wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

That's probably a roadblock ;)

Haha yes i think you nailed it.  When i scoped the place out i did find roadblocks!  But not 100% of the time.  But good to know either way

Those experiencing JIP marker / tasks issues can you provide your server's RPT file and alive_date.log (found in @aliveserver folder)?

Hey @Savage, here's the latest file where i loaded mission, exited the mission, and then when joining again markers where hidden:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kiy24v661hnlb4p/aliveplugin_2015-11-13_09-57.txt?dl=0

• Like 1

I know several people have asked for the SP save feature before. I just need a clarification.

Being totally MP illiterate, i need to know if a mod like inidb can be utilised to save mission like any other SP mission without freezing the game? Please tell me with regards to single player only, and not connected to the internet. I havent digged into inidb yet but heard it saves data.

Thank you.

I know several people have asked for the SP save feature before. I just need a clarification.

Being totally MP illiterate, i need to know if a mod like inidb can be utilised to save mission like any other SP mission without freezing the game? Please tell me with regards to single player only, and not connected to the internet. I havent digged into inidb yet but heard it saves data.

Thank you.

I know you don't want to talk internet, but would you be opposed to creating a dedicated server on your PC so you can save and resume playing ALiVE missions alone? I'm in the process of doing that right now and it's not overly difficult.

I know you don't want to talk internet, but would you be opposed to creating a dedicated server on your PC so you can save and resume playing ALiVE missions alone? I'm in the process of doing that right now and it's not overly difficult.

Please run me through it. I do see a armaserver.exe in the folder. If thats what you are talking about? :)

How to setup a local dedicated server for ALiVE

Step 1:

Download TADST from Armaholic, and unzip the content to desktop. Copy TADST.ext to your arma 3 directory. Ex: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3. Make a new shortcut on TADST.exe and but it on your desktop.

Step 2:

Click on windows icon and then search for all programs, type: ¨run¨ and then the run application will open. Type cmd in the text field, then it will open a DOS interface. Type inn ipconfig/all and press enter. You will se alot off ip adresses. Take note of the following ip adresses:

• IP adress
  • Networkmask.
  • Standard Gateway
  • DNS Server
  • DNS Server alternative
Step 3:

Right click on your nettwork ikon to buttom right on your desktop, and click on network and sharingcenter. Then you click change setting for network cards. Locate your active network card and right click and select properties. Then you will see a menu, locate Internett protocoll 4 TCP/IPv4, select that, and click on properties. Selct manual configuration on both Ip adresses and DNS adresses. Type in the values you took note off in step 2. click on OK, USE and OK. Its important that yout PC is on a Static IP, se step 4.

Step 4:

Open a internett explorer, type in the Standard Gateway adress you took note on step 2, press enter.

Then you shoud se the login interface to your router, if you dont know your login details, its normaly: username: admin, password: is your default key, labeled under you router. locate the settings for port forwarding, normaly it shown under network security, depending of your router. You must allow port 2302-2305 to be open, in most cases you must also define and IP adress for a server or a divice, ie your dedicated server for arma 3.

Step 5:

Click on this link: http://www.whatsmyip.org/, take note on the ip adress displaying. This is your external ip adress, witch you must use in War Room.

Step 6:

Go to: http://alivemod.com/user/login and create an account, create a new group and click on create a server. Follow the server setup instructions. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU UPDATE @Aliveserver and ALiVE.cfg after each update on alive!

Step 7:

Open TADST, follow guide on armaholic on how to setup TADST. The only thing that is not noted on the guide is the value on Steam port, the correct value is 2305 not 8766.

Select a ALiVE mission,

(try one of the official missions from ALiVE, you find them in @AliVE, Demo, MP. Copy the ALiVE_Insurgency_Redux.Altis.pbo or the mission of your choice and paste it to MPmissions in Arma3 directory.) And you need to run the exact same mods as your client but include @aliveserver aswell. Click LOUNCH

Remember to shut down Steam client, the Steam client must always be shut down before you starting your dedicated server!

