wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

KH Arma3 Weekly Tactical ALiVE Event Nights - Week 5

Wednesday 12th February 2014

Mission: ALiVE Battlegrounds

Island: Sahrani

A short video by [KH]Dr.Crow

Is there any chance that at some point (probably way down the line) you could add a mode where the OPCOM is replaced by a player, because I imagine it would be quite fun to have a player in overall command of the friendly forces with other players acting as SF teams or something.

Is it possible to synchronise/add objects to the profiler after a mission has started? I've created a script that spawns ambient vehicles across the entire map, it would be great to add these to the profiler.

I tried using synchronizeObjectsAdd for the both the vehicle and the leader of the vehicle's group. This did not seem to work - vehicles were not being profiled.

Edit:

Jman;2621326']KH Arma3 Weekly Tactical ALiVE Event Nights - Week 5

Wednesday 12th February 2014

Mission: ALiVE Battlegrounds

Island: Sahrani

A short video by [KH]Dr.Crow

Great video btw!

Edited by GDSN

Is there any chance that at some point (probably way down the line) you could add a mode where the OPCOM is replaced by a player, because I imagine it would be quite fun to have a player in overall command of the friendly forces with other players acting as SF teams or something.

That's way out of scope for ALIVE and will never happen (probably). BIS High Command is the closest you can get for that kind of thing.

Hi,

I also need to reply on this request, as friznit did!

I really suggest you take a deep dive into the possiblities of ArmA. ALiVE adds to it, so you could use High Command engine to control visualized troops or add tasks with the help of our script snippets n our wiki. Really there are so many out-of-the-box features in ArmA that help you create an impressive mission! We wont lose time on already existing (and well proved systems), like high command. Really, Also use the ArmA support modules, tasks, high command, Its all about the game overall, mate - and believe me, you will be happy!

laters ;)

is there a way to have particular units not spawn? Just figured out (after going crazy thinking it was something i did) that you cant have "destroy" tasks with ALIVE running because once you step out of the "spawn zone" in alive, it puts that unit in "storage" and simulates it from there but as far as the game is concerned it was deleted and the task of destroying something (unless it was close) is now competed right at the start of the mission. without you even getting a chance to move. Anyway to stop this? or better yet a more robust mission part of the opcom because at its current state it is completely broken (ex. destroy "destroyed house" WHY its already destroyed!....no offence just poking some fun) or if someone knows of a side mission script that would be tops! thanks for any advice or helpful info.

is there a way to have particular units not spawn? Just figured out (after going crazy thinking it was something i did) that you cant have "destroy" tasks with ALIVE running because once you step out of the "spawn zone" in alive, it puts that unit in "storage" and simulates it from there but as far as the game is concerned it was deleted and the task of destroying something (unless it was close) is now competed right at the start of the mission. without you even getting a chance to move. Anyway to stop this? or better yet a more robust mission part of the opcom because at its current state it is completely broken (ex. destroy "destroyed house" WHY its already destroyed!....no offence just poking some fun) or if someone knows of a side mission script that would be tops! thanks for any advice or helpful info.

Mate, i feel your pain, but let me clear some things up.

"you cant have "destroy" tasks with ALIVE running because once you step out of the "spawn zone" in alive, it puts that unit in "storage" and simulates it from there"

--> Sure you can (if you mean "kill all enemies within certain range"), just check not only for "alive units" but for "near players && alive units && timeout of some seconds" in the conditionfield of your trigger. See the Scavengers mission and our ALiVE WIKI page for an example, its really simple and cool!

"the task of destroying something (unless it was close) is now competed right at the start of the mission."

--> Even if you got the triggers to fire correcty there is a BIS bug with tasks beeing completed at mission start on dedicated servers! Its fixed in their dev branch but i got the feeeling there is still something wrong with their task system.

You also need to know that the current OPCOM tasking system is only a workaround for players to not feel completely lost and sent to the action, so no its not broken completely but not as good as we would like to have it, and as it will be when its replaced with our new tasking system, so be patient or turn player taskings off on the module!

I hope I could help!

---------

PS: ad. destroy "destroyed house" -> OPCOM picks up the building nodes of the chosen objectives in MIL/CIV placement! So if you chose settlement or didnt filter for certain infrastructure types like (comms, construction, etc.) it will - out of sheer endless amount of regular civilian builidngs - pick a house to destroy randomly. But if you choose, f.e. comms it would give you a radio tower to destroy, on power it would give you f.e. a transformer, on fuel it would give you a fuel station or fuel tank, etc.). Again, this time see the Foursome demo as an example! And sorry, its nearly impossible to implement blacklists for all 89324723894 maps with 908234234 custom buildings.

