wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Yeah. I tried it with vanilla units too.

EDIT: Nevermind, issue resolved. Silly me, when I was disabling mods for testing I missed an AI mod. AISS, for those who are interested.

Edited by CheekiBreeki297

I'm having an issue on our DS where the game loads, I can hear the ambient noises, hear footsteps of the characters moving but my game stays stuck on the loading screen. I've tweaked the placement modules and profile module to tone down some of the placements but can't seem to figure out what's going on here. It happens to all of our players.

Handicap, have you tried leaving it at the load screen for a while? It can take up to 10 minutes depending on what modules/settings/map you are using.

Also, when you first fire up the server try to make it so you are the only one connecting until it is fully loaded, that has helped me at least.

Handicap, have you tried leaving it at the load screen for a while? It can take up to 10 minutes depending on what modules/settings/map you are using.

Also, when you first fire up the server try to make it so you are the only one connecting until it is fully loaded, that has helped me at least.

The longest I let it sit so far was about 8 minutes. I'll leave it running for a bit longer this time. The thing is.. I've got the game windowed and I'm listening to it.. I can hear the AI beginning to fight as the Opfor OPCOM pushes units into the base. So it's running.. but it's just not letting me out of the loading screen.

It would hang a bit in the editor but never for this long.

How many OPCOMS, MilCiv, and Mil placements do you have? What are your CQB modules set to? Also what map is it?

Map: Altis

OPCOMS: 2

Mil Placements: 2 (Split up by TAOR/Blacklist markers)

Mil Civ placements: 1

CQB Module: Not set

Ambient Civs: 1

Ambient Civ Placement: 1

Military Logistics: 1

Convoys: 2x (Opfor/Blufor)

System modules: Requires ALiVE, Admin Actions, Garbage Collector, View Distance, Profile

Non-Alive modules: Raven's Lifter, TFAR frequencies/force usage/Side radios, Xmed main module.

Blufor Mil placements are set to markers in the NW and SE corners of Altis, Opfor has the entire middle of the island from SW corner to NE corner. Civs are set to spawn island wide with high hostility to blufor.

-Troubleshooting:

Turned down ambient vehicle placement.

Synced player spawn slots to profile module, set it to not profile synced units. -- Unsynced player spawns from profile module, left it set to not profile synced units, only editor placed units.

Turned down Civilian placement from medium to low on both individuals and vehicles.

Set server to Persistent (We usually don't run it persistent so that the maps are a clean slate upon entry), loaded the mission, let it sit on loading screen for 15 minutes, Alt+F4'd out of the game and then rejoined, still stuck on loading screen.

--

I can -hear- my unit firing, throwing grenades and moving around. I can hear the AI beginning to move into the area. I can hear opfor and blufor begin to engage each other.

I get one item warning when initially loading (An A3MP glitch with camo netting) and when that warning pops up I can actually see the base, vehicles, ammo boxes and everything from my point of view. When I acknowledge the error it drops back to the load screen to finish loading and then just hangs there.

So far I've had 4 guys try and individually connect to the server by themselves and they all get stuck as well.

Edit: WTF.. I clicked back into the game and I'm in. Bringing a second player in now to see if he gets hung up or drops in.

Sounds like a script/addon causing it then. What all are you running?

EDIT: Really, so it took 15+ minutes?

Edited by Rath

Sounds like a script/addon causing it then. What all are you running?

EDIT: Really, so it took 15+ minutes?

We run a very long list of Addons but I had figured that since I didn't receive any conflicts when I was editing/previewing that everything would be golden and it seems I was correct... Just with a 15+ minute load time on the server side of the house. The easy fix for that is just to inform our mission guys that the server needs to be turned on and the map put into play at least 30 minutes prior to launching the operation. No big deal.

Now to beef my modules back up and -really- bring that load time on, haha.

The longest I let it sit so far was about 8 minutes. I'll leave it running for a bit longer this time. The thing is.. I've got the game windowed and I'm listening to it.. I can hear the AI beginning to fight as the Opfor OPCOM pushes units into the base. So it's running.. but it's just not letting me out of the loading screen.

