wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Hi guys and thanks SpyderBlack - you're on the money as usual! The Asymmetric Warfare mode for OPCOM needs quite a bit more work before it's in a stable enough state to be released. We are testing some elements of it and I'll be updating the wiki from time to time as it coalesces. OPCOM strategic enhancements, such as different commander 'personalities & preferences' are planned but it's not a core feature and is quite likely to be pushed back to a future iteration.

The "infinite loadscreen" bug typically happens when OPCOM fails at init, either because it can't find any groups to in the addon config or because there are no objectives in the TAOR. It's supposed to throw up an error to let you know what the problem is, but that's apparently bust in the current version. If in doubt, try loading the mission with vanilla units then add your favourite mod.

Hi guys and thanks SpyderBlack - you're on the money as usual! The Asymmetric Warfare mode for OPCOM needs quite a bit more work before it's in a stable enough state to be released. We are testing some elements of it and I'll be updating the wiki from time to time as it coalesces. OPCOM strategic enhancements, such as different commander 'personalities & preferences' are planned but it's not a core feature and is quite likely to be pushed back to a future iteration.

The "infinite loadscreen" bug typically happens when OPCOM fails at init, either because it can't find any groups to in the addon config or because there are no objectives in the TAOR. It's supposed to throw up an error to let you know what the problem is, but that's apparently bust in the current version. If in doubt, try loading the mission with vanilla units then add your favourite mod.

I figured I should atleast try to help a few people since I use your guys' mod so much. I also just read those updates on the wiki. Sounds like it's coming along great and I can't wait for 1.0 if it manages to sneak in there. Keep up the great work!

I'm having an issue with the missions I'm making. Our team set up Alive on our dedicated (works with default alive missions) however when I make a mission which works in MP (using evolveHQ) with my team mates it works fine. The database module is placed down. When we try to join on the dedicated we get stuck at loading screen and you can hear the mission starting with people dying and water splashing etc.... in which to get out of you need to restart game... any thoughts?

Typically this is due to either a badly indexed map, a custom unit addon without any groups defined or your server is not set up correctly for data. The rpt file should help to narrow down what the issue is, otherwise you can try switching to a vanilla faction/map to troubleshoot where the problem lies. The next update will have a few more fail safes and hopefully give a bit more useful feedback for when errors happen.

Let me get this straight:

Make the mission >

Use vanilla factions like CSAT etc >

Save >

Run the mission, it SHOULD load >

Change factions to desired Mod >

Run Mission.

??

Hi again,

I tested the save option combined with the Warroom. Great feature and it works but some things are not clear to me.

I started the mission, took a car and drove with that around the map. Saved the mission, startet that mission again and the car was there where I left it.

Then I took another car, drove to some enemies, left the car and killed some russians (RHS mod) and destroyed a russian APC. After I saved, I exited the mission and restarted it, no destroyed APC and no killed russians where there, where I shot them. But I found again the car where I left it.

Also after I shot a tyre of a russian APC and saved/restarted the mission were no car when I got back to the point where I shot it. Not even in the near were any car.

What was also saved are the tasks I created with C2iStar, that´s great.

So what will be saved and what not?

RAINF - yes. That will help you diagnose whether the issue is the unit addons, the map, or ALiVE causing the problem. We necessarily test internally in vanilla only as there are so many addon combinations out there it would be impossible for us to test them all ourselves.

CommanderX - the wiki explains how persistence works. Destroyed vehicles/units will not get saved to the database and besides, they are cleared up by the Garbage Cleaner for performance reasons anyway. This is not a 100% savegame like in single player. Trying to do that simply crashes ArmA!

Okay, but killed units will be subtracted from the enemy forces?

For example I have roundabout 40 Infantry and 2 tanks spawned in a town from ALiVE. I killed 12 infantry, destroyed both tanks and save the mission. After reloading the mission the 12 infantry and 2 tanks I killed/destroyed are again inside the mission or not?

Yes absolutely - all those units spawned by ALiVE are managed by the Virtual AI System and persisted accordingly.

Super, great to hear :) Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

ehm.... one more question.

If ALiVE sets roadblocks, will they be always at the same position when reloading the mission?

I would like to carry out an operation where small teams spy out enemy positions and then a day or two later (in real life) the main battle is fought out. This makes of course no sense if something like roadblocks are somewhere else on the map than before.

Yes they should stay in the same location.

Edit: apparently I'm wrong. Roadblocks are currently not persistent. Feature planned!

Edited by friznit2

I see that panthera is indexed for ALIVE but when I launch my mission a weird thing happens where im looking at the loading screen still but I can hear my self running around or getting shot at. Has anyone got a working panthera mission with ALIVE?

Thanks!

Yep I have a working Panthera mission (back from when it was first indexed)... are you still having issues with it?

Having a slight issue with a mission all works apart from the Intel - I have this to show every 2 Min but after 30min still not getting any Intel ?

Could it be the volume of AI ?

^ Intel is still bugged I believe the fix is coming in the next patch however.

rpt file

18:28:10 Error in expression <e getvariable["minTG", 2];

_minsettg = parseNumber _mingettg;

if (_minsettg ==>

18:28:10 Error position: <parseNumber _mingettg;

if (_minsettg ==>

18:28:10 Error parsenumber: Type Number, expected String

18:28:10 File x\alive\addons\sys_viewdistance\fnc_vdist_init.sqf, line 9

im only getting about maybe 100m view distance and when i go to change it thats the error that shows up i had just changed something in the mission recently when this started to happen.

anyone seen this before?

