wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Just uploaded a video tutorial on how to set up a "quick and dirty" insurgency setting with ALiVE. In this example I use Clafghan but the same "template" idea should work on any similar map.

NOTE: I state in the video you NEED a laser designator. The only thing you really need the laser designator for is to call the CAS module, which I don't even cover in this video. Still, if you get in the habit of equipping one whenever you are building an ALiVE mission you will be ready for CAS when that time comes ;) (Thanks for pointing that out, ARJay!)

Edited by Oktyabr
added NOTE

Thanks to those who've answered my questions, looks like I have a mission that works in about 20minutes of actual editor time. That really says it all to me. When persistency arrives, this thing will be even better than it already is, and that's pretty special already!

Now the inevitable questions:

1. On the subject of persistency, will we only be able to register dedicated servers, or will pc player hosts be able to use that as well?

2. I'm presuming that the player persistency module does absolutely nothing at present?

3. Is there some kind of feedback like a radio message to the player when friendly AI either capture or lose an objective location or does this require use of the INTEL or sector modules?

Ok cheers.

Any chance we can turn that off ?

Nope sorry, we just coded it this way because that's what everyone else asked for. Can't please everyone! If you make AAF hostile to NATO, they won't be able to share assets. Otoh, if they're supposed to be on the same side, just tell the players to use their allocated support only.

Charliereddog - it's mainly focused on dedi servers, though it would work if you ran a 'local dedi' and joined it from your own PC (actually a recommended approach for best performance in ALIVE anyway). You're correct in saying the module currently does nothing. Your kit & location does save at the moment if you disconnect, but this does not remain between server restarts so it's not true Persistence yet.

No AI feedback on locations changing state - that's only available from Intel/Sector feedback. It might be something we'll look at in future as things mature.

Edited by friznit2

having an issue with the opcom module, I place it down and sync it with the mill placement modules (doesnt matter oppfor to bluefor or vise versa) and nothing happens. Just a bunch of units are spawned and they just walk around. I have the markers, and all that. When I watched the videos, the guy got a "hint" that oppcom was working....I dont get anything. so any idea what it could be? downgraded to the newest stable build of arma.

Is your OPCOM module synced to both blufor and opfor placement modules (so OPCOM knows what to attack/defend)? Otherwise units will spawn but only hang around their objective.

I think those hints are from a previous version of ALiVE.

yes they are synced correctly. exactly like the video shows. actually Iam recreating that exact same mission so i understand how everything works. do you have any other solutions. re downloaded CBA again thinking it might be that, (haven't updated it since A3 alpha) but no, it didn't change anything. I had debug activated and I did see 1 unit have a waypoint in the other base but it started to walk/drive into the ocean. everything is exactly as the video instructs. same names of the markers, same setting as far as modules go, everything.....

not sure... note that groups that are spawned in do NOT show waypoints like the profiled 'virtual' groups. If you like PM me your mission (vanilla ALiVE please..no other addons) and I'll take a look at it.

Just got the Iron Front mod for A3 to work with Alive and wanted to check out the Alive "The Grind" sample mission. I do get an error for deleted content though when trying to open the mission in the editor: "lib_core_eventhandlers". Everything else seems to work fine.

Yeah got that error too... not really an ALiVE error and it doesn't seem to affect anything as you said.

On the N'Ziwasogo map when running side missions for fun me and my friend can never complete the mission to destroy the house that uses Land_Mil_House from Arma II. The author modded it to include a conex possibly from Arma 3 that runs cables out to a radio tower there is also a fuel tank that is indestructible at same locations. When you blow up the building the conex and the fuel tank is still there and the mission never completes. You all have made a great mod thank you. At the airfield building ID's 900 and 902.

Edited by Fltmed
Added building ID's

What's the requirements for terrains to work well with alive sangin always worked well with mso but i always thought some custom names for spawning different things in would be a good way to go i know we have a few but thought maybe we could expand on them to get more use out of the mso\alive as it did spawn stuff in some weird places at times. It would be good to have more names\markers for animals to spawn in fields or ai with animations working in fields or vulnerable points for ied to spawn in a realistic manner so you can get that bit more realism when placing enemy or ieds on tight channeled ground means it would not be so random for spawning stuff in, if the terrain has more predefined markers and alive would pick em up and spit out what is needed for that marker.

at the moment we have this

Hill

BorderCrossing

VegetationBroadleaf

VegetationFir

VegetationPalm

VegetationVineyard

NameMarine

NameCityCapital

NameCity

NameVillage

NameLocal

RockArea

ViewPoint

what we could have is this

arable field

vulnerable point

ambush marker

roadblock

satashed arms cache

ied spawn marker

ied factory

fob

police station

OP

reinforcements

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

Hey guys. BTC Revive stopped working on one of my ALiVE missions last night, after updating to the latest ALiVE version from the website. It also stopped the Base and Mobile Spawn revive points from working as well (they were previously working).

