wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Only in dev!  We've not released that version yet.

Thanks for that info and answer, at least I know now it isn't me lol  :)

Just wanted to post I've been enjoying the heck out of this mod for SP games. It's driving me to explore how to design more procedurally generated missions (player spawn, base location, AI recruitment, control sectors, etc.), learn scripting, etc. So far, I've fought both RHS OPFOR and (modified) CSAT for all of Altis and Bystrica. :D

Glad you're enjoying it :)  New release will be soonâ„¢ (hopefully) with some nifty additions.

Just wanted to post I've been enjoying the heck out of this mod for SP games. It's driving me to explore how to design more procedurally generated missions (player spawn, base location, AI recruitment, control sectors, etc.), learn scripting, etc. So far, I've fought both RHS OPFOR and (modified) CSAT for all of Altis and Bystrica. :D

Good to hear, I'm actually working on a more small-group/SP styled tool that allows you to manipulate and survey the battlefield. Current features being >> calling nearby groups for assistance, calling nearby groups to help assault a location (of course this supports profiled units as well), marking objectives based on dominant side/current orders (hopefully I can do this :) ). Then also a simple group manager system to view your squad members' gear, set their formation and behavior easily. I hope to release a test version soon on the forums if you're interested.

Edit: Lol, as with everything I do I forgot to include dedicated server support..oops   we'll see how hard it is to work with the locality of AI

Good to hear, I'm actually working on a more small-group/SP styled tool that allows you to manipulate and survey the battlefield. Current features being >> calling nearby groups for assistance, calling nearby groups to help assault a location (of course this supports profiled units as well), marking objectives based on dominant side/current orders (hopefully I can do this :) ). Then also a simple group manager system to view your squad members' gear, set their formation and behavior easily. I hope to release a test version soon on the forums if you're interested.

If your focusing on the smaller / SP styled game play (which is basically all i play using alive) then a cool feature that I scripted in my missions - and im sure easy for you to include if you wanted to -  has been the ability to add & remove units dynamically to my group while in the field.  Many a time I would come in on an AI vs AI skirmish over an objective and when finished I would see 1, 2, or 3 unit squads running around the place after having taken casualties.   So my addAction allows me to go up to the unit in the field and have it dynamically added to my team, then when I get back to base I have the option to then remove the unit (also deleting it) if I no longer need it.

Can't have those poor sods running around on their own out there!

Since 0.9.9 and example insurgency mission (Which i enjoy alot) i do not see any armor/wheeled/tracked vehicles anymore and AI only spawns in buildings (no outside patrols). 

Should i switch something in ALiVE modules to make this mission more like previous versions?

Btw, loved addition of AAF to insurgency missions as enemy of OPFOR. Makes mission more alive.

If your focusing on the smaller / SP styled game play (which is basically all i play using alive) then a cool feature that I scripted in my missions - and im sure easy for you to include if you wanted to -  has been the ability to add & remove units dynamically to my group while in the field.  Many a time I would come in on an AI vs AI skirmish over an objective and when finished I would see 1, 2, or 3 unit squads running around the place after having taken casualties.   So my addAction allows me to go up to the unit in the field and have it dynamically added to my team, then when I get back to base I have the option to then remove the unit (also deleting it) if I no longer need it.

Can't have those poor sods running around on their own out there!

I use ASR which auto-joins groups together if they don't have enough AI in them, but the feature was on my list since picking up AI in the field can be very useful. Not sure when I'll get around to adding it since I have a lot of wish-list features that I want to add.. just need to organize myself. I already have the option to both delete and remove AI from your group. Thanks for the suggestion!

Since 0.9.9 and example insurgency mission (Which i enjoy alot) i do not see any armor/wheeled/tracked vehicles anymore and AI only spawns in buildings (no outside patrols). 

Should i switch something in ALiVE modules to make this mission more like previous versions?

Btw, loved addition of AAF to insurgency missions as enemy of OPFOR. Makes mission more alive.

You may need to delete and replace the modules in the editor to make it pick up the new code.  I'll do a sanity check of the demo missions before we do the next release.

You may need to delete and replace the modules in the editor to make it pick up the new code.  I'll do a sanity check of the demo missions before we do the next release.

done that already. I noticed that military CQB module uses OPF_G_F faction for spawning units (FIA if i can recall correctly?) and AAF do not have any heavy armor.

It'll be the Placement modules (Military or Civilian) which defines which faction is spawned for the AI Commander to use.  You can switch this easily in the module if you prefer to use a faction with more armoured groups.

