wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Okay. Is Linux ever going to be supported? Many groups use Linux servers. That was somewhat surprising to hear.

It works fine with supported terrains either way. We can just make missions in those terrains for now.

hey gdent!

Updated Bornholm and Panthera will be in upcoming update.

Its hopefully the next days, latest version is currently in testing!

latersh guys

And Linux server is on the roadmap (has been for a while). Hopefully we'll get around to it soon!

I appreciate it every time, guys. Thanks a lot. I'll wait it out for Bornholm and I'll give lots of love to the actually supported maps in the meantime.

Hi all, just started playing ALIVE and have a question I hope someone can answer.

I want to create a static artillery battery that an OPCOM can use to hit nearby targets threatening the position.

Is it possible to place units in the editor using the regular in-game method but somehow place them under OPCOM control?

Thanks

Hi all, just started playing ALIVE and have a question I hope someone can answer.

I want to create a static artillery battery that an OPCOM can use to hit nearby targets threatening the position.

Is it possible to place units in the editor using the regular in-game method but somehow place them under OPCOM control?

Thanks

You can do this, all the info on how exactly is in the ALiVE wiki. The wiki has tonnes of useful info on all aspects of ALiVE. I suggest there first then if you are still struggling post here for help. Cheers.

^^

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Military_AI_Commander

By default, AI Commanders will take command of all available virtual units (profiles) for its faction. To limit Commanders to a set number of units, manually place some units in the editor and Sync (F5) them to the Virtual AI System module with appropriate settings to ‘convert’ them to profiles. Make sure you select Objectives Only on the Placement Module to prevent it spawning any units!

I routinely make missions that have placed AI and ALiVE-created groups. The placed units can be profiled by changing the setting in the profile module. Renamed the "Virtual AI System".

Units and Groups can be explicitly Excluded or Included from Profiles by Synchronising (F5) to the Virtual AI module. The behaviour of the module can be configured in the drop down menus. It is not recommended to profile units that you need to be in an exact location or facing such as static guns in a bunker.

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Virtual_AI_System

I generally leave it at default which is "profile synced units" so my special troops in defensive positions are unsynced and thus not profiled. If you have some units in a defensive position and you have them manually crouching then I'm not sure if you profile them if the ALiVE AI will override your command and perhaps have them walk off or something.

But if you want to have a specific number of groups with specific types of men/vehicles then you can manually place them and depending on how many you place, you can change the profiler from profiling synced or unsynced. For example if you were to place something like 200 groups, it would probably be easier to set that to "profile unsynced units" unless you wanted to drag the sync line 200 times.

----------------------------------------------

Troop Transport Mission - HOW to get success!

----------------------------------------------

Here's a temporary problem I have with an ALiVE auto-generated task regarding transporting troops from point A to point B. And I offer a temporary solution to the problem, until BIS or the ALiVE team can fix the problem.

--------

Problem: In the auto-generated tasks, the "Troop Transport" mission often fails because not all the troops will get out of your vehicle.

--------

First, I need to explain what I *think* is happening to cause mission failure. I could be wrong about this . . . but here goes my "layman's" (ie non-programmer) guess as to what's happening.

1) If you pilot a ghosthawk, one or two of the troops won't get out. I think this is because 1 or 2 troops get into a gunner position, and the game keeps 1 (or 2) gunners with the helo. This could explain why one of the transport troops won't get out of the helicopter at the destination LZ. Thus, the mission fails.

2) If you take a HEMTT truck, most of the troops get out. But even with the HEMTT truck, I've still seen 1 or 2 troops that wouldn't get out. I think I know why. The problem is the 2 FFV [Fire From Vehicle] positions in the back of the HEMTT truck.

