wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Yeah, ALiVE works with groups, so the addon maker needs to build some groups into the config. It's pretty straight forward but often gets overlooked.

I keep getting this error and I have tried downloading the @alive from PW6 and Armaholic and the main Alive site. I have also downloaded the Aliveserver again along with the .cfg and I still get this error no matter what I try. I also have noticed that even if I connect to the database it does not even show that we were on a mission any advice?

13:58:20 Warning: This version of ALiVE is build for A3 version: 132.127785. The server is running version: 134.128075. Please contact your server administrator and update to the latest ALiVE release version.

Thanks,

Twiztid

Twizz, was the mission file created before ALiVE was updated to 0.9.0.1410251? If so, was the map edited for the new module changes?

Ahh I never thought of that , it is the missions that come with the download, I would have thought that they would be , but that could be the answer.

Twiztid

I can't get multispawn to work.

ARJay's youtube video says "enable respawn in your desctiption.ext", although neither he or the Multispawn wiki state explicitly the correct way to do this. So I've added respawn = 2; in my desctiption.ext but it hasn't worked.

How do I get the Multispawn module to work?

I can't get multispawn to work.

ARJay's youtube video says "enable respawn in your desctiption.ext", although neither he or the Multispawn wiki state explicitly the correct way to do this. So I've added respawn = 2; in my desctiption.ext but it hasn't worked.

in nearly every demo i packed multispawn! just take a look!

also there is the wiki on our website!

but in short, place module, use the setting that you like to use, place appropriate marker, done

Idk if someone already commented on this because Im not going to pan through ~450 pages of comments to find out. However does anyone else have the issue were if you use a hummingbird as a support vehicle he skids already have crew members on them and the only seats available are the 2 in the "back seat"? Idk if because im running a mod or 2 (mainly graphical ie blast core, or custom faction ie escalation) Anyone else have this problem?

Idk if someone already commented on this because Im not going to pan through ~450 pages of comments to find out. However does anyone else have the issue were if you use a hummingbird as a support vehicle he skids already have crew members on them and the only seats available are the 2 in the "back seat"? Idk if because im running a mod or 2 (mainly graphical ie blast core, or custom faction ie escalation) Anyone else have this problem?

its because of the firing from vehicles update in the last patch. the skids are classified as turrets to fire from so they are manned automatically by ALiVE, I do believe they are working on a fix for this.

Not going to happen I'm afraid. MCC's GAIA conflicts directly with ALiVE's Mil AI Commander (OPCOM) and won't work with Profiles as they use a more traditional caching method. You can however still use some of the other MCC functions for spawning stuff if you are able to disable GAIA somehow. It was quite cool with MCC3 being able to plonk UPSMON groups on the fly to augment an ALiVE mission.

Overlord - that basically is what ALiVE is doing already, so I'm not sure why you'd need to switch them off as such. You can freeze any active module such as the AI Commander(s) with a trigger though - see the wiki for details.

Hi Friznit2,

We are not aware of a conflict with GAIA and ALIVE as GAIA will only take control by default over units spawned with MCC in zones not the ones that have been placed manually (unless defined to take control of all the AI on the map).

Caching will not work with ALIVE profile system but the cacheing is optional and by default off.

Hey guys, small question:

Are you all playing your missions purely in multiplayer with other humans?

Or more specific: Are you playing with AI subordinates?

My mission at the moment lets me simply start with my squad and an APC (which almost always kills half my squad while leaving stratis airbase).

So after this, my squand isn't strong anymore. Once I survive a Firefight, I'm mostly alone.

How would you recruit new troops?

Edit: Just for the flavor - what mods do you combine?

Currently I am using RHS Escalation, VTS Simple Weapon Resting, M4 M16 Pack and Middle East Conflict.

I'd like to try also AGM || CSE || XmedSys || bwa.

What do you use or suggest in combination with alive?

Oh cool. I confess I wasn't aware of the option to prevent GAIA taking control of all units on the map. I suppose if ALiVE only controls Profiled units (with the option to Profile only synced units) and GAIA is set to only control MCC Zoned units, then this could work very well together. Sweet!

