wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Is there a quick and dirty way to have a force spawn in one TAOR and move to objectives in a completely different TAOR?

It's pretty easy to create a mission in which AI are spawned within a given TAOR, however I want them to have to travel some distance before taking objectives from a separate spawn area.

Opendome - the virtualise options are for any units not spawned by ALiVE. Mil Placement units will still be automatically profiled normally. Personally I prefer to use "Only Virtualise Synced Units".

Pd3 - You can use Mil Placement modules and AI Commander on Invasion mode. Have the first Mil Placement in the starting TAOR spawn some AI, making sure it covers at least one objective as a starting base (you can use a Custom Objective synced to the AI Comd for example). Place a second Mil/Civ/Custom Placement in a TAOR covering the distant objectives and set to Objectives Only (no spawning) and sync them all to the same AI Commander. AI will only spawn in the first location but will then move to capture all the other objectives.

Opendome - the virtualise options are for any units not spawned by ALiVE. Mil Placement units will still be automatically profiled normally. Personally I prefer to use "Only Virtualise Synced Units".

Pd3 - You can use Mil Placement modules and AI Commander on Invasion mode. Have the first Mil Placement in the starting TAOR spawn some AI, making sure it covers at least one objective as a starting base (you can use a Custom Objective synced to the AI Comd for example). Place a second Mil/Civ/Custom Placement in a TAOR covering the distant objectives and set to Objectives Only (no spawning) and sync them all to the same AI Commander. AI will only spawn in the first location but will then move to capture all the other objectives.

Ahh yes, so that's what I was missing.

The custom objective sounds like it will work as a solution, much appreciated, thanks for the help.

At the risk of sounding like a douche - any chance we can have less ALiVE propaganda within the game? What with the ALiVE splash screen, main menu logo, loading screen watermark, and now a large advert from some metal band on the main menu - isn't it getting a bit much for an AI mod (albeit an advanced one, but still not a total game modification mod that would warrant such usage of logos - even then I'd rather they weren't used at all).

Just passing the message on from myself and others.

/Rant over

Simply remove intro.pbo from your @ALiVE/addons folder.

(Technically it is classed as a total mod btw. But I quite understand that a bit of harmless branding is not to everyone's taste)

Removed intro.pbo - this only removes the band logo. Also, won't this be re-added by PwS on every update?

I've got nothing against harmless branding (that's what the little ribbon of mod logos at the main menu is for), but I do dislike mods that alter the appearance of the game and start adding their own large logos/watermarks on every loadscreen - it's rather obnoxious.

I agree with the branding and that there is no need for it.

Also how is it classed as a total game modification? It doesn't introduce any new content does it? Not even new textures for existing units. I don't see how it is any more of a total game modification than something like DAC is in what new content it introduces to the game. It doesn't fundamentally change how the game works, no offence as it is a good mod but it is basically a glorified AI spawning and patrol script.

By the way while I'm here I might as well ask, is there ever going to be the option to have an array of classnames that defines what can be spawned rather than having to blacklist everything you don't want? In my opinion Alive desperately needs this and it is a part of virtually every other AI spawning script.

Edited by clydefrog

There's rather more to ALiVE than AI spawning and random patrolling and if that's all you're using it for I rather think you're missing out but of course it's up to you how you want use it :)

Anyway, we're not here to argue the why's and wherefore's of BIS mod classification. It all seems rather bizarre to me too.

Whitelists could be an option. Please stick a feature request on DH and we can look into it.

Just my two cents... These guys carve out quite a bit of time each week of their personal time into this mod, without asking anything in return. Many hours, I'm sure, are spent at night after work and family obligations to ensure we have a fun, quality mod to enhance our entertainment experience.

IMO, if they want to add some branding, they deserve it. Outside of the workarounds for removing the intro, if the branding is still bothersome, one can always deactivate the mod.

But why brand? The people who see it have obviously downloaded the mod and enjoy it enough to use it, if every mod maker went with this line of thinking the menu screen would be full of adverts.

