wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

I have a really basic mission set up right now that I'll be building on for a series of missions that all use Alive to populate the map a bit. Problem is, even with a freshly downloaded Alive, it fails to load some script and gives a long directory for it. But the error pops up and the mission stops loading and I have to force quit the game.

Script that the error references is: x\alive\addons\fnc_analysis\data\data.pja307.sqf

And unpacking the PBO confirms that the script is nowhere to be found.

With a different mission, I loaded in, was able to run around for a second, and then the loading screen came back up and just stuck on. Once again had to force quit.

Edited by MordeaniisChaos

pja307 is FSF Dariyah and I don't believe it is indexed for ALiVE yet, which is why it would crash like that. Check the supported maps on the ALiVE wiki.

On the "different mission" you tried, what map was it and what modules did you have placed?

There no Addins folder in @alive? do you mean addons?

Server Admins must update the ALiVE Plugin for v0.6.8. Copy the files from @ALIVE/Addins into your @ArmA2net/addins folder

Where are you getting your @ALiVE addon from? If you get it from the official ALiVE site it should have an "addins" folder in it. Take the files from that and put it in the "addins" folder that is inside @ArmA2Net on the server.

So I just started playing ALiVE (singleplayer) and it's awesome, thanks for the great work! However, I have a few questions:

1) How do I save the game? ESC --> Save doesn't work. I've read that running a local server works (with persistance??) but only with two players minimum? No way for me to play singleplayer and save? I've tried two missions, one downloaded and the showcase (foursome)

2) How do I get more missions? Do I need to build them? Is there any website (except the missions page on the alivemod website) to download more?

3) Any tips/tricks for a new player?

4) How do I get an Alive Tablet in missions, so I can call for support / taxi's?

Edited by gerwim

can anyone point me to some docs or help me with using the persistent database. I can't get it to restore position etc of players even when using save player data and server save and exit.

OHally did you get this sorted out?

So I just started playing ALiVE (singleplayer) and it's awesome, thanks for the great work! However, I have a few questions:

1) How do I save the game? ESC --> Save doesn't work. I've read that running a local server works (with persistance??) but only with two players minimum? No way for me to play singleplayer and save? I've tried two missions, one downloaded and the showcase (foursome)

2) How do I get more missions? Do I need to build them? Is there any website (except the missions page on the alivemod website) to download more?

3) Any tips/tricks for a new player?

4) How do I get an Alive Tablet in missions, so I can call for support / taxi's?

1 - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169350-ALiVE-Advanced-Light-Infantry-Virtual-Environment&p=2719299&viewfull=1#post2719299

Note that SP saving is not officially supported and on larger missions it will cause Out of Memory errors. Your best bet is to use a dedicated server.

2 - you can check Armaholic or the Steam workshop for more missions... other than that I don't know where else you'd find them. It's also pretty easy to create your own mission in the editor using the ALiVE modules

3 - Read the ALiVE wiki :p http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

4 - Open the mission in the editor and add these modules:

- Requires ALiVE

- Profiles

- Admin Actions (optional)

- CAS Support then add whatever CAS modules you wish (transport) and sync them to the main CAS module

- check here for more info: http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Combat_Support

pja307 is FSF Dariyah and I don't believe it is indexed for ALiVE yet, which is why it would crash like that. Check the supported maps on the ALiVE wiki.

On the "different mission" you tried, what map was it and what modules did you have placed?

Huh, I thought that Alive could still function to some extent on addon maps that weren't "supported." I remember using it before on unsupported maps before. And I thought they were working on a system to rely less on maps being supported by the mod, I figured that'd be in by now but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

Oh well. I'll look into a solution. Thanks for the response.

Hi, I have been testing the Insurgency mission template with the database enabled. I have found that player location and kit spawn correctly however it seems to not save the helmets. So when you rejoin the server you have no helmet.

MordeaniisChaos - sometimes it mostly works out of the box, sometimes it crashes. It seems to depend on how the maps are built. While ALiVE can technically auto-discover new maps as we originally intended, it can take a very long time and has the potential to cause more issues than it solves so we still prefer to do it manually for now.

wraith676 - hats is a known error, though we don't know what's causing it yet - still work in progress! For now, a simple work around is to stick your hat in a backpack before logging off.

In other news - Highhead is hard at work on the "lift & shift" player logistics module, which is now mostly complete and working with our database for full persistence of player moved objects. This will be "on by default" when running ALiVE with an optional editor module to disable it. We're working on a simple interface and it will be ready for testing soonâ„¢.

Edited by friznit2

@friznit2

After further testing with the ARTY module the arty still move if one of the 3 units gets attacked or destroyed and also they dont respawn if all 3 get destroyed.

Hope that helps.

hi, i dont know if its the newest update of your mod or its update from bis, but suddenly i cant get my admin actions menu up, what ever i set the action 20 key to? pretty annoying, im the only having that problem? i have been toying around with HAL for acouple of weeeks, so havent tried your updatet version af alive before yesterday...

Not having any issues with that our side. Default is the right app key if you have one?

Nemuik - please log a ticket on the bug tracker. Tup will look at it if his work schedule ever lets him!

sixt, we just got that confirmed working - set key and restart game! maybe its some conflicting mod that hard-binds it?

