wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

We have an issue in the last few days. It seems it began after the Arma update, but I'm not entirely sure.

I made a mission, where on the west side of Altis, CSAT and NATO fight an "eternal war", with about 1000 units per side. We had some serious fun in the last weeks, while testing it I sometimes just watched the AI units fight for hours :)

But now there's are no fights. The AI commanders don't send their troops anywhere. When I activate profile debug, I see that there are no waypoints. With the AI Commander debug turned on, I see that it orders units to some reserve objectives (or something like that, I didn't write it down exactly).

Normally I only use Alive and AGM (and cba), but it's the same without AGM.

I spent two evenings trying to get them moving, but no success. One time (out of two dozen tries) about four nato unit got orders to move forward about one click, but that was all, and I could not repeat even this.

Yesterday I made a quick mission from scratch, with two small TAOR with military objectives, 200-200 troops. The result was that about four CSAT unit got orders to attack, but after an initial contact they stood still, and no one moved any more.

I ran out of ideas, what to try to make it work again. Funny thing is it worked well even last weekend, and nothing changed since except for the Arma update.

All these tries were hosted by myself, but yesterday we tried with a fellow player hosting (who was the host of the last few weeks play), and same there.

I haven't tried with dedicated server yet (I will, but first I have look it up, how to do that :) ).

We have an issue in the last few days. It seems it began after the Arma update, but I'm not entirely sure.

I made a mission, where on the west side of Altis, CSAT and NATO fight an "eternal war", with about 1000 units per side. We had some serious fun in the last weeks, while testing it I sometimes just watched the AI units fight for hours :)

But now there's are no fights. The AI commanders don't send their troops anywhere. When I activate profile debug, I see that there are no waypoints. With the AI Commander debug turned on, I see that it orders units to some reserve objectives (or something like that, I didn't write it down exactly).

I spent two evenings trying to get them moving, but no success. One time (out of two dozen tries) about four nato unit got orders to move forward about one click, but that was all, and I could not repeat even this.

Yesterday I made a quick mission from scratch, with two small TAOR with military objectives, 200-200 troops. The result was that about four CSAT unit got orders to attack, but after an initial contact they stood still, and no one moved any more.

I ran out of ideas, what to try to make it work again. Funny thing is it worked well even last weekend, and nothing changed since except for the Arma update.

All these tries were hosted by myself, but yesterday we tried with a fellow player hosting (who was the host of the last few weeks play), and same there.

I haven't tried with dedicated server yet (I will, but first I have look it up, how to do that :) ).

Out of curiosity, did you give the ai both spawn units from the modules and placed units in the editor? Maybe try setting one side to not spawn any units, but give it 3 tank platoons in the editor(make sure they get profiled). Then set the opposite side to spawn only 3 tank groups and see which side, if any, will attack the other. Maybe that'll help narrow it down.

I have the same problem, tried a few things that ARjay mentioned but didn't help. This was before the update too, so I don't know what is going wrong. I was getting hung on player logistics, the server report states that game has finished but is still running and the tablet is open stuck on logistics. Hope it gets fixed.

im not exactly sure when it stopped saving to the database for me, but my last war room record was 4 days ago.

Edited by snackynak

Just thinking aloud here, reference static compositions and use of the RHS mod.

I noticed teh russians are equipped with some cool Radar and surveillance kit. Does ALiVE already spawn this in in some way ?

if not could it be configured to add them to relevant areas, i.e. mil zones, Hills, Airfields etc ?

Would also make excellent interdict and destroy targets for the in-mission objective gadget thingy

SJ

Is there a option to disable the Alive Garbage Collector?

Since the last update we have some issues that might be related to the garbage colelctor from alive. When a chopper crashes this is causing a lot of pretty much 300 explosions.

When we tested the same scenario without ALive all worked fine.

I have the same problem, tried a few things that ARjay mentioned but didn't help. This was before the update too, so I don't know what is going wrong. I was getting hung on player logistics, the server report states that game has finished but is still running and the tablet is open stuck on logistics. Hope it gets fixed.

can you replicate it when you rename the pbo and save again? if so, please load up the mission to our feedback tracker!

About GC, dont know what should cause those explosions, are you running any other mods, better said, can you replicate it with ALiVE and cba only if you crash a chopper there? its fine on my try

Out of curiosity, did you give the ai both spawn units from the modules and placed units in the editor? Maybe try setting one side to not spawn any units, but give it 3 tank platoons in the editor(make sure they get profiled). Then set the opposite side to spawn only 3 tank groups and see which side, if any, will attack the other. Maybe that'll help narrow it down.