In the BIS forums, I've seen discussion with the game developers that in order to make FFV positions on vehicles . . . in the code, those positions are essentially "gun turrent positions". So even in a HEMTT truck, if the AI transport troops climb into 1 of those 2 back seats . . . they are using a FFV [gun turrent] position. And the AI in those gunner positions are *probably* programmed to stay in the vehicle. Think about it. If the AI troops are given orders to exit a helicopter, you don't want the AI gunners to exit the helicopter. You just want the troops to exit the helo. Well, according to the game code, those FFV spots [in any vehicle] are essentially just "gun turrent" positions. So 1 or more of the transport troops will refuse to exit the truck/helo, because they think they are "gunners" the moment they climbed into those spots on the vehicle. Thus, you get a mission failure from ALiVE until they get out of the vehicle at the destination waypoint, but they won't EVER get out, because they're gunners.

---------------

Temp Solution. And I'm pretty sure most people won't enjoy this temp solution, since live players usually want to be the pilot. But until ALiVE or BIS can fix this problem/bug . . . here is a temporary fix:

---------------

A) Call an AI ghosthawk transport helo to pick YOU up using the support services system. The transport ghosthawk already has 2 AI gunners in the helo. Get in the helicopter as a passenger, and then tell the AI Ghosthawk to land at the "pickup location" to get the AI transport troops.

B) At the pick-up waypoint, ALL the AI transport troops will climb into the back of the ghosthawk [next to you] as passengers. Mission success on pickup.

C) Instruct the AI ghosthawk pilot to fly to, and land at, the "destination" waypoint.

D) When the ghosthawk lands, all the AI troops will exit the helo, and you WILL get mission success, even though you're a passenger instead of the pilot.

Possible flaw: The AI aren't always the best pilots. So the ghosthawk could get shot down by AA missiles.

To reduce problems with this flaw, you can use the "move" waypoint to carefully move the ghosthawk from one fairly safe location to the next, waypoint-by-waypoint. Second, you can instruct the pilot to fly low instead of medium or high altitude.

Other than that, you're still just taking a risk with the AI ghosthawk pilot skill while flying in enemy territory.

Of coarse, if you have a co-op game server and you have enough live players, then you can just have the live players take all the "gunner" and/or "FFV" [Fire From Vehicle] positions BEFORE you pick up the troops. That way, they don't get stuck in one of those positions on the vehicle.

That's my 2 cents.

-V

Thanks for pointing those issues out with firing from vehicles, I think we have a fix in the next release which should make those missions working again.

Thanks for pointing those issues out with firing from vehicles, I think we have a fix in the next release which should make those missions working again.

Fantastic ARJay. Thanks! Would you know if a "pilot career" module is in the works for ALiVE?

Some of the guys in my group LOVE flying helicopters in ALiVE. But they'd love to get a series of helicopter missions.

• Downed helicopter rescue of pilot/gunner/troops. (combat zones)
  • Supply sling-load pickup & drop off in safe zones (ie non-combat zones).
  • HVT transport (Generals/Commanders/etc.) from point A to point B. (Combat or non-combat zones)
  • Troop insertion (combat zones).
  • Troop transport (non combat zones).
  • Combat attack helicopter missions (using the Blackfoot/Apache/Cobra or other attack helos) against troops/armor.

You get the idea. A pilot mode where you need to fly different types of missions, from combat missions to non-combat in "safe zones".

Edited by heyvern69

^^

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Military_AI_Commander

I routinely make missions that have placed AI and ALiVE-created groups. The placed units can be profiled by changing the setting in the profile module. Renamed the "Virtual AI System".

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Virtual_AI_System

I generally leave it at default which is "profile synced units" so my special troops in defensive positions are unsynced and thus not profiled. If you have some units in a defensive position and you have them manually crouching then I'm not sure if you profile them if the ALiVE AI will override your command and perhaps have them walk off or something.

But if you want to have a specific number of groups with specific types of men/vehicles then you can manually place them and depending on how many you place, you can change the profiler from profiling synced or unsynced. For example if you were to place something like 200 groups, it would probably be easier to set that to "profile unsynced units" unless you wanted to drag the sync line 200 times.

