wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Unless you are logging into your Win 7 desktop as administrator this will likely be your own user directory so look there instead. (ie. replace your login with administrator in the instructions).

And BTW, all these instructions are probably not needed as that looks like setting up just the stand-alone server on a computer where you don't have Arma3 client installed. The normal client install I believe also includes the stand-alone server (ie. arma3server.exe). All you would need to do is run that. But the best way to do that and setup all your profile files and setting etc. is to use Tophe's Arma Server Launcher (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?104991-Tophe-s-Arma-Dedicated-Server-Tool-(TADST)). In fact launching any other way is just painful ;)

I've tried using Tophe's Arma Server launcher as well. I don't think I understand what to select under "Reporting IP". I've tried using my internal IP (the one starts with 192.168) and I've tried using my external IP and I've tried using a couple of the default gamespy servers listed in Tophe's app. Nothing seems to work though and my server is still never listed when I load ARMA.

I've tried using Tophe's Arma Server launcher as well. I don't think I understand what to select under "Reporting IP". I've tried using my internal IP (the one starts with 192.168) and I've tried using my external IP and I've tried using a couple of the default gamespy servers listed in Tophe's app. Nothing seems to work though and my server is still never listed when I load ARMA.

The 192.168.xx.xx address won't work that's your internal private network address.

Your external IP address is what is required for the War Room and can be obtained from here

http://whatismyipaddress.com

Sorry but Setting up and configuring a Dedi server is not something I'm going into details about, there are plenty of instructions on how to do this all over the place, however if you use a batch file to run Arma then just change the arma3.exe to arma3server.exe.

The 192.168.xx.xx address won't work that's your internal private network address.

Your external IP address is what is required for the War Room and can be obtained from here

http://whatismyipaddress.com

Sorry but Setting up and configuring a Dedi server is not something I'm going into details about, there are plenty of instructions on how to do this all over the place, however if you use a batch file to run Arma then just change the arma3.exe to arma3server.exe.

I tried the external IP as well. Doesn't work. Neither do any of those gamespy servers listed in the program. Gamespy is not even in business anymore, right? If you have a link to good instructions on how to do this, I would appreciate it.

I just tried setting up the dedicated server on another pc but I don't see my server listed anywhere. It appears to be working though. It reads:

"Dedicated host created.

Host identity created."

But no server listed. I've fowarded ports 2300 - 2305 by the way along with some other ports. Nothing is working.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize that all of the servers were only Steam servers and that I needed to click on Steam at the top-right to change it to gamespy servers. It was confusing because it also says "powered by gamespy" at the top right.

Edited by JaySmizzle

Is this new persistence supposed to save my location because it doesn't appear to be doing that? In fact, I don't think anything is saving even though I'm connected to War Room and when I leave it says that it's successfully saved. I must be doing something wrong. By the way, I have a database module added and persistence turned on for both OpCom's.

Edited by JaySmizzle

Hi, it is possible to play in single player mode saving and resuming at another time?

Thanks. Awesome work anyway.

Player persistence is not available yet between server restarts. We are hoping to release a hot fix soon.

Today we are persisting any enemy AI that are being profiled, OPCOM state and objectives and CQB enemy.

Saving in SP is not supported.

Edited by Tupolov

I've just realised that the mission I'd made to use ALiVE might not be all that suitable.

I'm randomising the AO at load between 4 different locations. Presumably that's not a good thing once connecting to the War Room and saving??

If you have MP Persistence on it'll either load the last state from the War Room, in which case your new AOs will be ignored, or it'll create new ones as well as the old, which could get busy. You could turn MP/OPCOM Persistence off and just leave Profiles Persistence on (and Player once we fix the bug) - that way your MP Objectives will refresh, OPCOM will reassess them but the available Profiled AI will be the same as when you left off.

Hopefully this will help others...

If you virtualize your dedicated server (VMWare ESXi, VMWare Workstation, Oracle's VirtualBox, etc.), you can run a persistent dedicated server which survives host reboots/shutdowns by suspending the virtual machine. In this way, you can "pause" the dedicated server if it won't be utilized for a few days, etc. and come back to the machine once you resume it with everything in tact.

This will only work if you have the ability to create/suspend/resume a virtual machine, of course, but it allows you the flexibility of shutting down the host machine entirely. If you would like to continue to use the dedicated server in between playable sessions, you can create a "snapshot" after the suspend and continue to use the new snapshot/branch for testing/playing. When you're ready, just revert to the prior snapshot and resume your session.

