wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

^ correct max active profiles is for groups spawned by MP/CP placements and does not include CQB guys

It should not have that drastic of an effect.. I've used 50% on high on Fallujah and while it certainly puts a strain it should not cut FPS in half. Are you spawning CQB guys on clients, server or HC?

^I strongly doubt that

I'm spawning them on 'JIP Clients'. Mission takes place in Zargabad. If you really managed to do the above, what spawn distances did you use?

For Fallujah? Can't recall exactly but probably 300m or less... never having more than 100-120 AI at any one time. If your connected players have crappy bandwidth this can also affect things.

Hi, I installed ALiVE but when I try to run it I get a bunch of erros like missing WorldCFG, or missising ALiVE_main, ALiVE_sys, etc.

Sounds like a corrupt install... What's your mod line and what pbo's do u have in your @alive folder?

In my experience with mission making on Takistan - certain areas I cannot get ALiVE to populate with enemy and no CQB functionality. The areas are just south of Rasman and Bastam regions.....that being said, I do have ALiVE working well in most if not all other areas on Takistan.

I second that notion. Takistan (with A3MP) is quite hard on finding objectives for MC- and MP-modules in the southern half of the map. It'd be great if that could be tweaked. Additionally the CQB locations for both Takistan and Zargabad are quite too few. I think Zargabad (the town itself not the whole map) has like 20 CQB locations, which is practically none compared to the amount of houses...

Sounds like a corrupt install... What's your mod line and what pbo's do u have in your @alive folder?

-mod=@Blastcore;@CBA_A3;@alive;@F35;@FA18;@HIP;@USMC;@JSRS;@A3MP;@SFWeapons;@CAF;@Karma;@ASDG;@AG;@mas;@mas1;@mas2;@Nzi;@A10;@SU35;@PMC;@MV22;@marsof;@C130;@A3MPAP;@Clafghan;@fata;@Thirsk;@PLA;@fall;@C17;@RAM

the main @folder has addons, keys, mpmissions,alive_logo.paa, and mod.cpp

these files are all the files in the addons folder

amb_civ_command.pbo

amb_civ_command.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

amb_civ_placement.pbo

amb_civ_placement.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

amb_civ_population.pbo

amb_civ_population.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

civ_placement.pbo

civ_placement.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

fnc_analysis.pbo

fnc_analysis.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

fnc_strategic.pbo

fnc_strategic.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

grp_a3.pbo

grp_a3.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

list.txt

main.pbo

main.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_command.pbo

mil_command.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_convoy.pbo

mil_convoy.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_CQB.pbo

mil_CQB.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_intelligence.pbo

mil_intelligence.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_logistics.pbo

mil_logistics.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_OPCOM.pbo

mil_OPCOM.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_placement.pbo

mil_placement.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sup_artillery.pbo

sup_artillery.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sup_cas.pbo

sup_cas.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sup_combatsupport.pbo

sup_combatsupport.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sup_multispawn.pbo

sup_multispawn.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sup_transport.pbo

sup_transport.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_adminactions.pbo

sys_adminactions.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_aiskill.pbo

sys_aiskill.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_crewinfo.pbo

sys_crewinfo.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_data.pbo

sys_data.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_data_couchdb.pbo

sys_data_couchdb.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_data_sql.pbo

sys_data_sql.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_debug.pbo

sys_debug.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_event_log.pbo

sys_event_log.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_GC.pbo

sys_GC.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_newsfeed.pbo

sys_newsfeed.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_perf.pbo

sys_perf.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_player.pbo

sys_player.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_playertags.pbo

sys_playertags.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_profile.pbo

sys_profile.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_statistics.pbo

sys_statistics.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_viewdistance.pbo

sys_viewdistance.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_weather.pbo