Step 8:

Start Steam client again and start arma3. Go to multiplayer and click on filters, type in your name on your server, it might take some time before it shows up! When it shows up join your server and start to play! When you want to save your mission: open chat and type login yourpassword defined in TADST, click on Server Save and Exit. Login in to War Room and and check that the stats is showing up and everything look ok. If it is, then cudos to youJ

ArmaMan, here's a pretty decent post from a while back in this thread. On top of that, here are some other resources.

This video got me started:

This video helped clarify forwarding the ports:

This video is another example. Note however I did not create a new folder for all of my ARMA files. I did it all in the same folder I play single player with:

Keep in mind also, I used the default 8766 for my Steam port in TADST. Also, when registering with War Room, when it asks for your IP, it doesn't actually want your static internal. It wants your external. You can find that at whatsmyip.org

I'm super new to this and don't really know what I'm doing. :) I have everything set up now using these guides but also note I'm having a problem continuing where I left off at the moment from War Room but I THINK that's a "me" thing so you SHOULD be ok. I'll post the solution here regardless once I figure it out.

• Like 2

ArmaMan, here's a pretty decent post from a while back in this thread. On top of that, here are some other resources.

Thank you man. I really appreciate your help. :)

But I believe still the hassle for war room log in etc etc is needed. Ill just skip Alive till a stable save feature is put in for SP.

Regards

Sorry trying to search and no luck.

Say i'm building a mission where multiple objects are being moved into custom locations.  Is there a way to force save these objects in there last known locations?  Tested and so far no luck.  Not sure if i can run a INIT or something to have alive save this.  These are objects, not units.

EDIT:  I should add i am using R3F Logistics.  Can i use something from their code, or "ALIVE_fnc_logistics"??

EDIT/EDIT:

Ok sorry i found a solution.  Maybe the ALIVE team can chime in with best results, but the way i got it to work was the script using to spawn the objects at random places, i then ran the following code on the object:

[LOGIC_ALIVE,"updateObject",_this] call ALIVE_fnc_logistics;

where 'LOGIC_ALIVE' is the ALIVE required Module named as LOGIC_ALIVE.

Does using Headless Clients really improve server resource usage? Currently, we don't use Headless clients and the server instance is hitting around 1.2GB of RAM usage even when no one is on the server. Would the use of Headless Clients improve this? If so, how many HCs can be used?

When you reboot the server does A3 start up @ 1.2GB of RAM?  If so there is something wrong with your install.  If that usage is just over time after running missions that is OK I wouldn't worry about it (unless you don't have a lot of RAM on the machine... if that is the case BUY MORE  ;) )

Not sure how much an HC will reduce the RAM usage... I suppose if there are tons of AI it will make a difference.. never really tested it out myself though.

Improve to get more RAM or to use less ram? :P We would be happy if arma3server could take 10GB of ram :P

With HC your main core server will have more resources free for other stuff. It really improves the performance. Normally we use 1 HC but we will try out to use 2 (if alive support 2 HC'S, idk)

Improve to get more RAM or to use less ram? :P We would be happy if arma3server could take 10GB of ram :P

With HC your main core server will have more resources free for other stuff. It really improves the performance. Normally we use 1 HC but we will try out to use 2 (if alive support 2 HC'S, idk)

Be aware, HC actually has issues with ALiVE combat support (won't land and won't fire). This should be fixed when 1.0 releases I believe.

• Like 1

Thanks dude.  I noticed some of the bugs (Support module and HC, JIP markers, etc..) we discussed here are not on there?  Should we be submitting them?

Yes please submit bug reports on DH. They can get lost in the noise on the forums.

@aliveserver only needs to be added to the mod line on the server itself. Not the client (aka, you do not need to add it to your typical mods list in your ARMA 3 launcher).

So for instance, let's say you're running vanilla ALiVE using TADST as your server. In TADST, in the mods section, you need to enable @aliveserver, @alive and @CBA. In your ARMA 3 launcher, you only need to enable @alive and @CBA.

Does that make sense?

Edit: I see you deleted your post but I will leave mine here incase anyone else is confused by how to enable @aliveserver

• Like 1

Hello there, I have one question:

at this moment, is there any way to avoid roadblocks, IEDs Factories, Recruitment HQ and Weapon Depots spawning inside black listed TAORs?