I think I just realized why the ai doesn't send all of its forces on to one objective (even if there was one objective).

It's because they are defending what they have captured and not balls to walling it.

This is frustrating when you have have a simple attack mission set up and some of the units stay back but it is critical for larger scaled missions.

Or maybe I am assuming too much and blabbering like an idiot. Lol. Can a dev confirm?

Can we get a little more info on what's going to be in the next logistics update? If it's not too much to ask.

It fixed it self somehow, i changed my old key setting, and it suddenly worked. I thought i tried that yesterday, but was alittle tired after a hard work day, so maybe that confused me alittle :) but thanks for you fast respons, and sorry that i set you on needless work. Next time i will check it alittle more before posting. Im a really big fan of your mod, its super easy to setup, and it really gives a feeling of fighting a strategic war, with and living battlefield. So keep up the good work, specialy looking forward to ypur insurgency module :)

Sixt

Nemiuk - please log a ticket on the bug tracker. Tup will look at it if his work schedule ever lets him!

Bug report submited, thank you:)

Hi everyone, I have a query. Im currently making a new alive map on Altis and am populating the BLU_F side with US Marines "mas_usa_mars", this works fine for the infantry but I cant seem to spawn in vehicles of any type. I am seeing a few things pop up on the screen like BIS_FNC_groupvehicle fail to initialise, and BIS_FNC_MODCURATOR" fail to initialise or something like that. I am not sure what this means, but when i replace US Marines with the vanilla BLU_F Nato units the vehicles appear. What could the issue be here??? Any suggestions appreciated. Should I be putting something in the Alive Military module re: the vehicles? Does the US MARINES from massi have vehicles even???

I'll say this again - ALiVE does not require any special configs or compatibility settings. It simply spawns groups configured using the standard BIS template. If vehicles are not spawning with a particular addon the issue does not lie with ALiVE and we cannot help you. I wish I could, but we're no experts in the group configs and can only refer you to the BI Wiki, editing forums. All I can say is ALiVE spawns are proven to work with vanilla units and several known addons, such as ohally's Aggressors.

And again.... :)

Just to be absolutely clear: unit addons need to follow standard group config conventions if they are to work with anything that calls BIS_FNC_GroupXXX or similar functions. If they use custom group class types, BIS func won't recognise them and they won't work with group spawn scripts. If an addon maker is unwilling or unable to do so, then it simply means they can't be used with ALiVE. We are not in a position to dictate to anyone how they want to set up their addon or what editor sub menus they want their units to show up in but must rely entirely on their good will. I suggest if enough people want to use these addons with ALiVE, you would do well to respectfully request they change the configs or provide a separate, optional custom config.

Accoustic - that's correct. Details of how OPCOM works are hidden deep in the darkest, most inaccessible parts of the internet where only the foolish dare to venture. Alternatively, you can try the ALiVE wiki.

Edited by friznit2

Hi, is there a simple way to reduce tanks, of selected Battalion 800, with light infantry and no ambient vehicles, and there was tons of armour, is there a reduction method? and would you mind telling me the exact modules to place for civilains in towns with CQB resistance in there, I no the marker bit, I just dnt seem to be able to get the civ's and cqb showing, my debug always comes up empty

Thanks for the reply Friz, don't get me wrong, I have no issue with these mods not being correctly configured with Alive, I just was not sure what the cause was that was making the BIS_FNC thing happen. I am more than happy to just use the standard vehicles with alive which is what I am now doing, I just wanted some clarity re: the issue so I know for the future. unit and vehicle mods are nice but a proper working Alive/Arma 3 is more important. THanks again.

The force weightings are representative of real world battle groups compositions but it's still chance based, so if the probabilities played against you it could be why you got seemingly too much armour this one time. There's no way to tweak it at the moment but we are looking into changing it all so editors can choose very specific force comps - despite what people say, 100% realism really isn't all that popular!

Place Civ Pop System module and Civilian Placement modules (don't need to sync them) for civs. For resistance fighters, place one or more CQB modules and optionally add a TAOR marker or sync to a Mil Placement module with a TAOR define. The map you're using needs to have recognisable towns/cities within the marker areas. You can test this by placing a single Civ Placement module with debug on and no priority or size filtering, then preview the map - it'll show every area that is recognised as a civilian centre.

-lordsoth- no probs. We know why they don't work but it's not our place to dictate the solution. That's up to the respective addon makers, it's their stuff after all!

for some reason my support requester doesn't give me any on screen info anymore I.e request smoke for transport etc, does there have to be a debug option on?

I did a search in this thread but could not find any results.

Will ALiVE be adding static weapon placements in the future? Insurgency in Arma 2 would randomly place static weapons on roofs of buildings (e.g. KORDs and Dhskms). It really added intensity and variation to battles. Pilots were also forced to think much more wisely about choosing LZs and also took much greater risk when flying low over AOs. Plus, it gave more jobs for the infantry units as it meant you'd have to make sure an area was clear of all static weapons before calling CAS or transport.

Would tie in perfectly with a mod like RDS especially.

Edited by Goodson