sys_weather.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_xstream.pbo

sys_xstream.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

ui.pbo

ui.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

-mod=@Blastcore;@CBA_A3;@alive;@F35;@FA18;@HIP;@USMC;@JSRS;@A3MP;@SFWeapons;@CAF;@Karma;@ASDG;@AG;@mas;@mas1;@mas2;@Nzi;@A10;@SU35;@PMC;@MV22;@marsof;@C130;@A3MPAP;@Clafghan;@fata;@Thirsk;@PLA;@fall;@C17;@RAM

the main @folder has addons, keys, mpmissions,alive_logo.paa, and mod.cpp

these files are all the files in the addons folder

amb_civ_command.pbo

amb_civ_command.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

amb_civ_placement.pbo

amb_civ_placement.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

amb_civ_population.pbo

amb_civ_population.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

civ_placement.pbo

civ_placement.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

fnc_analysis.pbo

fnc_analysis.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

fnc_strategic.pbo

fnc_strategic.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

grp_a3.pbo

grp_a3.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

list.txt

main.pbo

main.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_command.pbo

mil_command.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_convoy.pbo

mil_convoy.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_CQB.pbo

mil_CQB.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_intelligence.pbo

mil_intelligence.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_logistics.pbo

mil_logistics.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_OPCOM.pbo

mil_OPCOM.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

mil_placement.pbo

mil_placement.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sup_artillery.pbo

sup_artillery.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sup_cas.pbo

sup_cas.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sup_combatsupport.pbo

sup_combatsupport.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sup_multispawn.pbo

sup_multispawn.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sup_transport.pbo

sup_transport.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_adminactions.pbo

sys_adminactions.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_aiskill.pbo

sys_aiskill.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_crewinfo.pbo

sys_crewinfo.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_data.pbo

sys_data.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_data_couchdb.pbo

sys_data_couchdb.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_data_sql.pbo

sys_data_sql.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_debug.pbo

sys_debug.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_event_log.pbo

sys_event_log.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_GC.pbo

sys_GC.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_newsfeed.pbo

sys_newsfeed.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_perf.pbo

sys_perf.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_player.pbo

sys_player.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_playertags.pbo

sys_playertags.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_profile.pbo

sys_profile.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_statistics.pbo

sys_statistics.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_viewdistance.pbo

sys_viewdistance.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_weather.pbo

sys_weather.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

sys_xstream.pbo

sys_xstream.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

ui.pbo

ui.pbo.ALiVE.bisign

Looks ok, can you please try without any mods besides CBA and ALiVE.

Well that's unfortunate. Would you guys possibly consider that as a feature later? Being able to edit/change or add/delete bases during the mission via script would open up a whole lot of options for mission makers. I realize that ALiVE simulates this by default, but for mission coding's sake it really needs to be scriptable.

^I strongly doubt that

I'm spawning them on 'JIP Clients'. Mission takes place in Zargabad. If you really managed to do the above, what spawn distances did you use?

Zargabad does something funny to FPS anyway regardless of AI... try the same number of Ai on any other map with lots of houses and they're fine.. but Zargabad is a bombhole... It's always been the same !!!

What we've found to work well is create a CQB black list to cover the centre and replace it with a few custom objectives.. that way you can fight CQB through to the centre and then the OpCom is trying to occupy using profiled units which seem to be easier on the FPS...

SJ

Anyone know of any PvP ARMA 3 ALiVE servers? Much like insurgency that MilitaryGaming ran on their ACE server just with civilian AI and missions that appear based on players actions (on both teams) like killing civilians (making them hostile towards what ever faction killed the civilians), players storing weapons (like if opfor where to store weapons after a raid, civilians could be asked or detained to uncover details about the location of the cache) and so on.

Hi

Maybe this is per design (I don't have real experience with artillery), but when calling in artillery via the support module, the radio transmission finished the "splash. out." and that they're done firing long before the shells starts hitting the target. I understand that the artillery takes time, so my question is more in the direction if the radio transmissions should be configured with a longer delay so that they correspond to what actually happens on-screen.