It would hang a bit in the editor but never for this long.

Sounds like you either dont have Require ALiVE module placed or the LoadingScreen is interrupted by some 3rd party mod/script/addon! In this case the simulation starts and scripts are not initialised at full speed, causing the longer loading times!

Do you have Require ALiVE module in place, could you please check that for me? Thanks!

highhead

Random question, but if i made a bug report on an issue about ALiVE and it was closed and assigned back to myself, if i then reply to it would it get seen or would i have to make a new report?.

It would get seen. You can re-assign it back to the dev as well if you don't think it's been resolved. If it has been fixed then please close it!#

Rath - ref your question about CQB- I cannot repro your issue. I'm using multiple CQBs on various A3MP maps with lots of different addons. At most it's taking 2 or 3 minutes to initialise and CQB is working fine, even when set to max. Please ensure if you're testing that you start with a completely vanilla install and work up from there until you figure out what is causing the conflict. A lot of people experience long load times due to a mod or an init line in a gamelogic that is conflicting with the init order (you can, for example, try moving script init to init.sqf which runs after editor placed module init).

Thank you friznit2, sorry i am new to that bug reporting format :)

sorry if its been asked before (in the 337 pages :p), but is it possible to make the OPCOM choose ONLY the custom objectives I have assigned them? I.e. they won't have objectives on other military locations, just the ones I have deployed a gamelogic at.

Is it also possible to remove custom objectives from the OPCOM by removing the gamelogic with a 'deletevehicle' command?

I have a script at the moment which I hope will be able to remove the objectives and force the enemy to fall back or concentrate on other objectives once the script has run (by an addaction on a laptop)

Cheers guys

You can use the objective priority system. ....Edit: what HH said below. Much better!

Objectives are calculated during init so removing the module after that will have no effect (it's just a placeholder). You would need to call an OPCOM func to remove the objective (tbh I can't remember if that func is available in the release version - should be on the wiki if it is but I can't see it at work).

Edited by friznit2

sorry if its been asked before (in the 337 pages :p), but is it possible to make the OPCOM choose ONLY the custom objectives I have assigned them? I.e. they won't have objectives on other military locations, just the ones I have deployed a gamelogic at.

Is it also possible to remove custom objectives from the OPCOM by removing the gamelogic with a 'deletevehicle' command?

I have a script at the moment which I hope will be able to remove the objectives and force the enemy to fall back or concentrate on other objectives once the script has run (by an addaction on a laptop)

Cheers guys

yeah, just dont sync opcom to the enemy mil/civ placement modules and only to your GL, please report back if it worked!

Sounds like you either dont have Require ALiVE module placed or the LoadingScreen is interrupted by some 3rd party mod/script/addon! In this case the simulation starts and scripts are not initialised at full speed, causing the longer loading times!

Do you have Require ALiVE module in place, could you please check that for me? Thanks!

highhead

Map: Altis

OPCOMS: 2

Mil Placements: 2 (Split up by TAOR/Blacklist markers)

Mil Civ placements: 1

CQB Module: Not set

Ambient Civs: 1

Ambient Civ Placement: 1

Military Logistics: 1

Convoys: 2x (Opfor/Blufor)

System modules: Requires ALiVE, Admin Actions, Garbage Collector, View Distance, Profile

Non-Alive modules: Raven's Lifter, TFAR frequencies/force usage/Side radios, Xmed main module.

Blufor Mil placements are set to markers in the NW and SE corners of Altis, Opfor has the entire middle of the island from SW corner to NE corner. Civs are set to spawn island wide with high hostility to blufor.

-Troubleshooting:

Turned down ambient vehicle placement.

Synced player spawn slots to profile module, set it to not profile synced units. -- Unsynced player spawns from profile module, left it set to not profile synced units, only editor placed units.

Turned down Civilian placement from medium to low on both individuals and vehicles.

Set server to Persistent (We usually don't run it persistent so that the maps are a clean slate upon entry), loaded the mission, let it sit on loading screen for 15 minutes, Alt+F4'd out of the game and then rejoined, still stuck on loading screen.

