wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Getting ALiVE to Work on our server.

Our whole clan has the mod now.

We just want to test this so we dragged the ALIVE_Air_Assualt.Altis and ALIVE_Sabtoage_.Alits maps over to the MP folder on our server...

When we login via our RCon Password and pull up the #missions they are in the list, but when we chose them the server thinks, goes black, and then kicks us to the last map it knew it could run successfully.

How can I fix this?

Is there somewhere ELSE I am supposed to put ALIVE missions?

Do our Clients need both @ALIVE and @ALIVE_Server?

Does the Server need both @ALIVE and @ALIVE_Server?

Edited by Incomitatum

basically, what I'm trying to do is have it so that the AI will send people to protect a military base when the players attack it. I actually tested this by syncing the OPCOMs to enemy objectives and the BLUFOR one did attack the OPFOR one I wanted, but what I was looking for was OPFOR sending in forces from a nearby town to defend the base while it's being attacked. instead, BLUFOR just attacked the base and all the other forces even just 300m away kept patrolling as if nothing was happening.

this sounds like it might do what I want (except I won't have two OPCOMs since it's the players who will be attacking), so i'll try it. thank you

but if anybody else can chime in that would be nice too. all ideas are welcome

Probably easier to use some normally placed units with a Guard waypoint. ALiVE does not (yet) react to an objective under threat but will only attack once the objective has been lost to the enemy.

Incomitatum - just like any other mod, ALiVE needs to be running on your server as well.

Probably easier to use some normally placed units with a Guard waypoint. ALiVE does not (yet) react to an objective under threat but will only attack once the objective has been lost to the enemy.

oh man, I could have sworn I saw a tutorial video about this when ALiVE was first released. it might have just been syncing opcom to enemy mil. placements though, which I understand just turns those into objectives

what about the AI logistics module sending reinforcements at 50% forces lost? wouldn't that do what I'm asking?

i fixed some missing module functions in develop, but they shouldnt cause any issues either way as the modules them selves are initialised differently.

mind posting me the mission somewhere? will take a look on saturday!

regards

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xb1q7yjmx863pbk/Mil_Heli_Testing.Altis.7z?dl=0

This is just a very simply mission with hardly anything in it. When I preview through the editor, I get the error about missing module functions.

Thanks

Nevermind....

Edited by Gwiddik

We just want to test this so we dragged the ALIVE_Air_Assualt.Altis and ALIVE_Sabtoage_.Alits maps over to the MP folder on our server...

When we login via our RCon Password and pull up the #missions they are in the list, but when we chose them the server thinks, goes black, and then kicks us to the last map it knew it could run successfully.

How can I fix this?

Is there somewhere ELSE I am supposed to put ALIVE missions?

Do our Clients need both @ALIVE and @ALIVE_Server?

Does the Server need both @ALIVE and @ALIVE_Server?

Only clients need the @ALiVE mod and you only need the @ALiVE_Server mod if you are saving stuff to the war room (account required).

My guess is that the demo missions need to be updated to reflect the new modules? Perhaps try the foursome demo...

Learning By Deconstruction

We finally got ALiVE running on our server and had a blast!

We played the Sabotage mission that comes packaged with the mod.

No I am interested in opening that mission and seeing how it was made so I can learn from it and make my own.

Whenever I hit the EDIT button, after creating a new game, with that map selected, nothing happens.

Do you know how I can look into the file and see how it was made?

You need to de-pbo the mission file (filename.pbo). Check this video on howto:

This will create a folder with the same name as the mission file which you can then open in the editor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xb1q7yjmx863pbk/Mil_Heli_Testing.Altis.7z?dl=0

This is just a very simply mission with hardly anything in it. When I preview through the editor, I get the error about missing module functions.

Thanks

Had a spare 20 mins to mess around with this - I've seen this error before a couple of times a while back (previous patch), I was gonna put it up on the tracker but could never recreate it after I fixed it. Doesn't even show up in the .rpt.