If this is per design and the correct realistic way, please feel free to insult me. ;)

Hey @ARJay. Our group is currently enjoying the insurgency mission, the one from ALiVE sample missions. It's great, diverse and provides completely different experience each time we play. One question though: we've never seen the enemy use combat helicopters against us. EVERYTHING but helicopters. Military bases across the map are populated with enemy and they have helos on the helo pads but they seem to never get into action. Any idea how to make them fight us?

Hi

Maybe this is per design (I don't have real experience with artillery), but when calling in artillery via the support module, the radio transmission finished the "splash. out." and that they're done firing long before the shells starts hitting the target. I understand that the artillery takes time, so my question is more in the direction if the radio transmissions should be configured with a longer delay so that they correspond to what actually happens on-screen.

If this is per design and the correct realistic way, please feel free to insult me. ;)

Unfortunately this is a BIS Issue, we use the getArtilleryETA figure and use that to delay the splash message.

---------- Post added at 08:32 ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 ----------

Hey @ARJay. Our group is currently enjoying the insurgency mission, the one from ALiVE sample missions. It's great, diverse and provides completely different experience each time we play. One question though: we've never seen the enemy use combat helicopters against us. EVERYTHING but helicopters. Military bases across the map are populated with enemy and they have helos on the helo pads but they seem to never get into action. Any idea how to make them fight us?

We ALiVE Dev's did not create the Insurgency mission Sacha and Haze from our Closed Testers Group did, however personally I would question Insurgents being able to use Air Assets.

We ALiVE Dev's did not create the Insurgency mission Sacha and Haze from our Closed Testers Group did, however personally I would question Insurgents being able to use Air Assets.

Well, the question is not even about the mission but about Military Placement module being able to deploy air forces to defend objectives

Takistan (with A3MP) is quite hard on finding objectives for MC- and MP-modules in the southern half of the map. It'd be great if that could be tweaked. Additionally the CQB locations for both Takistan and Zargabad are quite too few.

ALiVE can only find existing locations, so it is dependent on how the map is made. You could add a few custom objectives for OPCOM if you want more.

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Well that's unfortunate. Would you guys possibly consider that as a feature later?

Please read my previous reply for how to do this - I explained in detail for you. Adding (and removing, in the next release) custom objectives for OPCOM during runtime is possible now. If you don't use MP/MCP predefined objectives at all and just place logic markers you can manipulate them with scripts at will. Please see the wiki for more info.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Well, the question is not even about the mission but about Military Placement module being able to deploy air forces to defend objectives

It can, and does if the faction can use helicopters and there are air units defined in the ALiVE battle groups. We're working on fast jets - the AI doesn't seem to like using them very much and requires some encouragement.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

ALiVE devs will only insult each other and not other people, sorry!

Realistic arty fire missions will call "Splash" 5 seconds before the rounds hit the target. Depending on the flight time, the guns may well have stopped firing long before this ("Rounds Complete"). After all the rounds have landed, you will here "End of Mission". We try to simulate this in ALiVE as closely as possible but the vagaries of BIS arty system scripts and server/client FPS can mess it up sometimes.

Talks about Insurgency Mission, then about Air Assets, no mention of Military Placement Module :rolleyes:

Realistic arty fire missions will call "Splash" 5 seconds before the rounds hit the target. Depending on the flight time, the guns may well have stopped firing long before this ("Rounds Complete"). After all the rounds have landed, you will here "End of Mission". We try to simulate this in ALiVE as closely as possible but the vagaries of BIS arty system scripts and server/client FPS can mess it up sometimes.

Thanks for the detailed answer. FYI, all my experience during my sessions gives "End of Mission" before the first visual splash on screen, not during or after. Not a big issue at all, I'll adjust. :)

No problem! I'll add it to the Arty improvement request ticket - couple of things I'd like to tweak, though it's fairly low priority at the moment!

ALiVE can only find existing locations, so it is dependent on how the map is made. You could add a few custom objectives for OPCOM if you want more.

I get that, but the question is: All these houses are objects placed on the map. They're shown in the editor with their respective names (if you hover over it with your mouse cursor). But there's still got to be something wrong with them since Alive doesn't recognize them. I wonder what's the reason for that.

