wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Alright, I've tried disabling every single mod except the following:

@A3MP

@acre

@ALiVE

@av_mods (player units I'm using for this mission)

@JayArma3Lib

@mrb_a3_voicestop

@UOCBA_A3

I'm still getting the error "[bIS_fnc_selectRandom] Array has no elements." covering the entire bottom part of the screen, extremely extremely annoying, no idea what's causing it. It happens every time enemies load in from the profiling system, so when I get in range for them to spawn the error starts exploding the bottom part of my screen.

any ideas?

Nope, no ideas, I've never seen this issue. If you want futher assistance, let me state again what I said before:

you will need to reproduce it in a vanilla mission (no mods barring CBA and ALiVE) and upload it to our tracker. seeing as your using @A3MP you can inlcude that requirement, and what map you are using.

If you want to debug this yourself I suggest you get the mission back to be as vanilla as possible - @CBA,@A3MP,@ALIVE - that means, no ACRE, no units mods, I have no idea what UOCBA_A3 is, some altered version of CBA?

Yes, as far as I know it's required for ACRE, but that may be a very old requirement.

I edited my original post, but it seems like the CQB module is what's causing the error. I can't alter the module's parameters in any way to get rid of the error. I'll try running just ALiVE and just CBA to see if that's the problem.

Ensure one BL marker is used by only one module and every module has its own BL markers! With upcoming update you can also share BL across modules! PS you can also make a ticket on our tracker, just make sure your mission has only CBA and alive so we can reproduce it!

Thanks for the quick reply - yep, only one BL marker in use in the mission and only referred to in one module.

i'll deactivate all the other mods (@bcombat;@Blastcore-A3;@realarmor;@steadyshot) tonight and try again, and if the problem persists, will make a ticket and upload mission.

recreated the mission with only a whitelist approach (much more fiddly rotating the markers etc.) but it worked and I had a great deal of fun yesterday committing suicide in varying ways on a Greek island.

this mod is insane - brilliantly insane. :-) thanks for the great work.

have another small problem... access to arty support (had it working fine alongside transport and CAS) kind of disappeared after play-testing a few hours.

the battery still shows up in the support dialog but with no further options and it doesn't say combat ineffective.

tried resyncing the module, restarting Arma3, deleting the arty support module, recreating and resyncing. basically everything i could think of.

even went to visit the battery and theres a mean looking self-propelled howitzer sitting at the module location.

Oh, how i needed its help sometimes!

any further ideas?

I fixed the error. It had nothing to do with any mods. I was leaving the second Factions text box blank in the CQB module. I thought it was an extra. I did not know one was for strategic unit placements and the other was for normal placement.

I have a separate question, totally unrelated

I've tried using the military civilian placement module to add some mechanized, motorized, and armored platoons, but I almost never see any vehicles alongside the ground units. I'm assuming I'd see a lot more if I used the regular military placement module, but is there any way to increase the number of vehicles and traffic between towns?

Thanks again for your support

Hey Guys did you have the opportunity to test it?

Hi Sorry for that.

I´ve reported some days ago that the Combat Support Helis doesnt land at the US Carrier in Utes.

Savage reccomended me to put some visible helipads there but without good results.

It seems that the helis doesnt recognize the carrier nor the helipads there, I´m getting:

"Unable to comply at the desgignated coordinates"

Mi question was if you have the opportunity to check it?

BR

It depends on the amount of profiled units and players.

I have a shared server and hosting medium scaled scenarios with 40 players works without a problem.

Maybe i have to study and still understand alive at a decent level but what do you mean with profiled units and medium scaled scenarios ? What i see is that alive fill anyway all the map with target and friendly and enemy units. Myabe the size of units depends from how many military placement i put on map and from their size ?

Yes, as far as I know it's required for ACRE, but that may be a very old requirement.

I edited my original post, but it seems like the CQB module is what's causing the error. I can't alter the module's parameters in any way to get rid of the error. I'll try running just ALiVE and just CBA to see if that's the problem.

We were using that version of CBA, but I think it is considered an old version now. Check you have the latest version - might solve you issue. Might also want to try a "Check file Validation" in steam, might be that you have a damaged A3 install ? Dunno, but worth the 5 mins to check

Good luck with it, nothing worse than a bug, but we run almost the identical setup as you with probably more mods on-top with no issues, so it's sure to be a local issue.