Edited by highhead

Is it possible to synchronise/add objects to the profiler after a mission has started? I've created a script that spawns ambient vehicles across the entire map, it would be great to add these to the profiler.

I tried using synchronizeObjectsAdd for the both the vehicle and the leader of the vehicle's group. This did not seem to work - vehicles were not being profiled.

GDSN, take a look at my mission on the website, AS Alamo, it has a script in there that interacts with the profile system to create groups, you may be able to integrate with your existing scripts. Also check the snippets on the wiki.

Im thankful for the fast response.

1. Ok I went throught the scavengers mission and I found the trigger. But Im a but confused on how implement it. I have units that i have manually place (simulating a workers camp) so there 3 patrols walking around and there is also CIVs walking and "working". How would I set it for a task to complete when you kill the patrols? thanks for further clarification.

2. I have a few tasks to destroy AA to kind of section off the map into "zones" so players have to think critically before moving on a HVT....ex there will be a patrol or a AA or mortar that will make it difficult to just roll up on the HVT's main base without taking these defenses out first. However still possible for a skilled squad of players but just really difficult. With these defences in place? does it run the same way as the top but instead of patrols you can just substitute a single unit as a AA?

3. Im not running a dedicated server. I test my MP missions in multiplayer with a recruit script so in case my leadership skills are not up to par that day I can just get new guys to fill the slots and also gives me a good idea of a comfortable amount of enemy units....somewhere between fun and getting into gun fights but also realistic without feeling the need to walk 20km just to get there for 1 guy. So Im not sure if there is another bug based in ALIVE that needs working out or something but Im not sure and dont want to point fingers.

4. Thank you for the extra knowlege about the task types. Did not know that and did test and worked great. One bug i did find with tasks in general was if half my squad dies I wont get anymore tasks from opcom. Even if I recruit more troops. Also It doesnt seem to give me more tasks after the second or third one (rare if i get 3).

Im thankful for the fast response.

1. Ok I went throught the scavengers mission and I found the trigger. But Im a but confused on how implement it. I have units that i have manually place (simulating a workers camp) so there 3 patrols walking around and there is also CIVs walking and "working". How would I set it for a task to complete when you kill the patrols? thanks for further clarification.

2. I have a few tasks to destroy AA to kind of section off the map into "zones" so players have to think critically before moving on a HVT....ex there will be a patrol or a AA or mortar that will make it difficult to just roll up on the HVT's main base without taking these defenses out first. However still possible for a skilled squad of players but just really difficult. With these defences in place? does it run the same way as the top but instead of patrols you can just substitute a single unit as a AA?

3. Im not running a dedicated server. I test my MP missions in multiplayer with a recruit script so in case my leadership skills are not up to par that day I can just get new guys to fill the slots and also gives me a good idea of a comfortable amount of enemy units....somewhere between fun and getting into gun fights but also realistic without feeling the need to walk 20km just to get there for 1 guy. So Im not sure if there is another bug based in ALIVE that needs working out or something but Im not sure and dont want to point fingers.

4. Thank you for the extra knowlege about the task types. Did not know that and did test and worked great. One bug i did find with tasks in general was if half my squad dies I wont get anymore tasks from opcom. Even if I recruit more troops. Also It doesnt seem to give me more tasks after the second or third one (rare if i get 3).

1. I think you might have to place a unit that you don't profile then put an empty OPFOR on the trigger, you can see I do this in my AS Alamo mission on the website to clear the base, the key here is to have the one unit not profiled so it will not trigger before players get in range to clear the location.

2. Same deal as one I would think.

3. Not sure what you mean here.

4. Tasks is very alpha, so hold on for a much nicer task system in future.

What is the difference between running Alive on a dedicated server and me hosting an MP mission on my PC and playing it. Clearly one is just a host, and the other host & client, but are there functional differences and anything that won't work in the latter situation, such as the upcoming persistence module??

Also, I have a simple bit of code in my init which moves the TAOR marker to a random logic. It works fine in preview, but not when exported to MP. I have the code below an if(!isserver) exitwith{} command. I also have random time. The time works, but the marker never moves. What have I done? (I accept this is unlikely to be an Alive issue at all here!)