Snowsky - you can use the Combat Logistics module to request new troops and have them join your team. It needs to be set up to actually have some resources though - see the wiki for details.

Snowsky - you can use the Combat Logistics module to request new troops and have them join your team. It needs to be set up to actually have some resources though - see the wiki for details.

Cool, I will check that out :), thanks for the info - I am still a greenhorn regarding modules and more regarding alive

Are there any known problem with SMD A3 Map?, cause an Script Error message loading the map. freezing the game :confused:

thanks

in nearly every demo i packed multispawn! just take a look!

also there is the wiki on our website!

but in short, place module, use the setting that you like to use, place appropriate marker, done

Hi. Sorry, hadn't grabbed the sample missions since you first launched Alive. I grabbed one by you and went through it but I couldn't find any markers,just the multispawn module with "spawn on squad".

Where the wiki lists the names with %FACTION% or %SIDE%, are you meant to change these to BLU_F or WEST?

Sorry if this is seems dumb.

Ideally, I'd like to use 'spawn on squad' and have an alternative spawn as backup in case that option is too hot... is it possible to link multispawn markers to thrown location of a smoke grenade?

It would be rad to throw a smoke grenade which releases smoke for a predetermined amount of time (by the mission maker), which triggers a respawn point at that location until the smoke runs out. Once depleted, a notification appears liked " transient spawn depleted" which allows the player to throw another smoke grenade to initiate a new respawn point.

This would allow travelling respawn locations without having to set respawn trigger events all over the map.

How would you recruit new troops?

I'd like to try also AGM || CSE || XmedSys || bwa.

What do you use or suggest in combination with alive?

You can also use this script for AI recruitment (works fine with ALiVE)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26312

With regards to other mods your best bet might be CSE - excellent addon!!

Are there any known problem with SMD A3 Map?, cause an Script Error message loading the map. freezing the game :confused:

thanks

SMD Sahrani is listed in the known working maps list:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Maps

I'm guessing this is the AiA/A3MP version and not the A3 version, which would explain the freezing.

So I've added respawn = 2; in my desctiption.ext but it hasn't worked.

Try with respawn = 3;

Edited by SavageCDN

----------------------------------------------

Troop Transport Mission - HOW to get success!

----------------------------------------------

Here's a temporary problem I have with an ALiVE auto-generated task regarding transporting troops from point A to point B. And I offer a temporary solution to the problem, until BIS or the ALiVE team can fix the problem.

--------

Problem: In the auto-generated tasks, the "Troop Transport" mission often fails because not all the troops will get out of your vehicle.

--------

First, I need to explain what I *think* is happening to cause mission failure. I could be wrong about this . . . but here goes my "layman's" (ie non-programmer) guess as to what's happening.

1) If you pilot a ghosthawk, one or two of the troops won't get out. I think this is because 1 or 2 troops get into a gunner position, and the game keeps 1 (or 2) gunners with the helo. This could explain why one of the transport troops won't get out of the helicopter at the destination LZ. Thus, the mission fails.

2) If you take a HEMTT truck, most of the troops get out. But even with the HEMTT truck, I've still seen 1 or 2 troops that wouldn't get out. I think I know why. The problem is the 2 FFV [Fire From Vehicle] positions in the back of the HEMTT truck.

In the BIS forums, I've seen discussion with the game developers that in order to make FFV positions on vehicles . . . in the code, those positions are essentially "gun turrent positions". So even in a HEMTT truck, if the AI transport troops climb into 1 of those 2 back seats . . . they are using a FFV [gun turrent] position. And the AI in those gunner positions are *probably* programmed to stay in the vehicle. Think about it. If the AI troops are given orders to exit a helicopter, you don't want the AI gunners to exit the helicopter. You just want the troops to exit the helo. Well, according to the game code, those FFV spots [in any vehicle] are essentially just "gun turrent" positions. So 1 or more of the transport troops will refuse to exit the truck/helo, because they think they are "gunners" the moment they climbed into those spots on the vehicle. Thus, you get a mission failure from ALiVE until they get out of the vehicle at the destination waypoint, but they won't EVER get out, because they're gunners.