I'm also running the Dynamic Civilian Life script in this missions. init.sqf file looks like this...

[] execVM "DCL\init.sqf";
call compile preprocessFile "=BTC=_revive\=BTC=_revive_init.sqf";

Anyone know the reason?

What's the requirements for terrains to work well with alive sangin always worked well with mso but i always thought some custom names for spawning different things in would be a good way to go i know we have a few but thought maybe we could expand on them to get more use out of the mso\alive as it did spawn stuff in some weird places at times. It would be good to have more names\markers for animals to spawn in fields or ai with animations working in fields or vulnerable points for ied to spawn in a realistic manner so you can get that bit more realism when placing enemy or ieds on tight channeled ground means it would not be so random for spawning stuff in, if the terrain has more predefined markers and alive would pick em up and spit out what is needed for that marker.

Hi SmokeDog, I'll send you a PM on this one shortly :)

Just a small visual glitch with the latest stable, @alive seems to cause some scrollbars in the GUI to appear completely white.

Just a small visual glitch with the latest stable, @alive seems to cause some scrollbars in the GUI to appear completely white.

There was a change by BIS on the scrollbars in the stable of a week ago. All looks fine on our side. Can you please open a ticket with a repro mission, thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Hey guys. BTC Revive stopped working on one of my ALiVE missions last night, after updating to the latest ALiVE version from the website. It also stopped the Base and Mobile Spawn revive points from working as well (they were previously working).

I'm also running the Dynamic Civilian Life script in this missions. init.sqf file looks like this...

[] execVM "DCL\init.sqf";
call compile preprocessFile "=BTC=_revive\=BTC=_revive_init.sqf";

Anyone know the reason?

This is the ALiVE thread, if you got issues with other mods/scripts etc. that we have not explicitly stated as confirmed working and supported then please tell the mod/script makers of the "offending" script that isnt working anymore.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

On the N'Ziwasogo map when running side missions for fun me and my friend can never complete the mission to destroy the house that uses Land_Mil_House from Arma II. The author modded it to include a conex possibly from Arma 3 that runs cables out to a radio tower there is also a fuel tank that is indestructible at same locations. When you blow up the building the conex and the fuel tank is still there and the mission never completes. You all have made a great mod thank you. At the airfield building ID's 900 and 902.

Some buildings seem to have broken configs, so they cant be destroyed. If its a BIS builidng then open a ticket on their feedback tracker, if its a 3rd party addon then please tell the addon maker! You can also turn player tasks off if it doesnt work on your custom map.

Good morning guys. Managed to have an hour or so play time last night on the mission I've made using ALIVE and noticed a couple of things which maybe down to my misunderstanding.

1) I've added 2 choppers and 2 FA18's as CAS. I called in one of the choppers who flew over an enemy town, seemed to get shot down and then I got a message along the lines of "We have no more CAS assets" from crossroads. By my reckoning I still had 3 assets left?

2) When I send a transport chopper home using the RTB button, when he arrives I get a message from crossroads, but not identifying the unit. This is a bit confusing when you have multiple transport assets. Maybe something could be done in a future release at low priority though obviously.

3) I had a single arty support module placed. I called in "full rate of fire" and 6 rounds of HE. I'm pretty sure although I didn't count exactly that there were somewhere in the region of 15+ rounds that landed before I moved away from the area as I was getting shook up pretty bad lol :) Is the arty module actually supposed to be working yet, or is it caveat emptor at the moment?

Even with these little niggles it was still the easiest to set up, and funnest mission I've played in ARMA 3 to date.

Good morning guys. Managed to have an hour or so play time last night on the mission I've made using ALIVE and noticed a couple of things which maybe down to my misunderstanding.

1) I've added 2 choppers and 2 FA18's as CAS. I called in one of the choppers who flew over an enemy town, seemed to get shot down and then I got a message along the lines of "We have no more CAS assets" from crossroads. By my reckoning I still had 3 assets left?

2) When I send a transport chopper home using the RTB button, when he arrives I get a message from crossroads, but not identifying the unit. This is a bit confusing when you have multiple transport assets. Maybe something could be done in a future release at low priority though obviously.

3) I had a single arty support module placed. I called in "full rate of fire" and 6 rounds of HE. I'm pretty sure although I didn't count exactly that there were somewhere in the region of 15+ rounds that landed before I moved away from the area as I was getting shook up pretty bad lol :) Is the arty module actually supposed to be working yet, or is it caveat emptor at the moment?

Even with these little niggles it was still the easiest to set up, and funnest mission I've played in ARMA 3 to date.

