wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Something I've never asked but have thought about a few times...

How does the Player Support module handle fuel? Like I've got a "battle taxi/rearm" helo and a medevac helo that I'll be using in a long campaign. What if they run out of fuel? I mean if they blow up they'll just respawn for me, but I'm wondering about fuel management.

Would like to know this too

How does the Player Support module handle fuel? Like I've got a "battle taxi/rearm" helo and a medevac helo that I'll be using in a long campaign. What if they run out of fuel? I mean if they blow up they'll just respawn for me, but I'm wondering about fuel management.
Would like to know this too

CAS choppers will refuel and rearm when they return to 'base' (their original start point). If you leave them hovering for hours they will run out of fuel.

Edited by SavageCDN

Update the first Post aswell so that you directly see which version is the latest :)

I'm guessing Wolffy.au has moved on or is away and since he was the thread starter they can't update it.

Is there any progress regarding linux support? We cant even give ALive a try and would love to benefit from the persistence feature. Hope we'll get this soon...

Im still having a really hard time getting any of the Asymmetric stuff working. even with low troop counts. just seems like nothing ever happens. sometimes enemy units never move.....looked at the mission provided copied it and pasted it in an other map and nothing. Anyone have a youtube tutorial cause Im not seeing one. Thanks

Im still having a really hard time getting any of the Asymmetric stuff working. even with low troop counts. just seems like nothing ever happens. sometimes enemy units never move.....looked at the mission provided copied it and pasted it in an other map and nothing. Anyone have a youtube tutorial cause Im not seeing one. Thanks

Would you by any chance have the Kunduz Map installed? I made a template for insurgency available here that you can look off of to make sure you have everything needed. It's on the Kunduz map though, so you must have it installed to view it. Am planning to make a non-Kunduz version soon.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ijs67w34fbye694/ALiVE+Insurgency+Kunduz.rar

So recently I noticed that when I try and spawn default NATO groups, it throws in some assets from RHS, Hunters mixed with HMMWVs and NATO troops mixed with Marines. Same deal with OPFOR, CSAT mixed with Russian stuff. But it doesn't do it in opposite, like when I put US Army units I don't get Hunters. Any idea what's going on? Or is this a ongoing issue?

Also, is there any plan to put in voices for the radio messages? Such as when you call in support you hear your character call over the radio like the vanilla support system?

I've messed with ALiVE for a bit now and managed to create a working scenario, but I was wondering how to make AI NOT return to areas that I've taking from them, basically making them defend an area, and then retreat and NOT come back to that area. Something along the lines on "Capture Altis" style mission, but with the AI only defending.

Edited by mal7house
2 letters.

So recently I noticed that when I try and spawn default NATO groups, it throws in some assets from RHS, Hunters mixed with HMMWVs and NATO troops mixed with Marines. Same deal with OPFOR, CSAT mixed with Russian stuff. But it doesn't do it in opposite, like when I put US Army units I don't get Hunters. Any idea what's going on? Or is this a ongoing issue?

Also, is there any plan to put in voices for the radio messages? Such as when you call in support you hear your character call over the radio like the vanilla support system?

They fixed this earlier, but with rhs 0.3.7 update they splitted us faction to 2010 and 2014 versions, and this messed up alive config. Its the same on mcc sanbox. I suggest that you disable rhs mod when you play with alive until rhs release 0.3.8, rhs will roll back to previous faction config on 0.3.8, it should fix this issue:-)

They fixed this earlier, but with rhs 0.3.7 update they splitted us faction to 2010 and 2014 versions, and this messed up alive config. Its the same on mcc sanbox. I suggest that you disable rhs mod when you play with alive until rhs release 0.3.8, rhs will roll back to previous faction config on 0.3.8, it should fix this issue:-)

Cool, thank you. I wonder why RHS even decided to split the US faction into 2010 and 2014 versions. There really is no difference between the two. Both IRL and in the mod.

Is there any progress regarding linux support? We cant even give ALive a try and would love to benefit from the persistence feature. Hope we'll get this soon...

Devs are awaiting a C++ developer to assist with persistence in Linux. Everything else should work however...

@aliveserver? how does this work and how does i set up on my wn dedicated server?? cant find any instructions on the wiki? not even sure what it does?

I've messed with ALiVE for a bit now and managed to create a working scenario, but I was wondering how to make AI NOT return to areas that I've taking from them, basically making them defend an area, and then retreat and NOT come back to that area. Something along the lines on "Capture Altis" style mission, but with the AI only defending.

Remove the Military AI Commander.

@aliveserver? how does this work and how does i set up on my wn dedicated server?? cant find any instructions on the wiki? not even sure what it does?