---------------

Temp Solution. And I'm pretty sure most people won't enjoy this temp solution, since live players usually want to be the pilot. But until ALiVE or BIS can fix this problem/bug . . . here is a temporary fix:

---------------

A) Call an AI ghosthawk transport helo to pick YOU up using the support services system. The transport ghosthawk already has 2 AI gunners in the helo. Get in the helicopter as a passenger, and then tell the AI Ghosthawk to land at the "pickup location" to get the AI transport troops.

B) At the pick-up waypoint, ALL the AI transport troops will climb into the back of the ghosthawk [next to you] as passengers. Mission success on pickup.

C) Instruct the AI ghosthawk pilot to fly to, and land at, the "destination" waypoint.

D) When the ghosthawk lands, all the AI troops will exit the helo, and you WILL get mission success, even though you're a passenger instead of the pilot.

Possible flaw: The AI aren't always the best pilots. So the ghosthawk could get shot down by AA missiles.

To reduce problems with this flaw, you can use the "move" waypoint to carefully move the ghosthawk from one fairly safe location to the next, waypoint-by-waypoint. Second, you can instruct the pilot to fly low instead of medium or high altitude.

Other than that, you're still just taking a risk with the AI ghosthawk pilot skill while flying in enemy territory.

Of coarse, if you have a co-op game server and you have enough live players, then you can just have the live players take all the "gunner" and/or "FFV" [Fire From Vehicle] positions BEFORE you pick up the troops. That way, they don't get stuck in one of those positions on the vehicle.

That's my 2 cents.

-V

I think your logic seems pretty on the mark. Will wait and see what the others think.

You can also add to your mission a little script to bypass the issue, and run it through a radio trigger.

Hello,

I am having some difficulty getting the multispawn module to work in "spawn on squad" mode. This mode is not really covered during the tutorial so I looked and found some bits here and there but nothing definitive. In my description.ext I have Respawn=3 and RespawnDelay=10. I have NO respawn marker on the map (the wiki implies not using a marker, although I have tried it both ways. My mission has only one group of 9 playable and 1 player character on the map. Whenever a player dies it goes through the respawning... notification then the player trying to respawn is spectating the live player but never spawns in. I have tried this with the enemy check set on no and yes. My guess is when you place a no in the "Enemy Check" field no enemy check is performed. The tooltip is a bit misleading in that a yes or no in the field would have the opposite effect. A revised edition of the tutorial for this module might be needed and the tooltip is counter to the field heading expectations.

1. Does the "spawn on player" in the multispawn module work? (any one actually have this working)

2. How exactly do I get it working? (what should my description.ext lines look like) (do I need a marker or name my playable characters) (what exactly do I do to get "spawn on player" to work)

3. What does a "no" in the "perform enemy check" field do? Does no mean enemy is not checked for or does no mean do not spawn if enemy is nearby?

4. What is "enemy nearby"? When an enemy check is performed, what are the parameters? (how much of a radius is being checked? 50m? 100m?)

I am able to get the multispawn module to do just about everything else but the "spawn on player" seems broken. Any detailed reply or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

I am having some difficulty getting the multispawn module to work in "spawn on squad" mode. This mode is not really covered during the tutorial so I looked and found some bits here and there but nothing definitive. In my description.ext I have Respawn=3 and RespawnDelay=10. I have NO respawn marker on the map (the wiki implies not using a marker, although I have tried it both ways. My mission has only one group of 9 playable and 1 player character on the map. Whenever a player dies it goes through the respawning... notification then the player trying to respawn is spectating the live player but never spawns in. I have tried this with the enemy check set on no and yes. My guess is when you place a no in the "Enemy Check" field no enemy check is performed. The tooltip is a bit misleading in that a yes or no in the field would have the opposite effect. A revised edition of the tutorial for this module might be needed and the tooltip is counter to the field heading expectations.