Thank for the explanation, I understand now :)

Fantastic ARJay. Thanks! Would you know if a "pilot career" module is in the works for ALiVE?

Some of the guys in my group LOVE flying helicopters in ALiVE. But they'd love to get a series of helicopter missions.

• Downed helicopter rescue of pilot/gunner/troops. (combat zones)
  • Supply sling-load pickup & drop off in safe zones (ie non-combat zones).
  • HVT transport (Generals/Commanders/etc.) from point A to point B. (Combat or non-combat zones)
  • Troop insertion (combat zones).
  • Troop transport (non combat zones).
  • Combat attack helicopter missions (using the Blackfoot/Apache/Cobra or other attack helos) against troops/armor.

You get the idea. A pilot mode where you need to fly different types of missions, from combat missions to non-combat in "safe zones".

Great ideas there, I have been wanting to expand on the logistics side of the tasks, your list makes a great todo list for the next round of tasks to be built, thanks again.

I am sorry it was propably asked, but I can't find anwser (so many posts), will there be some module that will add static wepaons, like I have military placement, and option to add static wepaons, so there are HMG on the towers or in bunkers, AA placements in bases etc.? In civ. placement maybe roadblocks with HMG or inside buildings?

Similar requests here: http://dev.withsix.com/issues/74163

It's not on the roadmap currently though. Meanwhile you can use the Military Placement (Custom Objectives) module to place bases with static weapons included. In upcoming releases, there will be an option to automatically spawn these in wilderness areas of the map plus randomly generated roadblocks as part of the early work on Insurgency.

quick question, How do i open the alive menu in game when i have the correct item to use supports?

If you have an "app" key on your keyboard, it would be inbetween the right alt, and right ctrl keys. Mine has an icon of a piece of paper and an arrow.

That is the default. If you don't have that, you can remap custom key 20 in game to whatever you want.

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#How_do_I_bring_up_the_ALiVE_menu_.28Combat_Support_.2F_Admin_Actions_.2F_View_Distance_etc.29.3F

alive_logo_bif.jpg

alivemod.com

The next generation dynamic persistent campaign for ArmA3

Release 0.9.4

Compatibility & Enhancements

This release is a minor update to ensure continued compatibility with ArmA 3 Stable patches, popular mods (CUP, RHS, etc) and to start to introduce some of the early insurgency features. This release includes support for the very popular Bornholm map and IceBreakr's Panthera for A3. We have add an IED module to provide ambient IED and VB-IED as well as adding Roadblocks to Civilian Placement module to allow missions makers to build insurgency-like missions. This is the first step towards a fully integrated insurgency system which ultimately will allow Military AI Commanders to execute insurgent style tactics and strategy. And finally we've also added an option to Military Placement modules to create random camps in the wilderness away from existing built up areas. As usual you'll find a bunch of bug fixes and improvements too as we implement some of the new array commands and code optimisations provided by BIS. Server admins be sure to get the new @ALIVEServer plugin too!

EZIzq7Q.jpg

Please note, in case you have an issue loading a mission done with a previous version of ALiVE, delete and replace the modules in that mission. We have left the old modules hidden in the background to give you time to transition over but please update your missions as soon as possible. The legacy modules will be removed in an upcoming release!

Se0GX9d.jpg

War Room

The team has continued work on the Ops Centre, which will enable commanders to track and manage campaigns from the War Room. Current plans include near real time tracking of players, live intel feeds and an After Action Review feature as well as web based Command & Control tools integrated with those we already have in game. If you've not done so already, register with us now and start taking advantage of ALiVE mission persistence and battlefield data feeds. Please note, that the former @Arma2NET folder for registered servers is now consolidated to @ALiVEServer!

Join Up Now!

We highly recommend updating your server with the latest @ALiVEServer folder from the release package or re-downloading it from WarRoom Server Setup page. It includes some important fixes!

Download Now!

Grab the latest version from ALiVEmod.com

Also available from PlayWithSix and ArmAholic.