Houses must be enterable for CQB to use them - the majority of buildings on older, pre-Takistan maps like Fallujah are non-enterable. MP/MCP on the other hand looks for military installations (barracks, bases etc) or civilian infrastructure respectively (e.g. power stations or factories, not civilian houses). Southern Takistan is predominantly civilian villages and houses with very few military locations (Loy Manara airbase) or civ infra (the oil installation west of the airbase). The majority of that stuff is in the North.

Houses must be enterable for CQB to use them - the majority of buildings on older, pre-Takistan maps like Fallujah are non-enterable. MP/MCP on the other hand looks for military installations (barracks, bases etc) or civilian infrastructure respectively (e.g. power stations or factories, not civilian houses). Southern Takistan is predominantly civilian villages and houses with very few military locations (Loy Manara airbase) or civ infra (the oil installation west of the airbase). The majority of that stuff is in the North.

But still almost all of the houses in southern Takistan or Zargabad are enterable. I get why Alive doesn't find many military locations in the south (the baracks at least are shown only as "house" on the map), but every settlement of more than 3 houses should be counted as a civilian location for the MCP - the factories in the southern half of Takistan aren't counted either. And as long as it works for norther Takistan (where the same buildings are placed as in the south), it can't really be a problem at A3MP's end (if it works with AiA than it's something different, but I don't know about that). A settlement is a settlement and should be a possible MCP location, even if it hasn't got a gas station.

But still almost all of the houses in southern Takistan or Zargabad are enterable. I get why Alive doesn't find many military locations in the south (the baracks at least are shown only as "house" on the map), but every settlement of more than 3 houses should be counted as a civilian location for the MCP - the factories in the southern half of Takistan aren't counted either. And as long as it works for norther Takistan (where the same buildings are placed as in the south), it can't really be a problem at A3MP's end (if it works with AiA than it's something different, but I don't know about that). A settlement is a settlement and should be a possible MCP location, even if it hasn't got a gas station.

Hi,

Could you please make a ticket with your mission (without anything than @CBA_A3, @ALiVE, and @A3MP) and tell me what to look at in the ticket, and I will do so, comrade!

Thanks!

Quick question.

So since ALiVE now initializes before the start of the mission, it takes longer to load in?

I've noticed in my latest build that once I hit continue from the slot selection screen, it can take up to 5 minutes to get into the game. Also I have OPCOM synced to a trigger to be true when Independent (my side) are present on the map. There are no non-profiled units. This causes what I guess would be called a double load. I load in, get about .3 seconds worth of "eyes on" where I spawn before being sent to the load screen again, except I can hear the sound effects in game, then eventually I get into game.

What is initializing before I get in? Is the trigger being false for OPCOM causing a problem? Any suggestions on how to get load times down would be appreciated.

Most of the map is covered with mil placement zones to populate ALL military sites. There are only 2 MIL CIV modules that are linked to 10 500x500 circles over the larger cities. CQB is set to I think 5 maybe 10% with density set to off.

I was running straight ALiVE with no other mods required in the scenario, and then I added in the Raven and Lifter along with some really basic scripts for creating ammo boxes. Didn't seem to affect the load time, pretty slow either way.

Edited by I WUB PUGS

10 seperate MILCIV PLACEMENTS ? Why not just 1 placement with multiple TAOR's surely that's more efficient ?

SJ

The more placement modules you have in the mission the longer the loading times. CQB and Civilian modules also increase load time. Both seem to be 'worse' on Altis I assume due to the sheer number of possible locations, etc. I have a simple mission that only covers the NW sector of Altis (Oreo town area) and it still takes 3-4 minutes to init.

Not sure about your trigger issue I've never experienced that before.

If you want to speed up load times the only thing you can really do is decrease the number of placement modules and / or groups. Try instead of having a bunch of MP and 10 CP placement modules to condense them somehow into as few as possible (as serjames recommended). Also test the same setup on a different map like Koplic or Stratis you will see the difference.

Edited by SavageCDN
edit: serjames Ninja