I did it now with that test mission I wrote about. (In my former test, all units was spawned by Alive). First the NATO side had only four tank platoon, and CSAT was spawning its own units, second time CSAT had 8 tank section, and NATO spawned its own.

Both times it went down the very same way as yesterday: CSAT gave four units waypoints to attack. Those came, they fought, but after that played down, no more action was initiated on either side.

The units patrolled around their spot, and reacted to the enemy - but they didn't get any "strategic" command to move or attack something. (Opcom kept giving these reserve orders).

Please, I need some help here. I'm an old Alive fan. That said, I know how to place modules and sync them. My problem is, Combat Logistics aren't working for me. I request any kind of stuff but none of them arrives to my marked position. Nothing happens but that side chat message. Any ideas?

Please, I need some help here. I'm an old Alive fan. That said, I know how to place modules and sync them. My problem is, Combat Logistics aren't working for me. I request any kind of stuff but none of them arrives to my marked position. Nothing happens but that side chat message. Any ideas?

Is your Combat Support module on flat ground? I couldn't get fast moving CAS and figured out that it's because the CAS doesn't spawn and despawn when you call it, the vehicles are actually there from the get-go... my aircraft kept trying to take off from a forest floor.

Maybe try putting the module close by you on level ground? Dunno. I've requested three drops today (Hunters) and I've gotten them all albeit after having to run after them due to drift on the descent.

I haven't used combat logistics very much, but from what i know you need these:

A friendly AI commander module with an AI logistics module synced to it. The friendly AI commander then needs to be synced to a civilian objective module with an insertion point, like an airport or dock. A player logistics module and combat logistics(they are not synced like the CAS/artillery support module from what I remember). Also, if you're using 3rd party factions(like RHS), then it probably won't work.

Edited by snackynak

Question ... when playing this with friends, we like to each command a squad of AI individually during gameplay. The biggest issue we've come across so far is if a squad leader dies, he respawns but his squad is half the map away, it is usually difficult to get back to them and start functioning as a squad again. If the player died, would it be possible to completely remove him from the squad he was commanding (basically let ALIVE take over the rest of the squad) and have him spawn again with an entirely new fresh squad?

We have a slight work around right now, basically there is a script set up where you can recruit AI's from your base when you respawn, but this takes some time and doesn't allow you to desync from your old squad. So if you have some teammates that weren't killed along with you, they are still somewhere across the map trying to get back to you.

There are various squad management tool you can use to do that. We will probably add a simple native one to ALiVE C2 at some point.

Can you look at all combat support modules for RHS? The uh60 does not work on US side either, although it does spawn when air units are selected in the mil placement module. Also the artillery does not fire for some reason. It shows up but you can't call fire missions. Thanks heaps, loving ALiVE and RHS they are meant for each other.

I just tried the CS CAS module with RHS_UH60M and the RHS_UH60M_d and they both work fine for me.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

Hello!

I've noticed an issue using RHS: Escalation while playing with ALiVE. On the Russian side, namely the VVS Mi24 variants, aren't recognized as a CAS helicopters by the ALiVE Player Combat Support, leading the unit to be always combat ineffective; I have tested out the vanilla helicopters without moving the module to make sure that it wasn't a terrain issue, which it wasn't. The AH64D works fine because it is under the overall faction of US Army, however since the Russian sides are all divided up, this seems to be causing issues. I went on the ALiVE wiki and sure enough the supported factions are only the MSV, VDV and TV. I really like playing as the Russians, and it just sucks to have no air support while playing ALiVE. I also asked on the RHS forum, and I was told to also post this issue here. Will you be including the other Russian sub factions from the mod namely the Russian Airfoce (VVS)?

*EDIT* Upon further testing using the SU 25 from the same faction as the Hind, it seems to work, so this seems to be an isolated issue involving the Mi24 P and V variants.

Looks like those units in RHS return canMove false, I'll ping the RHS team and let them know.

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

Just thinking aloud here, reference static compositions and use of the RHS mod.

I noticed teh russians are equipped with some cool Radar and surveillance kit. Does ALiVE already spawn this in in some way ?

if not could it be configured to add them to relevant areas, i.e. mil zones, Hills, Airfields etc ?

