wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Once I hit "server save and exit" do I need to sit there and wait for it to finish or can I player exit as admin? The server is setup persistent so it will run without players present.

Anyone?

Okay how do I go about adding factions for your mod to recognize? Do I PM it to one of you or?

If they're configed properly they'll work - we don't need to do anything from the ALiVE end. If you want me to add them to the wiki for reference, just post it here!

Pugs - I have no idea. I've always just waited. Try it and see!

Didn't look like it went through. My mega build might have become too mega. Something like 250 objectives listed last time it saved and it gave some errors but finally went through. Last night it was all like "yeah bro, we're 'saving'" and just hung there.

Probably just gonna make some big blacklist markers for areas we've "cleared" multiple times now.

Also the first time I let the Assymetric run on its own overnight it basically gangraped the occupation AI, like real bad. Like the entire map turned red. Is it supposed to do that? I'm gonna shift to more IED and Suicide Bomber focus and less conventional. Been getting in massive gunfights and only one suicide bomber and no IEDs.

Should I just reset it with civilians set to EXTREMELY hostile towards BLUE?

Gonna edit my custom GREENFOR areas too to make them just sit on their bases.

Also the first time I let the Assymetric run on its own overnight it basically gangraped the occupation AI, like real bad. Like the entire map turned red. Is it supposed to do that? I'm gonna shift to more IED and Suicide Bomber focus and less conventional. Been getting in massive gunfights and only one suicide bomber and no IEDs.

Should I just reset it with civilians set to EXTREMELY hostile towards BLUE?

I have had success with setting the hostility towards the insurgent side to be "High" and the hostility towards the defense force to be "Extreme". Insurgents start out with ambushes, ied's, assaults. After a little while they are setting up some Recruitment HQ's and expanding. Seems to spread pretty well while maintaining a lot of ambushes, ied's, and a lower insurgent count.

I'll also try to give that 'hit server save and exit then quit' thing in a little bit if I can.

Okay how do I go about adding factions for your mod to recognize? Do I PM it to one of you or?

If you haven't seen it already:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Unit_Mod_Config_Standardisation

As Friz said as long as they follow the 'standard' BIS configs everything should work

Edited by SavageCDN
sp

I have had success with setting the hostility towards the insurgent side to be "High" and the hostility towards the defense force to be "Extreme". Insurgents start out with ambushes, ied's, assaults. After a little while they are setting up some Recruitment HQ's and expanding. Seems to spread pretty well while maintaining a lot of ambushes, ied's, and a lower insurgent count.

I'll also try to give that 'hit server save and exit then quit' thing in a little bit if I can.

Good to go. I'll likely have to reformat the mission to reflect this, which is fine, I can manually adjust the lines. Thanks for the info.

Once I hit "server save and exit" do I need to sit there and wait for it to finish or can I player exit as admin? The server is setup persistent so it will run without players present.

Just tested, appears you can. You just have to make sure that if you are shutting down the server once it is done saving, that you actually have to allot it enough time.

If you haven't seen it already:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Unit_Mod_Config_Standardisation

As Friz said as long as they follow the 'standard' BIS configs everything should work

Gotcha... I did that and the guy is still saying it's not "recognizing" them even though I started off with IND_F and followed the naming conventions, along with my mod, so I'll look over it again as I may have missed something obvious... thanks.

^ I'm more than useless with regards to this however I've heard that BIS group configs are mostly witchcraft ;)

If you can't make it work post back here and one of the devs will probably take a look

...We are using a database approach with callextension since MSO in A2. It also works if you want to play alone - setup a Warroom account (ofc its free) with your local IP and just run a local dedicated server (ergo the arma3server.exe with the same mods inclusing @ALiVEServer as arma3.exe). Connect to it: Win, you can even assign separate cpu cores for the server and the client, improving performance massively and taking of the load of your client. I really suggest you do that, thats also how I play most of the time -> Local dedi and client on same machine.

enjoy

This sounds amazing! Would it be possible to get a step by step on how to do this? With assigning cores and all?

I only play SP and my two biggest bummers are no persistance (never thought it was possible for just one person) and performance when working with lots of units spawned by ALiVE.

This sounds amazing! Would it be possible to get a step by step on how to do this? With assigning cores and all?

I only play SP and my two biggest bummers are no persistance (never thought it was possible for just one person) and performance when working with lots of units spawned by ALiVE.