I'm not sure about it I'm just trying to think of a reason as to why people may be annoyed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by andy1

Awesome thanks bud! Thats what I thought but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't assuming :)

Just my two cents... These guys carve out quite a bit of time each week of their personal time into this mod, without asking anything in return. Many hours, I'm sure, are spent at night after work and family obligations to ensure we have a fun, quality mod to enhance our entertainment experience.

IMO, if they want to add some branding, they deserve it. Outside of the workarounds for removing the intro, if the branding is still bothersome, one can always deactivate the mod.

So do dozens if not hundreds of other modders on this forum.

Some of them have created even more ambitious projects than this, and never attempted to re-brand my entire game. RHS Escalation, for example.

The ALiVE splash screen alone was enough to make the point, and I was fine with that. Now it has become obnoxious.

So do dozens if not hundreds of other modders on this forum.

Some of them have created even more ambitious projects than this, and never attempted to re-brand my entire game. RHS Escalation, for example.

The ALiVE splash screen alone was enough to make the point, and I was fine with that. Now it has become obnoxious.

Totally agree with that.

with no offense intended and much respect for the alive team and their valuable work, i'm basically playing arma 3, not alive...the advertise in front of the main menu screen is too much...

Hello,

I made my first mission on Atlis, but Player Combat Logistics air drops take ages to come, like more than 15 minutes to get the drop...

The one I made before on Stratis, I usually get the drop in less than a minute... is it normal on bigger map that it takes so long ?

OK point taken chaps. Johari approached us after making a metal cover of ArmA's theme tune and we thought it would be nice to put it on the front page as a bit of fun for everyone. Clearly several people are unhappy with this so we'll remove it in the next update. In the meantime, you can delete the intro.pbo to make it go away.

fafafou: Altis is a massive resource hog and will tend to slow scripts down a lot, and of course there's a lot further for the replacements to travel before they get to you.

There seems to be some misunderstanding. To clarify, the issue is not with the metal cover of ArmA's theme tune (I like the music ;) ). The issue is with ALiVE adding branding logos/watermarks/splashscreens:

...adding their own large logos/watermarks on every loadscreen - it's rather obnoxious.
why brand? The people who see it have obviously downloaded the mod and enjoy it enough to use it, if every mod maker went with this line of thinking the menu screen would be full of adverts.

with no offense intended and much respect for the alive team and their valuable work, i'm basically playing arma 3, not alive...the advertise in front of the main menu screen is too much...

As I mentioned earlier, the built-in mod ribbon at the main menu (bottom) is more than sufficient for displaying a mod's logo.

With respect,

Goodson

P.S

If you were referring to removing just the band's logo on the main menu, then please ignore the above and thanks for taking in our feedback :)

Edited by MisterGoodson

fafafou: Altis is a massive resource hog and will tend to slow scripts down a lot, and of course there's a lot further for the replacements to travel before they get to you.

Can it be improved by reducing TAOR and ignoring also medium objectives ? I guess having a dedicated server (instead of running the server on the same computer I'm playing) could help ?

It doesn't fundamentally change how the game works, no offence as it is a good mod but it is basically a glorified AI spawning and patrol script.

I think someone needs to read the manual ;)

Can it be improved by reducing TAOR and ignoring also medium objectives ? I guess having a dedicated server (instead of running the server on the same computer I'm playing) could help ?

Yes dedicated will help a lot.. as you mentioned try setting it to ignore small or small/medium objectives

PS: why the sudden hate on the loadscreen? It's been there since the first release...

Edited by SavageCDN

...dare I say it - because everything else is working well ? :-)

...dare I say it - because everything else is working well ? :-)

LOL.. it's a trick.. get an axe.

Have to say I've had a cracking time since 0.95...

Really effective re-enforcement as an example - you take the town. Think it's safe, start mopping up and disposing of abandoned vehicles then the MSS team scream over comms "TANK COLUMN !!!! APPROACHING FAST" Love it.

SJ

I like the load screen logo. It's always been there, I'd miss it if it was gone.

People that dont like the splash screen and what else i got pro tip! Close your eyes all the way pass the loading screen and until you join a server!:yay:

To the alive team keep up the good work!;)

It seems my ArmA3 server crashes with ALiVE enabled. Just sefault, no particular errors. Seems to be happening after 2-3 hrs of play and then bam, we need to start again.