...still no luck. I got how that mission works anad probably something is wrong with factions... can you probably add me to skype conference? New BI forum killed all links. My skype is lex.io

@Friznit and Spyderblack, I'll look forward to all the developments. Your grasp and execution of features is so far beyond my current beginner's ability to merely spawn some markers and sprinkle AI units on like parmesan on pizza. (on which point just found in this thread that I can't have ALiVE pick up any randomly placed/moved markers to use for TAORs due to init/loading order --- easily or perhaps at all)

The small-unit abilities to interact w AI units, asking for support or issuing commands, adding/removing from your own group, etc. are all def things I've found myself wanting. I'll keep an eye out for when that project comes to fruition.

Hi, please forgive me for my completely noob question I'm about to ask; if I am running alive on my own home server which I keep running 24/7 when I log out as player should my game keep running on the server so when I log back in I can continue playing? I have included the script from the wiki to stop the modules when player disconnects so does this mean I can jump in and out and continue my campaign? The reason I ask is I played for 2 hours last night, logged out and when I logged back in everything had restarted like starting fresh and all the progress made was gone. Is there something special I need to be doing? This is in the absence of alive persistence, I've tried to get it going but just can't seem to get a consistent result. Any help really appreciated.

Hi, please forgive me for my completely noob question I'm about to ask; if I am running alive on my own home server which I keep running 24/7 when I log out as player should my game keep running on the server so when I log back in I can continue playing? I have included the script from the wiki to stop the modules when player disconnects so does this mean I can jump in and out and continue my campaign? The reason I ask is I played for 2 hours last night, logged out and when I logged back in everything had restarted like starting fresh and all the progress made was gone. Is there something special I need to be doing? This is in the absence of alive persistence, I've tried to get it going but just can't seem to get a consistent result. Any help really appreciated.

This is because by default, when no player is in the server, the mission ends. You can change this by altering a setting in the server.cfg (unless you are running a server setup tool in which case say so). In your server.cfg, include this line (or change it if it is already present) 

persistent = 1;

I, like anyone else, greatly enjoyed playing with ALive. But I am a pure Single Person man. And I know very well that a myriad times people whine about SP save. But honestly that would be the biggest deal missing from Alive. I am a huge fan of your addon, no doubt. And I want to enjoy one mission for days you know. Perpetuality through normal SP save and not persistence.

Anyway, myself along with many others (I know there is a huge community) will wait for a possible work around by the Alive devs to incorporate SP save. It just feels strange to see every other battle generators capable to spawning hundreds of AI and execute complex tasks beautifully allowing SP saves with flawless load option. If I manually save with Alive it hangs, and when I force close the process and see the save file size, its around 600-700 MBs  :blink:  (WOW!)

Honestly, games for me should be fun. Alive is a blessing for MP lovers who have good friends/team mates to coordinate the mission with. Where I live, people are into plain stuff like GTA and not Arma 3. So its tough to come across people who would know how milsim works. I spent 2 days on making the mission I am playing these days ( And it feels every way like ALive with logistics, auto objectives etc). But honestly setting up servers or even using the internet for "save" option is too much. Internet speeds here dont help either.

Well anyway, I hope you guys take my review in right spirit. We just wish for an Alive SP save version.

Thank you. :D

BY the  nature of what ALiVE is doing it creates an enormous save file - which breaks most systems... I'm pretty sure they've looked at this time and time again and the solutions is to create a dedicated server and use their online database to save your mission progress. It's the only way.

Alternatively join up with a Milsim Unit... there are loads out there, literally thousands -  I guarantee you will find some that share your playstyle and playing times.

P.s. (3CB :-) )

BY the  nature of what ALiVE is doing it creates an enormous save file - which breaks most systems... I'm pretty sure they've looked at this time and time again and the solutions is to create a dedicated server and use their online database to save your mission progress. It's the only way.

Alternatively join up with a Milsim Unit... there are loads out there, literally thousands -  I guarantee you will find some that share your playstyle and playing times.

P.s. (3CB :-) )

Thank you. I will try :)

Hi does anyone know if this code (from thr wiki) works?

["someId", "onPlayerConnected", {

if (({isPlayer _x} count playableUnits) > 0 || OPCOM_TOGGLE) then { ["ALIVE_MIL_OPCOM"] call ALiVE_fnc_unPauseModule; OPCOM_TOGGLE = false; };

}] call BIS_fnc_addStackedEventHandler;

["someId", "onPlayerDisconnected", {

if ( ({isPlayer _x} count playableUnits) == 0 ) then { ["ALIVE_MIL_OPCOM"] call ALiVE_fnc_pauseModule; OPCOM_TOGGLE = true; };

And if it does work how exactly do I use it? Tried to put it in initServer.sqf but didnt work, insurgents just ravanged my game while I was away. Does anyone have another way to pause the game on dedi when no players are connected??? Thanks.