One error in the rpt which seems unrelated:

15:10:28 String STR_ADDON_ERROR1 not found
15:10:28 0:38:22.780 (0.607) [x\alive\addons\sys_viewdistance\fnc_vDist.sqf:55] -ERROR- L ALiVE Modules:11

Found 3 entirely different ways to stop the error, none of which help much:

- deleting both C2ISTAR and player options

- deleting both OPCOM and logistics

- cutting & pasting the entire mission onto Stratis (pasting back onto Altis didn't work)

:confused:

Nearly There.

Thank you for your patience with me, you've been very helpful so far. I only ask these questions because the FAQ and Google Searches have come up snake-eyes.

Question:

I have got the game to place units and vehicles across Takistan. So far it's fairly lackluster in that I don't get any random objectives or intel. So I have a few questions.

It looks like there is important info in the text when I test the mission, but it goes by REAL fast. Is there a way to get a log of this or read back through what it's saying?

Question:

The last thing I get is this and I think it's part of the problem I am having.

"There are 0 objectives for this OPCOM instance! Please assign Military or Civilian Placement Objectives!"

Now, this is in spite of me having the modules for both Military AND Cilvilan placement on the board. What is the fix for this?

Question:

Sometimes when I place things they draw a blue line between them, linking them. Are these links part of my problem? How do I link and unlink?

Question:

What module do I use to give a random spawn-point in multiplayer?

Question:

I don't know if this is a side effect of Alive, I do not seem to be able to place EMPTY Units via the editor. Is there a trick to this? I want to but down the Support crate so I can test the ALiVE-tablet functionality, but the Yellow/Empty faction does not seem to be present.

Edited by Incomitatum

Nearly There.

Thank you for your patience with me, you've been very helpful so far. I only ask these questions because the FAQ and Google Searches have come up snake-eyes.

Question:

I have got the game to place units and vehicles across Takistan. So far it's fairly lackluster in that I don't get any random objectives or intel. So I have a few questions.

It looks like there is important info in the text when I test the mission, but it goes by REAL fast. Is there a way to get a log of this or read back through what it's saying?

Question:

"There are 0 objectives for this OPCOM instance! Please assign Military or Civilian Placement Objectives!"

Now, this is in spite of me having the modules for both Military AND Cilvilan placement on the board. What is the fix for this?

Question:

Sometimes when I place things they draw a blue line between them, linking them. Are these links part of my problem? How do I link and unlink?

Question:

Question:

I don't know if this is a side effect of Alive, I do not seem to be able to place EMPTY Units via the editor. Is there a trick to this? I want to but down the ALiVE crate so I can test the tablet functionality, but the Yellow/Empty faction does not seem to be present.

Somebody much smarter than me will give you the correct response but let me say that you should go to the www.alivemod.com website and watch a tutorial video or 5, lol It can be daunting at first but with a few goes becomes very simple and soon mission creating with ALiVE can be simple and very rewarding.

Make sure you have TAOR Markers so your Modules can pick up civilian or Military Buildings etc - hopefully this will help with the message of 0 objectives.

You will need at least one 'playable' unit before the Editor will allow you to place 'empty' objects on the map.

The Blue line is either grouping or syncing - with ALiVE it will be sync

Please watch the tutorials as I mentioned to get a feel, and then with this forums help you will be all set :)

@REAPER LOCK

Thank you for the suggestion. However 90% of the tutorial videos are outdated, and the wiki does not seem to answer the questions I have had. I have made great progress divining what I can from the YouTube Videos, but not all of it is analogous with the current version.

Question:

I was able to get this to work by click dragging into empty space to unlink.

Question:

Still haven't figured this one out.

Question:

IF I have this figured out more, you need a "Military AI Commander" unit for EACH side.

Each side also needs it's own "Logistics", "AI Skill", "Close Quarters Battles" and "Placement"... all linked to the "Military AI Commander"...

So while I am not getting the original OPCOM error, I am still not getting any Objectives.

@REAPER LOCK

Thank you for the suggestion. However 90% of the tutorial videos are outdated, and the wiki does not seem to answer the questions I have had. I have made great progress divining what I can from the YouTube Videos, but not all of it is analogous with the current version.

I was able to get this to work by click dragging into empty space to unlink.

Still haven't figured this one out.

IF I have this figured out more, you need a "Military AI Commander" unit for EACH side.