If you virtualize your dedicated server (VMWare ESXi, VMWare Workstation, Oracle's VirtualBox, etc.), you can run a persistent dedicated server which survives host reboots/shutdowns by suspending the virtual machine. In this way, you can "pause" the dedicated server if it won't be utilized for a few days, etc. and come back to the machine once you resume it with everything in tact.

This will only work if you have the ability to create/suspend/resume a virtual machine, of course, but it allows you the flexibility of shutting down the host machine entirely. If you would like to continue to use the dedicated server in between playable sessions, you can create a "snapshot" after the suspend and continue to use the new snapshot/branch for testing/playing. When you're ready, just revert to the prior snapshot and resume your session.

Good point. I've done this before and it works well.

Player persistence is not available yet between server restarts. We are hoping to release a hot fix soon.

Today we are persisting any enemy AI that are being profiled, OPCOM state and objectives and CQB enemy.

Saving in SP is not supported.

But not friendly AI? I have a simple mission that involves two sides: BLU_F and OPF_F. Myself and my friend are on the BLU_F side and we're the only real players in the server. The BLU_F and OPF_F sides both have their own OPCOM and military placements. Should I expect to have persistence with both sides and have their locations and numbers saved when I shut down my dedicated server and restart it later?

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Is that a service that costs around $200/month?

But not friendly AI? I have a simple mission that involves two sides: BLU_F and OPF_F. Myself and my friend are on the BLU_F side and we're the only real players in the server. The BLU_F and OPF_F sides both have their own OPCOM and military placements. Should I expect to have persistence with both sides and have their locations and numbers saved when I shut down my dedicated server and restart it later?

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

My guess is the enemy AI was a typo or they meant all AI. I don't see why they would profile one side. Plus if you have players on both side which is actually the enemy??!!

VirtualBox is a free product that you can download and install.

If you'd like to host your own virtualized dedicated server locally (i.e., on you own network), you generally have three options:

- Separate host (computer) running "bare metal" virtualization software (which means you boot into the software and it does not exist on top of any other OS), such as VMWare ESXi (free)

- Separate host (computer) running VMWare Workstation or Fusion (cost), Oracle VirtualBox (free) or other software on top of another OS (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.)

- Same computer as Arma 3 client

The above three options require a varying degree of technical skill and a copy of Windows 7, for example. Additionally, the first two options require a second computer system (just for the processor and memory... the video card can be fairly basic). The last item may be feasible, but may be challenging depending on your computers processing power, etc. You would install your copy of Windows into any of the above environments and install the dedicated server normally.

In addition to the above, a good router is also required (which is also fairly inexpensive these days). Not only can forward the necessary ports to your dedicated machine, but it will usually come with QoS (quality of service) which will allow you to prioritize the network traffic from outside clients to/from your dedicated server.

There are limitations, of course. The amount of people you can host is dependent on the quality and speed of your network connection. If you host small parties, the above should be more than adequate. Additionally, it will give you the flexibility of creating a continuous, persistent world.

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy. All profiles get persisted ;)

Suspending VM's to 'freeze' MP games is perfectly viable - it's been around for a while as an option for those who have the facility to do it. The downside is you can't edit your mission or benefit from any of the data capture that occurs with the DB method of persistence (e.g. War Room). Anyway, as this is the ALiVE thread and not one about VMware, one of our goals is to make dynamic persistent MP campaigns readily accessible to everyone, regardless of their level of technical expertise hence plonking modules in map editor. Press button, receive bacon....profit. I'm sure there's a very comprehensive discussion about VM's in the Server forum.

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy. All profiles get persisted ;)

Suspending VM's to 'freeze' MP games is perfectly viable - it's been around for a while as an option for those who have the facility to do it. The downside is you can't edit your mission or benefit from any of the data capture that occurs with the DB method of persistence (e.g. War Room). Anyway, as this is the ALiVE thread and not one about VMware, one of our goals is to make dynamic persistent MP campaigns readily accessible to everyone, regardless of their level of technical expertise hence plonking modules in map editor. Press button, receive bacon....profit. I'm sure there's a very comprehensive discussion about VM's in the Server forum.

I completely agree.. it's an option and is not mutually exclusive to multiplayer persistence of ALiVE. Additionally, for the masses, your persistence methods allow for greater reach among the community.

I do prefer the ALiVE way, and look forward to using that in lieu of suspending VMs.

Do you forsee an option for persisting locally (to a local DB as opposed to the cloud?)