SJ

I'm sure this has been asked before however I can't seem to find anything. I am trying to create a military FOB and have it surrounded by H-barriers with Mil_HQ and Mil_Patrol_V2's and have it be picked up via a military placement module yet I can't seem to get it to work. Any tips or tricks for base building to work with ALiVE Military placement modules?

I'm sure this has been asked before however I can't seem to find anything. I am trying to create a military FOB and have it surrounded by H-barriers with Mil_HQ and Mil_Patrol_V2's and have it be picked up via a military placement module yet I can't seem to get it to work. Any tips or tricks for base building to work with ALiVE Military placement modules?

Hey comrade!

Its very WIP, but if you just started, first thing you should do is check our WIKI: http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ

You can define a custom OPCOM objective by doing so with http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#How_do_I_define_a_custom_objective_for_OPCOM.3F

Just place your guards manually if you want to have it guarded!

hope I could help!

This might belong as a general plea made in mission editing but since ALiVE is the main reason I want to do it I thought I'd ask here first, in case anyone else has done similar.

I got ALiVE to place profiles and start up quite quickly at mission start but there is still quite a bit of stutters and lag in the first 60 seconds or so after it begins (not all entirely due to ALiVE, I'm sure). Similarly, players joining immediately often get a few seconds to see a few TAOR markers on the map before ALiVE has a chance to remove them.

Is there a way to create a delay before players actually spawn into the game, so the server has a moment to get settled first? I've been searching the forums but I'm not sure what is the best search terms to use and I end up with hundreds of meaningless results...

I have onLoadMission = **Please wait, the mission may take a few minutes to load***; to warn the players... now how do I actually create that extra "stare at a screen doing nothing" time?

Thanks!

Hey!

Thanks for the Alive Mountain War mission.. I really like the full scale battle aspect. This mission also runs very well despite the amount of profiles on it.

Hi guys!

We have some error spamming our server .rpt and i think it could be related to one of the alive modules. Anyboy have any idee what it could be or where to search/test?

Not all units are profiled, and we are running a separat spawnscript for all vehicles. Im not shure if it that could be the reason.

All military placements on opfor side is running force weighting: random

had been awesome if one of in the ALiVE team would had time to take a look.

(think the "soldier[O_Soldier_AR_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?" error is related to our vas mod. i think)

Any feedback is appreciated here :-)

Tnx.

.rpt error here (server been running in 3 days):

} forEach _moduleFactions;

} forEach _modulesObje>
2014/02/17, 21:11:09 Error position: <_moduleFactions;

