wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Any word on Kunduz, Afghanistan working with ALiVE?

Any word on Kunduz, Afghanistan working with ALiVE?

It's on the list but unfortunately did not make it into 0.9.7... also updates for it are being released frequently so it's best to wait until that settles down a bit as the indexing usually has to be re-done on map updates.

http://dev.withsix.com/issues/76150

Where can I request someone to help me setup the ALiVE Persistence. I have yet to be able to make it work. ;-;

Hi Comrades!

I would like to share some more detailed information about the asymmetric warfare in ALiVE, as also shown on our WIKI!

Asymmetric Warfare is a command style for the Military AI Commander and differs from Occupation and Invasion in important ways. Insurgency commanders have different objectives, tactics and weapons. Their goal is to disrupt their enemy, destabilise the security situation and generally create havoc without becoming decisively engaged with security forces. They will employ tactics such as sabotage, hit and run attacks, roadblocks and IEDs. They will attempt to blend in with the civilian population in order to move weapons, explosives and suicide bombers to strategic locations. Thorough searching and monitoring of civilian activity can help reduce the threat.

An insurgency will typically start in a high threat or 'hot zone' (loosely equivalent to a military TAOR) and seek to spread out from there to conduct operations across the AO. The location of the AI Commander module will be the the centre of the insurgency zone and they will initially prefer secure unguarded installations nearby.

Armed Insurgent Cells

Insurgency cells will initially be created by the Mil Placement modules in the same as regular military groups are. The actions they subsequently take are dependent on enemy and friendly troop strengths, the size of the objective and civilian hostility to the faction. Large towns that are poorly guarded are likely to become recruitment centres for the growing insurgency.

Once established, the Asymmetric Warfare AI Commander will order his cells to conduct a number of activities in support of the insurgency, depending on the situation and current threats in the area.

Roadblocks - establishing roadblocks in controlled zones (the equivalent of a military TAOR) will enable insurgents to dominate the local civilian population and establish rudimentary defences against opposition forces.

[table=width: 1200]

[tr]

[td]

Civilians beeing recruited at a recruitment HQ

pa8DlqB.jpg

[/td]

[td]

A rogue shooter hiding in bushes

S1PsplH.jpg

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Weapons Depots - insurgents will attempt to cache ammunition and weapons at hidden locations throughout the AO, which will be used to equip newly recruited fighters.

IED Factories - IED making facilities will be established in hidden locations throughout the AO. IEDs are the insurgent's preferred method of attack on opposition forces.

Ambushes - Insurgents will attempt to ambush military patrols and convoys in the open, using a combination of IEDs or hit and run attacks.

Assaults - Raids on military outposts and patrol bases are one way insurgents can acquire new weapons and equipment.

Recruitment HQ - If the insurgents are allowed to establish a Recruitment HQ near to a civilian objective, they will recruit new armed fighters from amongst the civilian population.

Coercion - Insurgent cells will coerce disgruntled civilians into becoming suicide bombers, rogue shooters and saboteurs.

[table=width: 1200]

[tr]

[td]

Terror cell placing explosives at an ambush spot!

1OTsNSV.jpg

[/td]

[td]

Civilian approaching an insurgent weapons cache

RBMCqYj.jpg

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

As the armed insurgent cells complete objectives, the security situation will deteriorate and peaceful civilians are turned into hostile civilian insurgents. If there is an IED Factory, Weapons Depot or Recruitment HQ in the area, occasionally civilians will be coerced into to picking up weapons or explosives and sent on missions in support of the insurgency. Security forces can detect these civilian insurgents by monitoring their movements or stop and search.

Sabotage - insurgents will collect explosives from a Weapons Depot and set out to destroy or damage civilian infrastructure targets such as factories and power stations in order to destabilise the security situation. They will attempt to place 3 to 5 explosive charges near the building before moving to safe distance and detonating. If they are successful, this will have a high impact on the hostility level.

Rogue Shooters - coerced civilians will collect a gun from a Weapons Depot, then blend into the local civilian population until a security forces patrol shows up.

Suicide Bombers - similar to rogue shooters but spread themselves over a wider area.

Counter Insurgency is challenging and requires a different approach to regular operations. Intelligence is vital to Counter Insurgency and understanding how they work is important to start building up a picture of where, when and what they are doing.