@aliveserver only needs to be added to the mod line on the server itself. Not the client (aka, you do not need to add it to your typical mods list in your ARMA 3 launcher).

So for instance, let's say you're running vanilla ALiVE using TADST as your server. In TADST, in the mods section, you need to enable @aliveserver, @alive and @CBA. In your ARMA 3 launcher, you only need to enable @alive and @CBA.

Does that make sense?

Edit: I see you deleted your post but I will leave mine here incase anyone else is confused by how to enable @aliveserver

Thanks.  I've done everything I can but when I try to enter my server it either gets stuck on the loading screen until I get a message that it's lost connection to host or I immediately get into the screen where I choose whether I'm going to be the team leader or machine gunner or marksman, etc.  But after selecting something it says that it's lost connection to host again.  I've been trying to do this for a couple years.  Always the same stupid shit that never works.  I blame ARMA.  My server is hosted on the same PC I'm playing ARMA on.

Thanks.  I've done everything I can but when I try to enter my server it either gets stuck on the loading screen until I get a message that it's lost connection to host or I immediately get into the screen where I choose whether I'm going to be the team leader or machine gunner or marksman, etc.  But after selecting something it says that it's lost connection to host again.  I've been trying to do this for a couple years.  Always the same stupid shit that never works.  I blame ARMA.  My server is hosted on the same PC I'm playing ARMA on.

Me giving you advice on how to fix this would be like the blind leading the blind. :( I'm wicked new to this server stuff.

Are you using TADST and the compiled list of steps I posted on the last page? I'm like the least computer literate person you'll ever meet and doing everything listed there, my server runs perfectly. What I do is launch ARMA first (with all mods in place, etc). I then load up TADST, setup (or select my profile in) the server, and then tab back to the game (which is already open on the menu screen).

Me giving you advice on how to fix this would be like the blind leading the blind. :( I'm wicked new to this server stuff.

Are you using TADST and the compiled list of steps I posted on the last page? I'm like the least computer literate person you'll ever meet and doing everything listed there, my server runs perfectly. What I do is launch ARMA first (with all mods in place, etc). I then load up TADST, setup (or select my profile in) the server, and then tab back to the game (which is already open on the menu screen).

Yeah, I'm using TADST and I've followed the directions that you posted from Brawler on the last page.  I've followed lots of tutorials.  You launch ARMA first?  Aren't you supposed to close out of Steam first and then launch TADST and then ARMA?  According to Brawler: "Remember to shut down Steam client, the Steam client must always be shut down before you starting your dedicated server!"

Yeah, I'm using TADST and I've followed the directions that you posted from Brawler on the last page.  I've followed lots of tutorials.  You launch ARMA first?  Aren't you supposed to close out of Steam first and then launch TADST and then ARMA?  According to Brawler: "Remember to shut down Steam client, the Steam client must always be shut down before you starting your dedicated server!"

Yeah, I saw that too, but I actually found Brawler's tutorial after I was almost done getting my server set up. I never needed to do that step.

I open steam, launch ARMA, select my mods and launch the game.

I then X out of steam (though I think it remains "open" in the background because I can still recieve messages).

I open TADST, set it up and click launch. Then, after the ARMA 3 server thing tab finishes initializing, I go back into the game and select my server in the multiplayer tab.

Hey guys, not to sound rude, and i'm not the thread owner so maybe i shouldn't comment this, but you guys should consider starting a PM, or separate thread for starting ALIVE Servers.  I only ask because it floods this topic which could share other important details/help topics.

Anyways for those of you that experience the FIA bug, and i had opened a ticket with RHS, they updated it.  They are saying it could or is an ALiVE Bug.  IDK if i agree, but wanted to share their findings here with the team:

http://feedback.rhsmods.org/view.php?id=1331

As a workaround, by not loading the Russian RHS mod, it seems to be OK.  GL.

• Like 1

So now you guys are at a 1.0 release. My question is what is the next big step for AliVe? Do you guys have a dev blog I could follow?