} forEach _modulesObje>
2014/02/17, 21:11:09 Error Undefined variable in expression: _modulefactions
2014/02/17, 21:11:09 File x\alive\addons\mil_logistics\fnc_ML.sqf, line 546
2014/02/17, 21:11:10 Error in expression <icle _x isKindOf "Helicopter")} && {(_x distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:10 Error position: <distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:10 Error distance: Type Bool, expected Array,Object,Location
2014/02/17, 21:11:10 File x\alive\addons\main\fnc_anyPlayersInRangeIncludeAir.sqf, line 46
2014/02/17, 21:11:10 Error in expression <icle _x isKindOf "Helicopter")} && {(_x distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:10 Error position: <distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:10 Error Generic error in expression
2014/02/17, 21:11:10 File x\alive\addons\main\fnc_anyPlayersInRangeIncludeAir.sqf, line 46
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 Error in expression <icle _x isKindOf "Helicopter")} && {(_x distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 Error position: <distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 Error distance: Type Bool, expected Array,Object,Location
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 File x\alive\addons\main\fnc_anyPlayersInRangeIncludeAir.sqf, line 46
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 Error in expression <icle _x isKindOf "Helicopter")} && {(_x distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 Error position: <distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 Error Generic error in expression
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 File x\alive\addons\main\fnc_anyPlayersInRangeIncludeAir.sqf, line 46
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 Error in expression <nil "_x") then {((_x select 2 select 2) distance _currentPosition < 200) && {!((>
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 Error position: <distance _currentPosition < 200) && {!((>
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 Error distance: Type Bool, expected Array,Object,Location
2014/02/17, 21:11:12 File x\alive\addons\sys_profile\fnc_profileSimulator.sqf, line 173
2014/02/17, 21:11:14 Error in expression <icle _x isKindOf "Helicopter")} && {(_x distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:14 Error position: <distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:14 Error distance: Type Bool, expected Array,Object,Location
2014/02/17, 21:11:14 File x\alive\addons\main\fnc_anyPlayersInRangeIncludeAir.sqf, line 46
2014/02/17, 21:11:14 Error in expression <icle _x isKindOf "Helicopter")} && {(_x distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:14 Error position: <distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:14 Error Generic error in expression
2014/02/17, 21:11:14 File x\alive\addons\main\fnc_anyPlayersInRangeIncludeAir.sqf, line 46
2014/02/17, 21:11:15 Error in expression <nil "_x") then {((_x select 2 select 2) distance _currentPosition < 200) && {!((>
2014/02/17, 21:11:15 Error position: <distance _currentPosition < 200) && {!((>
2014/02/17, 21:11:15 Error distance: Type Bool, expected Array,Object,Location
2014/02/17, 21:11:15 File x\alive\addons\sys_profile\fnc_profileSimulator.sqf, line 173
2014/02/17, 21:11:17 Error in expression <icle _x isKindOf "Helicopter")} && {(_x distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:17 Error position: <distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:17 Error distance: Type Bool, expected Array,Object,Location
2014/02/17, 21:11:17 File x\alive\addons\main\fnc_anyPlayersInRangeIncludeAir.sqf, line 46
2014/02/17, 21:11:17 Error in expression <icle _x isKindOf "Helicopter")} && {(_x distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:17 Error position: <distance _position < _spawnDistance)}) |>
2014/02/17, 21:11:17 Error Generic error in expression
2014/02/17, 21:11:17 File x\alive\addons\main\fnc_anyPlayersInRangeIncludeAir.sqf, line 46
2014/02/17, 21:11:18 soldier[O_Soldier_AR_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
2014/02/17, 21:11:18 soldier[O_Soldier_AR_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
2014/02/17, 21:11:18 soldier[O_Soldier_LAT_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
2014/02/17, 21:11:18 soldier[O_Soldier_LAT_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
2014/02/17, 21:11:18 Protocol bin\config.bin/RadioProtocolPER/: Missing word all
2014/02/17, 21:11:18 Protocol bin\config.bin/RadioProtocolPER/: Missing word allGroup
2014/02/17, 21:11:19 Error in expression <nil "_x") then {((_x select 2 select 2) distance _currentPosition < 200) && {!((>
2014/02/17, 21:11:19 Error position: <distance _currentPosition < 200) && {!((>
2014/02/17, 21:11:19 Error distance: Type Bool, expected Array,Object,Location
2014/02/17, 21:11:19 File x\alive\addons\sys_profile\fnc_profileSimulator.sqf, line 173
2014/02/17, 21:11:19 Error in expression <all ALIVE_fnc_dump;
};

Edited by Logitrust

Maybe i have to study and still understand alive at a decent level but what do you mean with profiled units and medium scaled scenarios ? What i see is that alive fill anyway all the map with target and friendly and enemy units. Myabe the size of units depends from how many military placement i put on map and from their size ?

As ALiVE doesnt restrict you in placing MIL/CIV MP modules keep in mind: if you are using a huge of amount of MIL/CIV MP modules which again create a huge amount of virtual groups, you can also overload the engine. With too many "real" AI created near the players you will impact performance heavily - and you all know the good old ArmA AI performance issue, there is no magic on that. So try to keep a an eye on amount of MIL/CIV MP modules and density of virtual groups (f.e. use more TAOR markers on one MIL/CIV module instead of using a seperate MIL/CIV MP module per TAOR marker / Filter small + medium CIV objectives). See our demo missions for examples.

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Hi Sorry for that.

I´ve reported some days ago that the Combat Support Helis doesnt land at the US Carrier in Utes.

Savage reccomended me to put some visible helipads there but without good results.

It seems that the helis doesnt recognize the carrier nor the helipads there, I´m getting:

"Unable to comply at the desgignated coordinates"

Mi question was if you have the opportunity to check it?

BR

Sorry, i think gunny mentioned that the carrier surface is not detected correctly (as water), and im not sure if we got any time to look into that specific issue soon mate - we must #advance#

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

This might belong as a general plea made in mission editing but since ALiVE is the main reason I want to do it I thought I'd ask here first, in case anyone else has done similar.