1. Does the "spawn on player" in the multispawn module work? (any one actually have this working)

2. How exactly do I get it working? (what should my description.ext lines look like) (do I need a marker or name my playable characters) (what exactly do I do to get "spawn on player" to work)

3. What does a "no" in the "perform enemy check" field do? Does no mean enemy is not checked for or does no mean do not spawn if enemy is nearby?

4. What is "enemy nearby"? When an enemy check is performed, what are the parameters? (how much of a radius is being checked? 50m? 100m?)

I am able to get the multispawn module to do just about everything else but the "spawn on player" seems broken. Any detailed reply or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Just tested again...

- Requires ALiVE

- Multispawn (Spawn on squad, enemycheck no)

- Group of units (i made them playable untis)

- in description.ext: respawn = 3; respawnDelay = 15; disabledAI = 0;

- startup dedi, connect, startup, respawn, use cursortarget to select units

Do this on Stratis for a test (and only this)... and also ensure that AI isnt disabled, so that you have living units in your group, or you will respawn on the Multispawn Module pos

Try these simple steps, and if it is still not working for you then upload the mission somewhere and I will have a look directly...

Enjoy

highhead,

Thank you for the reply. Took me a bit but figured it out. At first I thought "spawn on squad" only worked with AI. Then I started to really think about it and tried what you said. Once I realized I was spawning on an AI member with my original soldier I knew all I was missing was some simple reminder instructions to use left and right arrow and the enter keys. So for those who might have the same issue use those keys when following a squad mate and you can spawn in on a squad member. These instructions do not appear until you have pressed one of the arrow keys or if you press enter inadvertently you will spawn in on whomever you are spectating by default. Also if it is night ops you can't see and have to rely on communication or luck. Everything is working great now and probably always was I just forgot about the arrow keys and enter key when squad spawning. On a side note if you have the enemy check set to no it actually means , no you are not able to spawn near squad members close to enemy units. At least that is what it is doing for me. Also might want to consider a mention about using arrow keys and enter when in "spawn on squad " mode.

Thanks again

tags: Multispawn Module "spawn on squad"

Edited by RomeoQuiznos
original reply was innacurate

Hello,

why is ALiVE crashing my dedicated server?

When we run ALiVE in missions on certain maps, it crashes the dedicated server (Ubuntu Server). This does not happen when previewing the mission locally. So far we have confirmed that Sahrani and Bornholm crash the server as soon as enemies spawn from the profiling system.

Why?

EDIT: I know Sahrani isn't indexed, and that Bornholm needs to be re-indexed, right? Does that have anything to do with it? I used custom objectives on Bornholm and it worked very well when I previewed it on my machine, so why does it crash the server?

Edited by GDent

All,

DOWNLOAD NEW @ALIVESERVER PLUGIN FROM ALiVE WAR ROOM (alivemod.com/war-room then go to your ALiVE Group Server Settings page)

Due to an outage at our service provider, our DB is currently unavailable for those not running the new Plugin dated 3rd Dec 2014.

Please download (from War Room!) to ensure you have the latest plugin and an improved level of service.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Hello,

why is ALiVE crashing my dedicated server?

When we run ALiVE in missions on certain maps, it crashes the dedicated server (Ubuntu Server). This does not happen when previewing the mission locally. So far we have confirmed that Sahrani and Bornholm crash the server as soon as enemies spawn from the profiling system.

Why?

EDIT: I know Sahrani isn't indexed, and that Bornholm needs to be re-indexed, right? Does that have anything to do with it? I used custom objectives on Bornholm and it worked very well when I previewed it on my machine, so why does it crash the server?

We don't support Linux or Bornholm with the current version of ALiVE. Sorry!

Okay. Is Linux ever going to be supported? Many groups use Linux servers. That was somewhat surprising to hear.

It works fine with supported terrains either way. We can just make missions in those terrains for now.

Edited by GDent