Manual

Please refer to the ALiVE Wiki. It is not the prettiest but it has all the info you need. If anything is missing or unclear, please let us know by submitting a ticket on our Development Tracker and we'll look to fix it.

Support Forum

For direct support and feedback from the ALiVE dev team, join us on Skype or sign up to the forum on our website: http://alivemod.com/forum/

Release Highlights

• Bornholm indexed for ALiVE
  • Panthera indexed for ALiVE
  • Compatibility for CUP
  • Compatibility for RHS (improved)
  • IED Module added to provide ambient IED and VB-IED threat
  • Roadblocks added to Civilian Placement module
  • Random Wilderness Camps added to Military Placement module
  • Updated @ALiVEServer plugin for improved performance and reliability
  • Major fix for Server Exit and Save based on BIS changes in 1.32 and subsequently reverted in 1.34
  • Improved support and compatibility for Iron Front
  • Lots of bug fixes and performance improvements

Changelog

[ALL] Added final updates to MIL IED

[ALiVEServer] New Plugin, update your @ALiVEServer folder

[ALiVEServer] Updated DLL to be compatible with placing alive.cfg in arma 3 root dir

[AMB CIVs | SYS Profile] Fixed ALiVE_SpawnRadius was overwritten by heli / jet! Spawn radii are available with AliVE_SpawnRadius, ALiVE_SpawnRadiusHeli, ALiVE_SpawnRadiusJet, AliVE_SpawnRadiusCiv, ALiVE_SpawnRadiusCivHeli, ALiVE_SpawnRadiusCivJet

[C2ISTAR / Player resupply] Made only left click on map place markers. https://dev.withsix.com/issues/75585

[CIV MP] Integrated Roadblocks to CIV MP, adding option to spawn profiles

[combatsupport] altered bm21 range values

[combatsupport] support added for RHS artillery units

[Compositions] Removed duplicate static AA Launcher (Hazey)

[DEMO] Cleaned up demo folder

[iNDEXES] Full index of Panthera3 by IceBreakr https://dev.withsix.com/issues/75739

[indexes] Fix for Bornholm index

[iron front] Indexed omaha beach, tweaked config mappings, assigned logistics transport vehicles

[Main] Added Panthera3 Entry to staticData.

[main] Static data prep for CUP factions mappings

[MAIN | XLIB] Reverted funny workarounds for serverCommandAvailable since BIS deployed the fix finally! Persistence saving restored! Changed method of waiting for last player/admin from ALiVE_player_count to BIS_fnc_ListPlayers

[MAIN] Added OPCOM to loadingscreen

[MAIN] Fixed missing ; in testcase

[main] fixes for RHS group mappings

[MIL CIV AMB CIV Placement] Tweaked default values if no module is provided, Fixed bug where default value wasnt used

[MIL CIV CUSTOM PLACEMENT] Added Readiness Level to Placement modules http://dev.withsix.com/issues/74094

[MIL COMMAND] Fix for vehicle patrol radius was too small! http://dev.withsix.com/issues/75615

[MIL COMMAND] Resync of ambientMovement due to GIT error

[MIL COMMAND] Resync of AmbientMovement due to GIT error done

[MIL CQB] Changed all _arr set [count, _val] to new pushback command to optimize performance

[MIL IED] Added MIL IEDs (see dev changelog for dev details)

[MIL MP] Removed old temp clusters of Bornholm

[MIL MP] Fixed wrong stringtable entry

[MIL MP] Camps in the wilderness http://dev.withsix.com/issues/74933

[MIL OPCOM] Improved performance in OPCOM drastically by optimizing some checks! Removes stuttering in SP with higher objectives counts!

[MIL OPCOM] Added create and destroy! Added automated test! Fixed _profileIDs error! Fixed createhashobject didnt create a hash (WTF?!)

[MIL OPCOM] Added nil check for profiles (potential nil value could be passed)

[MIL OPCOM] Changed all _arr set [count, _val] to new pushback command to optimize performance!