I got ALiVE to place profiles and start up quite quickly at mission start but there is still quite a bit of stutters and lag in the first 60 seconds or so after it begins (not all entirely due to ALiVE, I'm sure). Similarly, players joining immediately often get a few seconds to see a few TAOR markers on the map before ALiVE has a chance to remove them.

Is there a way to create a delay before players actually spawn into the game, so the server has a moment to get settled first? I've been searching the forums but I'm not sure what is the best search terms to use and I end up with hundreds of meaningless results...

I have onLoadMission = **Please wait, the mission may take a few minutes to load***; to warn the players... now how do I actually create that extra "stare at a screen doing nothing" time?

Thanks!

With a correctly set up misson, everything initialises before briefing, so they wont see flashing markers.

For an intro, you can easily put a blackscreen in init.sqf on mission start, with some zoom on player - see our demo missions, in this case again the Foursome!

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

this mod is insane - brilliantly insane. :-) thanks for the great work.

have another small problem... access to arty support (had it working fine alongside transport and CAS) kind of disappeared after play-testing a few hours.

the battery still shows up in the support dialog but with no further options and it doesn't say combat ineffective.

tried resyncing the module, restarting Arma3, deleting the arty support module, recreating and resyncing. basically everything i could think of.

even went to visit the battery and theres a mean looking self-propelled howitzer sitting at the module location.

Oh, how i needed its help sometimes!

any further ideas?

Happy, that you like the mod! I havent noticed anything like that but honestly, I very likely havent tried to call in Arty after several hours! Will have an eye on that, thanks for the spot.

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Hi guys!

We have some error spamming our server .rpt and i think it could be related to one of the alive modules. Anyboy have any idee what it could be or where to search/test?

Not all units are profiled, and we are running a separat spawnscript for all vehicles. Im not shure if it that could be the reason.

All military placements on opfor side is running force weighting: random

had been awesome if one of in the ALiVE team would had time to take a look.

(think the "soldier[O_Soldier_AR_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?" error is related to our vas mod. i think)

Any feedback is appreciated here :-)

Tnx.

.rpt error here (server been running in 3 days):

If something is spamming your RPT, dont post the log without code spoiler tags in here please! Please help us keep it structured and upload your vanilla ALiVE mission (ideally with some repro) to our tracker please!

---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Hey!

Thanks for the Alive Mountain War mission.. I really like the full scale battle aspect. This mission also runs very well despite the amount of profiles on it.

THANK you!

For trying out our mod, and getting back to us!

Edited by highhead

Are you using the A10c mod by any chance?

I know there is a conflict in that they use the same custom key 20 (Admin actions in ALiVE=click crosshair in A-10C). I was trying to run the A-10C in ALiVE with Fallujah_v12 , noted the conflict and took it out, and everything worked for a while and then no more. However, I found that it seems to have "spread" to other islands as well. I also updated ALiVE to a new revision somewhere in there too. Maybe its still embedded somewhere in the code (I searched and deleted everything A-10 related I could find the sqf), or it could be a version skew issue, but no luck yet finding out what.

Edited by MissionCreep

Thanks for the quick reply - yep, only one BL marker in use in the mission and only referred to in one module.

Did you try to make the marker much bigger than the zone you want to blacklist? Today, I placed a BL marker on Stratis airfield and units spawned on it anyway. To solve the problem, I made the marker much bigger than the zone itself (the airfield) and it worked. No unit spawned.

With a correctly set up misson, everything initialises before briefing, so they wont see flashing markers.

For an intro, you can easily put a blackscreen in init.sqf on mission start, with some zoom on player - see our demo missions, in this case again the Foursome!

Thanks!!! What an excellent example. It works like a treat! I also found "showmap=0;" for the Description.ext is a big plus too. It turns out that ALiVE wasn't the bit leaving markers on the map... My mission is also running a pretty extensive EOS implementation that took a few seconds to process correctly. Between showmap and the intro I have now (based on the one in Foursome) it's no longer a problem :)

Happy, that you like the mod! I havent noticed anything like that but honestly, I very likely havent tried to call in Arty after several hours! Will have an eye on that, thanks for the spot.

Just to clarify - I never survived more than about half an hour before having to restart - it gets pretty hairy out there. :eek:

I think i may have found the source of the problem.

I realised that since having arty support working completely fine, I had added a BIS support requestor synced to player and to a supply drop (virtual) module.

I tried deleting the supply drop stuff and voila, ALiVE arty was back available again.

