in ArmA, it's a never ending source of frustration. It's most often because the runways are not recognised by the AI pilots and they just think they're roads. I'm no map editor so I'm not sure how they're defined in the configs.

Yep unfortunately this is the case and the AI just don't like some runways.

OpenDome - did you want a copy of my Panthera mission?

Thanks for the helP! I tried the other end of the runway and it worked!!! (for wahtever reason lol). That would be awesome savage if its not an inconvenience to you :)

Is there any way to cancel a logistic support mission ? I ordered a tank convoy which got stuck on its way and took ages before reaching destination and couldn't order anything in the meantime :(

Firstly, great mod. Thanks!

I'm planning on doing a campaign for our unit with a Spetsnaz behind enemy lines theme. I'm thinking a persistent ALiVE driven campaign would be ideal. I have messed about with ALiVE a fair bit and understand the basics but I'd like to know if theres any tips or advise that would help me out that I may have overlooked.

The map will be Stratis. I'll be putting down the normal modules to populate the maps military objectives with RHS US Forces plus civilians in their respective objectives. There will be no opposing side modules as our unit will be it and shouldn't be aware we are there unless theres a contact. We use ASR_AI, MCC & TPW CAS for AI at the moment. I'm planning on doing some kind of airdrop for more ammo and supplies and I'm not sure how best to implement it without using MCC or what effect ALiVE will have in multiplayer with things, not AI enemy, spawned by MCC like an airdrop. Will MCC take control of ALiVE AI or vice versa at any point?

The missions will be recce then stepping up to ambushes, sabotage and assasinations (as you do) towards the end as we implement a plan based of the intel gathered in preperation for the main body of Russian Forces invading.

I realise its best to experiment myself and figure it out and thats fine but if anyone who's done something similar can offer advice that can save valuable time or give me some nice ideas on how to get the most out the ALiVE system I would be grateful.

MCC should work nicely together with ALiVE, at least so I've been told! I've not used MCC for a while put Shay posted in this thread a while back about it - afaik GAIA will stick to controlling the AI in the zones you allocate it and shouldn't interfere with ALiVE (and vice versa). You can certainly use MCC to spawn air drops and stuff though. Just bear in mind you'll be throwing a lot of script overhead at your server using both mods with TPW and ASR on top.

An alternative approach would be to use ALiVE's integrated logistics, albeit this would be less flexible for the players because you're restricted to the kit your side has, rather than spawning whatever you want in. You'd need to set up your side's logistics chain as well (i.e. Mil Placement & AI Commander near a high prio objective with at least one group to capture and hold it, the Combat Logistics module and the Player Combat Log so you can access your Commander's log chain).

I would recommend in this scenario that you keep ALiVE fairly 'light touch' so it provides a general ambient battlefield and then use MCC to provide the detailed objectives for your specific missions if you want absolute certainty for your players that there will be a juicy target to attack when you get there. ALiVE attempts to simulate combined arms tactics, so even an Infantry battle group is likely to be supported by some armour and artillery. You will probably want to force the Mil Placement modules to reduce the number of armoured groups a bit given you're going in unsupported or it could get a bit unbalanced.

You might consider using the C2ISTAR module and get your chaps into the habit of placing ALiVE markers with SPOTREPs, SITREPs and Taskings after completing their recce patrols. They persist between sessions and add a nice element of command and control for continuity between missions, especially if you have people jumping on at different times. It fun to go back over the AAR timeline in the War Room to see what they got up to!

I was going to use Zeus to place specific personnel or items and have the "synced items only" enabled. The server will restart every day anyway so I'll need to do some specifics.

I reckon we'll be going in as a group each time rather than piecemeal.

MCC will provide airdrop custom supplies and possibly CAS LGBs.

I'll have a look at the C2ISTAR module. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:01 ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 ----------

In fact I should probably have the server taken off reset to keep map markings etc anyway right ? How does a reset affect C2ISTAR or any other part of persistence ?

is there a way to Auto save the Persistent Mission and restart the server other than manually doing it ?

Is there any way to Exclude a vehicle from saving to the DB ? as i have a EH added to a Chopper and do not want this one saved to the DB - or can i add a EH to this and it save the EH to the db as well ?

Edited by 1PARA{God-Father}

There isn't currently. It's on our radar as something that probably needs to be implemented at some point due to the AI's inability to actually drive. Added a ticket to DH: http://dev.withsix.com/issues/76063

Ok thanks !

One last question (for the time being...) : is it possible to show on maps the position of allied forces + the intel our faction have on opposing forces ? So far I only see people from my squad + nearby forces... Find it kinda hard to figure out where to attack/defend without being aware of the general situation on the battlefield...

markh7991 - ALiVE markers and reports are persistent. Regular BIS markers are not.

CommanderX - talk to BIS! You can reduce the impact by spawning fewer units at a time but it's a recognised problem with the RV engine that spawning units causes stuttering on clients. Seems to have got worse with the last patch.

1PARA - Not as far as I know. I'll get back to you on that one. For vehicles, you can exclude them from the logistics system to prevent it saving their location/state using this setvariable ["ALiVE_SYS_LOGISTICS_DISABLE",true]. Assuming it's not profiled, it shouldn't save to the DB at all then. You'll need to test that theory though, I've never actually tried it.

Fafafou - many thanks for the donation! Massively appreciated and it will help keep the DB running for a while longer. Intel is a bit screwed in this version but should be much more reliable in the next release (coming soonâ„¢). With 100% intel on and Sector Display it will show you everything that's going on. You can always cheat a little by using the Admin Menu to show Profile Debug too....

is there a way to Auto save the Persistent Mission and restart the server other than manually doing it ?

Is there any way to Exclude a vehicle from saving to the DB ? as i have a EH added to a Chopper and do not want this one saved to the DB - or can i add a EH to this and it save the EH to the db as well ?

Mission data is auto saved on mission/server exit (using the ALiVE Main menu - Server Save and Exit - button)

if the vehicle is not "profiled" and not used by players then it won't get saved. We are looking at applying vehicle/custom inits to profiled units.

If a server does an auto restart for some reason will the persistent battlefield pick up where it left off assuming my I have selected the save option mentioned above?

Mission data is auto saved on mission/server exit (using the ALiVE Main menu - Server Save and Exit - button)

if the vehicle is not "profiled" and not used by players then it won't get saved. We are looking at applying vehicle/custom inits to profiled units.

Thanks i did mean if i set the server to restart at x time every other day, is there a way to get the Auto save to work if no one is in game ?

Thanks ill make sure that Vehicle is not profiled and add

this setvariable ["ALiVE_SYS_LOGISTICS_DISABLE",true].

also.

Cheers

Hmm, you smell that in the air? It smells of imminent release.

Very Soonâ„¢

getting this over and over in my rpt file

13:02:49 Error in expression < (format ["%1",_x getVariable _side] == _var && Alive _x) then {_obj = _x;};
} f>
13:02:49   Error position: <_var && Alive _x) then {_obj = _x;};
} f>
13:02:49   Error Undefined variable in expression: _var

any ideas whats causing it?

Could be any one of about 20 modules but not something we've seen before. I guess you can check that all the modules are properly synced? Wild guess mind you.

13:02:49 Error in expression < (format ["%1",_x getVariable _side] == _var && Alive _x) then {_obj = _x;};
} f>
} f>

Yeah I have not seen this one before. Does it happen every time? Or is it an intermittent kinda thing?

} f>
} f>

alive (in this instance) is a BIS command. What script is causing this error? should be reported in the RPT.

It could be ANY addon not just ALiVE.