Each side also needs it's own "Logistics", "AI Skill", "Close Quarters Battles" and "Placement"... all linked to the "Military AI Commander"...

So while I am not getting the original OPCOM error, I am still not getting any Objectives.

In one of the Modules (I think its the OPCOM) you can select Objectives - these may take some time to take effect. Not sure if you need an AI Skill for Each faction (maybe).

Hi all, enjoying ALIVe, but just a little confused. Do we still need to syn BLU_F Military Placements with both the BLU_F and OPF_F AI commanders?

In one of the Modules (I think its the OPCOM) you can select Objectives - these may take some time to take effect. Not sure if you need an AI Skill for Each faction (maybe).

And that is part of the disconnect. I think you NOW mean the "Military AI Commander" modules, as OPCOM is no longer present. Here's hoping. I'll keep tinkering with it.

And that is part of the disconnect. I think you NOW mean the "Military AI Commander" modules, as OPCOM is no longer present. Here's hoping. I'll keep tinkering with it.

I would read through this if you haven't already it explains the basic (non_ALiVE) editor functions. Yes it's outdated but most things are still the same ;)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

Thanks SAVAGE

I have one last question.

Seems I have things working VERY well on Takistan, but with one bug: when the game gives us objectives it says they are Near [and then there is a space where there should be a grid-number or town-name but there is nothing] for some things like HVTs this makes play darn-near impossible as it doesn't even put a marker on the map for us to know where to go.

Any idea what's going wrong?

hmm... does it do this on the stock A3 maps Stratis or Altis? Perhaps it's something with AiA or A3MP mods - which one do you use to load Takistan?

(or maybe it's PROMode - you have to search the entire map to find the HVT :p )

I read a little that there was some conflict between MCC and ALiVE mods working together earlier in the year, but there seemed to be hope that the two teams might work together to have some interoperability.

I was just curious if you could provide a sitrep on this, as I was looking to check out MCC again, but don't really want to tradeoff ALiVE to do it at the moment :)

hello

is it possible to switch off/on a military/civ objective module to simulate a front line being pushed back?

or can ALiVE modules not be turned off mid game?

thanks

I read a little that there was some conflict between MCC and ALiVE mods working together earlier in the year, but there seemed to be hope that the two teams might work together to have some interoperability.

I was just curious if you could provide a sitrep on this, as I was looking to check out MCC again, but don't really want to tradeoff ALiVE to do it at the moment :)

Not going to happen I'm afraid. MCC's GAIA conflicts directly with ALiVE's Mil AI Commander (OPCOM) and won't work with Profiles as they use a more traditional caching method. You can however still use some of the other MCC functions for spawning stuff if you are able to disable GAIA somehow. It was quite cool with MCC3 being able to plonk UPSMON groups on the fly to augment an ALiVE mission.

Overlord - that basically is what ALiVE is doing already, so I'm not sure why you'd need to switch them off as such. You can freeze any active module such as the AI Commander(s) with a trigger though - see the wiki for details.

Only clients need the @ALiVE mod and you only need the @ALiVE_Server mod if you are saving stuff to the war room (account required).

My guess is that the demo missions need to be updated to reflect the new modules? Perhaps try the foursome demo...

Ok that is new for me....But I am a noob :) So I DON'T have to install the @ALIVE mod on our dedicated server for a ALIVE mission?

Its a good thing this isn't developed by Americans so you guys don't have a long holiday weekend starting tomorrow. That means you can keep working on indexing Bornholm v1.2 and get an ALiVE v.9.1 update released by say Saturday evening. Right? RIGHT.:yay:

Ok that is new for me....But I am a noob :) So I DON'T have to install the @ALIVE mod on our dedicated server for a ALIVE mission?

Just to clarify:

Clients need @CBA_A3 and @ALIVE

Servers need @CBA_A3, @ALIVE and @ALiVEServer

Edited by Tupolov

News to me too, and I'm in the Dev team! Savage is clearly going mad in his old age. Yeah, you'll want @ALIVE and @CAB_A3 on all clients and the server. This will be why it's booting you out. @ALIVE_Server is required for War Room integration. It's really no different from 90% of other mods in that respect.

Edit: beaten by a ninja Tup, curses!