We had a few days ago a similar problem. ALIVE was working local on our Mission. And on the dedicated we got no spawns. Checked the RTP File. Said Server has different ALIVE Version. But that can´t be. So i find out that the issue was the performance binaries from Dwared (guess they used the code of 1.10 whitout Hotfix). Used the stable Server V1.10 now and Alive ist working like expected.

What is the difference between running Alive on a dedicated server and me hosting an MP mission on my PC and playing it. Clearly one is just a host, and the other host & client, but are there functional differences and anything that won't work in the latter situation, such as the upcoming persistence module??

Also, I have a simple bit of code in my init which moves the TAOR marker to a random logic. It works fine in preview, but not when exported to MP. I have the code below an if(!isserver) exitwith{} command. I also have random time. The time works, but the marker never moves. What have I done? (I accept this is unlikely to be an Alive issue at all here!)

You will get better performance if you run a local dedicated server. For persistence a dedi will be required. No idea about the marker, it probably that ALiVE has setup the locations before your logic fires to move it.

As has been stated fairly regularly, ALIVE only works with Stable branch.

Charlierddog - the issue is that when running a locally hosted LAN game or Mission Editor Preview, everything is local to your client. It is better to run up a Dedicated Server (you can do this on your PC using the server.exe) and join that with your ArmA3 client. There's info about how to do this in the relevant forums.

We had a few days ago a similar problem. ALIVE was working local on our Mission. And on the dedicated we got no spawns. Checked the RTP File. Said Server has different ALIVE Version. But that can´t be. So i find out that the issue was the performance binaries from Dwared (guess they used the code of 1.10 whitout Hotfix). Used the stable Server V1.10 now and Alive ist working like expected.

The latest testers version of ALiVE we have removed the shut down on different versions, and changed it to a warning to fix the performance binary issue. Should be released with the next ALiVE update.

You will get better performance if you run a local dedicated server. For persistence a dedi will be required. No idea about the marker, it probably that ALiVE has setup the locations before your logic fires to move it.

So we will be able to use the persistency with a local dedicated server. Good news. Thanks. When I get home I'll post the code for the marker and see if anyone else can see the problem. It might be something someone else wants to do or has already done in a mission.

Thanks guys.

Hey guys!

I´ve tried it out and doesnt work at all. :(

"Unable to comply".

It seems that doesnt recognize the carrier to land.

I´ve you test it?

Hey Guys did you have the opportunity to test it?

'lo guys.

(Sorry if this has been already asked recently)

We are running long time ago in our Dedi a compilation of TPW_CAS_A3 and ASR_AI3

I was wondering if there are possible conflicts with ALiVE and/or it's catching system

with the above mentioned mods (*especially ASR_AI3)

" When player briefly exit enemy area and come back again do enemy units will maintain their ASR previously tweaked abilities? "

I 've asked the same question on ASR_AI thread (and waiting an estimation)

but *any speculation can lead me to a conclusion.

Thanks

Edited by GiorgyGR

I have coded the LAND Task so that the Heli does not try to land in the water, and drown you all. The code does a surface check, the carrier's deck is not config's properly so it thinks its water.

Try what Savage recommended.

If you mean testing this, then im afraid its not an ALiVE issue, if you do a surface check while on the deck of the carrier it sates its water, and the heli's wont land on water.

'lo guys.

(Sorry if this has been already asked recently)

We are running long time ago in our Dedi a compilation of TPW_CAS_A3 and ASR_AI3

I was wondering if there are possible conflicts with ALiVE and/or it's catching system

with the above mentioned mods (*especially ASR_AI3)

" When player briefly exit enemy area and come back again do enemy units will maintain their ASR previously tweaked abilities? "

I 've asked the same question on ASR_AI thread (and waiting an estimation)

but *any speculation can lead me to a conclusion.

Thanks

If you dont have to init ASR actively, in the editor (by adding something to the units init field) it will maintain the custom settings that you f.e. put in init.sqf, at least im quite sure its fine :)

Just want to thank all of the ALiVE team for all your hard work! I'm relatively new to the scene, and was wondering if you guys thought of having some sort of repository for player made ALiVE missions?

Cheers!

Just want to thank all of the ALiVE team for all your hard work! I'm relatively new to the scene, and was wondering if you guys thought of having some sort of repository for player made ALiVE missions?

Cheers!

The wiki has a section where you can submit unofficial missions or you can PM them to me with some details and I will post them up.

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Community_Missions

Other ALiVE missions are available here:

http://www.alivemod.com/missions

Cheers!

Thanks Etzuu and :welcome: to the ArmA Community