[MIL OPCOM] Fixed operation "pause" did not work properly if it was called too early (f.e. from within a trigger)

[MIL OPCOM] Improved automated test

[MIL OPCOM] Made default setting of ambient movement only for vehicles/air

[MIL OPCOM] Reset active commands if orders are set!

[MIL_CQB] Added create and destroy, added automated test

[MODULETEMPLATE, SYS NEWSFEED, SYS PATROLREP, SYS PLAYER, SYS PLAYERTAGS, SYS SITREP, SYS SPOTREP, SYS VD] Changed to emptyInit function (fixed warnings)

[sYS ADMINACTIONS] Changed to emptyInit function (fixed warnings)

[sYS CREWINFO] Changed to emptyInit function (fixed warnings)

[sYS GC] Updated Stringtable with "turn off" Info

[sYS GC] Added option to disable GC if cleanup iteration is set to 0 or below. Handling startup differently including using init function. Improved Destroy operation to exit FSM! Added automated test!

[sYS GC] Changed to emptyInit function (fixed warnings)

[sYS LOGISTICS] Changed to emptyInit function (fixed warnings)

[sYS LOGISTICS] Improved destroy operation! Using initfunction! Added automated test!

[sYS MARKER] Changed to emptyInit function (fixed warnings)

[sYS PLAYEROPTIONS] Fixed Init failed on Setting module param vars if provided _value was not existing

[sYS PLAYEROPTIONS] Fixed Playertags was not exiting if turned off!

[sYS PROFILE] Added Init Eventlog to profileSystemInit in case ALiVE require is not placed

[sYS PROFILE] Changed all _arr set [count, _val] to new pushback command to optimize performance

[sYS PROFILE] Ensured initialisation happens only once per machine

[sYS PROFILE] Fixed _profilesCategorisedSide error! Fixed ProfileSystem was not destroying its babies on "destroy" op

[sYS PROFILE] Prevent despawn of player profiles to get rid of various player-AI issues

[sys_marker] Updated hint to be silent

[sys_profile] made a few changes to profiles to make firing from vehicle turret positions behave better

[sYS VD] Fixed default value for maxVD

[VARIOUS] Added more automated tests, #define in script_mod.hpp! Made destroy ops work properly for more modules!

[X LIB] Changed all _arr set [count _arr, _val] to new pushback command to optimize performance

[XLIB] Added empy dummy init function to workaround display missing init function warnings

[XLIB] Fixed fnc_iSHC, headlessClients array was not updating properly http://dev.withsix.com/issues/75555

Disclaimer

ALiVE is still in BETA and subject to change. We may need to clear persistent database data from the War Room before major updates but we will try to let you know well in advance if this happens. We have done our best to ensure backward compatibility for your missions. However, in case you get a new error with an existing mission, please delete and replace the offending module in the editor and you should be good to go again. As usual, please post any issues or feature requests on our tracker.

Work In Progress

We have an early version of the Insurgency Module working but there is quite a long way to go before it achieves our vision of delivering an intelligent asymmetric warfare simulator. Meanwhile we're working on a number of feature requests and enhancements across the board. There may be further interim updates as we approach the baseline for Release 1.0 in due course.

Thanks To

Special thanks to everyone here for supporting us with donations to the War Room. Database hosting isn't free and the overwhelming popularity of ALiVE means we are using rather more data than we originally anticipated. If you want to contribute to keep the War Room ALiVE (see what I did there) then please find the Donate button at ALiVEmod.com!

Have fun!

Please note, in case you have an issue loading a mission done with a previous version of ALiVE, delete and replace the modules in that mission. We have left the old modules hidden in the background to give you time to transition over but please update your missions as soon as possible. The legacy modules will be removed in an upcoming release!

Before I go playing any missions I've made in the most recent version prior to this new update, do they need to be remade to incorporate the new features/improvements as well, or does this statement only apply thus far to the old versions with the older module names?

