wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

I just wanted to say that I think this is an absolutely excellent mod. Doing everything as modules is definitely the way to go as well... I hope we see more and people going that route in the future.

The ability to populate the entire map with AI combatants and civs without it crapping out performance is pretty great.

Since you have a logistics module already (adding in easy-to-use CAS, and transport, for example), my only suggestion would be to consider making some additional modules for "gameplay enhancement"... i.e. ace-like modules. The modular approach is perfect for that type of thing, imo. CSE* is taking this approach as well. If nothing else, will be great to use CSE* and ALiVE together at some point in the future when CSE* is a bit more fully baked (my opinion).

Modular is the way to go, and I hope more mod makers begin to take that approach moving forward.

Great work. Working on a mission right now with 600 blufor and rebel combatants (might trim that down a bit in the end), cqb spawns all over the map, and a map full of Civilians that are all providing a dynamic war as a backdrop for my mission. And, it still runs well... Can finally build some things that are more in the true spirit of a sandbox game that Arma is supposed to be. Instead of largely abandoned maps, and limited numbers of AI... with ALiVE, I can fill a map with war, ambient civilian life, etc. and still have a chance of it being playable.

Edited by Mobile_Medic
corrected acronym for "Combat Space Enhancement".

You've covered our original mission statement almost word for word, which is great because it means we must still be on the right track! We agree completely with you about the modular approach (obviously!), which is why we're working closely with CSE to ensure both mods integrate nicely.

*CSE... sorry about that :)

That is very good to hear. I was originally using CSE in my mission along with ALiVE, but pulled it out b/c it didn't quite seem ready for my purposes yet, though I love the approach they are taking.

I am looking forward to watching ALiVE and CSE progress. ALiVE has kind of renewed my interest in the game. Historically, I'm always just frustrated with the performance issues, being relegated to small scale infantry battles as a result, and a (imo) non-intuitive and buggy editor (though getting better), etc.

I do have a couple of questions, if you don't mind (unless there is a better place for support).

1. It seems I have a rogue waypoint destination that shows up on my screen in my mission (not on the map, but on the play screen... i.e. "4.2km"). Not sure where it is coming from. I have automatic player tasks turned off at the moment (would like to figure out how to implement them as optional tasks, rather than primary ones that get auto-assigned and override my main mission tasks), so I am not sure where it is coming from. I can travel to it, and it just gives me another one some km's away.

2. I don't know if this is a bug or intended behavior, but... For any manually placed units, things like "addAction" don't seem to work, *unless* you ensure that the manually placed units are *not* a part of the profile system. In my case, it is set up so everything that is not grouped to it, is automatically a part of it. If I placed an "addAction" in a units init, it would not work. But, I grouped the unit to the profile module (so it wouldn't be a part of the profile system) and the addAction began to work. Not a big deal since I only have two units so far who need to be separated from the profile system for this purpose, but down the line... having many AI that it is necessary to spawn in at mission start could impact performance.

Thanks again for your hard work.

1. The rogue waypoint is a known bug but not sure which module it's coming from. I suspect it may be convoys but I'm not entirely sure!

2. That's a feature of Profiling - the profiled units don't save their init lines. It's the main limitation of ALiVE profiles vs traditional group caching (which removes all but one unit from the group) but the advantages in terms of performance and what else you can do with the profiles far outweighs this (that's our opinion ofc). Your approach is the right workaround. Note that if you're talking about AI units with a Join Player Group action, we are in the middle of developing the Player Resupply Demand module, which will enable you to request AI units to join your group.

You can join the public support channel on Skype here (Skype uri link)

hmmmm when i use Alive with Zeus and i call CAS firesupport with Zeus, the plane do not fly properly, the planes crash before theyr reach theyr target.

^ you are gonna love this update, Acoustic... Soonâ„¢

when i set the number of spawning profiles to 900, i get performance problems and it feels like there isnt much battle and AI spawning around me but when i set the number to 10 or 5, it feels that i get much battle and AI spawn around me and no performance problems. does it mean that when i set the number to for example 900, that the AI spawn even outside the visual range due to the high number ?

oh and is there a module or command in Alive, which spawn already flying helicopter and jets inside the visual range ?

Edited by sgtsev3n

AI will still only spawn within the range set in the module. If you're spawning way more AI than your machine/server can handle then performance will still suffer, which may have an impact on how well the AI behave - micro AI behaviour is nothing to do with ALiVE and low fps has by far the biggest impact on the I of AI. You can set a hard limit on the amount spawned in the module, though that's a bit artificial. Generally, less is more - use a smaller number but give them a Logistics module so they resupply more often.

AI use helicopters and jets in 0.7, but be warned: they use them well!

excellent work, currently our clan uses two custom maps:

Mainly http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22179

& occasionally http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22360

we have modified the maps (removed strange fog and sky colors) to meet our personal tastes. They are small maps but offer a variety of custom game play. I would love to use ALiVE for our maps and am unsure if you can add them to your list or need a link to our modified maps we use. Thanks in advance.

Please add custom map requests to our bug tracker on DH. We'll lose track of them if they get buried in the forum here!

AI will still only spawn within the range set in the module. If you're spawning way more AI than your machine/server can handle then performance will still suffer, which may have an impact on how well the AI behave - micro AI behaviour is nothing to do with ALiVE and low fps has by far the biggest impact on the I of AI. You can set a hard limit on the amount spawned in the module, though that's a bit artificial. Generally, less is more - use a smaller number but give them a Logistics module so they resupply more often.

