wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

2 questions:

1. All of the doors are wide open on the Island Of Takistan when I play with Alive -is there a way to shut them? Makes me house hunt crazy :crazy:

2. Are there built in 'Win' parameters in Alive or do they need to be placed seperately via trigger/conditions?

Please could someone help me out with the persistance? I cannt for the life of me get it working. When i click server save and exit the console comes up saying that its saving.. But doesnt save and also stays on that screen and doesnt move from it. Really would love to get this up and running but ive been trying on and off for months now with no success at all :(

PM'ed you

2 questions:

1. All of the doors are wide open on the Island Of Takistan when I play with Alive -is there a way to shut them? Makes me house hunt crazy :crazy:

2. Are there built in 'Win' parameters in Alive or do they need to be placed seperately via trigger/conditions?

It's not an ALiVE function but there is a module for this in the editor (can't remember where but it's called open/close hatches or similar) - you can set the radius around the module and whether or not all doors/hatches are open or closed at mission start.

Ok yeah thats strange -happens without Alive on Takistan even with that Close Door module enabled....hmmm....

Ah maybe it doesn't work on A2 maps? I know I've tried it on Stratis and Koplic with success.

2 questions:

There are no built in win conditions, if you want to make one where you win when all enemies are killed, you can find a useful function here http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Script_Snippets.. scroll down to "Detect Virtual Units (Profiles) in a Trigger Area"

Is there any good way to build up hearts and minds with the civilians? I know not pointing your gun at them and stuff like that but I was wondering what some of the more direct and indirect changes to their morale towards you are?

You can earn the civilians' trust by disarming IED's, destroying recruitment HQ's (aswell as depots, factories, etc), and by just clearing towns of insurgents in general

8/8 customer support and friendly help thread.

Very cool about hearts and minds parameters above, so much to learn with this.

Anyway I can change the amount of units the Opcom uses for reserves (which I assume is how many it leaves at captured objectives). Default is 4 Attack, 1 Reserve, 5 Defend for occupation. I am looking for more 4 Attack, 5 Reserve, 5 Defend. To promote a more realistic defensive opcom rather then a blitzing opcom.

Anyway I can change the amount of units the Opcom uses for reserves (which I assume is how many it leaves at captured objectives). Default is 4 Attack, 1 Reserve, 5 Defend for occupation. I am looking for more 4 Attack, 5 Reserve, 5 Defend. To promote a more realistic defensive opcom rather then a blitzing opcom.

None that I am aware of, sorry.

Feature request?

8/8 customer support and friendly help thread.

HH said if we don't treat you right he's gonna beat us (again)

Edited by SavageCDN

With the asymmetric module does the enemy ai eventually find the civilian ai and all the good stuff happens?

with the road blocks is there any way to change the mg that spawns. as the super thermal death cannon that they get seems to kill the atmosphere.

I attempted to edit the mil_opcom.pbo and changed the reserve count for occupation (from 1 to 5) to promote the more realistic/defensive Opcom activity. However, Arma doesn't recognize that file now...I assume this has something to do with the bisign? Obviously not editing it for redistribution, just for testing. Understandable if there is no fix to this. The only Opcom improvements you guys have planned keep getting pushed back on the version list.

Is there any particular reason why the opcom improvements keep getting pushed back? I understand the assymetrical was a big focus here recently (and its fantastic!), so I presume that would be the reason. I'm just kinda use to Hetman's style of a commander, where its a bit slower paced and little more defensive and realistic.

What debug do i need to enable too see aysemetric warfare commander place recruitment hq, factories and such.

What debug do i need to enable too see aysemetric warfare commander place recruitment hq, factories and such.

Turn on debug in the Military AI Commander module that is set to asymmetric

---------- Post added at 03:38 ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 ----------

if you like to know how all this asked above looks in action

then

try this mission

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?192255-ALiVE-RHS-Cold-War

very soon released

regards

maquez [Q-Net]

Looks cool Maquez, will definitely give it a shot when you release it.

I attempted to edit the mil_opcom.pbo and changed the reserve count for occupation (from 1 to 5) to promote the more realistic/defensive Opcom activity...