Hi does anyone know if this code (from thr wiki) works?

if (({isPlayer _x} count playableUnits) > 0 || OPCOM_TOGGLE) then { ["ALIVE_MIL_OPCOM"] call ALiVE_fnc_unPauseModule; OPCOM_TOGGLE = false; };

if ( ({isPlayer _x} count playableUnits) == 0 ) then { ["ALIVE_MIL_OPCOM"] call ALiVE_fnc_pauseModule; OPCOM_TOGGLE = true; };

And if it does work how exactly do I use it? Tried to put it in initServer.sqf but didnt work, insurgents just ravanged my game while I was away. Does anyone have another way to pause the game on dedi when no players are connected??? Thanks.

It works, the end solution however was to pause more modules to freeze everything related to Asymm

if (({isPlayer _x} count playableUnits) > 0 || OPCOM_TOGGLE) then { ["ALIVE_MIL_OPCOM","alive_sys_profile","alive_amb_civ_population"] call ALiVE_fnc_unPauseModule; OPCOM_TOGGLE = false; };

if ( ({isPlayer _x} count playableUnits) == 0 ) then { ["ALIVE_MIL_OPCOM","alive_sys_profile","alive_amb_civ_population"] call ALiVE_fnc_pauseModule; OPCOM_TOGGLE = true; };

Something similar to that combination

I, like anyone else, greatly enjoyed playing with ALive. But I am a pure Single Person man. And I know very well that a myriad times people whine about SP save. But honestly that would be the biggest deal missing from Alive. I am a huge fan of your addon, no doubt. And I want to enjoy one mission for days you know. Perpetuality through normal SP save and not persistence.

Anyway, myself along with many others (I know there is a huge community) will wait for a possible work around by the Alive devs to incorporate SP save. It just feels strange to see every other battle generators capable to spawning hundreds of AI and execute complex tasks beautifully allowing SP saves with flawless load option. If I manually save with Alive it hangs, and when I force close the process and see the save file size, its around 600-700 MBs  :blink:  (WOW!)

Honestly, games for me should be fun. Alive is a blessing for MP lovers who have good friends/team mates to coordinate the mission with. Where I live, people are into plain stuff like GTA and not Arma 3. So its tough to come across people who would know how milsim works. I spent 2 days on making the mission I am playing these days ( And it feels every way like ALive with logistics, auto objectives etc). But honestly setting up servers or even using the internet for "save" option is too much. Internet speeds here dont help either.

Well anyway, I hope you guys take my review in right spirit. We just wish for an Alive SP save version.

Thank you. :D

I also play sp only, but i don't realy missing save in sp. I create missions that can be completed in a 1-2 hours. But its actually very fun without the option to save, simply if you die you must start at the beginning, and that forces you to recess everything as you move, gather intel and recon, plan your route ahead, know when to engage and disengage etc. It is realy a very realistic way to play, its tension its challenging and you as a player becomming ALiVE in a virtual warzone.

Tom

It works, the end solution however was to pause more modules to freeze everything related to Asymm

if (({isPlayer _x} count playableUnits) > 0 || OPCOM_TOGGLE) then { ["ALIVE_MIL_OPCOM","alive_sys_profile","alive_amb_civ_population"] call ALiVE_fnc_unPauseModule; OPCOM_TOGGLE = false; };

if ( ({isPlayer _x} count playableUnits) == 0 ) then { ["ALIVE_MIL_OPCOM","alive_sys_profile","alive_amb_civ_population"] call ALiVE_fnc_pauseModule; OPCOM_TOGGLE = true; };
Something similar to that combination

Yeah that's what I did added more of the modules (is there a list of all the module "class" names somewhere?), I'll just have to play with it. So putting only this code into initServer.sqf is all I need to do?? Thanks for all your recent help by the way.

Yeah that's what I did added more of the modules (is there a list of all the module "class" names somewhere?), I'll just have to play with it. So putting only this code into initServer.sqf is all I need to do?? Thanks for all your recent help by the way.

Place every module down into a mission and save it. Then go into the mission.sqm inside the mission folder and scroll down until you start seeing names like ALiVE_sys_profile, ALiVE_sys_data. Yes you should just be able to throw it in an initServer.sqf.

I got a randomly generated task to defend an object from a sabotage attempt, the object in question was a lamp post....
Got my AI team together, used our dropship (Operation Trebuchet) to get to the AO, we dug in and waited. It was supposed to be an easy mission, but thanks to me messing around with spawn rates of the enemy AI, things got a bit out of hand. It got the point where I had to request saturation fire from USS Missouri. Most of the town was levelled to the ground by 406mm rounds. The lamp post was fine though.

I like to imagine this as something like a Saving Private Ryan final battle, but with a lamp post instead of bridge .

• Like 1

Lamp posts are definitely a strategic assets in a world where the covenant has taken so much from our worlds.

• Like 3