Know The Enemy: Unlike conventional forces, insurgents will try to avoid becoming decisively engaged with security forces and will conduct sabotage and hit and run attacks whilst attempting to recruit new fighters. They will however occupy installations that are unguarded and set up factories, weapons depots and recruiting HQs. They will prefer to attack unguarded military and civilian installations that are close to the Insurgency AI Commander's HQ at first, but if they succeed and hostility remains high they will will start to conduct ambushes and raids on occupied installations. Tracking insurgency movements and identifying likely targets early will help Security Forces target their limited resources effectively.

Hearts & Minds: Security forces must maintain a patrol presence in towns to reduce hostility levels and ensure critical civilian infrastructure such as power stations, factories and fuel depots are guarded. Damage to civilians and their property must be avoided at all costs to prevent hostility increasing and the situation spiraling out of control, even when those same civilians may be harbouring insurgents! Security Forces can improve the situation by clearing the area of hostile forces, disarming IEDs or by finding and destroying IED factories, roadblocks, weapon depots and recruitment HQs.

Tracking down a weapons depot with an UAV

Stop & Search: Conducting stop and search of civilians will help Security Forces to interdict insurgents blending in with the population. Some civilians have special roles in the community, such as town elders, muezzins, priests and politicians. Treating them with due deference and the right "incentives" may help reduce hostility levels in the sector.

Intelligence: Security Forces should make extensive used of Advanced Markers, SPOTREPs and C2ISTAR reports to build up an intelligence picture of insurgency activity and locations of possible bomb making facilities, weapons caches and recruitment HQs.

Guarded roadblock

3teMMtF.jpg

Enjoy

Should i place the C2ISTAR Modul for gettint Intel where IED Factory and Ammo Caches and HQ is ?

Is it right ? I have to sync. AI Comander (Asymetric) with CQB, IED and Civ.Obj Modules, and set at all Modules presistent to "yes" ?

Greetings and thanks !!

When will Play With six be updated with the newest version?

The current version is 0.9.6.1509031

Where can I request someone to help me setup the ALiVE Persistence. I have yet to be able to make it work. ;-;

The instructions in the server set up page on the War Room have all the details you need, including the "sanity check" to confirm your server is syncing up properly. Then it's just a case of turning on persistence in the modules. If you're still struggling, make a post on our support forums and we'll talk you through which logs and rpt files we'll need to see to identify any issues.

Flex242 - full instructions how to set it up are in the wiki article linked at the top of the release post! Intel won't give you the exact locations of ammo caches etc, that'd be far too easy! It will show you roughly where the enemy is operating though, so you won't have to look far.

PWS will be updated when the PWS admins get around to it - nothing we can about that I'm afraid. They're busy chaps so give them some time :)

No i just thought, Intel show me in wich area i can find maybe a IED Factory, HQ or Ammo Cache ....

Ok i set presistent in all moduls to "yes", i think its right ?!

After a intense Firefight at a HQ, good Work !! But maybe there are some placement issues ?? Like in this picture here:

alive1pji5zot2nd_thumb.jpg

Is it usual to find IEDs in the HQ ?

Updated mod v0.9.7.1504081 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Updated mod v0.9.7.1504081 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

I'm having issues with the civilian modules spawning default civs instead of the units who's classnames I put in the module settings, can someone give me the exact format for the Force Faction line?

No i just thought, Intel show me in wich area i can find maybe a IED Factory, HQ or Ammo Cache ....

Ok i set presistent in all moduls to "yes", i think its right ?!

After a intense Firefight at a HQ, good Work !! But maybe there are some placement issues ?? Like in this picture here:

http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/thumbnail/alive1pji5zot2nd_thumb.jpg

Is it usual to find IEDs in the HQ ?

Hey mate!

Thanks for the feedback! Its pretty hard to have furniture beeing placed correctly in all possible buildings without compromising performance. The dynamic placement of furniture will be better in the next release when i optimized this!

And yes, its intended that you will find tables with IEDs on them in a HQ, thats fine (and they also wont go off (yet?) if you go near them)!

Enjoy

Highhead

Would love if someone could make a template, have a hard time getting it right

I'm having issues with the civilian modules spawning default civs instead of the units who's classnames I put in the module settings, can someone give me the exact format for the Force Faction line?

Hi!

Which faction did you enter (OPF_G_F, f.e.)?

HH

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

Would love if someone could make a template, have a hard time getting it right

We have a full Insurgency Mission mate!

Take a look at it!

Zovss - Did you check the module schematic on the wiki? http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Insurgency

Asymmetric is setup exactly the same as as normal: Mil Commander synced to Mil Placement (Civ/Mil/Custom as desired). You can then optionally sync a CQB and IED module to the AI Commander for additional effects. Everything else is the same as normal ALiVE.