1) I see where you are going here and yes that message can be quite confusing, basically the Combat Support Module now has a respawn number so when you lose an asset, a new asset will respawn after the defined time set in the module, when the respawn number gets to 0 or one is not set you will get a message stating there are no assets left to respawn\resupply, not that there are 0 assets available.

2) Please log a ticket in our tracker I will look into it.

3) Arty is very much still WIP as there are some BIS issues as well that are effecting it. However the round counts are fine, what ammo type did you select?

1) I see where you are going here and yes that message can be quite confusing, basically the Combat Support Module now has a respawn number so when you lose an asset, a new asset will respawn after the defined time set in the module, when the respawn number gets to 0 or one is not set you will get a message stating there are no assets left to respawn\resupply, not that there are 0 assets available.

Ah. I understand now. I have set the respawn to zero so that makes sense.

2) Please log a ticket in our tracker I will look into it.

Will do.

3) Arty is very much still WIP as there are some BIS issues as well that are effecting it. However the round counts are fine, what ammo type did you select?

I fired bog standard HE. Maybe it was secondary explosions? I did get a "rounds complete" message mid way through the explosions so will have to have another test and see if I can replicate. I'll fire at an empty hill and see what happens. If I still get an anomaly then I'll raise that as a ticket too?

Ah. I understand now. I have set the respawn to zero so that makes sense.

Will do.

I fired bog standard HE. Maybe it was secondary explosions? I did get a "rounds complete" message mid way through the explosions so will have to have another test and see if I can replicate. I'll fire at an empty hill and see what happens. If I still get an anomaly then I'll raise that as a ticket too?

Yes please, it might just have been Happy Hour 2 Rounds for the price of 1 ;)

Alive team,

I may have stumbled upon why my placements where not initilizing the last week and hence Alive,not working for me.

Just wanted to report this as im not sure if you have a page to keep track of conflicting mods,or scripts.But i beleive Norrins revive script,and Alive are conflicting at mssion start somehow,both your mod and the script seem to work only half of the time.

I just read somewhere else that someone else experienced something like this a while back.

Maybe others are too.

Alive team,

I may have stumbled upon why my placements where not initilizing the last week and hence Alive,not working for me.

Just wanted to report this as im not sure if you have a page to keep track of conflicting mods,or scripts.But i beleive Norrins revive script,and Alive are conflicting at mssion start somehow, both your mod and the script seem to work only half of the time.

I just read somewhere else that someone else experienced something like this a while back.

Maybe others are too.

Hey mate,

isn't Norrins Revive an A2 revive script, is there a ported A3 version?

if its a script and no mod, you could upload your mission to our tracker though I can't promise to look into it, as we got some other tasks on the list atm!

thanks mate

I know personally that Norrin is not actively supporting his revive script until Arma3 multiplayer is more stable and out of beta so to be honest I'd stay clear of it at the moment. Suggest you try =BTC= revive, you can grab a working version with ALiVE from say Pyrgos Assault on our sample missions page. Also check out my posts in the =BTC= Revive thread as I've made some changes to it since A3 1.10 as Giallustio is busy with other things right now.

A future release of ALiVE will include a revive module of it's own similar to BTC and Norrin's.

Edited by [KH]Jman

Jman;2612740']I know personally that Norrin is not actively supporting his revive script until Arma3 multiplayer is more stable and out of beta so to be honest I'd stay clear of it at the moment. Suggest you try =BTC= revive' date=' you can grab a working version with ALiVE from say Pyrgos Assault on our sample missions page. Also check out my posts in the =BTC= Revive thread as I've made some changes to it since A3 1.10 as Giallustio is busy with other things right now.

A future release of ALiVE will include a revive module of it's own similar to BTC and Norrin's.

Sounds fantastic to have a revive module in ALIVE as i lay only single player and no save really makes missions frustrating when i die.Hence i cannot use BTC as its MP only.

@highhead- yeah norrin made a ported version for that script works the exact same way i beleive.

Incidentally if people want to track things that do or do not work with ALiVE, feel free to add to the wiki :)

Edit: or not, since after a week of up time the spam bots have discovered it and we've had to lock it down until we get around to installing anti spammage. gg interwebs.

Edited by friznit2

Will take a look thanks.

Im really enjoying Alive guys,it seems to be more stable on my end now,if it dosent initilize properly on start,a quick restart or 5 seems to do the trick!

Kind of on topic of the revive,since i know now i cant use norrins,does any one know a simple way i can make myself or AI respawn using existing arma modules or alternitave scripts that may work with alive?

I tried looking but i just find stuff that makes not much sense to me,and cant imagine being able to play with no save and team wipes 10mins into an alive mission.