AI use helicopters and jets in 0.7, but be warned: they use them well!

ok thank you. so to have small number of AI, i have to change the "profiler" number of how many profiles are spawning at one time, right ?

cant wait for the jets and helicopters :D

excellent work, currently our clan uses two custom maps:

Mainly http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22179

& occasionally http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22360

we have modified the maps (removed strange fog and sky colors) to meet our personal tastes. They are small maps but offer a variety of custom game play. I would love to use ALiVE for our maps and am unsure if you can add them to your list or need a link to our modified maps we use. Thanks in advance.

ALiVE won't really work with either of those maps as there are no 'locations' for it to detect, buildings for CQB to spawn guys in, etc. Well.. some things should work you could use custom objectives to place units and the support features should work... but for this ALiVE does not need to index the map (ie: should work right now). Give it a try and let me know what you discover!!

ok thank you. so to have small number of AI, i have to change the "profiler" number of how many profiles are spawning at one time, right ?

cant wait for the jets and helicopters :D

Yes correct set the Active Limiter in the profile module (default is 50)... this setting determines the maximum number of groups that are allowed to spawn at any given time.

Edited by SavageCDN

Hi ALiVE Devs!

Speaking currently on behalf of SmokeDog for Sangin A3, is there any particular extra things you have to do when making a map for it to be fully compatible with ALiVE? As currently we're experiencing issues where CAF Aggressors Civvies are not spawning at all in the map, and the Civvie Military placement is leaving a little to be desired. However the CQB Module is working which is good! But yeah is there anything specific you have to set up?

Cheers

EDIT: The whole CfgWorlds is brand new, it hasn't been inherited from Altis/Stratis or Takistan (like the A2 one), would that make a difference?

EDIT 2: It's not picking up town names! That's probably why Haha. We'll look at this and get back to you, but if anything has to be done differently to normal or extra added for ALiVE please let us know!

Edited by mihikle

is there a chance that you add singleplayer respawn module for players ?

is there a chance that you add singleplayer respawn module for players ?

Just host a local LAN game and play on your own. Then you can have respawn as per normal BI settings.

Hi,

when placing units within a marker via mil placement or mil civ placement is there a way to have units patrol the marker area without necessarily populating an objective?? Say for example i am using Takistan map and I have marker along the whole west boarder of the map but only very narrow, there are few mil or civ objectives that fall within this marker but I want my ai groups to patrol this entire length of the map. Is this possible with ALiVE units?? if not will UPSMON script work as long as I don't profile those UPSMON units??

Thanks and great work.

You could put a number of custom objectives in that area - ALiVE units will occupy strategic objectives then send out patrols in the vicinity. But if you want truly random patrols wandering around in the wilderness you're better off using something like UPSMON or just regular waypointed groups.

You could put a number of custom objectives in that area - ALiVE units will occupy strategic objectives then send out patrols in the vicinity. But if you want truly random patrols wandering around in the wilderness you're better off using something like UPSMON or just regular waypointed groups.

When you say custom objectives what exactly do you mean?? That would be cool to have the alive units patrol from a strategic location to an area and back again. How do I do this? Thanks for any help you can give.

First of all, thanks to the ALiVE Dev team for a great system, and for helping me get my WarRoom connection squared away a few weeks back.

I'm running into an issue where my transport helos do not open fire on enemy targets when circling, even with ROE set to fire. I'll order a GhostHawk to circle a point, they are taking fire from the ground, and they just circle without ever fighting back. Is this a known issue? Working as designed? Thanks in advance!

When you say custom objectives what exactly do you mean?? That would be cool to have the alive units patrol from a strategic location to an area and back again. How do I do this? Thanks for any help you can give.

See the wiki for custom objectives (under OPCOM). The groups won't patrol back and forth between objectives as such, but they do put out patrols within 500m of an objective, so you could stick one down in an empty area. We're adding a 'proper' custom objectives module in the next release which you can plonk down, select some units to occupy/patrol and choose a preset composition too.

"Circling" appears to be a bit broken. No idea why but it causes the helos to crap out. Use Move to area or SAD for now. CS is getting a bit of an overhaul atm.

"Circling" appears to be a bit broken. No idea why but it causes the helos to crap out. Use Move to area or SAD for now. CS is getting a bit of an overhaul atm.

My intention is to make it possible to use a GhostHawk to fly to an objective, insert forces, and then loiter or circle providing cover with the miniguns until it is time to extract (think US Air Force Pararescue style operations). This will not be part of a scripted mission, but rather an option always available to players on my ALiVE server. Because the ALiVE CS module is also the best AI chopper control mechanism out there, I was hoping to use it to achieve this. Using the Transport type asset seems to break the chopper's ability to return fire, and using the CAS type means I can't order it around like I need to (no "move" or "land" orders, only Attack Run, S&D and Loiter). Any suggestions for accomplishing this using your system (or an ALiVE-compatible script)? Or should I simply wait until CS is overhauled? Thanks!

It's perfectly possible with the transport script. You just need to tell it to move to a location and set its ROE to Fire. Don't tell it to Circle cos that's broken at the moment. It just means it will hover at the holding point rather than circling around. Hopefully it'll all work better after the rewrite!

Tried searching around for this answer but couldn't come across one.

BUT

is the R3F Logistics script compatible with the persistence that Alive brings? For example if I used R3F to construct an Outpost or COP or something will it be saved through Alive on server restarts and such?