Yeah i did try that, but on the screenshots you guys provided i i am able to see the HQ, factories and stuff, but i am not able to do that ingame, not even with marking units, profiling or anything.

Hey mate!

Thanks for the feedback! Its pretty hard to have furniture beeing placed correctly in all possible buildings without compromising performance. The dynamic placement of furniture will be better in the next release when i optimized this!

And yes, its intended that you will find tables with IEDs on them in a HQ, thats fine (and they also wont go off (yet?) if you go near them)!

Enjoy

Highhead

At first .... thanks for your answer. I have full respect for your Work, this projekt is Awsome and the dream of many Arma-Gamers !!

Yes they dont go off, in this situation it was good, because i was suddenly afraid, as is saw the IED, horrible ;)

I know in such a complexe projekt, few issues and bugs cant avoid.

In every HQ that i see, the placement had a big issue, its destroying a little bit the atmosphere. But the function works, blow up with a C4 and the HQ is history.

Good JOB Guys!!!

Edited by Flex242

Where can I find the change log for V0.9.7.1504081?

Where can I find the change log for V0.9.7.1504081?

Will add it shortly. Work kinda got in the way of most of the team today. Terrible thing work, I don't recommend it to anyone. Sadly not eating isn't an option, so needs must.

@Zovss - give it some time. Insurgents take a while to er...insurge (is that a word?)

Also, Hazey will release a version of his Insurgncy Redux using ALiVE Asymmetric shortly. Meanwhile I knocked up a quick example mission using the new version of ALiVE for editors to poke around in. Or players to play I suppose. How very progressive. Briefing notes on the map screen explain wtf is going on. Thanks to Hywel for Atlas Squad Manager.

Download Here.

Edited by friznit2

Hi!

Which faction did you enter (OPF_G_F, f.e.)?

HH

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

We have a full Insurgency Mission mate!

Take a look at it!

I'm trying to use the Afghan Civilians from Leight's Opfor, the classname is LOP_Afg_civ, but I'm new to Alive so I'm not sure if that's all I put in the faction classname box or if I should have brackets, commas, etc.

At first .... thanks for your answer. I have full respect for your Work, this projekt is Awsome and the dream of many Arma-Gamers !!

Yes they dont go off, in this situation it was good, because i was suddenly afraid, as is saw the IED, horrible ;)

I know in such a complexe projekt, few issues and bugs cant avoid.

In every HQ that i see, the placement had a big issue, its destroying a little bit the atmosphere. But the function works, blow up with a C4 and the HQ is history.

Good JOB Guys!!!

Hey mate!

Yeah, i was seeing it also in some occasions, but it was too short before the release to do a change and its not that critical that its worth a hotfix!

I am already working on it so expect a major improvement in the upcoming update, and in the meanwhile just blow the fuckRs up!

Have a blast, comrade!

Will add it shortly. Work kinda got in the way of most of the team today. Terrible thing work, I don't recommend it to anyone. Sadly not eating isn't an option, so needs must.

@Zovss - give it some time. Insurgents take a while to er...insurge (is that a word?)

Also, Hazey will release a version of his Insurgncy Redux using ALiVE Asymmetric shortly. Meanwhile I knocked up a quick example mission using the new version of ALiVE for editors to poke around in. Or players to play I suppose. How very progressive. Briefing notes on the map screen explain wtf is going on. Thanks to Hywel for Atlas Squad Manager.

Download Here.

I am not able to play the mission in the editor :P

I'm trying to use the Afghan Civilians from Leight's Opfor, the classname is LOP_Afg_civ, but I'm new to Alive so I'm not sure if that's all I put in the faction classname box or if I should have brackets, commas, etc.

Hi!

Everything is new to everyone in the first place, so welcome to ALiVE!

Please mind, that in the Military Placement module, Civilian Placement module synced to an OPCOM module there should be the same faction and side. It should ideally be EAST or WEST on those modules as those will be simulating the armed insurgents cells, im sure there is an EAST (armed) faction available in the mod you are using. Otherwise use OPF_G_F for the mil/civ placement modules as default in case nothing helps. In the Ambient Civilian Placement module enter the civilian mod faction name LOP_Afg_civ without commas (though it shouldnt interfere).

There is a WIKI where you can find additional hints and the basics of using ALiVE in your missions, including video tuts:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Mission_Editing

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Insurgency

Please report back if you have any issues (there will be issues, I promise :))

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

I am not able to play the mission in the editor :P

why? its running fine on my test.