--

I can -hear- my unit firing, throwing grenades and moving around. I can hear the AI beginning to move into the area. I can hear opfor and blufor begin to engage each other.

I get one item warning when initially loading (An A3MP glitch with camo netting) and when that warning pops up I can actually see the base, vehicles, ammo boxes and everything from my point of view. When I acknowledge the error it drops back to the load screen to finish loading and then just hangs there.

So far I've had 4 guys try and individually connect to the server by themselves and they all get stuck as well.

Edit: WTF.. I clicked back into the game and I'm in. Bringing a second player in now to see if he gets hung up or drops in.

highhead

I have the "Requires ALiVE" module placed, yes. What it ultimately may be is just a vast assortment of mods coming together and delaying the boot up time of ALiVE once the map is turned on. After it let me in all of my players were able to connect and instantly get in-game (Except for one who hadn't updated his ALiVE like we'd told him to) so the issue pretty much solved itself with a bit of patience.

We run well over 20 mods on our server which is what I'm assuming caused the massive hang up. Like I said before though, I've gone and pushed it over to it's persistent state and our mission guys have a warning to spin the map up at least an hour prior to kicking off their missions so that there's no hang up issues.

yeah, just dont sync opcom to the enemy mil/civ placement modules and only to your GL, please report back if it worked!

Thanks for the help, worked great.

Only problem now is that when I use deletevehicle to remove the GL during the game, the objectives stay put. Is there any other way to manually disable an OPCOM objective during the game?

Can anyone recommend a brief video (~10 min) of what ALiVE is all about to send to people unaware of this great concept?

Tried to search YT but only came up with long ones and/or mission tutorials.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Plenty on alivemod.com Bear in mind all those gameplay videos are 100% procedurally generated by ALiVE. An example of what it looks like in the editor is that vid I posted in the last update:

Thanks for the help, worked great.

Only problem now is that when I use deletevehicle to remove the GL during the game, the objectives stay put. Is there any other way to manually disable an OPCOM objective during the game?

DeleteVehicle won't help you, the logic objects aren't monitored for changes - just existence at start.

There is a "removeObjective" command available in the OPCOM function (at least according to the function viewer in the editor) that is, I'm sure, supposed to be the counterpart to "addObjective". I briefly messed around with using removeObjective, but it seemed to succeed and then later cause errors to accumulate in other parts of the mod. I didn't put a lot of time into figuring out why, but my guess is that there's lots of things that expect objectives to never be removed.

In order to even try to use removeObjective though, I think you'll have to use addObjective and keep very close track of the objective IDs. For instance, the name of the game logic is irrelevant to the objectives that get created.

From watching the debug logging as well as messing around with addObjective, it seems like each OPCOM should really get a unique identifier for any objectives assigned to it. I'm not 100% sure on that, certainly the debug markers expect that. I have a post a few pages back that shows a way to add objectives that's more selective than the one in the script snippets on the wiki and I think you'd have to do something similar in order to be able to try using removeObjective.

EDIT

I just re-confirmed, I can call removeObjective (the syntax is [_opcom, "removeObjective", _objectiveID] call ALiVE_fnc_OPCOM) and that doesn't generate errors, however each time through OPCOM's regular processing/update loop, errors are logged in the RPT file about a variable being undefined on line 794. The error seems to pretty much halt the OPCOM from doing anything else. If the function viewer is accurate for line numbers, then it's probably in this part of the processing.

case "getobjectivebyid": {
           	ASSERT_TRUE(typeName _args == "STRING",str _args);

private ["_objective","_id"];
			_id = _args;
			{
				if (([_x,"objectiveID"] call ALiVE_fnc_hashGet) == _id) exitwith {_objective = _x};
			} foreach ([_logic, "objectives"] call ALIVE_fnc_HashGet);

_result = _objective;
	};

Edited by cameroon

Plenty on alivemod.com Bear in mind all those gameplay videos are 100% procedurally generated by ALiVE. An example of what it looks like in the editor is that vid I posted in the last update:

Thanks for the input friznit2 but I was more looking for a "promo video" that tells and shows potential A3 players the overall ALiVE concept and why they should use it. Not videos on how to set things up etc. So keep suggestions coming if you have more...