If you'd like to host your own virtualized dedicated server locally (i.e., on you own network), you generally have three options:

- Separate host (computer) running "bare metal" virtualization software (which means you boot into the software and it does not exist on top of any other OS), such as VMWare ESXi (free)

- Separate host (computer) running VMWare Workstation or Fusion (cost), Oracle VirtualBox (free) or other software on top of another OS (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.)

- Same computer as Arma 3 client

The above three options require a varying degree of technical skill and a copy of Windows 7, for example. Additionally, the first two options require a second computer system (just for the processor and memory... the video card can be fairly basic). The last item may be feasible, but may be challenging depending on your computers processing power, etc. You would install your copy of Windows into any of the above environments and install the dedicated server normally.

In addition to the above, a good router is also required (which is also fairly inexpensive these days). Not only can forward the necessary ports to your dedicated machine, but it will usually come with QoS (quality of service) which will allow you to prioritize the network traffic from outside clients to/from your dedicated server.

There are limitations, of course. The amount of people you can host is dependent on the quality and speed of your network connection. If you host small parties, the above should be more than adequate. Additionally, it will give you the flexibility of creating a continuous, persistent world.

Thanks for the info. I may get into that at some point but for now I think I'll just focus on ALIVE's new persistence. I went to a virtual dedicated server website (I forget which one) and downloaded their 360 page manual and decided that I didn't have that much time to spend on it right now. I like the idea of having a continuous, persistent world though.

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Is persistence working for anyone? I assume it is but it isn't for me. Naturally, I assume I'm doing something wrong here. I've confirmed that my mission and events in my mission are being displayed in the War Room. I left my server running for a while and then took a picture of the map which included some of the AI unit positions. I then saved and exited the mission. Then I loaded the server back up and joined and loaded the same mission but it doesn't appear to have saved anything; the AI units start in completely different positions and it's obvious that nothing has happened yet. Is there some way of loading the saved persistence? I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

EDIT: I just noticed this in the wiki under Database: "The functionality only works on Dedicated Server MP games with 2 or more players."

I've been testing this with just myself in the game. Does persistence not actually save with only one player?

Edited by JaySmizzle

I just noticed this in the wiki under Database: "The functionality only works on Dedicated Server MP games with 2 or more players."

I've been testing this with just myself in the game. Does persistence not actually save with only one player?

Is there a reason why its need 2 or more players ? as i was trying to test as well on my own - so no wonder it would not work ..LOL

Also getting this spamming my .rpt:- ??????????????

File x\alive\addons\sys_data\fnc_parseJSON.sqf, line 111
Error in expression <{
private ["_char"];
_char = _charArray select _pos;
switch (_char) do {
case 12>
 Error position: <select _pos;
switch (_char) do {
case 12>
 Error Zero divisor

1 para, you need to download latest version, also check your alive.log file

The icons on the world map represent different groups. How is the geographic location determined? I have set up a group and I'm running a server. Player stat tracking is working, but I don't see an icon for my group on the War Room map. I live in the western US and that is where my server is located.

Fantastic work by the developers for this mod! There is a lot to like about it. I'm really enjoying it. :)

Thank you,

Snakeyes

You chose the location when you set up the group. An admin can change it for you if you want to move.

Hey guys, I have a recommendation/question.

Have you guys ever thought of making it so the AI commander can organize assaults that involve transport? E.g the AI tells you to go to an area or sends a heli to pick you up, send you too a staging area, and then from there you and a bunch of AI/squads the AI assigns to the task, move out together via heli assault .

Hey guys, I have a recommendation/question.

Have you guys ever thought of making it so the AI commander can organize assaults that involve transport? E.g the AI tells you to go to an area or sends a heli to pick you up, send you too a staging area, and then from there you and a bunch of AI/squads the AI assigns to the task, move out together via heli assault .

funny, we are just discussing this as this is the next big step: LOGISTICS :)

will be shipped to your doors with 0.7 (we are at 0.6.5 at the moment)

funny, we are just discussing this as this is the next big step: LOGISTICS :)

will be shipped to your doors with 0.7 (we are at 0.6.5 at the moment)

Oh alright, great!

Any insights how the system will work to hold us over? :D

Ahhh logistics, this is THE feature i'm look forward to, had so much fun building our FOB's under enemy fire, just like in Restrepo. What objects will the first release use (i.e bunkers, Hbarrier, ammo boxes, static weapons) or it is still too soon to ask?