There are plenty of tutorials out there. I personally find setting up a server with the TADST tool to be the simplest.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11655

Here is also a video on how to use the tool in it's basic form:

For setting the server to use certain cores, you could follow a tutorial like this http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/83632-processor-affinity-set-applications.html (Windows)

There are plenty of tutorials out there. I personally find setting up a server with the TADST tool to be the simplest.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11655

Here is also a video on how to use the tool in it's basic form:

For setting the server to use certain cores, you could follow a tutorial like this http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/83632-processor-affinity-set-applications.html (Windows)

Thanks!

I'm doing what the tutorial shows, but the mission won't load when trying to join the server. The program looks different now from the tutorial. Is it the same process for starting a server locally?

Edit: I can select the server in the LAN window and I get what looks like a regular loading screen, but nothing seems to be loading. I can ESC out of the screen back to the multiplayer menu.

It says Status: Creating in the server list.

Edited by EasyEB

Thanks!

I'm doing what the tutorial shows, but the mission won't load when trying to join the server. The program looks different now from the tutorial. Is it the same process for starting a server locally?

Edit: I can select the server in the LAN window and I get what looks like a regular loading screen, but nothing seems to be loading. I can ESC out of the screen back to the multiplayer menu.

It says Status: Creating in the server list.

Just things to that pop to mind that could be the cause,

- Make sure you are selecting a mission from the TADST mission window otherwise it won't load anything

- Make sure you have all of the mods loaded on the server that you are using for your client .. e.g. load ALiVE and CBA (and any other mods) on the server mod tab

Getting really into the Asymmetric stuff, pretty much how always wanted OFP to play out. I notice almost all of the local civilians, politicians, muezzin's etc start running when you get within a few feet of them even if youve won over their affections. What do you guys think about adding a couple layers before they break such as if player is pointing gun in there face rather than having it lowered -negotiations go down hill pretty fast when faced with that body language. Also, maybe a few conversation like animations played, a slow methodical one if things are going well, a faster more expressive one if they are pissed. Finally just have them walk away with them sprinting away being more extreme and a real red flag of danger and uncertainty.

So I have just started using ALIVE recently and I was wondering if there was any way to generate missions to go on or a way to gather intel on possible IED factories or recruitment centers with the asymmetric warfare mode?

So I have just started using ALIVE recently and I was wondering if there was any way to generate missions to go on or a way to gather intel on possible IED factories or recruitment centers with the asymmetric warfare mode?

Enabling the Auto task settings in the C2ISTAR module will generate tasks automatically for the sides that you choose to. They may not always be specific and currently a few are broken but should be fixed soon.

Intel is best gathered by talking to the civilians. It's a tedious task (and sometimes you have to RUN after them) but eventually someone will spill the beans.

Oh man, an update to the C2ISTAR module would be wonderful.

Getting really into the Asymmetric stuff, pretty much how always wanted OFP to play out. I notice almost all of the local civilians, politicians, muezzin's etc start running when you get within a few feet of them even if youve won over their affections. What do you guys think about adding a couple layers before they break such as if player is pointing gun in there face rather than having it lowered -negotiations go down hill pretty fast when faced with that body language. Also, maybe a few conversation like animations played, a slow methodical one if things are going well, a faster more expressive one if they are pissed. Finally just have them walk away with them sprinting away being more extreme and a real red flag of danger and uncertainty.

hey thanks for feedback!

Totally agree! This feature was added pretty at the end of the asym dev cycle, will improve it in those regards.

Intel is best gathered by talking to the civilians. It's a tedious task (and sometimes you have to RUN after them) but eventually someone will spill the beans.

Oh man, an update to the C2ISTAR module would be wonderful.

w... wu... wut? you can talk with civilians?? How?? :butbut:

Set their roles to "Western" or "Eastern" in the editor and when you walk up to them (or run like hell after them) an action to "talk to politician/town elder/whatever" comes up. Ones in a blue moon you will get an option to "Gather intel" and sometimes that shows insurgent locations on the map (take a note, the map location will fade away).

You can also search and/or arrest them.

Is there any good way to build up hearts and minds with the civilians? I know not pointing your gun at them and stuff like that but I was wondering what some of the more direct and indirect changes to their morale towards you are?

Please could someone help me out with the persistance? I cannt for the life of me get it working. When i click server save and exit the console comes up saying that its saving.. But doesnt save and also stays on that screen and doesnt move from it. Really would love to get this up and running but ive been trying on and off for months now with no success at all :(