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

intel is currently bugged 1PARA{God-Father}

Hello,

So new to ALiVE, just getting started with it but i noticed that every time I exit the mission to go back to edit I see a "Mission Exit" screen that I have to wait until it completes. I've searched forums and Google and have only found two posts were the same user asked this exact question (in this thread actually) and I couldn't find a reply so figured it was time to ask it again.

So, is it possible to disable the "mission exit" screen? The mission I am currently working on isn't going to use ALiVE since I'm still very new to it.

Thanks

Hello,

So new to ALiVE, just getting started with it but i noticed that every time I exit the mission to go back to edit I see a "Mission Exit" screen that I have to wait until it completes. I've searched forums and Google and have only found two posts were the same user asked this exact question (in this thread actually) and I couldn't find a reply so figured it was time to ask it again.

So, is it possible to disable the "mission exit" screen? The mission I am currently working on isn't going to use ALiVE since I'm still very new to it.

Thanks

Simply don't use the "Mission Exit" feature and continue using "Abort" from the standard Arma 3 menu. "Mission Exit" is used for persistence on servers and missions that have it enabled.

Simply don't use the "Mission Exit" feature and continue using "Abort" from the standard Arma 3 menu. "Mission Exit" is used for persistence on servers and missions that have it enabled.

Hi,

Im not using any of three alive menu options, I am clicking the default Arma abort button.

Hi,

Im not using any of three alive menu options, I am clicking the default Arma abort button.

Came back here just to tell you I misunderstood your question, looks like you beat me to it.

Came back here just to tell you I misunderstood your question, looks like you beat me to it.

:D Those email alerts :P (I'll forget to check if I don't have it annoy me lol)

Any ideas?

ALiVE is hands down one of the best mods that ever hit arma, makes mission making so much easyer you can make a playable mission in matter of minutes and of top of that you can change that mission by just syncing the opcom to diffrent stuff to change the whole way the mission work.

On that note i have a problem that i hope somone can help me with, for some reason it looks like there are only german commanders (opcoms) because they are all using blitzkrieg tactics :confused: .

In my mission (takistan map) i have US in the south and enemy in the north, and they are fighting for control of the central part of the map witch works, the US is also synced to the enemy base so they can attack that to, but this is where i have a problem, the US will in matter of 1 or 2 hrs have steamrolled everything and everyone. Even when i make the US only go up to ifv's and enemy have armor.

So what i did to try to "fix" this is that i only synced both opcoms to the central civ marker so they would fight it out only in the middle of the map, but that led me to a new problem, now both opcoms use way to few units even when both are on invation. They have tons of units station inside the taof marker but dont send them out to fight. So really my question is what defines how many groups the opcom will send to attack or defend an objective? tried using custom obj. to set size and priority to 999 but didnt really do much still just sent a couple of groups.

Im trying to set this up as a persistent mission that could be up for a couple of days without anyone "winning".

OPCOM will only use 4 to 6 groups per objective and keep the rest of his forces in reserve. If you want to create a massive melee in the middle, try placing a few of additional custom objectives around the place, leave them 'empty' and set their prior/size the same. OPCOM should start to send more groups out to 'capture' these as well as the main map objective.

On a separate note, modern tactics actually take a lot of lessons from Blitzkrieg. Speed and aggression to get inside the enemy's OODA loop, if you must know! See recent conventional conflicts for plenty of reference material. That aside, we do plan to add some different commander personality/profiles in the future, so you could choose a more Cautious Commander or an Aggressive Impetuous one who commits all his forces at once.

OPCOM will only use 4 to 6 groups per objective and keep the rest of his forces in reserve. If you want to create a massive melee in the middle, try placing a few of additional custom objectives around the place, leave them 'empty' and set their prior/size the same. OPCOM should start to send more groups out to 'capture' these as well as the main map objective.

On a separate note, modern tactics actually take a lot of lessons from Blitzkrieg. Speed and aggression to get inside the enemy's OODA loop, if you must know! See recent conventional conflicts for plenty of reference material. That aside, we do plan to add some different commander personality/profiles in the future, so you could choose a more Cautious Commander or an Aggressive Impetuous one who commits all his forces at once.

That custom object idea was great works like a charm (made me feel kinda stupid not thinking of it :P).

The OPCOM is really good at deploying tactis, so you all did a great job of teaching them, i did a couple of priviews where i just watch from zeus to see how everything is working. And when you are using static logistics the OPCOM uses blitzkrieg tactis to get to the main supply point and capture it to "win" the war. Then i did another one with dynamic this time the OPCOM went for the biggest and kept going for the next biggest supply point until he takes them all.

But yeah the more than one custom object made my mission the way i want it to be, now i can have both sides fight in the center with a decent force and keep on fighting to the supply limit runs out.

Thank you! :D

I am looking to finish an Insurgency style mission (mainly CQB units) - no issue here, however, when I select and use my TAOR marker to populate the surrounding Towns with patrols etc it spawns 6-8 Tanks (most of the time)......my question is: Can I spawn units without the heavy Armor?

I have selected Spec-Ops as the Primary weighting in the drop down menu (I am using regular CSAT troops).

Regards - REAPER

Hi Reaper - You could try setting the Armoured spawns to 0 in the placement module (below where you set primary weighting under Overrides)

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Military_Placement_(Military_Objectives)

You could also blacklist certain unit types although I think that would be more work

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Military_Placement_(Military_Objectives)#Custom_Unit_Blacklists