Would also make excellent interdict and destroy targets for the in-mission objective gadget thingy

SJ

If you turn on ambient vehicles the radars will sometimes be placed around military objectives.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

Hey Alex, are your player units (who is requesting the logistics insertion) of the same faction that you have the OPCOM and military logistics setup for?

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Can you upload a mission somewhere so we can take a look?

ARjay, thanks heaps for your reply - you solved my problem. THe wiki documentation for RHS has the classname as rhs_uh60_d (it does not have the "M" in it). Ill adjust my mission and enjoy. Ill post on RHS to have them fix it. Thanks again.

Is there a option to disable the Alive Garbage Collector?

Since the last update we have some issues that might be related to the garbage colelctor from alive. When a chopper crashes this is causing a lot of pretty much 300 explosions.

When we tested the same scenario without ALive all worked fine.

Hi,

I tested it again to be sure and didnt get any unexpected explosions! But actually an easy way to disable GC completely is a good idea! I ensured that GC is disabled completely if you enter a time value < 1 (like 0, or -1), will be in next update! Thanks for the suggestion.

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

As Arjay pointed out, please make sure you have a Military Combat Logistics module synced to an Virtual AI Commander of your faction for the player combat logistics to be enabled.

If this isnt done, then only the outbound radio message will appear, but you won't get any answer!

T or highhead

anything new here with @agm war room conflicts?

Put @agm back in the stack and all seems to be recording to war room !

Also no more radio conflicts with ALiVE and agm it seems ...

Smart people are Awesome

Put @agm back in the stack and all seems to be recording to war room !

Also no more radio conflicts with ALiVE and agm it seems ...

Smart people are Awesome

Kybo could you please clarify what you mean or what you did exactly to fix the AGM-ALiVE conflict?

Kybo could you please clarify what you mean or what you did exactly to fix the AGM-ALiVE conflict?

Rath I was referring to this---> http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169350-ALiVE-Advanced-Light-Infantry-Virtual-Environment&p=2808669#post2808669

And I wish I had an answer to the second part of your question. All I did from my dedi was DL another folder from the ALiVE website. I just naturally assumed that these guys worked there magic. Diligent group of Moders ..one of the reasons why we incorporate this mod into our dedi.

Edit: I must say I have NOT fully tested variants such as switching weapons from the VAS for example. However the weapon I was using is from massi and it recorded kills to the WR.

Edited by kyboshsteinski

Thanks Kybo,

I've been trying to debug the AGM/ALiVE issues on my dedicated box, but no luck so far. Aside from the War Room issues though, AGM and ALiVE together are so much fun!

edit: I know about removing problematic pbo files, but my group really enjoys the medical and explosive system in AGM so we are willing to put up with the War Room issues for now :)

Edited by Rath

I've been made aware there is a compatiblity issue between AGM and ALiVE whereby running the two together prevents the AGM "Re-spawn" button from functioning. It doesn't even appear live. Forces the Abort command and a re-slot.

Is this new news, or old news ?

Any idea if we can rectify in code anywhere ?

I see this mentioned in the thread but I don't see where it was solved? "[Module init]module function is missing" I get this when i add the "Command & Control (C2ISTAR)" if I remove it ALIVE has no issues.

I see this mentioned in the thread but I don't see where it was solved? "[Module init]module function is missing" I get this when i add the "Command & Control (C2ISTAR)" if I remove it ALIVE has no issues.

Hi,

Can you delete the module, save, place the module again and save again?

Does that solve it?

Just saying because, I have seen this behaviour in a mission that I took a look at and it was fixed by replacing the module there! Please try that and report back if thats working (C2ISTAR function is defined in cfgVehicles, I just took a look at the codeZ, function = "ALIVE_fnc_C2ISTARInit").

Thankx veng!

##

Hi,

I tested it again to be sure and didnt get any unexpected explosions! But actually an easy way to disable GC completely is a good idea! I ensured that GC is disabled completely if you enter a time value < 1 (like 0, or -1), will be in next update! Thanks for the suggestion.

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

As Arjay pointed out, please make sure you have a Military Combat Logistics module synced to an Virtual AI Commander of your faction for the player combat logistics to be enabled.

If this isnt done, then only the outbound radio message will appear, but you won't get any answer!

After some more testing we found out the issue is related somewhere in the basic revive module from CSE.

Anyone else having issues with AGM respawn and ALiVE - I can't believe we're the only people trying to combine these mods ?

SJ