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

EDIT

I just re-confirmed, I can call removeObjective (the syntax is [_opcom, "removeObjective", _objectiveID] call ALiVE_fnc_OPCOM) and that doesn't generate errors, however each time through OPCOM's regular processing/update loop, errors are logged in the RPT file about a variable being undefined on line 794. The error seems to pretty much halt the OPCOM from doing anything else. If the function viewer is accurate for line numbers, then it's probably in this part of the processing.

case "getobjectivebyid": {
           	ASSERT_TRUE(typeName _args == "STRING",str _args);

private ["_objective","_id"];
			_id = _args;
			{
				if (([_x,"objectiveID"] call ALiVE_fnc_hashGet) == _id) exitwith {_objective = _x};
			} foreach ([_logic, "objectives"] call ALIVE_fnc_HashGet);

_result = _objective;
	};

Thanks for the reply, I'll give this a go and see what happens ;P , maybe one of the devs can shed some light on this error/generally clear this up?

Cheers guys

To follow up on my own reply earlier about removeObjective, it does seem to work actually. The script error occurs for any profiles that are moving towards that objective when they reach their staging.

So it does seem possible to remove objectives dynamically, but right now generates a script error. No idea if that causes further problems, but at least it provides some hope that we can script dynamic goals for the OPCOMs! :)

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

Thanks for the reply, I'll give this a go and see what happens ;P , maybe one of the devs can shed some light on this error/generally clear this up?

Cheers guys

These are the two functions I wrote for my objective testing, hopefully saves you the debugging I had to do ;)

cjb_addObjectiveToSides = {
private["_objectiveParams","_factions","_faction","_opcom","_opcomSide","_baseObjName"];
_objectiveParams = _this select 0;
_factions = _this select 1;
_baseObjName = _objectiveParams select 0;
{
	_opcom = _x;
	{
		_faction = _x;
		_opcomSide = [_opcom,"side",""] call ALiVE_fnc_HashGet;
		_objectiveParams set[0, format["%1_%2",_baseObjName,_opcomSide]];
		if( _opcomSide == _faction) then {
			[_opcom, "addObjective", _objectiveParams] call ALiVE_fnc_OPCOM;
		};
	} forEach _factions;
} forEach OPCOM_INSTANCES;
};

cjb_removeObjectiveFromSides = {
private["_objectiveID","_factions","_faction","_opcom","_opcomSide","_baseObjName"];
_baseObjName = _this select 0;
_factions = _this select 1;
{
	_opcom = _x;
	{
		_faction = _x;
		_opcomSide = [_opcom,"side",""] call ALiVE_fnc_HashGet;
		_objectiveID = format["%1_%2",_baseObjName,_opcomSide];
		if( _opcomSide == _faction) then {
			[_opcom, "removeObjective", _objectiveID] call ALiVE_fnc_OPCOM;
		};
	} forEach _factions;
} forEach OPCOM_INSTANCES;
};

You call them like so:

[["hill214obj",getMarkerPos "hill214",_size,"MIL",_priority],["EAST"]] call cjb_addObjectiveToSides;

["hill214obj",["EAST"]] call cjb_removeObjectiveFromSides;

To follow up on my own reply earlier about removeObjective, it does seem to work actually. The script error occurs for any profiles that are moving towards that objective when they reach their staging.

So it does seem possible to remove objectives dynamically, but right now generates a script error. No idea if that causes further problems, but at least it provides some hope that we can script dynamic goals for the OPCOMs! :)

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

These are the two functions I wrote for my objective testing, hopefully saves you the debugging I had to do ;)

;

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. It works so far, I didn't even get any errors.

When this is all finished I'll upload and show the power of the dynamic OPCOM objectives!

Upon closer inspection, reinforcements still get sent to the removed objective, although when OPCOM debug is on the objective marker is removed so maybe there is a need to compile an updated list of objectives to the opcom. E.g. when an objective is removed, opcom rescans for objectives (obv the removed one will get ditched).

It is out of my technical knowledge tho lol :p

F5 is my friend today

Edited by spitfirefrench