JShock in the editing sub-forum has made a script that allows you to move a marker with a throw item. As a result I've been able to set up a transient spawn point for ALiVE's Multipsawn Insertion type, using this code...

this addEventHandler ["Fired",
{
   if ((_this select 4) isEqualTo "B_IRStrobe") then
   {
       _grenadeObj = (_this select 6);
       _moveMarker = [_grenadeObj] spawn
       {
           private ["_grenadePos","_grenadeObj"];
           _grenadeObj = (_this select 0);
           waitUntil { (getPosATL _grenadeObj select 2) < 0.1 };
           _grenadePos = getPosATL _grenadeObj;
           "ALiVE_SUP_MULTISPAWN_DESTINATION_BLU_F" setMarkerPos (_grenadePos);
       };
   };
}];  

Just put this in a unit's init field or file. It doesn't always work though, haven't worked out what causes it to sometimes flake.

Before I go playing any missions I've made in the most recent version prior to this new update, do they need to be remade to incorporate the new features/improvements as well, or does this statement only apply thus far to the old versions with the older module names?

hey mate!

We ensured backwardcompatibility so old missions should work as before! To use the new features, just set the appropriate setting on the modules (like mil/civ mp for roadblocks and camps f.e.)

enjoy

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

JShock in the editing sub-forum has made a script that allows you to move a marker with a throw item. As a result I've been able to set up a transient spawn point for ALiVE's Multipsawn Insertion type, using this code...

this addEventHandler ["Fired",
{
   if ((_this select 4) isEqualTo "B_IRStrobe") then
   {
       _grenadeObj = (_this select 6);
       _moveMarker = [_grenadeObj] spawn
       {
           private ["_grenadePos","_grenadeObj"];
           _grenadeObj = (_this select 0);
           waitUntil { (getPosATL _grenadeObj select 2) < 0.1 };
           _grenadePos = getPosATL _grenadeObj;
           "ALiVE_SUP_MULTISPAWN_DESTINATION_BLU_F" setMarkerPos (_grenadePos);
       };
   };
}];  

Just put this in a unit's init field or file. It doesn't always work though, haven't worked out what causes it to sometimes flake.

Hi,

Thats pretty cool! Just keep in mind, that you should use a serverside eventhandler (or something that fires serverside and moves the markers on server, as also the insertion mechanism works serverside)! maybe this is why its sometimes not working?

just try and provide feedback please!

Thanks for informing us about the update :cool:

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account (friznit) on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

** Note:

since this is a project on which more people are working we will contact you in the future to discuss how you want this to be setup on Armaholic.

I didn't see it in the release notes but I believe Wake Island is indexed now as well.

For those interested the "new" headless client in A3 works great with the CQB module in ALiVE. Here's a quick run-down of setting it up:

Configure your server and HC see here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Headless_Client

Create a new mission place at minimum:

Requires ALiVE module

Military CQB module - set locality to Headless Client (note: you can place more than one CQB module set to HC)

Place your player unit

Place a playable HC unit (under Game Logic, Virtual Entities) and give it a name

**HC unit is counted in maxPlayers so be sure to set this correctly in your description.ext**

Voila you are done!!

A3 supports multiple HCs but not sure how ALiVE handles this...

In my quick tests I had over 120 CQB units spawned on the HC with the server solid @ 50 FPS

Remember the HC is not the holy grail of AI numbers.. you still need to be reasonable on how many AI you have running in your missions at any given time.

PS: Panthera + ALiVE = WIN

Edited by SavageCDN

For some reason, i cant get the intel system to work on Takistan, after the last update :-(

hey guys, after the latest update, my arma crashs for some reasons, I rly don't know why

If i creat a LocalHost server, i can start the mission.

But if I try it on a dedicated server via Tadst or a windows server, the server crashs always at "Recieving Data"

My Localhost server is w/o "@AliveServer" and my dedicated server is with "@AliVEserver", maybe there is an issue with the @AliveServer

Edited by Blackswater