You only need @aliveserver if you want persistence in your missions. To get it working you'll need to register at:

www.alivemod.com/war-room

Instructions are there on how to set it up and test your connection to ensure things will get saved in your mission.

See here for more info:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/ALiVE_Data

Thanks for the reply :-)

@aliveserver typo found.

Addons folder is "Addins".:cool:

Or was it supposed to be that way?

Helvantis is having issues with groups spawning for both civilian and military objectives. Only the airfields appear to spawn units, everywhere else there are rare to no groups spawning.

Can anyone please point me towards (up-to-date) templates for Alive? I barely have time to play ARMA lately, so don't really want to spend all my free time reading (out-of-date) tutorials or watching (out-of-date) video's, featuring modules that aren't even used anymore.

I seen there is a Kunduz insurgency template, and I fired it up, but I'm not sure what I'm even meant to be doing. I just drove around (I didn't get any mission updates... maybe I broke that while trying to change factions?)

I found the 'Sample Missions' part of the Alive website, but when I tried the Zagrabad mission, It had modules marked 'Depreciated' and said not to use them. When I pressed Preview (in editor), it started with a bunch of errors, so I just closed it and assume it's not going to work because of all that.

Anyhow, has anyone collected a bunch of (still working) templates for basic Alive scenarios?

EDIT: Ok a different search phrase has found this kind of topic (started May 7) on the Alivemod.com Forum.

http://alivemod.com/forum/1059-mission-templates

There's a couple templates there, maybe more soon.

Edited by owmyeye

The wiki is up to date. Those templates on the forum sticky are current. As stated a number of times, we won't update the website missions anymore now until final release. I'm glad we can use our free time productively to save you so much effort.

tbh the joy of ALiVE is the mission building.... it's SO easy... please try and build a scenario yourself... piece of piss to get a kick-ass mission up and running.

Part of the reason there aren't millions of templates around is what's the point when a complete noob can build one in 15 minutes

You should see my custom nightmare for N'Ziwasogo. Three factions. About a dozen blacklist markers. Over 40 custom objectives. Something like 120 total objectives once the civilian objectives for Assymetric are included.

But yeah, it takes all of 5 minutes to make a functional mission. I plan on doing a simple insurgency for Kunduz that should be stupid easy to create. Also if you don't play with it, you won't learn it!!!

Also since ALiVE yelled at me about the number of objectives, can someone tell me exactly what the problem will be for the OPCOMs with like 120 objectives. My GREEN side is heavily invested in the custom objectives as I've set their values higher than pretty much any of the scanned objectives. However the Assymetric OPCOM is going after those 0 point towns and stuff to recruit. But total once you calculate the 40 customs and then the scanned towns it gives me the debug disclaimer. What's the big deal?

this mod its just awesome!!

but i have a question/suggeston, is posible to add a single player data module, that streams ongoing progression in a mission to a local file the same way as war room? f.eks \\D:ALiVE\insurgentsmission\datafile.sql (if they use .sql?) I know that i can set up a dedi server and stream to war room, but this is not a optimal solution for many single players out there. thanks in advance:-)

tbh the joy of ALiVE is the mission building.... it's SO easy... please try and build a scenario yourself... piece of piss to get a kick-ass mission up and running.

Part of the reason there aren't millions of templates around is what's the point when a complete noob can build one in 15 minutes

You know what, it's not nearly as easy as you say it is. Last time I looked at all this, I spent over an hour trying to set up a mission, because every single tutorial or video I found was out of date. Even the website tutorials had gaps! I had to come on here and ask if there was even a function to have tasks auto added (how I learned about c2istar.. or what ever it's called). That wasn't on the website, but some obsolete things were. The worst part about it was going through all the steps of a video or what not, then getting instructions on a module which doesn't even exist anymore!

So yeah, it might be easy if you get the right instructions, but if you land on one of the other far more numerous out-of-date tutorials or video's- you'll just wind up confused and frustrated about spending free time on nothing.

By the way, I do want to make my own missions. All I do when I play ARMA is make my own single player missions. That's why I asked for templates and not just plain missions. With a template I can start off just quickly tweaking things, but the more I use it, the more I will be familiar with the modules required... without having to alt-tab 100 times to go back and forward from a tutorial to add each piece in one at a time.

I'm off to go look at the wiki now.

It will happily chugg through 120 objectives, but it's gonna slow the cycle down each time it runs... I.e. you'll get less responsive OpCom reactions (IIRC)

It's also probably not that memory friendly... Is the mission compromised if you raise the filter threshold a little to ignore smaller objectives ? That's the best way.