So you might want to look into the possibility that the ALiVE and BIS support modules do not "play nice" with each other.

I was going to raise a ticket with a repro mission but when i created a new simple mission last night for that purpose i didn't have the same problem. :confused:

I went back to my main mission, deleted the BIS support modules, recreated and resynced and the problem is gone.

So if it should happen again, I have a solution to try.

If you want me to add as an issue on devheaven i would be happy to but as I couldn't provide a reliable repro mission, I decided best not to for now.

Thanks to undead for the tip about increasing marker size a bit, I will give that a whirl.

Just to clarify - I never survived more than about half an hour before having to restart - it gets pretty hairy out there. :eek:

I think i may have found the source of the problem.

I realised that since having arty support working completely fine, I had added a BIS support requestor synced to player and to a supply drop (virtual) module.

I tried deleting the supply drop stuff and voila, ALiVE arty was back available again.

So you might want to look into the possibility that the ALiVE and BIS support modules do not "play nice" with each other.

I was going to raise a ticket with a repro mission but when i created a new simple mission last night for that purpose i didn't have the same problem. :confused:

I went back to my main mission, deleted the BIS support modules, recreated and resynced and the problem is gone.

So if it should happen again, I have a solution to try.

If you want me to add as an issue on devheaven i would be happy to but as I couldn't provide a reliable repro mission, I decided best not to for now.

Thanks to undead for the tip about increasing marker size a bit, I will give that a whirl.

Mate, "I never survived more than about half an hour before having to restart"

--> I really suggest you run up a local dedicated server (or Host, but dedi is just better) even if you want to play alone (instead of SP)!

a. The mission wont end, you will just respawn and can play for days.

b. the clientside FPS is a gazillion times better, as you offload some of the heavy calcs to a seperate process (arma3server.exe)!

As for incompatibility with BIS support module, we would really need a repro mate, otherwise im not sure what to do about it.

Since the most recent ALIVE and BIS updates, my unit has not been able to play ALIVE on our dedicated server. When we launch a mission, ALIVE complains that the BIS executable is an unsupported version. Oddly, we are all able to connect to that server and ALIVE missions run just fine on our local machines.

Any ideas?

Since the most recent ALIVE and BIS updates, my unit has not been able to play ALIVE on our dedicated server. When we launch a mission, ALIVE complains that the BIS executable is an unsupported version. Oddly, we are all able to connect to that server and ALIVE missions run just fine on our local machines.

Any ideas?

The server very likely runs either a different server binary (f.e. the unofficial "perf" test server binaries) or A3 dev branch, whereas you are on latest stable (correctly) and (only) get that warning, when connecting to a server with a different version than the supported one! Thats intended, as we can't support different versions floating around, due to possible map object index changes - and its only a warning for clients! If ALiVE is running fine, then the server uses our closed testers branch version, where we enabled running A3 DEV build & and other server binaries on own risk and for testing and development reasons only.

Edited by highhead

Mate, "I never survived more than about half an hour before having to restart"

--> I really suggest you run up a local dedicated server (or Host, but dedi is just better) even if you want to play alone (instead of SP)!

a. The mission wont end, you will just respawn and can play for days.

b. the clientside FPS is a gazillion times better, as you offload some of the heavy calcs to a seperate process (arma3server.exe)!

As for incompatibility with BIS support module, we would really need a repro mate, otherwise im not sure what to do about it.

Was just playing around and getting a feel for things in the editor so far but i will try out running a server for sure when satisfied with the result.

Personally i like the death is final edge to having no respawn, and the chance for a breather / tea or beer refill is quite welcome :D

For performance reasons alone I'll definitely take the advice, thanks.

Re: BIS support - Fair enough, hence why i didn't waste your time with raising a bug report ;)

But if it happens again I will upload the mission.

Cheers!

If something is spamming your RPT, dont post the log without code spoiler tags in here please! Please help us keep it structured and upload your vanilla ALiVE mission (ideally with some repro) to our tracker please!

Rgr, all inside the code spoiler now. Where to find your tracker to post the vanilla .pbo of the mission?

Thnx in advance

Anyone that has had issues with blacklist and TAOR markers in the past, I have found an issue with the underlying function we use to determine if a cluster (location) is within a marker. Please see here for details

http://dev.withsix.com/issues/74033

But the TLDR version is:

Do not use non circular ellipse markers, only use perfect circles or rectangles for markers!

I will add this to the FAQ on the wiki