I believe repackaging ALiVE would be against their license (creative commons), however luckily for us Arma has plenty of less intrusive ways to get the job done:

// OPCOM module in editor is named west_opcom for this example
waitUntil {!isNil {west_opcom getVariable "startupComplete"}};
waitUntil {west_opcom getVariable "startupComplete"};

_handler = west_opcom getVariable "handler";
_tacom = [_handler, "TACOM_FSM"] call ALiVE_fnc_hashGet;
waitUntil {!isNil {_tacom getFSMVariable "_sectionsamount_reserve"}};
_tacom setFSMVariable ["_sectionsamount_reserve", 5];

Is there any particular reason why the opcom improvements keep getting pushed back? I understand the assymetrical was a big focus here recently (and its fantastic!), so I presume that would be the reason. I'm just kinda use to Hetman's style of a commander, where its a bit slower paced and little more defensive and realistic.

You keep saying you want it "more realistic", but you are actually asking for is militarily not realistic. However, it is largely a matter of personal preference so probably better done with a script such as bhaz kindly posted above.

For info, in Occupation mode the AI Commander puts the majority of his forces in defence, holds a representative amount in reserve and sends any remaining groups to secure objectives in his TAOR not yet held. You can slow down the speed of Profiles if you want it to be slower paced so it's quite possible to set up a slower, defensive battle with current settings.

We have no detailed plans for OPCOM improvements - the feature requests and ideas for different styles of AI Commander are no further than the conceptual stage, which is why it's pushed back while we focus on stabilisation and bug fixing for the 1.0 release.

You keep saying you want it "more realistic", but you are actually asking for is militarily not realistic. However, it is largely a matter of personal preference so probably better done with a script such as bhaz kindly posted above.

For info, in Occupation mode the AI Commander puts the majority of his forces in defence, holds a representative amount in reserve and sends any remaining groups to secure objectives in his TAOR not yet held. You can slow down the speed of Profiles if you want it to be slower paced so it's quite possible to set up a slower, defensive battle with current settings.

We have no detailed plans for OPCOM improvements - the feature requests and ideas for different styles of AI Commander are no further than the conceptual stage, which is why it's pushed back while we focus on stabilisation and bug fixing for the 1.0 release.

We will have to agree to disagree on what we consider realistic, but I really appreciate the detailed answer. Loving every second of alive none the less! Appreciate it guys.

Having planned and executed ops in the military I'm fairly confident I can speak from a position of authority on the matter of tactical dispositions. That said realism does not always translate into good gameplay and we need to be conscious of the ability to tailor ALiVE to individual preferences. We'll get around to it at some point but as I mentioned above, our focus is necessarily on getting over the 1.0 hurdle at the moment. Glad you're enjoying it though and please keep the feedback coming, it's all good stuff!

Can't believe I overlooked the readiness setting, does exactly what I need to do. Lol, whoops

I have had success with setting the hostility towards the insurgent side to be "High" and the hostility towards the defense force to be "Extreme". Insurgents start out with ambushes, ied's, assaults. After a little while they are setting up some Recruitment HQ's and expanding. Seems to spread pretty well while maintaining a lot of ambushes, ied's, and a lower insurgent count.

I'll also try to give that 'hit server save and exit then quit' thing in a little bit if I can.

Still having a difficult time getting anything out of these civilians. I have set their hostility to Blue (me) to Extreme, and to Green (allies) to Extreme and to the Insurgents (enemy) to High.

I'm not getting how the insurgents and the civilians work together or if at all to create suicide bombers and rogue shooters.

If I've set hostility across the whole map to my side to be Extreme, are the civilians in the areas that the insurgents aren't in going to do suicide attacks on me? Or do they need to work with insurgents to get weapons depots to do anything? Because right now all that ends up happening is he insurgents move into an area, do ambushes and assaults and then maybe a little while later they set up a recruiting HQ or depot. But its like the recruiting HQ is so high priority that it gets made so fast that the civvies just get used to replenish the ranks rather than doing the cool rogue shooter/suicide bomber stuff.

I'm using N'Ziwasogo btw and I've yet to see a single IED factory in probably 50 hours of runtime on the server using various combinations of hostility levels.

Is there a way for me to set really hostile villages manually?

Edited by I WUB PUGS

Pugs maybe try a stock BIS map (Stratis) and work out the kinks first... check out a demo mission or Grubes tutorial (see my sig). I've lost count on how many times I've been blown up by civs while testing :p

AFAIK there is no way to force greater hostility to certain areas. There is talk of having an option to start the mission with a full-fledged insurgency already running (instead of having to build up recruits) but this won't happen until post 1.0. Try setting only Extreme hostility towards you (BLUFOR) perhaps they'll all go for you then ;)

AFAIK there is no way to force greater hostility to certain areas.

There is ALIVE_fnc_updateSectorHostility but I've never used it myself